Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Are unreleased megas getting an analysis? If so, I think mega swampert definitely deserves one with rain getting a much more reliable setter in pelipper and the mega evolution speed buff. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.
Those Pokemon will get analyses once they are released in game, but the details of when that will happen are still unclear.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
This might not be the right place to ask, but what happened to Charizard's analysis? I believe it was high priority yet it has been WIP for quite a while, does anyone know what happened to it? Apologies if this isn't the right place for this btw, I just wanted to take a look at it earlier today and found it in page 2

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Extremely minor thing, but 248 HP on Toxapex is very slightly better than 252 HP because it hits a Regenerator number

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually I prefer 252 HP EVs, since you hit 304 HP, which is divisible by 16 so you gain 19 points of HP per Black Sludge recovery as opposed to 18 which you get from 248 EVs.

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Genesect is mentioned under Revenge Killers in Tapu Bulu's C&C section.

Azelf's analysis also mentions Landorus in Other Options.

Last edited:
Regenerator numbers don't mean anything. You're still getting the same amount of Regenerator recovery that you would have got before, only now you have one less HP point for...reasons. Same goes for dropping HP for Leftovers numbers (a concept that I wish would go die in a hole). The only reason you should drop HP most of the time is to reduce passive damage. Toxapex's max HP is divisible by 16, so 248 HP would work for that purpose, but it also reduces recovery from Leftovers and Recover as has been pointed out already. At that point, you have to ask if the extra point of recovery is worth the extra point in passive damage. Seeing as how Toxapex is immune to poison, Stealth Rock only affects it once per switch-in, and Tyranitar/Hippowdon aren't exactly tearing up the usage charts right now, I think the extra point of recovery is worth it in the current metagame. Plus, Toxapex's base defenses are so much higher than its HP that the extra point of HP is more efficient.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Last edited:
Thanks for replying!

If so I also have an interesting mega beedrill - could be incredibly viable, this in my opinion is due to the buffing of fell stinger, and the fact that you no longer "have" to run protect (mega buff) could mean we might be seeing mega beedrill revenge killing with a 50 BP adaptability boosted fell stinger, boosting itself to +3 atk. Might be missing something but this could be a very lethal sweeping strategy..[/quote/]
Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sn iper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe /4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- Fell Stinger
Fell stinger is now actually viable as a usable bug move with adaptability and the buff, Drill Run Grants some nice coverage and Knock Off is just nice to have around for its psychic weakness and ability to take away items

I think Eevee should have an analysis
Nope. Extreme Evoboost is a one-time thing, and not reliable at all given that Eevee will likely be OHKO'd before it can do anything. Taunt also shuts it down, as well as things like Mantine and Toxapex which can just Haze away the boosts.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Currently working on Mandibuzz and was wondering if I should give it some speed investment. I think last gen it had about 8 or 16 in speed to outspeed Azu, but Azu isn't super prevalent so I'm wondering if I should just go 248 / 136 / 124. Thoughts?
Since Azu requires such minimal speed investment I'd still do it

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Running 24 EVs to outpace standard Mega Venu qualifies as creeping 'cause that creeps adamant Azu already, which isn't allowed in analyses; just stick with 16 EVs.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I don't know what everyone thinks about this or whether this was discussed already or not, but I think SD Fightinium-Z deserves a mention on Tapu Bulu's analysis as it helps it break the likes of Skarmory and Celesteela and is better than LO imo, which is the first mention in OO.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know what everyone thinks about this or whether this was discussed already or not, but I think SD Fightinium-Z deserves a mention on Tapu Bulu's analysis as it helps it break the likes of Skarmory and Celesteela and is better than LO imo, which is the first mention in OO.
It definitely does. Hootie wrote the analysis first, so I feel he should have the opportunity to add it first if he wishes to do so.

I also know a few other sets may be requested. Someone is looking into Specs Pheromosa at the moment. I may write AV Magnezone since it's a small write-up and there isn't a lot to add to it (it's just Magnezone and don a Vest), but I think it is rather low in priority and can probably wait until full write-ups.

I know the Mew analysis was only uploaded on Sunday, but I think we should definitely mention Mewnium Z. With it, Mew now has an extremely potent Psychic-type nuke and can now also set up Psychic Terrain. I'm not entirely sure what the set should be, though...

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know the Mew analysis was only uploaded on Sunday, but I think we should definitely mention Mewnium Z. With it, Mew now has an extremely potent Psychic-type nuke and can now also set up Psychic Terrain. I'm not entirely sure what the set should be, though...
I don't personally know if it's the best set, but the most common set I've seen talked about is Rock Polish/Psychic/SBall/Focus Miss

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mew will likely get an update after a short period of time. Mewnium Z is still super new to the meta and needs to be explored a little further before concluding what to use - though guessing that Rock Polish seems the best (Fire Move > Ghost move IMO).

Reactions: ckw
There's actually two errors in that sentence.

I double checked my analysis but these were the only errors I could find.

**Rock-types**: Tyaranitar can potentially take one +1 Bug Buzz and easily lakes one +1 Giga Drain, and OHKOs in return with Stone Edge. Choice Scarf Nihilego can switch in on any of Volcarona's moves, even taking an unboosted Hidden Power Ground, and reliably OHKO Volcarona.

Hootie Edit:
It's fixed now

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)