Survivor SURVIVOR III: Hoenn - won by HeaLnDeaL

SURVIVOR III
Idea approved by Yeti and Walrein, Setup approved by Shade

On a remote island somewhere in the Hoenn region, these 32 trainers are beginning an adventure of a lifetime. For the next 39+ days, they'll be marooned, left to fend for themselves, and adapt to their new environment. They'll be forced to work together, or they'll be voted out of the tribe. In the end, only one will remain, and will leave the island with the title of Sole Survivor. 39 days (not really). 32 people. 1 Survivor!

Rules / FAQ for your viewing convenience (stolen from Jalmont and modified to fit this game)
1. Game Basics:
There will be four tribes with 8 people each. Tribes have been randomized, and we did our best to make sure that no one tribe is severely outmatched in battling skill.

-During the Day phases of the game there will be immunity challenges. Immunity challenges decide who is safe and who has to go to tribal council.

-During the Tribal Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost as a whole tribe. The tribe that loses in the immunity challenge will have to go to Tribal Council and vote someone out.

-During the Individual Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost by a single person. The winner of the immunity challenge cannot be voted upon, but (s)he will be able to vote.

2. Challenges
This season, challenges are going to be very different. They can be anything from Pokemon battles on the Pokemon Showdown! Simulator to puzzles to flash games. People with various skills will be able to do well in the various aspects of this season, so do not worry if you aren’t the best battler!
The challenges themselves will all vary and will typically not be very similar to one another.

-At the start of the Day phase, the details of the challenge will be posted.

-During Tribal (Team) challenges, some players will have to sit out some of the challenges. Players cannot sit out during two consecutive challenges. Yes, this is a little different from the show.

You don't need to be good at battling to succeed in Survivor. While being good at battling will help, no competitive battling experience is necessary.

3. Tribal Council:
-Tribal Council will occur at the Night phase after the Immunity Challenge.

There will be a private vote to see who is eliminated from the game.

You may switch your vote a total of four times before the votes are read. This is four times THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE GAME. If you’ve used all four and you try to switch your vote again, you will not be allowed to do so. You can use up multiple of these vote changes during one tribal council, so be sure of what you are voting before you submit it! It is ok if you take time to do this, just make sure it isn’t too long and that you submit your votes before the deadline.

-The vote total will be revealed to the tribe at the end of the night, but you will not know who voted for who.

-If any hidden immunity idols are played, all the votes cast against the player who used the HII will be negated.

-In case of an initial tie, there will be a re-vote where you can only vote for one of the people with the most votes. For example, if there are 3 votes for Player A, 3 votes for Player B, and 1 vote for Player C in a 7 man tribe, you may only vote for Player A or B during the re-vote.

-In case of a second tie, the player who leaves will be determined by a random number generator. The players who tied for the most votes both times will be safe from this tiebreaker. In the previous example, players A and B would be safe.

Players voted out (aka dead) cannot be communicated with following their removal from the game. There will be absolutely no communication between dead players and alive players. This will change when the game reaches its conclusion, but until then, this rule will be strictly enforced.

At a certain point, those voted out will form the Jury. The Jury is special in that they follow the game in order to vote for a winner at the end of the game.

4. Winning the Game:
-The goal of the game is to reach the Final Tribal Council, which typically occurs with just two or three people left in the game. You cannot win the game unless you make it to the Final Tribal Council.

-At the Final Tribal Council, the remaining players in the game speak to the jury and try to convince the jury that they deserve to win the game.

-Each finalist is allowed to make an opening statement on why they deserve to win the game.

Following opening statements, each Jury member is allowed to make either a statement or ask the finalists a question if they choose to. They may say or ask whatever they want.

-When everyone is done speaking, the jury will vote privately on who wins the game. Whoever gets the most votes wins.

5. Forum Mechanics:
A typical phase will go like this. I post a challenge and the rules. Teams will have around 48 hours to plan strategy and submit lineups (and other stuff like that). From there, tribes will have about 3-5 days to get matches done. The losing tribe will then go to tribal council where they will vote a person off. Some challenges may be a little different, but this is how a majority of them will go.

The Circus Maximus channel on Pokemon Showdown! will be the primary place where games will be arranged. Try to idle there to catch your opponent!

Please do not communicate with players who are not on your tribe during the tribal phase. Obviously, I can't enforce this, but other than pleasantries, do not talk strategy regarding the game in a private manner. The only reason you should be talking to opposing tribe members is to schedule battles.

The voting stage will take place over 72 hours after the challenge is over. Players will have the first 24 hours to strategize, and then the last 48 to vote. I will not be extending deadlines unless I absolutely have to.

Inactive players who fail to vote will vote for themselves, unless evidence can be provided otherwise as to that person voting for someone else, OR if I deem that self voting would negatively impact the strategy of the game, in which case I will randomize the vote.

-No anonymous nicks will be allowed for the purposes of this game. No impersonating as well. You will be punished if caught.

There will be no designated IRC/circus/discord channel for tribes but I highly recommend creating one if you want real time chat with your tribemates (invite me please!). Alternatively, if you would like me or one of my cohosts to create one we can also make a channel. Finally, forum conversations will be created to facilitate team discussion. You can also privately PM people ONLY on your tribe (make sure to invite me and my cohosts!).

FAQ
6. FAQ:
-Q: So this game draws a lot from the TV show?
Yes. A basic knowledge of the format of the game will help you.

-Q: When is the merge, When does the Individual portion start, etc?
Most twists will be hidden from the players. However, in the interest of fairness and objectivity, all twists and challenges have been planned out beforehand. Since this game is not on television, I have no vested interest in ensuring that the game is interesting for outside viewers. As a result, I will be as consistent as possible in terms of following the plan for the game. However, I do reserve the right to make changes for any reason that I determine necessary to ensure the integrity of the game.

-Q: What are Hidden Immunity Idols, and how do I get them?
Wow, you actually read the rules? I’m impressed! Hidden Immunity Idols are special things in this game that can be played at tribal council. When played, they negate all votes cast for the person that the idol is played on. You can play idols on yourself, or on other people. They can have no impact, but can also have a massive one, letting you squeak by 1 vote so you can make it to a swap, the merge, or just on an immunity run to the end. You get idols by answering several trivia questions. The first one for each idol will be announced in-thread or in your tribe conversation. As a reward for reading until here, i’m going to let you know that the answer to the fourth clue for the idols that you can find at the start of the game is “Beldum.”

-Q: Final 2 or Final 3?
You'll see when/if we get there :]

-Q: What does the jury base their votes on?
The Jury is free to base their votes on whatever criteria that they believe to be important. There is no objective way to play the game that will guarantee you win; it is up to the Jury to decide that you are worthy of being the winner.

-Q: Should I communicate my thoughts to the host?
Absolutely! Please include me and my cohosts in all conversations, whatever they may be. I am planning to do a "postgame" that will go over what happened at every stage of the game, so any and all logs would be much appreciated.

On sportsmanship:
Look, this game is meant to be fun. The challenges are meant to be fun. That means I don't expect there to be too many problems regarding unsporting behavior, especially since you cannot win the game by winning all the challenges. I don't want to have to host this like an official Smogon Tournament, so I won't. But please do not/avoid as much as possible situations in which I will be forced to intervene and make decisions (eg activity wins and disconnections). If I hear anything regarding things such as ghosting or any type of cheating at all (when it is not allowed), I will forcibly remove the offending parties from the game AND push for some sort of forum-wide infraction. It's a game. Don't be a jerk.

If necessary, I will enact protocols (e.g. sending in teams and what not) to ensure the integrity of the game. Don't make me do that. I don't want to do that, so let's try our best to be reasonable :]

On activity:
You will get more from this game the more you put into it. By using various games and puzzles as challenges, my goal is to make all stages of the game fun. That being said, I cannot force players to be active, as long as they meet the minimum requirements of voting and taking part in the challenges. If possible, I will avoid making substitutions unless absolutely necessary. A player who idles will likely be left in the game unless it is early in the game or I deem it necessary for whatever reason to make a substitution. This game shouldn't take up too much of your time, but it will be a commitment. Do try your best to be active. Thanks :]

Playerlist:

Haruno
Hilomilo
Jas61292
K.Rool
Myzozoa
Pidge
Walrein
Whydon
Animus Majulous
DeathByWobbuffet
ItzViper482
OM Room
Reviloja753
sparktrain
thetwinmasters
TraceOfLife
Blazade
Flyhn
King_
Memoric
Mikaav
MK007
PD
zorbees
Hawkie
HeaLnDeaL
Jalmont
Lord Gaius
Mithril
RODAN
shubaka17
Ullar

Subs:
Fort Colorcastle
Asek

With that short intro out of the way, let's get started!

Last edited:
Final Results:
1st place: HeaLnDeaL (6 votes)
2nd place: Flyhn (4 votes)
3rd place: Animus Majulous (1 vote)

Eliminated Contestants:
4th place: ItzViper482
5th place: Blazade
6th place: Wob
7th place: Haruno
8th place: Jalmont
9th place: sparktrain
10th Place: Pidge
11th Place: Whydon
12th Place: PD
13th Place: Da Letter El
14th Place: Hilomilo
JURY
15th Place: Lord Gaius
16th place: King_
17th place: Memoric
18th place: zorbees
20th place: Myzozoa & TraceOfLife
22nd place: thetwinmasters & Mithril
24th place: Reviloja753 & Asek
26th place: Hawkie & Walrein
28th place: RODAN & Mikaav
30th place: shubaka17 & jas61292
32nd place: OM Room & MK007

Last edited:
You must guess answers to the riddles in your voting conversations (the place you confirmed that you could play). Any other answers will be redirected to there.
EDIT: Update to the idol rules - guess wrong 4 times in a row and you will not be able to submit any more guesses for two days.

Last edited:

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
As your hosts, we also encourage you to use your individual voting conversations with the hosts as a means to relay your thoughts and feelings to us. Not only will they be used as feedback for possibly future iterations, but it's also good to know how this game's going.

Last edited:
Hello tribes. Today's challenge is... you guessed it, randbats! All tribes will be playing the following: 4 SM Random Singles Battles, 3 SM Random Doubles Battles, and 1 RBY Random Battle.
"But rssp," you ask, "how will this work? There are 4 tribes, not 2!"
Good question! Tribes will be facing each other in rotation, such that each tribe will not face a tribe twice until they battle every other tribe. The starting matchups will be:
Dome Tribe vs. Helix Tribe, and Root Tribe vs. Claw Tribe!

This means that TWO tribes will attend tribal council, and each tribe will be voting off one of their own. This 2-elimination format is being done so that the game will not take half a year to complete.

You guys have 48 hours to figure out your lineups and send them in. If you have any questions about the challenge, feel free to contact me or my cohosts and we'll do our best to clarify them!

For clarity: There is 1 idol per tribe. If someone else on your tribe completes all the trivia before you, they will get the idol and you will not.

EDIT: If you take 48 hours between two guesses, the number of times you've gotten something wrong will reset. You've essentially taken a self-penalty so I feel like it's fair for that to be the result.

Last edited:

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Some of you have posted that you are unaware of RBY mechanics since they are janky. So here are a couple of links that might help you out.

Smogon RoA RBY Resource List

http://www.pokemonperfect.com/forum...mplete-rby-mechanical-differences-guide.3371/

http://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/speed_tiers

http://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/rby_battling - one major difference that i've personally noticed that's probably outdated in this article is that people are forgoing the whole 'don't throw paras' everywhere so you can try to freeze/sleep things with 'ay fck it just para and we'll take advantage of it'.

Last edited:
Apparently people didn't read the rules...
Do NOT talk to people who are not your tribe for game-related talk aside from scheduling games. This is your final warning. There was apparently a misunderstanding because people didn't read the rules, which isn't really a good excuse. The punishment for this won't be very severe because the people involved legitimately did not know that this was a rule, but take this post as an announcement that you cannot communicate with people on tribes that are not your own aside from scheduling games. This is the final warning, and there will be more severe punishment should this happen again.
Please read the rules. I hope I don't have to do anything like this again.

Challenge 1

Everyone sent their lineups in early, great work!

Dome Tribe vs. Helix Tribe
SM Random Singles 1: DeathByWobbuffet vs. K.Rool
SM Random Singles 2: ItzViper482 vs. Myzozoa
SM Random Singles 3: Reviloja753 vs. Hilomilo
SM Random Singles 4: Animus Majulous vs. Whydon
SM Random Doubles 1: OM room vs. Pidge
SM Random Doubles 2: sparktrain vs. jas61292
SM Random Doubles 3: Thetwinmasters vs. Haruno
RBY Random Singles: TraceofLife vs. Walrein

Root Tribe vs. Claw Tribe
SM Random Singles 1: RODAN vs. MK007
SM Random Singles 2: Mithril vs. King_
SM Random Singles 3: Ullar vs. PD
SM Random Singles 4: Lord Gaius vs. Flyhn
SM Random Doubles 1: Jalmont vs. Memoric
SM Random Doubles 2: Hawkie vs. Blazade
SM Random Doubles 3: HeaLnDeaL vs. Mikaav
RBY Random Singles: shubaka17 vs. zorbees

We're giving you 72 hours to complete your matches. Try to at least schedule a time with your opponent if you can't play within 72 hours - should you not properly schedule (via smogon wall) we will coinflip the match/make an activity call at the end of the 72 hours. If you have any questions, please ask me or my cohosts.

Last edited:
Forgot to say this but if we don't specify, you guys can agree to a bo3. If there's a disagreement between bo3/bo1, it reverts to bo1.
also highlight match:
SM Random Doubles 3: Thetwinmasters vs. Haruno

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)