Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Muddy Water / Scald
- Moon Blast / Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Note:
- Scald is a bit counterproductive with Misty Surge
- 140 Spe will out-speed neutral base 70 speed Pokemon with 252 EV

I just had a Revelation: Tapu Fini totally reminds me of this Bomb from LoZ: Twilight Princess

now I definitely need to catch in two weeks

How is it possible that I can control F Swagger and find 0 results in this thread? No confusion swaggers for its allies when its terrain is down might be its best niche in VGC and seems to me to be the only reason to run this tapu over the other three (and it's not that bad of a reason). It also gets the uncommon muddy water which allows it to split attack, and comes with a 30% chance to reduce accuracy which is infuriatingly annoying to deal with.

Safeguard doesn't cause swagger to fail and I can't imagine that swagger works differently with misty terrain now that it stops confusion. Something that probably needs to be tested though.

Also abilities take priority over status changes IIRC.

Edit: Confirmed in research thread, swagger in misty terrain gives the +2 boost without confusing. Long live swagstrats.

Last edited:
Sounds like a disgusting thing on hyper offence if you ask me, go for Eject Button and then short of Whirlwind/Roar or replacing the terrain the opponent can't use any nasty status plays on your subsequent grounded sweeper - with things like burns, toxic and priority TWave not being an issue. If you give it Defog and bulky defences, it can come in later and hopefully clear away troubling hazards or trap for a favourable switch with Whirlpool/Mean Look (Mean Look might be better as it doesn't damage the opponent, guaranteeing you set up with your sweeper rather than the opponent faint). Even without the Eject Button gimmick, the trap and switch is fairly insane (and, I think, what it's intended for as it learns both on level up).

Something like:

Tapu Fini @ Eject Button/Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mean Look/Whirlpool
- Taunt/Haze (to stop opposing set up sweepers)
- Defog
- Coverage

Personally, I think this set from now on should be called the Awesome Jojobobo Set, or the AJ set for short. This kind of facile trapping will be troublesome for OU, if GameFreak had given it something like Recover I think it would easily have been an Uber mon as water fairy typing is pretty solid defensively.

Is there a consensus on this guy's pronounciation? Is it Tapu "Fee-Nee" to be consistent with it's Hawaiin naming origins, or is it Tapu "Fin-Nee" as a fish/porpoise pun?

Regardless, I really like this pokemon's utility, and see it as a popular choice for VGC sets. That bulk, with status immunity for the whole field, it should make a big splash in VGC17.

Tapu fini for me has been the hardest out of all tapu to predict what tier it will actually be in. We know that unlike the other tapu's misty surge gives it no boost like the other tapus, so this lowers the power of its stab moves in comparison by a lot. 95 special attack is not the greatest, and thanks to its ability mons on the ground can't get hit with status so spamming scald on this is not good unless on a mon not on the ground making it harder to abuse burns. Not to mention moves toxic, if you happen to be using it won't work a lot of times so it might be a very dead move. The most negative of all in my opinion is the lack of a reliable recovery move which I think it really needed to guarantee it a spot in Ou. Despite those negatives there are some positives for it like its typing I don't have to tell you how good water/fairy is as a typing offensively and defensively. It has access to defog, calm mind, and taunt. What I really wanna talk about this mon is its access to dual screens in combination with taunt. I see some potential in dual screen set because while base 85 might not be the fastest its really good for a bulky mon like tapu fini that has an immunity and good resistances and typing.

Tapu Fini

Item: Eject Button/Light clay
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast/Mean look/Scald
- Taunt
- Light screen
- Reflect

I imagine the set looking something like this, you can run scald in the place of moonblast because you might just think its needed more or its better in general. Mean look is there because you might want actually keep said opposing Pokemon in so you die to a move and let another mon come in to setup. Granted this might be harder if you decide to op for eject button instead of light clay because not only are screen turns being lost, but misty terrain turns as well. Eject button was added as an option to get tapu fini out of the field so you can have more turns of field to keep up momentum, but gain you get less turns for screens. Taunt is there to keep slower mons from using hazards and setting up that’s where the base 85 speed can come in and be really helpful. The main draw of this set is to abuse misty terrain as much as possible with sweepers or choice mons in the back because we know how damaging burn and paralysis can be to certain mons.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Some interesting calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 32 Def Tapu Fini: 136-160 (39.6 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Tapu Fini: 135-160 (39.3 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

With 32 Def EVs this thing can live a HJK from LO Pheromosa, and 200 lives a CB HJK. Of course Pheromosa still can knock out with Poison Jab, but it's a nice benchmark to hit for the preliminary points of this meta.

An interesting addition of Smart Strike, which Koko and Lele don't get. Koko actually has the attack to pull it off, but instead it was given to the Tapu with the lowest offensive stats? Not including Bulu which also gets the move.

Looking UU with an OU-viable niche in defensive Defog.
How does this look UU? Honest question, it's got a pretty amazing defensive typing a great spread for bulk and a pretty decent movepool. The only thing it's missing is recovery, but it could easily run a Calm Mind mono attack set and it's an excellent defogger. For the Calm Mind set:

Tapu-Fini@ Leftovers
Calm 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Misty Terrain
~ Calm Mind
~ Haze
~ Toxic
~ Scald/ Surf

EVs can probably use some fine tuning but the only things that can switch in and wall Tapu-Fini could easily just eat a Toxic. Scald to cripple Physical attackers and Haze to keep it from being set up on.

How does this look UU? Honest question, it's got a pretty amazing defensive typing a great spread for bulk and a pretty decent movepool. The only thing it's missing is recovery, but it could easily run a Calm Mind mono attack set and it's an excellent defogger. For the Calm Mind set:

Tapu-Fini@ Leftovers
Calm 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Misty Terrain
~ Calm Mind
~ Haze
~ Toxic
~ Scald/ Surf

EVs can probably use some fine tuning but the only things that can switch in and wall Tapu-Fini could easily just eat a Toxic. Scald to cripple Physical attackers and Haze to keep it from being set up on.
Scald will only cripple flying physical attackers thanks to misty surge

Are there any pokemon that have Levitate and learn skill swap? That could be interesting, using Levitate as a penalty to take away a pokemon's terrain buffs.

Edit: Apparently there are a few like Bronzong and Claydol.

I think a good core could be Tapu Fini + Heatran. I think these two cover each other's weakness fairly well, besides Tapu Fini being weak to electric unless you run earth power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)