Gen 5 Swords Dance Cobalion is Lit (UU)

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Been awhile since I've done anything on here (used to use another account, but I can't remember the name for it at all lolrip.) Decided to share a UU team from the lovely 5th generation, and since it's been a bit since I've played I do apologize for anything on this team that's just obscenely ridiculous. And in case you couldn't tell from the title, this team was kind of made around an SD Cobalion, but more so around the Qwilfish/Rhyperior defensive core since I had never gotten around to abusing that.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 208 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

I'm really not sure what there is to explain here, as this is probably the most standard set I could've opted for. Rhyperior is great because it can do many things - set up rocks, faze out Pokemon, and also tank hits rather well. The set itself is self-explanatory; Stealth Rock for chip damage on enemy Pokemon, Earthquake and Stone Edge for obligatory dual-STAB (though Rock Blast could be used instead of Stone Edge), and then Dragon Tail to faze out Pokemon. The EVs and nature allow Rhyperior to KO Empoleon that want to risk me going for Earthquake.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Pain Split

Another very standard set that I shouldn't have to elaborate too much on. Qwilfish is a great defensive wall since it has access to Intimidate, and a typing that allows it to wall some of the most prominent threats in the meta to some extent. Spikes is more chip damage, T-Wave lets me cripple Pokemon like Heracross (though Guts is scary), Darmanitan, and Victini, Waterfall lets me do some damage, and Pain Split provides some recovery that isn't my item. EVs let me out-speed Victini after a V-Create, which can be nice since I do live two V-Creates on switch-in.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Synthesis

Shaymin was put on this team once I realized that the defensive core I was starting with got obliterated by any ground move in the game. Shaymin is able to act as a decent switch-in to Pokemon like Rhyperior, because I can eat an Earthquake and KO back with Seed Flare (though I have to watch out for Megahorn from Rhyperior.) Standard EVs and move-set, though Psychic could be used over Air Slash if you really don't care to miss (though more pressure is put on Victini to deal with Grass-types.)

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Probably one of the more non-meta sets on this team, Sub SD Cobalion. I don't know why, but this set has just always appealed to me since it's not super predictable. Since most Cobalion are utility sets, many people will switch in utility-based Pokemon into my Cobalion thinking it can't do much to it. After a Swords Dance though, this guy can chunk some holes into an enemy team. Life Orb could be used over Leftovers, but the recovery is appreciated. I guess Substitute could be dropped for Stone Edge if you wanted Life Orb, however.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Oh Victini, I'm still confused as to how you were never banned. At this point, I knew my team was kind of slow, and I instantly tried to think of Choice Scarf-users. Victini being one of the, if not the best, Pokemon in UU, and using a Scarf set well instantly fit in to my team. This guy also helps make a Water-Fire-Grass core, which is always appreciated. Standard moves and all, though Trick instead of Zen Headbutt could be used to some effectiveness.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

Down to the last Pokemon on the team, Snorlax. I knew that I needed something that could deal with Kingdra, and Snorlax can to some extent. This standard Curse set gives me the ability to stall out certain Pokemon that can't break through Snorlax quick enough, and Rest lets me have a status fodder as well. Thick Fat also lets me have another Fire and Ice resist, which is great.

Threats:

-
Kingdra is easily the biggest threat to this team. While Snorlax may be able to deal with it when Rain isn't up, that's not such the case when it is. Only real counter-play is to hope it Draco's on Snorlax, then force the switch with Qwilfish.

- Offensive Rhyperior can't really be stopped by this team by much. Qwilfish can live a hit and Pain Split, but after that it's basically GGNORE. Abuse the fact that it's slow, and Victini can always be used aggressively to fake the Grass Knot.

- You literally won't win if your opponent has a Cresselia lol. Toxic on Qwilfish could help this weakness, but some Cresselia have Heal Bell, and even then that's losing a lot of speed control by dropping T-Wave.

and
- Nothing really can take a hit from these if they run Focus Blast. Snorlax is your best bet and if they don't run Focus Blast, then you can win 1v1.

- Banded Flygon really hurts a lot and can't be switched on easily. Best bet is to scout what it locks itself in to, and play from there.

Import:

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 208 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Pain Split

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Synthesis

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)