1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules. Feel also free to check out our hub to learn more about this place!
  2. The moderators of this forum are Bummer, RitterCat, and Tikitik.
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Sticky Sun/Moon Sprite Project: Dawn of a New Day

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Laptop' started by Layell, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This is a thread for the creation of BW style sprites for the gen 7 Pokemon. They will be used on Pokemon Showdown when players use the BW Sprite option, or for everyone if nobody rips the models. This project will run quite differently from the XY Sprite Project.

This time around we will be accepting applications for spriters to help the project. If you don't apply, you will not be able to help out with spriting or QC. This is to make this project less strenuous on me.

To apply to be a spriter:
    -Send a private message on Smogon to me (Layell) with the title "Sun/Moon Spriter Application"
    -Include up to three example images of your sprite work, ideally, they are Pokemon related
    -Tell me what three Sun/Moon Pokemon you would like to sprite that have not been done

To apply to be an animator:
    -Send a private message on Smogon to me (Layell) with the title "Sun/Moon Animator Application"
    -Include a minimum of one animated sprite, with a maximum of three, ideally Pokemon related.
    -Tell me 3-5 Pokemon you would like to animate
    -Animated Pokemon must be approved on the chart as ready for animation, do not animate anything that isn't approved

I will then accept/reject you as a spriter, always offering a bit of feedback. Then I'll tell you what Pokemon you can start spriting. Then you have two weeks to produce some work, and you are responsible for that Pokemon's front and back sprite. You can do it all yourself or privately work with others. But it needs to get done and you'll be responsible for it. If after two weeks I see no progress from you, your Pokemon will be reassigned if others were hoping to sprite it.

Ideally, you are also available to edit the sprite later with shiny palette swaps when we approach the games release. Priority will also go to XY Sprite Project spriters and CAP spriters. (Hint hint: XY Sprite project still needs a few things done).

Rules for creating sprites:

1. 96x96 with a transparent background
    2. 15 colours in the Pokemon plus transparency for 16 colours. This can only be broken for exceptional circumstances, such as with Xerneas.
    3. In the gen 5 style.
    4. Sprites submitted are open to modification as determined by project leaders.
    5. Static sprites will not be replaced with animated ones if the animated sprite is of lesser value.
    6. We encourage sprites to be made of all the Pokemon before we go on an animation spree, if you really want to animate something though feel free to reserve it. Nothing will be animated before we know the shiny colours.
    7. Spriters are expected to do the static sprites of the front and back, spriters who continue to make only fronts may not have future sprites accepted.
    8. Pokemon can be reserved for two weeks, but if there is no sign of progress the reservation will be dropped. Animation reserves can last longer.
    9. The pose for front and back sprites should be the same.
    10. For the love of God don't steal from somebodies deviantart account and pass it as your own sprite I can find those a mile away. I will infract you.
    11. Pokemon ready to be animated will be written as such on a chart that has yet to be created.

If you would like to use these sprites in your project
    You are free to use this in any project that is not a for-profit product. You must make a credit page and link back to this thread. If you are only using a few sprites we appreciate you crediting the individual spriters. Please do not redistribute these sprites as it gives the false impression you created all of them. These sprites are not open source, because we do not have the rights to the characters depicted. Please respect these rules and enjoy the sprites. If you have a completed game or project, feel free to PM me or post it here.

Here is a link to the progress chart
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    WelshWhale28, Conni, Seantham and 8 others like this.
  2. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Applications are now open, in one week from today I'll send out the first round of reservations. Hope to see some folks offer their skills for the next big sprite project. I'll keep this thread open for any general questions that you may have!

The applications will remain open until I say the project is finished.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  3. Take Azelfie

Take Azelfie The rent's cheap
    is a Pre-Contributor

What program do you usually use to make the static sprites and is pixlr fine?
    Is there any specific place to get the color palletes?
  4. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!

1. If it does things with pixels and makes them pngs I am fine with it
    2. You look at the colours of the art, use them as a reference, then use a colour selector and pick out the colours.
    Take Azelfie likes this.
  5. TrainerSplash

TrainerSplash Alolan Form

Are we looking to have things done by release or just as time goes on? I'm thinking to apply but I'm busy with another project at the moment which will probably take awhile to get done, as in I want reserve some Pokemon. But I'm going to be super behind on making them and will take more than 2 weeks to construct them.
  6. Typhlito

Typhlito One Active Dawg
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Contributor

I dont think that would be a problem as long as you show some progress during those 2 weeks.
    TrainerSplash likes this.
  7. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!

Well I had been hoping to send out all the acceptances yesterday, but the site blackout didn't agree with that.

So here are the current Sun/Moon spriters, and the mons they will be starting out on:

Sunfished will be spriting Bruxish
    Espeon Scientist will be spriting the Pikachu rip-off Togedemaru (please don't let that be his English name)
    leparagon will be spriting Bewear!!!
    princessofmusic will be spriting Bounsweet
    aXl will be spriting Tapu Koko

and HeaLnDeaL will do something eventually

in addition to this I have already accepted leparagon's Magearna sprite

[​IMG]

leparagon has a few other gen 7 fronts on his DA account, but I'll leave it to everyone here to determine if they feel up to spriting a full front/back for those mons.

As a reminder, I plan to only have people who formally apply be active spriters and QC people, but I'll leave it up to accepted spriters if they want outside help. Personally I will refrain from any edits until I see released shinies, but if people want to edit they should talk to the main spriter here.

Here is a chart
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Tinberz, Mq, Magcargo and 9 others like this.
  8. princessofmusic

princessofmusic soprano
    is an Artistis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Here's diaper fruit

bounsweet.png

I wasn't planning to do any Sun/Moon sprites initially (from Hawaiian garlands to ugly tropical fish, it seems kind of corny how they're all so "themed". Gen VI overall had solid concepts and designs without going "zis is FREENCH!!") until Layell persuaded me to try one. I picked Bounsweet because it's (1) adorable and (2) easy.

I'll return once we have back references and shiny models available to do any necessary QC.

EDIT: revamp
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Tinberz, Mq, Glustora and 10 others like this.
  9. HeaLnDeaL

HeaLnDeaL Reluctantly Having Fun
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributor

I'd like to reserve Mudsdale, if that's at all possible.
    Layell likes this.
  10. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!

I've scoured DA again for like minded spriters

[​IMG]

N-kin
    made a full starter set, and is great as usual

[​IMG]

princess-phoenix set up a rocking Rockruff

[​IMG]

Lastly Elazulmax took care of this little sleepy Komala

If spriters here are interested in taking these over, I won't object. But I think there is a lot more interesting stuff we have ahead of us and these are all very nice.
    Anime_Fan, Tinberz, Mq and 3 others like this.
  11. Espeon Scientist

Espeon Scientist

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here's Togedemaru!
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Tinberz, cant say, Mq and 15 others like this.
  12. Sunfished

Sunfished

Tried Bruxish
    [​IMG]
    However, after making the backsprite I realized how awkward it looks.
    Still wip, but would like ideas on how to improve.

Also, before anyone says anything about the size, it's real size is small than that of basculin, but right now the sprite is exceeding it. I think making it larger would kinda ruin that relationship
    Mq, Kris, Kyleo and 5 others like this.
  13. fishBowlSoul

fishBowlSoul

Hey there, just saw this thread and wanted to inform you, I have already sprited almost all of the S&M mons (only front sprites) since I have no idea how to create backs, maybe i do I just never tried it. Anyways, here's the link to my deviantart account and check them and let me know what you think about them. If you'd like to use any, feel free to do so, also, if any good spriter wants to create backsprites for them, go ahead. It's all free.

http://fishbowlsoul90.deviantart.com/
  14. fishBowlSoul

fishBowlSoul

It looks cute but I think it's way too big, it's even smaller than cherubi as far as I can remember.
  15. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!

Hey thanks for that, right now I am not grabbing any free to use sprites without backs, unless a spriter wants to make one. If I see that later you've made backs I'll certainly be interested.
  16. princessofmusic

princessofmusic soprano
    is an Artistis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I kind of wanted to show how plump and juicy Bounsweet was and felt that a smaller sprite wouldn't give it enough "presence".

Also, size is pretty much relative. For example, Roselia and Eevee are 1'00" tall, but their BW sprites both are more than 40 pixels in height.

Sunfished I think Bruxish could stand to be somewhat larger, actually (it looks small compared to some fish mons like Goldeen and Feebas). Enlarging it would give you more room to bring out its detailed pattern.
  17. Sunfished

Sunfished

I'll see if I can make a larger sprite. Thanks for the feedback :D
  18. Legitimate Username

Legitimate Username chrom i need u 2 marry that dancer so inigo hav armthrift/RK
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

Guys I think Game Freak might hate us.
  19. Typhlito

Typhlito One Active Dawg
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Contributor

Do you think this would have to be one of those exceptions to break the size limit? If so, how large should it be? Just to give who ever wants to sprite it a reference.
    HeaLnDeaL likes this.
  20. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!

I cannot break the size limit

it's set in stone as far as I know, will talk to Zarel.

Wobblebuns is taking the fire lion Solgaleo
  21. aXl

aXl they love your throat and (quote, unquote) you
    is an Artist

Only other way I could see this happening is if we base a spite off of its (admittedly horrifying) attack animation where it looks like its being tossed around in a hurricane and just making it the world's silliest perspective based pokemon sprite ever.
    princessofmusic likes this.
  22. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!

23. Kyuzeth

Kyuzeth

If I recall, there was already an exception in B2W2, that being White Kyurem's sprite of 111x111. Perhaps there's a different limit for backsprites, but it'd be extremely useful to upscale the canvas, unless that'd be too complicated to program.
  24. aXl

aXl they love your throat and (quote, unquote) you
    is an Artist

I believe showdown crops the sprites to 96/96 in the system.

Aside from that, I'd be willing to sprite snowshrews after finishing Tapu Koko. (Will post the frontsprite to thread when I get home tonight.)
    EDIT: At home. Based the size of the head off of Scizor, who is the same size as Tapu Koko, and went from there. Turns out he just barely fits in 96x96 width without any further editing on my part. Who knew?
    Tapu Koko solo.png
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    eht, Tinberz, Highways and 13 others like this.
  25. Wobblebuns

Wobblebuns
    is an Artist Alumnus

Made a back sprite of Solgaleo from my art thread! Thankfully, I found a good reference for the back from its reveal trailer.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Tinberz, Mq, ant and 5 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)