Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can you guys freeze decay on inaccessible ladders? For example, if I play 20 games on Gen7UU ladder and then it becomes inaccessible for 2 weeks because it's replaced by Gen7UUSuspectTest ladder, can you freeze the decay on the Gen7UU ladder?
I'm not sure there's a way to use this good idea that works in practice. Even though you don't have a choice about it, you not playing in the format for two weeks is correct to trigger the decay as per the Elo system. Playing suspect ladder games should theoretically show that you are still testing yourself and not atrophying in a format, but suspect ladders vary in conditions and playerbase from standard ones to varying degrees, so I'm not sure there is a fair/objective way to have suspect battle "credits" fulfill the activity requirement of the actual ladder and prevent decay. (I'm also not sure how this would be programmed.)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure there's a way to use this good idea that works in practice. Even though you don't have a choice about it, you not playing in the format for two weeks is correct to trigger the decay as per the Elo system. Playing suspect ladder games should theoretically show that you are still testing yourself and not atrophying in a format, but suspect ladders vary in conditions and playerbase from standard ones to varying degrees, so I'm not sure there is a fair/objective way to have suspect battle "credits" fulfill the activity requirement of the actual ladder and prevent decay. (I'm also not sure how this would be programmed.)

If it can't be programmed that's one thing, but I do think my suggestion to freeze decay has merit. Suspect tests are fairly similar across all metagames, at most only two Pokémon, and generally only one, out of several dozen become available or unavailable for two weeks.

If decay is meant to stop ladder parking, which it is if my understanding is correct, then it's not really correct to decay accounts which are inaccessible, since that's not parking, and it unfairly penalizes the top of the ladder, as only those accounts decay but all accounts are inaccessible.

Since I haven't any idea how to program, I can just make general suggestions:

1) Freeze decay for ladders inaccessible (probably only because suspect tests)
2) The credit idea you mentioned where decay freezes for both the regular and suspect ladder if only the suspect is played
3) Increase the K factor (potential rating change after each game) when the regular ladder is back for those who decayed for a short period

A fourth option which I know Pokémon Online did was to store the decayed points so after you win a game you get it back, in general I know the programmers don't like this idea and neither do I.

Could Alolan Exeggutor's sprite be moved up? It looks really weird in team preview with its feet way in the ground, and it would be hilarious seeing it peeking over its own health bar.

Hey PS! Crew. Not sure how feasible it is, but I was thinking it would be cool if, in Teambuilder, there was a way to display the viability ranking of mons. Maybe make it like a filter. Say you're building and you set your team for RU. It would then display somewhere beside the mons their viability ranking for RU. Even if they are in NU or PU, when you scroll down it would show their ranking for RU. You could even sort by viability ranking. Again not sure how feasible it actually is given how frequently the VR's get updated. Just throwing it out there as an idea.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Hey PS! Crew. Not sure how feasible it is, but I was thinking it would be cool if, in Teambuilder, there was a way to display the viability ranking of mons. Maybe make it like a filter. Say you're building and you set your team for RU. It would then display somewhere beside the mons their viability ranking for RU. Even if they are in NU or PU, when you scroll down it would show their ranking for RU. You could even sort by viability ranking. Again not sure how feasible it actually is given how frequently the VR's get updated. Just throwing it out there as an idea.
I'm not a Dev but with OU's weekly updates, that's just not feasible.

One thing I feel i want to recommend regarding the team building section. Usually often times players don't want to spend too much time or effor to think what and how they will construct their teams in their respective tier and at the same time does not want to do /tier ou and research some sample teams and determine one by one which team is the best for them. So I suggest to have some implements in the teambuilder section that can save some time and effort for the player.

I suggest PS implements these two new commands:

1. /create sampleteam, tier
2. /create (pokemon) set, tier

Looking at /create sampleteam, tier first, for instance when a user wants to create a UU team but is stuck/has no idea what to include, simply input the command /create sampleteam, uu in any chat/pm tells the ps to import one random approved team that is normally found when a user imputs /tier uu (in the sample teams link) in the teambuilder section.

In addition, adding the parameters of the generation e.g /create sampleteam, uu, gen 5 will do the same as above but specifically for the gen 5 meta. (not specifying the meta indicates the latest generation a.k.a gen 7 as of when this thread is written).

Now onto /(pokemon) set, tier. Similar to /sampleteam, tier if a user wants to include one specific mon to his team but is clueless on what moveset/ev spread/item to utilize on it, he can just input this command in the chat and then PS will import one random set for this pokemon along with the corresponding item and EV sets found in the /smogdex (pokemon) page. For example, if a player wants to include Tapu Koko onto his OU team but is clueless on what movesets he should run along with ev spread and items, he could input the command /create tapu koko set, ou, and then one random set from the smogdex analysis (link here: http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/tapu_koko/) will be created. However, teambuilder as a whole can also be altered a little as of the following:

upload_2017-10-12_19-51-51.png

This outlook for teambuilder only applies for those who used the latter command of /create (pokemon) set, tier. After a user has imputed /create tapu koko set, ou, showdown will automatically import one random viable tapu koko set for ou. In the above situation, I have the choice specs set. The outlook idealy from the bottom empty space should also have a description on how to use this one specific set or simply a word by word copy on the 'usage tips' section in the smogdex correspondingly. Moreover, if the user wants to see what are some other possible sets, he could click cycle sets (top left corner) which will bring up another tapu koko set with moves/evs/item as well as a name e.g 'offensive pivot' as well as a word by word copy on the usage tip for offensive pivot.

For instance clicking cycle team will change the above outlook to this outlook:

upload_2017-10-12_20-9-31.png

Sometimes sets can have multiple viable moves and the best one will depend on what the team requires. For the above case, Tapu Koko may also have grass knot and hidden power fire as alternatives for hidden power ice. The player can just click the number '4' right of the 'cycle move' section to cycle hidden power ice to either hidden power fire or grass knot. Or cycle taunt for volt switch for the offensive pivot set.

In situations where only one viable set is available for that pokemon e.g Mega Gallade in SUMO OU, it is possible to completely disregard the 'cycle sets' and 'cycle moves' buttons.

In situations where there are no viable/known sets for a pokemon at a specific tier e.g if a user inputs /create sunkern, ubers since no one in the right mind will bring sunkern to ubers, an error popup will display that says 'no viable' or 'no sets available'.

I believe the above commands can help new players or players who don't have the patience to research viable sets to just completely bypass those efforts.

Attachments

This has been a slight pet peeve of mine for a while. When a Pokemon is defeated, it simply plays back its regular cry. I think it would be a bit better if Pokemon would use their pitched-down cries when they feint, like in the games. This could be done rather easily, actually; just play back the Pokemon cry decreased in pitch by three semitones.

Can we have an option where we can see our current win streak in a particular meta? I mean, it's useful for other players to know how "in-form" a player is, not that a player is bad if it's 0, but then!

Reactions: dom

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Is it possible to implement a lighter version of Autoconfirmed, perhaps only enforcing that the user must have registered and have won X rated battles (where X is between 5 and 10), simply as a way to at least dissuade trolls without completely stonewalling newer players from the chat?

Edit: have this superceded by AC if the user hasn't won 5-10 battles, but has been regged for 1 week.

Last edited:
In the teambuilder, the suggested spread for either specially or physically biased mixed attackers sets a -def nature, but I think in most cases -spdef is definitely preferred to minimize damage from physical priority moves

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Can we make a move's /dt information display the original amount of PP. Since it's a little bit inconsistent with /ms (which searches for the actual PP).

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maximum PP is most useful to see by /dt, since it is what you'll be battling with. If anything I'd rather have the reverse and have /ms search for maximum instead of original, but I don't think there'd be a way to search for original pp at all if that happened so that might not work either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed a lot of players especially in the low to medium ladder players including myself often facepalm themselves because they forgot that psychic terrain safeguards all grounded mons from priority attacks. How about small sized text on the top of the screen to remind players what are the additional effects of terrain/weather/rooms are as an additional option. E.g if tapu lele comes in, small text on the top of the battle screen will say ' + Psychic power & priority safe when grounded '. Also make this option available as an on/off option because veteran players are fully aware of the effects of terrain/weather/rooms so they do not need it.

Secondly is if a mon with multiscale/shadow shield gets hit by a move, I think it is also a good idea to actually show 'multiscale' or 'shadow shield' when taking damage just like when sturdy allows the mon to survive by 1 hp and actually pops up.

Last edited:

Adeleine

I can't say I'd support. The first is definitely more info than you'd actually get in game and I believe the second is as well. This also opens the door up for a lot of "if this, why not that?" information bloat.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I noticed (like a while ago but still) that when someone does !dt or anything with coding in your PMs, you will get the coding in chat (assuming you have the option to see your PMs in chat). Can we make it so you don't get anything when you get a PM with coding? Or basically, to not show the code of the thing (command, stuff PMed by bots like Lady Monita, etc.)

I'd really like to see an option for the tournament UI that lets me minimize the tour bracket while still showing the part that lets me send/accept challenges and choose my team. This would be especially helpful for mobile since the tour bracket is super zoomed in and cannot be scrolled or dragged to see the rest of it, and also covers up most of the chat, but it'd be nice even on desktop to be able to see more of the chat without hiding the actually important interactive part.

There should be a rule where people can't spam a single move for every Pokemon they encounter in a match. It's not fair, especially when those moves are 0TK moves, like Play Rough. It's understandable if the move itself requires more than one move to execute the attack, but not for others that don't require more than one move.

Adeleine

By competitive standards, a technique is "fair" enough to not be banned so long as both you and your opponent can do it, and it is not "always" (read: as a general rule) broken or uncompetitive. Your suggestion does not seem to fall under either, which means it is something you are free to request of your opponent but not something we would impose on all battles.

Alright, but even when I ask my opponent not to spam a single move, they don't seem to notice or listen. I just get tired of my entire team getting wiped out by a single move, even at lvl 100.

Alright, but even when I ask my opponent not to spam a single move, they don't seem to notice or listen. I just get tired of my entire team getting wiped out by a single move, even at lvl 100.
It sounds like the problem lies with your teambuilding. If your opponent can sweep your team by mindlessly spamming, for example, Thunderbolt, it's likely that your team has a glaring weakness to Electric that should be addressed. If you're willing to share your team with me in a private message, I'd love to help. I just don't want to do it here because it would derail the thread.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can we get a command that persistently puts a user on ignore status?

We can put someone on ignore permanently on the forums or really any other place on the internet and it’s a real pain to not be able to do so on PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)