Ladder Smogon Triples

Ho-oh effectively loses one of its biggest disadvantages (Almost nobody uses Stealth Rock in Triples), and meanwhile it's monstrously bulky and plenty hard hitting with, of course, Sacred Fire access. I'm not seeing it unbanned anytime soon.

Mewtwo is absurdly flexible, lightning fast, and very powerful. While I'd love to run it so I could have another Hurricane user in Rain (And Gravity), it's completely bonkers to unban it in Smogon Triples.

Groudon is also plenty powerful.

Regular Rayquaza is... not overly powerful? Maybe? It's Speed tier is painful...

.... honestly, looking over the list of bans (It's small), regular Rayquaza is the only one I'm spacing on a good argument against unbanning it, which isn't the same thing as saying it's a good idea. It still offers a crazy powerful Draco Meteor, it has access to V-Create, it's the superior weather-block choice by far, and 95 Speed is still outrunning a lot of things -and there's tons of things you can do to support it, like setting Tailwind.
Ho-oh: The reason I brought up ho-oh is its typing and speed tier- basically everything everything that checks and counters charizard, also counters this thing, and although it has a lot more bulk, it is slower in regular play opening it up to new threats and still under sped by most mons in trick room. Although yes there are very little stealth rocks in this meta, rock moves are everywhere between Mega Diancie and the glut of fast rock slide abusers- Landorus, Garchomp, Terrakion, Aerodactyl among others. There is also the threat against rain and strong water type spam, as well as mons such as Mega Manectric, which although unable to ohko, can deal some serious damage for an opponent. I think it would be much easter to handle without putting too much stress on team building and would add a really interesting offensive or defensive option for your team.

Mewtwo: yeah in hindsight this thing is too powerful, it's speed tier means that it can nuke most of its checks and counters and with a little quick guard support this thing isn't dying without taking one or two mons doing it, all with its superb supporting move pool.

Groudon: On the fence with this one. Adds another check to rain teams and gives sun incredible support with or without Charizard Y. It's not its attack power but rather it's bulk that in hindsight I worry may be too much for the tier. Although I'd like to see it tested, I won't get my hopes up.

Rayquaza- As much a Nuke Dragon ascent ray is, it's slow speed tier, typing and frailty after using the move leave it a sitting duck on the field. Extreme speed and V Create give it unique coverage and priority, but I think in the three on three meta it wouldn't be overpowered. Rays probably a lot more splashable on teams than ho-oh, but similarly, it's speed issues mean it faces threats from pretty much every dragon check and counter in existence. Fairy's, ice and dragon types are in no shortage in triples and I think he'd make a top tier threat again without being broken.

With how often Rock Slide is seen in this meta, I don't think unbanning Ho-oh would be that awful. Especially with so many intimidaters and gravity users running around. The rest might be a little strong for the meta, but I don't think adding Ho-oh would be that harmful. Worst case scenario, it can always be re-banned.

This discussion has me thinking though, is there the possibility of making tiers for Triples? For example, Doubles has standard, Ubers, and UU. I know Triples is not quite as popular, but does anyone else think it might be fun to have an Ubers and UU Triples format?

With how often Rock Slide is seen in this meta, I don't think unbanning Ho-oh would be that awful. Especially with so many intimidaters and gravity users running around. The rest might be a little strong for the meta, but I don't think adding Ho-oh would be that harmful. Worst case scenario, it can always be re-banned.

This discussion has me thinking though, is there the possibility of making tiers for Triples? For example, Doubles has standard, Ubers, and UU. I know Triples is not quite as popular, but does anyone else think it might be fun to have an Ubers and UU Triples format?
Nah, Ho-Oh would be way too strong. A 4x weakness to rock slide doesn't stop Charizard and Talonflame from being some of the strongest pokes in the meta and it wouldn't stop Ho-Oh either. It has fantastic bulk, strong attack, a powerful STAB that hits any side of the field, a powerful STAB that has a 50% chance to burn, Regenerator to compliment its bulk, and even though it's speed isnt the most amazing thing ever, Triples has speed control on literally every good team and Ho-Oh gets tailwind as well. I can't imagine this thing being healthy in the meta at all.

Also, tiers would be cool but I don't think anyone would want to create them since Triples doesn't have a lot of attention. But Ubers games could easily be done between friends if you did a custom game. For UU, you'd have to look at usage stats but it could also be done with friends pretty easily.

It has fantastic bulk, strong attack, a powerful STAB that hits any side of the field, a powerful STAB that has a 50% chance to burn, Regenerator to compliment its bulk, and even though it's speed isnt the most amazing thing ever, Triples has speed control on literally every good team and Ho-Oh gets tailwind as well.
Good point, I forgot about how bulky Ho-oh actually is. I feel like Talonflame remains more relevant because of Gale Wings which does help screw with TR teams, but I did the difference in frailty between the two really does set them apart. Trying some custom games including Ho-oh maybe fun though (I hadn't realized custom games were an option, I feel like I'm always finding out new stuff about SD and Smogon in general, haha.)

Good point, I forgot about how bulky Ho-oh actually is. I feel like Talonflame remains more relevant because of Gale Wings which does help screw with TR teams, but I did the difference in frailty between the two really does set them apart. Trying some custom games including Ho-oh maybe fun though (I hadn't realized custom games were an option, I feel like I'm always finding out new stuff about SD and Smogon in general, haha.)
Yeah, showdown has some nifty options.

Another thing I forgot to say about tiering triples, UU would be complete ass lol. Triples on showdown still needs a lot more time to develop and get attention from better players before a UU is ever made because the current ladder trends are borderline retarded and if there were to be a triples UU now, there would be ridiculously good pokemon in it like Mega Diancie, Mega Salamence, Keldeo and some others that i'm probably forgetting.

Is there ever going to be a suspect on Terracott? It's horrible, overcentralizing, overpowered nonsense that can beat literally any other strategy, most of them by overwhelming them with sheer force, and the rest by Terracott having prepared for the few things that have any chance of countering it. Nothing else comes close to its degree of effectiveness, and I personally am sick of facing Terracott. The best-case scenario is basically a string of 50/50s where failing any of them causes you to lose, which is horrible.

Who exactly is considered the leader for Smogon Triples anyway? Is there a council or anything? Is there even any way to get a suspect initiated?

I am suprised there is no viability ranking for Smogon Triples or is there no interest by the active players to support such thread?

I am suprised there is no viability ranking for Smogon Triples or is there no interest by the active players to support such thread?
I'd support it and I'm sure others would as well but triples doesn't really have a lot of activity so that's probably why.

I would actually be pretty interested in starting that but idk if it'd have enough support.

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd support it and I'm sure others would as well but triples doesn't really have a lot of activity so that's probably why.

I would actually be pretty interested in starting that but idk if it'd have enough support.
I would love to help make one. I can talk to someone in charge of Other Metas and see if we could get approval to start one. Or see if there is a reason that there isn't one. I'll do that and report back how it goes.

So, hey! I'm #1 on the Battle Spot Triples ladder right now, and, for lack of matches on it, decided to start laddering in Smogon Triples. Climbed to top 40 with no losses on my first night, and plan to keep going. I was able to do this with a simple but well-constructed Terracott team, even keeping the item-clause restrictions from its Battle Spot version, as my main team on that ladder makes use of Dark Void Smeargle, which isn't eligible here.

Which brings me to a few points for discussion.

1) Both ladders are relatively awful, being unprepared for common triples treats compared to Wi-Fi teams and unrepresentative of the real meta. I wish they weren't split, as I feel a healthy meta for actually getting non-Japanese players onto Wi-Fi rankings could be achieved with a more active environment on Showdown, it being the great testing tool it is.

2) I haven't yet seen anything functionally different between the metas except that Smogon Triples may actually be less prepared to deal with certain cheese strategies like Terracott for a lack of Dark Void, which, itself, is quite manageable and certainly a less centralizing than the aforementioned Beat Up combo. There are certainly other ways around it, but I'm generally feeling a lot more confident about Terracott cheese on this ladder than on Battle Spot, either Showdown's ladder or in-game.

3) Given the state of the ladder, I seriously wonder if Perish Trap may have been banned prematurely. I haven't hit it either on Wi-Fi or at all climbing the Battle Spot Showdown ladder, and its main practitioners appear nowhere in PGL's top 12. Usually if a strategy becomes dominant or abusable, they'll appear there. (And then maybe fall off as players adjust, which is general meta stuff; so maybe they were up there at some point, in which case it means something was capable of making it inconsistent enough to abandon as a go-to.) It seems like it was banned fairly early into the life-cycle of the meta here; I think it's worth looking into the Japanese meta and why it doesn't appear to be centralizing there.

Hoping to get some discussion on these! Also just bump this thread in general. And although this probably seems like it came down fairly hard on Smogon Triples, I didn't intend it to. While I still don't fully support running two similar ladders at this point, while the playerbase is so small, I'm more interested in strong players and an engaging meta developing for the format in general.

Last edited:
So, hey! I'm #1 on the Battle Spot Triples ladder right now, and, for lack of matches on it, decided to start laddering in Smogon Triples. Climbed to top 40 with no losses on my first night, and plan to keep going. I was able to do this with a simple but well-constructed Terracott team, even keeping the item-clause restrictions from its Battle Spot version, as my main team on that ladder makes use of Dark Void Smeargle, which isn't eligible here.

Which brings me to a few points for discussion.

1) Both ladders are relatively awful, being unprepared for common triples treats compared to Wi-Fi teams and unrepresentative of the real meta. I wish they weren't split, as I feel a healthy meta for actually getting non-Japanese players onto Wi-Fi rankings could be achieved with a more active environment on Showdown, it being the great testing tool it is.

2) I haven't yet seen anything functionally different between the metas except that Smogon Triples may actually be less prepared to deal with certain cheese strategies like Terracott for a lack of Dark Void, which, itself, is quite manageable and certainly a less centralizing than the aforementioned Beat Up combo. There are certainly other ways around it, but I'm generally feeling a lot more confident about Terracott cheese on this ladder than on Battle Spot, either Showdown's ladder or in-game.

3) Given the state of the ladder, I seriously wonder if Perish Trap may have been banned prematurely. I haven't hit it either on Wi-Fi or at all climbing the Battle Spot Showdown ladder, and its main practitioners appear nowhere in PGL's top 12. Usually if a strategy becomes dominant or abusable, they'll appear there. (And then maybe fall off as players adjust, which is general meta stuff; so maybe they were up there at some point, in which case it means something was capable of making it inconsistent enough to abandon as a go-to.) It seems like it was banned fairly early into the life-cycle of the meta here; I think it's worth looking into the Japanese meta and why it doesn't appear to be centralizing there.

Hoping to get some discussion on these! Also just bump this thread in general. And although this probably seems like it came down fairly hard on Smogon Triples, I didn't intend it to. While I still don't fully support running two similar ladders at this point, while the playerbase is so small, I'm more interested in strong players and an engaging meta developing for the format in general.
The biggest and significant difference between the meta is that smogon triples doesnt restrict all legendaries that battle spot does and this is rather significant. Many unbanned pokemon are very usable and viable such as, mega diancie, shaymin-sky, keldeo, kyurem-b and more. This is a meta mostly made for fun and people can play it to have fun and use more pokemon than available on battle spot. And i think both bans are justified. A well built team with dark void is just terrible to face and i do think the meta is healthier without it. And as for perish trap, idk why you say it isn't used on the PGL and that it hasnt been in the top 10 because thats wrong. There have consistently been players in the top 10 on PGL who use perish trap. Theres a reason its one of politoeds most used moves

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
wew it's been over a year since i posted this thread, wow
Interesting you should mention TerraCott; it's always struck me as one of those teams where a well-constructed one doesn't have too much trouble getting past things that aren't complete 100% CTs, but where I just can't actually seem to put together a solid TerraCott team (I always get stuck after Terrakion and Whimsicott, lol). Congrats on your success, though. Tips on using TerraCott would be nice ;))))

As for why this is split off from Battle Spot Triples, I assume there was a reason, but I've forgotten it for the time being. I believe this was just meant to be a simple off-the-cuff informal small (Other Metagame) format, but it seems (to my consternation) to be rivaling the actual (official) Battle Spot Triples format in terms of popularity. This was never the intention, but I guess if it's happened, there's not much to do about it. Maybe all the people who want to use Perish Trap / Dark Void will go back there, haha.

Finally, I'm not quite sure why Perish Trap isn't used more on the Battle Spot ladder, but I suspect it's because people over there may actually have consciences. It's really good, especially in Triples where you can (a) hide the Perish Song user/trapper in a corner and (b) cover them up with twice as much redirection. But yes, sometimes at night I do lie awake and ask myself why I chose to go ahead with the decision to ban Perish Trap*.

* this is a lie.

Replying generally to the two posts above me:

I totally get how the Smogon triples metagame is different, or aims to be (although I haven't seen any of the non-Battle Spot-legal Pokemon make a huge difference yet; Mew's cool, I guess). I don't have a problem with that. It's just slightly frustrating to see it rivaling the official ladder since they aren't that different and don't seem to have a ton of players. Contrast this to, say, Smogon Doubles, which I think deviates far more from Battle Spot, and I can see people wanting an option to explore 6 v. 6 doubles. But c'est la vie. It's not like it needs to go.

I'm up in the top 10 now and still having raging success (31-2 at the time of this post) with Terracott. Which ... I'm not sure if that's because the metagame hasn't developed far enough on Shodown to stop this cheese (although you can see in the Battle Spot thread it's still something I struggle with there; it's actually just really good in this format), or because of the difference in rulesets, or what.

Level 51, since I don't feel like I've invented anything major or that needs to be kept secret, I'm just sending out Whimsicott, Terrakion (Wide Lens) and Mienshao nine games out of ten. Mienshao offers some of the fastest Fake Out support in the game, and some of the fastest Quick Guard support, which nearly always allows me to get set up. From there it can Wide Guard or Feint as needed. I have Amoonguss in the back for redirection and Spore support, which can replace either Whimsicott or Mienshao on a free turn or if one goes down, and Charizard-Heatran sun mode as a backup. Pretty much the only thing that deters me from leading Terracott is an obvious Follow Me-user, but even then, that's a 50-50 gamble for them on landing it on the same side of the field as Whimsicott.

While Politoed does show up in PGL's top 12 with Perish Song as a top move, I wonder if that's the result of it just having the move as an option (since once you clear the first three, it's a great way to secure the win), or from being part of full Perish Trap teams. Either way, it's interesting its other essential Perish Trap partners, Gengar and Gothitelle, don't appear. Level 51, I feel you may be giving Battle Spot too much credit - if something wins consistently, it'll be used, I think. That said, there are some players in the 1800s with incredible win-loss ratios; I wonder what they're using. For all I know it could be Perish Trap, but I haven't gotten to battle them yet. I did play some of the current PGL top 10 last season, and they weren't using it.

Last edited:
A slight bump, and normally I wouldn't add another post, but as of tonight, Terracott team is #1 on the ladder with a record of 51-6. I'm going to put full details below so people can try it on their own, figure out how to beat it, etc. Here's exactly what I used to climb:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Beat Up
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Encore

A bog-standard Whimsicott for Terracotting purposes. It sets up Tailwind if something on the opponent's field is faster than Terrakion, uses Beat Up on Terrakion as soon as it's able, and tries to stay alive as long as it can to threaten with Encore.

Terrakion @ Wide Lens
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Quick Guard

A fairly bog-standard Terrakion for Terracotting purposes. PGL usage suggested the inclusion of Wide Lens, which brings Rock Slide up to nearly 100 accuracy. It should probably have Earthquake instead of Quick Guard, to equally threaten some of the Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon prone to surviving Rock Slides, but I tried to match the the Terrakion I'm already using in doubles so I left it unchanged. I've never used that fourth move slot in triples. If you're using this team, though, yeah; Earthquake would be the way to go.

Mienshao @ BrightPowder
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Feint
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Quick Guard

This is really the sole part of the team I feel required any thought, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it. I was trying to think of the single most ideal partner for Terracott; something that would allow it to set up and hit the opponent in nearly every situation. Fake Out helps setup on turn one, Feint breaks opposing Wide Guards, Wide Guard is always useful, and Quick Guard blocks priority moves that would threaten Terrakion. Hitmontop, one of Terracott's frequent partners in triples, offers all the same tools: Feint, Fake Out, Wide Guard and Quick Guard, but is significantly slower, reducing the usefulness of its Quick Guard in blocking Fake Outs and leaving it prone to being hit by Fake Out itself. Mienshao, at its blisteringly fast 105 base speed, can either Fake Out or Quick Guard against any incoming Fake Outs not from Pokemon named Raichu, Infernape and Weavile. That's extremely useful in allowing the Terracott combo to set up. In addition, it packs the Inner Focus ability, which in certain scenarios could allow it to not worry about taking a Fake Out on turn one and throw up something like Wide Guard if it'd be more useful, although I haven't yet hit that scenario.

The EVs are a bit arbitrary and could just be 252 HP/252 Speed. I think I grabbed this specific set from an old Nugget Bridge article.

I wanted to keep this team Battle Spot-legal and not ignore Item Clause, so this Mienshao's holding Bright Powder, which is a genuinely insane choice over Focus Sash, although it did allow it to dodge Spore once. Its job is usually over after the first turn or two anyway, so this wasn't a huge deal during the climb. It also doesn't mind going down if it allows me to bring in the following Pokemon.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore

This was another pretty simple idea based on the fact that once the Quick Guarder goes down, Terrakion would appreciate some redirection to draw away any other potential priority moves. Amoonguss also helps replace Mienshao in another way, by offering Spore against a potential Wide Guarder, as long as it's placed adjacently (Terrakion can Protect for a turn while Amoonguss puts the Wide Guard-user to sleep). It also offers a reasonable threat against Trick Room-happy teams. The spread's an old Nugget Bridge pick and matches the only one I have in my box in-game right now. That's going to be a general theme with these spreads.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 44 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Overheat
- Solar Beam

I almost feel like the last two Pokemon here could be anything, but sun mode seemed like a strong option as Pokemon resistant to Terrakion's Rock Slide barrage included Grass types, Steel types and bulky Waters like Swampert, all of which are threatened by a sun combos. Against a strong anti-Terracott lead, I can go sun mode + Amoonguss, too, which offers quick spread damage and the threat of Spore. The spread does ... something. Maybe survives Landorus-T Rock Slide? NB grab.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Protect

A Heatran to complement Charizard. Both of these two dish out tremendous spread damage and appreciate Tailwind from Whimsicott as much as Terrakion does. I forget what the spread's designed to do, but it's based on one I built a while ago in-game.

Feel free to try this out, improve upon it, etc.! Have fun.

A slight bump, and normally I wouldn't add another post, but as of tonight, Terracott team is #1 on the ladder with a record of 51-6. I'm going to put full details below so people can try it on their own, figure out how to beat it, etc. Here's exactly what I used to climb:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Beat Up
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Encore

A bog-standard Whimsicott for Terracotting purposes. It sets up Tailwind if something on the opponent's field is faster than Terrakion, uses Beat Up on Terrakion as soon as it's able, and tries to stay alive as long as it can to threaten with Encore.

Terrakion @ Wide Lens
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Quick Guard

A fairly bog-standard Terrakion for Terracotting purposes. PGL usage suggested the inclusion of Wide Lens, which brings Rock Slide up to nearly 100 accuracy. It should probably have Earthquake instead of Quick Guard, to equally threaten some of the Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon prone to surviving Rock Slides, but I tried to match the the Terrakion I'm already using in doubles so I left it unchanged. I've never used that fourth move slot in triples. If you're using this team, though, yeah; Earthquake would be the way to go.

Mienshao @ BrightPowder
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Feint
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Quick Guard

This is really the sole part of the team I feel required any thought, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it. I was trying to think of the single most ideal partner for Terracott; something that would allow it to set up and hit the opponent in nearly every situation. Fake Out helps setup on turn one, Feint breaks opposing Wide Guards, Wide Guard is always useful, and Quick Guard blocks priority moves that would threaten Terrakion. Hitmontop, one of Terracott's frequent partners in triples, offers all the same tools: Feint, Fake Out, Wide Guard and Quick Guard, but is significantly slower, reducing the usefulness of its Quick Guard in blocking Fake Outs and leaving it prone to being hit by Fake Out itself. Mienshao, at its blisteringly fast 105 base speed, can either Fake Out or Quick Guard against any incoming Fake Outs not from Pokemon named Raichu, Infernape and Weavile. That's extremely useful in allowing the Terracott combo to set up. In addition, it packs the Inner Focus ability, which in certain scenarios could allow it to not worry about taking a Fake Out on turn one and throw up something like Wide Guard if it'd be more useful, although I haven't yet hit that scenario.

The EVs are a bit arbitrary and could just be 252 HP/252 Speed. I think I grabbed this specific set from an old Nugget Bridge article.

I wanted to keep this team Battle Spot-legal and not ignore Item Clause, so this Mienshao's holding Bright Powder, which is a genuinely insane choice over Focus Sash, although it did allow it to dodge Spore once. Its job is usually over after the first turn or two anyway, so this wasn't a huge deal during the climb. It also doesn't mind going down if it allows me to bring in the following Pokemon.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore

This was another pretty simple idea based on the fact that once the Quick Guarder goes down, Terrakion would appreciate some redirection to draw away any other potential priority moves. Amoonguss also helps replace Mienshao in another way, by offering Spore against a potential Wide Guarder, as long as it's placed adjacently (Terrakion can Protect for a turn while Amoonguss puts the Wide Guard-user to sleep). It also offers a reasonable threat against Trick Room-happy teams. The spread's an old Nugget Bridge pick and matches the only one I have in my box in-game right now. That's going to be a general theme with these spreads.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 44 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Overheat
- Solar Beam

I almost feel like the last two Pokemon here could be anything, but sun mode seemed like a strong option as Pokemon resistant to Terrakion's Rock Slide barrage included Grass types, Steel types and bulky Waters like Swampert, all of which are threatened by a sun combos. Against a strong anti-Terracott lead, I can go sun mode + Amoonguss, too, which offers quick spread damage and the threat of Spore. The spread does ... something. Maybe survives Landorus-T Rock Slide? NB grab.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Protect

A Heatran to complement Charizard. Both of these two dish out tremendous spread damage and appreciate Tailwind from Whimsicott as much as Terrakion does. I forget what the spread's designed to do, but it's based on one I built a while ago in-game.

Feel free to try this out, improve upon it, etc.! Have fun.
Cool team. I've seen a lot of terracott that looks really similar, it works well. I'd suggest Lum Berry over Bright Powder though. Just seems more practical to me, idk if you thought about using it at all.

Cool team. I've seen a lot of terracott that looks really similar, it works well. I'd suggest Lum Berry over Bright Powder though. Just seems more practical to me, idk if you thought about using it at all.
Yeah, I figured nothing on here was wholly original. I've seen several Terracott-Sun teams as well.

I did think about Lum Berry, but figured that since Mienshao's job was to stay out a few more turns if it could, the silly 10% chance of a miss from Bright Powder was ... okay. In looking at bringing the team over to Battle Spot, though, I'll be switching to Lum to increase my chance against Dark Void Smeargles.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
While Politoed does show up in PGL's top 12 with Perish Song as a top move, I wonder if that's the result of it just having the move as an option (since once you clear the first three, it's a great way to secure the win), or from being part of full Perish Trap teams. Either way, it's interesting its other essential Perish Trap partners, Gengar and Gothitelle, don't appear. Level 51, I feel you may be giving Battle Spot too much credit - if something wins consistently, it'll be used, I think. That said, there are some players in the 1800s with incredible win-loss ratios; I wonder what they're using. For all I know it could be Perish Trap, but I haven't gotten to battle them yet. I did play some of the current PGL top 10 last season, and they weren't using it.
Haha yeah that's definitely true, I myself haven't touched Triples in a while in between trying to qualify for VGC Worlds and irl commitments, so I wouldn't know I guess. Thanks for sharing your team though, while perhaps it's nothing really special it's still very solid—and I'll definitely try to put together something of my own and get a few battles in on the ladder sometime soon so I can check out the state of the ladder :)!

If I'm Necro bumping mods feel free to delete my post but it's been ages since I've played triples and it's one of my favourite metas and seeing as exams are finished I wanna get back into it-

Does anyone have any experience with pledge teams? Both fire/ water and water/ grass look pretty deadly on paper, completely nullifying speed and giving rockslide like 100% flinch chance respectively. If not, does anyone know of any triples bs blogs (Japanese)? Cheers

Permission to start Triples UU?
I've got a banlist for it right here:
| 1 | Talonflame | 32.82991% | 2907 | 14.279% | 1660 | 16.467% |
| 2 | Hitmontop | 29.70496% | 1542 | 7.574% | 801 | 7.946% |
| 3 | Heatran | 29.44758% | 1747 | 8.581% | 922 | 9.146% |
| 4 | Aegislash | 29.19432% | 1498 | 7.358% | 845 | 8.382% |
| 5 | Kangaskhan | 24.17018% | 1191 | 5.850% | 634 | 6.289% |
| 6 | Sylveon | 21.89532% | 1925 | 9.456% | 1113 | 11.041% |
| 7 | Amoonguss | 17.72738% | 930 | 4.568% | 550 | 5.456% |
| 8 | Tyranitar | 17.52106% | 1609 | 7.904% | 787 | 7.807% |
| 9 | Landorus-Therian | 15.09861% | 974 | 4.784% | 503 | 4.990% |
| 10 | Greninja | 14.91986% | 3275 | 16.087% | 1839 | 18.243% |
| 11 | Politoed | 14.15288% | 1937 | 9.515% | 977 | 9.692% |
| 12 | Cresselia | 13.30570% | 752 | 3.694% | 246 | 2.440% |
| 13 | Bisharp | 13.04308% | 709 | 3.483% | 374 | 3.710% |
| 14 | Meowstic | 12.91938% | 1374 | 6.749% | 715 | 7.093% |
| 15 | Mawile | 11.52277% | 760 | 3.733% | 421 | 4.176% |
| 16 | Aromatisse | 9.95353% | 895 | 4.396% | 526 | 5.218% |
| 17 | Gardevoir | 9.60998% | 1529 | 7.511% | 725 | 7.192% |
| 18 | Azumarill | 9.42047% | 1131 | 5.556% | 690 | 6.845% |
| 19 | Scizor | 9.15569% | 818 | 4.018% | 509 | 5.049% |
| 20 | Porygon2 | 8.86191% | 570 | 2.800% | 318 | 3.155% |
| 21 | Charizard | 7.97368% | 2798 | 13.744% | 1082 | 10.733% |
| 22 | Ludicolo | 7.48991% | 731 | 3.591% | 326 | 3.234% |
| 23 | Diancie | 7.29652% | 773 | 3.797% | 378 | 3.750% |
| 24 | Klefki | 6.93326% | 1058 | 5.197% | 456 | 4.524% |
| 25 | Gothitelle | 6.83713% | 324 | 1.592% | 187 | 1.855% |
| 26 | Whimsicott | 6.77233% | 1351 | 6.636% | 554 | 5.496% |
| 27 | Landorus | 6.50491% | 257 | 1.262% | 135 | 1.339% |
| 28 | Kingdra | 6.47111% | 1173 | 5.762% | 315 | 3.125% |
| 29 | Cradily | 6.35102% | 403 | 1.980% | 238 | 2.361% |
| 30 | Thundurus | 6.02226% | 646 | 3.173% | 299 | 2.966% |
| 31 | Clefable | 5.95734% | 694 | 3.409% | 286 | 2.837% |
| 32 | Cofagrigus | 5.68478% | 286 | 1.405% | 144 | 1.428% |
| 33 | Conkeldurr | 5.52517% | 857 | 4.210% | 551 | 5.466% |
| 34 | Chandelure | 5.01919% | 699 | 3.434% | 393 | 3.899% |
| 35 | Terrakion | 5.00394% | 637 | 3.129% | 210 | 2.083% |
| 36 | Swampert | 4.76657% | 1100 | 5.403% | 681 | 6.756% |
| 37 | Altaria | 4.66711% | 532 | 2.613% | 256 | 2.540% |
| 38 | Blastoise | 4.44517% | 894 | 4.391% | 454 | 4.504% |
| 39 | Metagross | 4.35160% | 951 | 4.671% | 519 | 5.148% |
| 40 | Garchomp | 4.17468% | 1431 | 7.029% | 684 | 6.785% |
| 41 | Ferrothorn | 4.11028% | 1035 | 5.084% | 620 | 6.150% |
| 42 | Venusaur | 3.68954% | 1456 | 7.152% | 779 | 7.728% |
| 43 | Dusclops | 3.47193% | 490 | 2.407% | 319 | 3.164% |
| 44 | Milotic | 3.43394% | 539 | 2.648% | 285 | 2.827% |
| 45 | Latios | 3.38613% | 521 | 2.559% | 233 | 2.311% |
| 46 | Slowbro | 3.34172% | 767 | 3.768% | 412 | 4.087% |

These are the 1760 stats.

Permission to start Triples UU?
I've got a banlist for it right here:
| 1 | Talonflame | 32.82991% | 2907 | 14.279% | 1660 | 16.467% |
| 2 | Hitmontop | 29.70496% | 1542 | 7.574% | 801 | 7.946% |
| 3 | Heatran | 29.44758% | 1747 | 8.581% | 922 | 9.146% |
| 4 | Aegislash | 29.19432% | 1498 | 7.358% | 845 | 8.382% |
| 5 | Kangaskhan | 24.17018% | 1191 | 5.850% | 634 | 6.289% |
| 6 | Sylveon | 21.89532% | 1925 | 9.456% | 1113 | 11.041% |
| 7 | Amoonguss | 17.72738% | 930 | 4.568% | 550 | 5.456% |
| 8 | Tyranitar | 17.52106% | 1609 | 7.904% | 787 | 7.807% |
| 9 | Landorus-Therian | 15.09861% | 974 | 4.784% | 503 | 4.990% |
| 10 | Greninja | 14.91986% | 3275 | 16.087% | 1839 | 18.243% |
| 11 | Politoed | 14.15288% | 1937 | 9.515% | 977 | 9.692% |
| 12 | Cresselia | 13.30570% | 752 | 3.694% | 246 | 2.440% |
| 13 | Bisharp | 13.04308% | 709 | 3.483% | 374 | 3.710% |
| 14 | Meowstic | 12.91938% | 1374 | 6.749% | 715 | 7.093% |
| 15 | Mawile | 11.52277% | 760 | 3.733% | 421 | 4.176% |
| 16 | Aromatisse | 9.95353% | 895 | 4.396% | 526 | 5.218% |
| 17 | Gardevoir | 9.60998% | 1529 | 7.511% | 725 | 7.192% |
| 18 | Azumarill | 9.42047% | 1131 | 5.556% | 690 | 6.845% |
| 19 | Scizor | 9.15569% | 818 | 4.018% | 509 | 5.049% |
| 20 | Porygon2 | 8.86191% | 570 | 2.800% | 318 | 3.155% |
| 21 | Charizard | 7.97368% | 2798 | 13.744% | 1082 | 10.733% |
| 22 | Ludicolo | 7.48991% | 731 | 3.591% | 326 | 3.234% |
| 23 | Diancie | 7.29652% | 773 | 3.797% | 378 | 3.750% |
| 24 | Klefki | 6.93326% | 1058 | 5.197% | 456 | 4.524% |
| 25 | Gothitelle | 6.83713% | 324 | 1.592% | 187 | 1.855% |
| 26 | Whimsicott | 6.77233% | 1351 | 6.636% | 554 | 5.496% |
| 27 | Landorus | 6.50491% | 257 | 1.262% | 135 | 1.339% |
| 28 | Kingdra | 6.47111% | 1173 | 5.762% | 315 | 3.125% |
| 29 | Cradily | 6.35102% | 403 | 1.980% | 238 | 2.361% |
| 30 | Thundurus | 6.02226% | 646 | 3.173% | 299 | 2.966% |
| 31 | Clefable | 5.95734% | 694 | 3.409% | 286 | 2.837% |
| 32 | Cofagrigus | 5.68478% | 286 | 1.405% | 144 | 1.428% |
| 33 | Conkeldurr | 5.52517% | 857 | 4.210% | 551 | 5.466% |
| 34 | Chandelure | 5.01919% | 699 | 3.434% | 393 | 3.899% |
| 35 | Terrakion | 5.00394% | 637 | 3.129% | 210 | 2.083% |
| 36 | Swampert | 4.76657% | 1100 | 5.403% | 681 | 6.756% |
| 37 | Altaria | 4.66711% | 532 | 2.613% | 256 | 2.540% |
| 38 | Blastoise | 4.44517% | 894 | 4.391% | 454 | 4.504% |
| 39 | Metagross | 4.35160% | 951 | 4.671% | 519 | 5.148% |
| 40 | Garchomp | 4.17468% | 1431 | 7.029% | 684 | 6.785% |
| 41 | Ferrothorn | 4.11028% | 1035 | 5.084% | 620 | 6.150% |
| 42 | Venusaur | 3.68954% | 1456 | 7.152% | 779 | 7.728% |
| 43 | Dusclops | 3.47193% | 490 | 2.407% | 319 | 3.164% |
| 44 | Milotic | 3.43394% | 539 | 2.648% | 285 | 2.827% |
| 45 | Latios | 3.38613% | 521 | 2.559% | 233 | 2.311% |
| 46 | Slowbro | 3.34172% | 767 | 3.768% | 412 | 4.087% |

These are the 1760 stats.
I mean, there's nothing stopping you from playing it with friends, you don't need permission for that. But making a thread for a triples UU metagame would be pretty pointless considering how dead this one is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)