Spriting Contest - Contest #8: Spriter of the Month: Ice-cold Claws - NEXT CONTEST COMING SOON

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys !

This is the end of the voting period for this contest, I will now announce the winner !

Spriter of the Month - 1st place: Iggy Azalea - 12 votes in total

2nd place: Nightmare Serum - 6 votes in total

Thank you for participating to this contest and get ready for the next contest that will start soon !

Iggy Azalea earns 12 points with this contest
Nightmare Serum earns 6 points with this contest
S0L1D G0LD earns 3 points with this contest
OfficialThatGuy earns 1 point with this contest

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Contest #8
Type Transfert: Fire Type Water Type
Hey everyone, this is time for a new spriting contest ! This month, it is special because we are doing a really new theme which is Type Transfert ! Ok I will explain the rules for this contest c:
  • The Type Transfert contest is related to Fire and Water types which means that the participants will have to realize 2 sprites
  • The participants must work on a Water type Pokémon and a Fire type Pokémon, they can choose any Pokémons, they just need to respect the types
  • With the Water type Pokémon, the participants will have to work on the sprite to make it looks like a Fire type Pokémon
  • With the Fire type Pokémon, the participants will have to work on the sprite to make it looks like a Water type Pokémon
  • Volcanion isn't allowed for this contest
  • The participants will have to give a brief explanation of why they have decided to pick these Pokémon sprites
  • The sprites will have to be between 80x80 and 96x96
  • Do not steal other people creations
How to post for this contest ?

Water type Pokémon changed into a Fire type Pokémon: img

Brief explanation

Fire type Pokémon changed into a Water type Pokémon: img
Brief explanation

To participate to this contest just post "In" for being added in the participants list. You could in whenever you want before the deadline.

Deadline: 07/07/2016
If the participants don't post their sprites before that date, their participation will not be considered.

Participants:

To Kill a Chatot
boxofkangaroos
S0L1D G0LD
Iggy Azalea
Nightmare Serum
OfficialThatGuy
Ice-cold Claws
Amaluna
HeterosexualZekrom
P2X7

The transfert types sprites:

Nightmare Serum

Water type Pokémon changed into a Fire type Pokémon:

So, I chose Feraligatr cuz when I saw his spines, I was like, "Damn boy, his spines so damn hawt!", so then I realized my genius and made his spines into flaming shiz and smoke comin' outta his head. Friggin hawt.

Fire type Pokémon changed into a Water type Pokémon:

I chose Entei for this one because I had a flaming-hair Suicune for some other contest and I thought of having the opposite, bubble-hair Entei.

To Kill a Chatot

Water type Pokemon changed into a Fire type:

Who said you needed fire and smoke to make a fire type Pokemon :]
Also.. it was really hard trying to find a water type i could change into a fire type ;_;

Fire type Pokemon changed into a Water type:

Dayum sea slugs are cool. and colorful. This is basically a shellos ripoff but still it cute :3
Also did you know, if you tell a red bellied sea slug your feelings that you cant tell anyone else it will.....

Ice-cold Claws

This sprite is my best shot as a middle finger towards one of the biggest trollings as far as Pokemon typings go. Here's Solgamie, a Fire/Psychic type, and the rightful symbol of the almighty fiery orb in our skies.

I always thought Magmortar's big rubbery yellow cannons were a bit weird, so why not ham it up and give it some matching rubber duck feet? And voila -- born is Scubalast, the Diving Duck Pokemon. Its tail is an oxygen tank if that's not clear, and pumps oxygen into its rubbery shoulders, which allows it to fire off powerful special attacks eg. Focus Blast.

HeterosexualZekrom

Fire/Ground -> Water/Ground
Shove a water stone down a Numel's throat and you get this docile-looking water camel thing. I thought it'd be fun to play around with the common misconception that a camel stores water in its humps that most children have. Giving the water depth was a bitch to do, so I kind of gave up halfway which is why it looks a little patchy.

Water/Dark -> Steel/Fire
A more literal torpedo. Super simple design and pretty shitty shading, a lot less effort went into this one lol

boxofkangaroos

Water to Fire: Maroast (Fire/Fairy)

Marill is just a cute mon that really has no defining Water features, besides maybe its blue color and bubble tail. So I thought it would be neat to give it a fireball tail and give it a fiery skin color. Pretty simple really. Name is a combination of maru (ball in Japanese) and roast.

Fire to Water: Neptound (Dark/Water)

Houndoom is pretty much the dog of Hades. I even named my Houndoom Pluto in HG. Neptound here is the polar opposite of Houndoom, as it is the dog of Poseidon/Neptune. To make Neptound look like a Water type, I changed its orange parts to blue, added a trident tail, and added webbed feet as an adaptation to an aquatic environment. Name is a combination of Neptune and hound.

Lucy Heartfillia

Sprite #1: Bubbles the Showering Monkey

My theme for this is basically baths... because why not.I made a rubber ducky Magmar as well, but it didn't turn out as well as it sounds unfortunately. I had a bubble-making Mollux, but it also turned weird. Instead, I went with a showering Simisear, because why not? It's a cute monkey. And yes, yes I know, why would he be wearing a towel while showering? Would you rather see his monkey man-parts? I mean, I could cover it with bubbles, but you'd still see it y'know.

Sprite #2: Flamedeo-Resonant

I just came up with him just now, I was too focused on my other stuff sadly. What Water type to use was the harder than the Fire type, I had a bunch of ideas like a demon Ducklett all Herondales would fear (props if you get the reference), or a vampire Manaphy, even a gothic Simipour. Sadly, none looked much like a Fire type, except Manaphy, which looked like an avocado-banana hybrid still burning. But today I got a little inspiration. In memory of my baby Keldeo-Resonant, who disappeared somewhere suddenly, I used Keldeo. He's supposed to be based on a Nightmare, you know... those black horses of hell that gallops on your chest to give you nightmares. Of course, he had to look like a Fire type too, so I set him ablaze, shining brighter than those wannabe Rapidash and Ponytas. It might be hard to notice, but the eye color is green, same as Clary from The Mortal Instruments, who also had a reddish-orangish mane. Also, to add a bit of lore, his ebon horn pierces the dreams of the victim, allowing the gem to suck out the dream, fueling his nightmarishly (heh) blazing mane of hell.

S0L1D G0LD

Sprite #1 (Fire > Water): Infernape
"Mermape"
Water / Fighting
Torrent / Prankster (HA)

Right from the get-go, I knew that for my first sprite I wanted to make a Sea-Monkey Infernape. However, after a bit of spriting, I realized that it didn't differentiate itself enough from a Fire-Typed Infernape; it looked more like a recolor with a different cranial accessory. I then decided to go in the direction of P. T. Barnum's semi-infamous sideshow hoax: the Fiji Mermaid. I thus added a large aquatic lower body, and complimented it by using a brightly contrasting red and blue color scheme, a throw to the idea of two separate sets of animal remains being sewn together as one cryptid. Mostly completed (as of this time of posting), I then repositioned and lengthened the antennae, remnants of the first concept, to add an aesthetic to an otherwise barren area of the sprite.
Sprite #2 (Water > Fire): Jellicent
"Hellicent"
Fire / Ghost
Flame Body / Cursed Body / Infiltrator (HA)

For Jellicent, it is a different story then the above. The idea for this concept came to me a while into the competition while lost in thought one day: I simply mused that by taking away the water from Jellicent's design, you are left with a wraith. By adding fire in its stead, you are given something resembling what I present to you today. I resolved to stick to (in my opinion) an unspoken rule so far in Pokemon: ghost types must abstain from resemblance to actual human remains, but when they take a similar fashion they must be cartoon-ified as much as possible. Thus, I shaped Jellicent's head into a cartoony skull featuring anatomically incorrect shaping, dental structure, and other facial characteristics while leaving it as such that it can still have an easily drawn line to a real world skull. I next replaced the crown-like crest on the top of Jelly's head with a virile spout of flame. Following this, I enveloped the head with a wild and raging blaze that connected the now floating head to its appendages below. The arms are aesthetically a ridge of bone-like meterial connected to the main inferno by a molten stream of lava; the legs follow a similar school of thought, but instead are encased in the "liquid flame", so to speak. Lastly,
while typing this post, I decided to give my creation a cheesy and wanna-be-edgy name that I stumbled upon as a typo of the Pokemon's species name, and thus Hellicent was born.

P2X7

Sprite 1: Water --> Fire:
This Greninja is modeled after the English folklore character Spring-Heeled Jack, a legend known for his demonic physiognomy and ability to spit blue or white-hot flames. As a frog, Greninja is biologically predisposed towards making great leaps, and (at least to me) the transition from ninja to serial killer isn't too drastic a change to imagine. While the design itself doesn't exactly feature Fire as its salient type, I'm hoping that the subtler elements of the sprite, such as the fiery eyes and the tongue reminiscent of the aforementioned exhaled blazes, will be able to cohesively bind the components of the design to the intended re-typing.

Sprite 2: Fire --> Water:
;

This was a very late entry, so it's a bit rushed, but I'm still pleased with the result. This is Houndoom reimagined as an Ahuizotl, a South American devil dog that drowns people who encounter it (fact check?). It has fingers and a third hand on its tail, which you can see here. I also added a blue color plette to help convey the Water-typing.

WINNER OF THE CONTEST:

Spriter of the Month - 1st place:
Ice-cold Claws- 5 votes in total

2nd place:
Lucy Heartfillia, HeterosexualZekrom & S0L1D G0LD- 2 votes in total

Last edited:

So, I chose Feraligatr cuz when I saw his spines, I was like, "Damn boy, his spines so damn hawt!", so then I realized my genius and made his spines into flaming shiz and smoke comin' outta his head. Friggin hawt.

I chose Entei for this one because I had a flaming-hair Suicune for some other contest and I thought of having the opposite, bubble-hair Entei.

Goodluck to other entrants!!!!
P.S. Water totes difficult to materialize, Ice woulda been betta.

Water type Pokemon changed into a Fire type:
Fire-Water Transfert Pyro Milotic.png

Who said you needed fire and smoke to make a fire type Pokemon :]
Also.. it was really hard trying to find a water type i could change into a fire type ;_;

Fire type Pokemon changed into a Water type:
Fire-Water Transfert Aquatic Slugma..png

Dayum sea slugs are cool. and colorful. This is basically a shellos ripoff but still it cute :3
Also did you know, if you tell a red bellied sea slug your feelings that you cant tell anyone else it will.....

In. Made my sprites before committing just to make sure I wouldn't screw around with my promises yet again.

This sprite is my best shot as a middle finger towards one of the biggest trollings as far as Pokemon typings go. Here's Solgamie, a Fire/Psychic type, and the rightful symbol of the almighty fiery orb in our skies.

I always thought Magmortar's big rubbery yellow cannons were a bit weird, so why not ham it up and give it some matching rubber duck feet? And voila -- born is Scubalast, the Diving Duck Pokemon. Its tail is an oxygen tank if that's not clear, and pumps oxygen into its rubbery shoulders, which allows it to fire off powerful special attacks eg. Focus Blast.

Are we allowed to use like, one mon someone else is attempting to do? >.<

I was thinking of doing Simisear as well, though not Simipour.

If not, claiming Magmar and Politoed then.

Last edited:

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
In.

If this is the case, I will be claiming Keldeo and Magcargo, since Slugma was done already.

Reisen

Also does this mean you can't use mons bigger than 80x80 aka legendaries like Dialga and shit, even though it's irrelevant now it feels a bit unfair that original size limitation eliminates certain mons from the get-go
That's a good point I forgot about the exclusive 96x96 sprites, then I will modify the rules about this

You sprites can be between 80x80 and 96x96.

Nightmare Serum if you need to fix your sprite you can :)

I was thinking of doing Simisear as well, though not Simipour.

If not, claiming Magmar and Politoed then.
You can eventually do the same Pokémon that's not a problem to me, it would be even interesting to see how the sprite would be different :)

Background is white because I am Microsoft Paint masterrace

Fire/Ground -> Water/Ground

Shove a water stone down a Numel's throat and you get this docile-looking water camel thing. I thought it'd be fun to play around with the common misconception that a camel stores water in its humps that most children have. Giving the water depth was a bitch to do, so I kind of gave up halfway which is why it looks a little patchy. Took maybe 45 minutes? Decent timing.

Water/Dark -> Steel/Fire

A more literal torpedo. Super simple design and pretty shitty shading, a lot less effort went into this one (lol). Twenty seven minutes, approximately

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)