Tapu Koko Discussion

Don't have calcs because of mobile, but physical koko is pretty much a joke. it gets three competitively viable attacks, two of which are recoil (I'm not counting Nature's Madness because it's more of a VGC tactic). not to mention complete lack of Fairy STAB.

The question isn't whether it's WORTH running as a special attacker, it's that it genuinely can't be physical without just turning into a support mon, which functions better in VGC than singles. Keldeo is not a fair comparison either, when at least it gets more than two stat-complimentary STABs - each of which is amazing in function. Lack of coverage doesn't quite matter anyway when its STABs hit practically everything neutrally at the worst. And Lando? No calcs, but I'm willing to bet LO boosted HP Ice has at least a chance at 2HKO. Worst case, it's scarfed, but just to be safe you send out your own Lando.

Tapu Koko is basically always going to be mixed, maybe special, when it's used offensively. the SpA debacle is essentially Talonflame V2 except it's got T.Bolt as an electric bomb

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
He gets Roost. He can spam recoil moves and sustain himself as well.

He just looks like a weaker Jolteon when built towards Special Attack but with a more diverse movepool. Special invested Tapu Koko relies on it's boosted T.Bolts as the sole reason to pick it. Otherwise it's weaker than the other options out there. It even loses to little Accelegor by 5 base special attack and 10 base speed, unless it can use T.Bolt. And come on. People just swap to Landorus T the moment they see an electric type.
but Lando gets clobbered by HP Ice, and struggles to absorb dazzling gleam

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 165-195 (43.1 - 51%) -- 57.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The set is

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 Atk or HP
Timid/Naive
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- HP Ice / HP Fire / Brave Bird
- Volt Switch / U-turn

HP Ice + Volt Switch to demolish ground/flying (whats up Lando, and Gliscor) types and pivot out of grass types (Venusaur and Ferrothorn), or HP fire/brave bird to break through these grass types, and u-turn to pivot out of these ground types. Dazzling Gleam has its uses hitting opposing electric types, Mamoswine, Quagsire, and any dragon if you don't take HP ice. I'm very uncertain about Nature's Madness, people have been hyping it up, but it's just Super Fang which has been quite meager use, as using it on a tank does nothing if they have reliable recovery, which most of Koko's counters do. Grass Knot gets a mention for breaking through Hippowdon and not much else. As far as roost/taunt/natures madness stallbreakers go, colour me skeptical, because you're just going to be dead weight against an offensive team with electric resists.

It's somewhat reminiscent of Greninja.

Last edited:
but Lando gets clobbered by HP Ice, and struggles to absorb dazzling gleam

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 165-195 (43.1 - 51%) -- 57.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The set is

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 Atk or HP
Timid/Naive
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- HP Ice / HP Fire / Brave Bird
- Volt Switch / U-turn

HP Ice + Volt Switch to demolish ground/flying (whats up Lando, and Gliscor) types and pivot out of grass types (Venusaur and Ferrothorn), or HP fire/brave bird to break through these grass types, and u-turn to pivot out of these ground types. Dazzling Gleam has its uses hitting opposing electric types, Mamoswine, Quagsire, and any dragon if you don't take HP ice. I'm very uncertain about Nature's Madness, people have been hyping it up, but it's just Super Fang which has been quite meager use, as using it on a tank does nothing if they have reliable recovery, which most of Koko's counters do. Grass Knot gets a mention for breaking through Hippowdon and not much else. As far as roost/taunt/natures madness stallbreakers go, colour me skeptical, because you're just going to be dead weight against an offensive team with electric resists.

It's somewhat reminiscent of Greninja.
just saying but the stallbreaker set is u-turn / tbolt and two of following three; roost, taunt and natures madness. Electric plate tbolt + u-turn is all the stallbreaker tapu koko set needs to be a menace against offence. Sure, mons like garchomp and lando-t can be annoying, but u-turning on them keeps up momentum. Thunderbolt on the other hand, destroys all non-resisting offensive pokemon.

Ash Borer

just saying but electric plate + u-turn is all the stallbreaker tapu koko set needs to be a menace against offence. Sure, mons like garchomp and lando-t can be annoying, but u-turning on them keeps up momentum. Thunderbolt on the other hand, destroys all non-resisting offensive pokemon.
You need Taunt to beat some stuff like Chansey, but you need Nature's Madness and Roost together to beat Amoongus. I think Gliscor and M-Sableye are total counters too. Im pretty sure Koko is better off going full offense.

You need Taunt to beat some stuff like Chansey, but you need Nature's Madness and Roost together to beat Amoongus. I think Gliscor and M-Sableye are total counters too. Im pretty sure Koko is better off going full offense.
um taunt beats chansey, but you don't need roost to beat amoong. Natures madness on the switch in and u-turn out, terrain will prevent spore on the switch in and gain momentum for the team. And what, since it doesn't beat every pokemon its bad? Every pokemon in OU will have counters depending on their sets, if they didn't, they would be ubers.

Gliscor can be u-turned on.

And did your really say m-sab is a counter WTF LMAO:

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye in Electric Terrain: 153-180 (50.3 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

nice counter bro.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Go Special or Go home

No reason to ever use a physical set since the recoil on Wild Charge and Brave Bird absolutely suck, and it hits pretty hard on the Special side anyway. T-bolt, Dazzling Gleam, HP Ice, Volt Switch, U-turn, Taunt, GK and Roost are pretty much the only moves you wanna use on this thing. But what a Pokemon! Electric terrain, incredible Speed, good offense will make this the King of Electric-types.

Go Special or Go home

No reason to ever use a physical set since the recoil on Wild Charge and Brave Bird absolutely suck, and it hits pretty hard on the Special side anyway. T-bolt, Dazzling Gleam, HP Ice, Volt Switch, U-turn, Taunt, GK and Roost are pretty much the only moves you wanna use on this thing. But what a Pokemon! Electric terrain, incredible Speed, good offense will make this the King of Electric-types.
Like talonflame he can heal and he'll be fine. A lot of the "problems" people point out are things current OU Pokemon deal with.

Mark my words, special Koko will be a total noob-trap like physical Greninja. Everyone will try it out first and hen realize that the stat with higher base is actually the better option. My boldest (and 100% blindest) prediction yet. But I would not be shocked if that seemingly mediocre electric terrain seed item had surprising synergy with Koko and acrobatics.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
keep in mind physical greninja suffered also suffered from having weaker physical coverage and lower BP moves than special greninja. Koko's Special coverage is stronger w/ access to Fairy STAB, Hidden Powers, and Grass Knot. Pure physical Koko also gets walled by every Ground in the game.

Ash Borer

um taunt beats chansey, but you don't need roost to beat amoong. Natures madness on the switch in and u-turn out, terrain will prevent spore on the switch in and gain momentum for the team. And what, since it doesn't beat every pokemon its bad? Every pokemon in OU will have counters depending on their sets, if they didn't, they would be ubers.

Gliscor can be u-turned on.

And did your really say m-sab is a counter WTF LMAO:

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye in Electric Terrain: 153-180 (50.3 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

nice counter bro.
oh, Sableye is more frail than I thought. Anyways, you misunderstood me. It's a stallbreaker, it's supposed to be uncounterable to stall teams, which is why I never said that, for example, any ground type potentially counters it. Of course they do, but that's not the point. The point is that against more offensive teams, u-turning against counters is valuable, but against stall it's not. Finding free turns against stall is about as easy as finding a mcdonalds in an american town, the entire playstyle is intent on giving the opponent as many free turns as they want, with nothing to do with them. Firstly, let's frame this argument for the best. Roost is worthless, if you lack nature's madness you can do nothing but u-turn on ground types and Venusaur, which is worthless against full stall, and if you lack Taunt, Chansey beats you, again you're worthless vs. Stall. So, the only real set here is Thunderbolt / U-turn / Nature's Madness / Taunt. With this you can think of damaging or outstalling these threats. Now lets talk about the limitations of the set.

So, I've gone over the collective threat list, and I think you are right. The only proper counter to the set that is viable on full stall teams, is Gliscor. I would say that Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard X, Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Hippowdon are also a serious threat, as they can simply keep coming in and using their recovery move as you switch out, accomplishing nothing on either sides, which is usually favourable to stall. Of course, you could Taunt, but then you risk being OHKO'd by Sludge Bomb/Earthquake/Flare Blitz. This is a two way street, as if you predict correctly, your opponent is in serious trouble. Also, Synthesis has a mere 8 PP, so simply continually forcing Venusaur in, and forcing it to Synthesis without gaining anything could work, assuming you have perfect hazard control and you can easily get Koko in for free.

So, despite these hiccups, I'll definitely agree that the stallbreaker set is legitimately threatening to stall. Is losing to Gliscor and labouring to get past Venusaur, Quagsire, etc. too much to make it unviable? Why use a stallbreaker set instead of coverage moves, if you can't break stall? Well the answer really only lies in usage and how well you can read the opponent.

Now that we've established that Koko can potentially break apart stall, lets ask ourselves, is it worth the teamslot? Because lots of stuff beats stall, like SD Life Orb Haxorus (yes it can get past Skarmory), but is kinda deadweight vs. more offensive/mixed teams. So how does this Tapu Koko set fair vs offense? I think the best place to start is the compare it to how offense performs, and then, considering how much better the stallbreaker is vs. full stall, do a cumulative usefulness analysis.

Here are the three sets I will directly compare

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb - 252 speed / 252 SpA / 4 Attack / Naive - U-turn / Thunderbolt / Brave Bird / Hidden Power Ice
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb - 252 speed / 252 SpA / 4 Attack / Naive - U-turn / Thunderbolt / Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Fire
Tapu Koko @ Magnet - 252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 Attack / Naive - U-turn / Thunderbolt / Nature's Madness / Taunt

Both have the same playstyle. Both seek to attack with strong Thunderbolts, pivot out of things it can not beat, and beat the counters they potentially can with their last two moves. Both sets will beat whatever each other beats with Thunderbolt, and u-turn is the same. So the question is, who fairs better against problematic Pokemon with their last few attacks. Here's a threat list, taken from the ORAS viability rankings to show what each set can and can not beat.

Landorus-T, and Landorus - Offense performs better, because they can OHKO or 2HKO. Though stallbreaker is not too bad as its able to turn its momentum into a 50% chunk taken out of Lando this however only applies to the early game. Should it be later, Scarf Lando can come in against stallbreaker Koko, with as little 20% hp, and be get a turn to attack, unless you can u-turn as it comes in and bring in something faster.

Garchomp - Offense performs better being able to KO. Stallbreaker is turning its momentum into a chunk of damage vs. chomper, but does it either give it a turn to set up rocks(pending a risky taunt!)/attack, or take nearly no damage and deal a ton of passive with skin+rocks. If Garchomp is low on HP you pretty much can't hurt it, and if you do you're going to do more to yourself.

Excadrill - Again, another offensive ground type that the stallbreaker can do little against. Yes, hitting excadrill with Nature's madness early in the game does a nice chunk, you don't have a way to really hurt it if its low on HP, meaning excadrill can quite readily take advantage of you. Unless you have a good check to Scarf Excadrill that's up, u-turning as Excadrill comes in may not be productive. This being said, HP Ice Koko is pretty weak against Excadrill too. HP Fire variant wins here.

Ferrothorn - HP Fire wins. Stallbreaker actually loses 1v1 (0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 205-243 (72.9 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Though Nature's Madness does a good chunk, Leech Seed and Protect spam will be rather good at sustaining Ferrothorn. Simply hitting it with Nature's Madness everytime it comes in doesn't wear it down that well.

Gliscor - HP Ice wins. Gliscor beats stallbreaker and hp fire.

Chansey - Only stallbreaker can touch Chansey

Kyurem B - Stallbreaker's ability to Madness + U-turn, rather than just U-turn makes it a better here actually.

Venusaur - Brave Bird can beat Venusaur, but, PP stalling with the stallbreaker, or going for a crippling gambit, is possible.

Hippowdon - Stallbreaker can make a gambit vs. Hippo to cripple it, though it is risky. Nature's Madness on the switch, then either U-turn or Taunt. Predict correctly and win, wrong and die.

Gastrodon - Pretty much the exact same thing as Hippowdon.

Quagsire - Another Hippowdon. Though Dazzling Gleam can 2HKO, no one would ever use Quagsire outside of full stall, and in that case Chansey would beat you.

Charizard X - The final Hippowdon-like.
Of these threats that require specific moves to beat:
Brave Bird / HP Ice beats: Landorus, Garchomp, Venusaur, Gliscor
Dazzling Gleam / HP Fire beats: Landorus, Garchomp, Excadrill, Ferrothorn
Stallbreaker beats: Chansey, and has a chance of beating Hippowdon, Quagsire, Gastrodon, Charizard-X.

I think I can distill it like this. The offensive sets are obviously better at dealing with offensive threats, and defensive Pokemon you're more likely to see on "balance" rather than full stall such as Mega Venu, Lando-T, Gliscor and Ferro. After careful analysis it's fairly clear that the stallbreaker does have some merit. Its only true counter is Gliscor, which certainly wont be on every stall team. However it is quite clear there are a lot of stall Pokemon that Tapu Koko must rely on a fairly risky Taunt or U-turn choice, so its ability as a stallbreaker is imperfect.

I would say all three sets have their merit, and its really up to the team built around Koko to dictate its moveset. What threatens you more? Gliscor and Venusaur? Excadrill and Ferrothorn? Or is it full stall?

Last edited:
oh, Sableye is more frail than I thought. Anyways, you misunderstood me. It's a stallbreaker, it's supposed to be uncounterable to stall teams, which is why I never said that, for example, any ground type potentially counters it. Of course they do, but that's not the point. The point is that against more offensive teams, u-turning against counters is valuable, but against stall it's not. Finding free turns against stall is about as easy as finding a mcdonalds in an american town, the entire playstyle is intent on giving the opponent as many free turns as they want, with nothing to do with them. Firstly, let's frame this argument for the best. Roost is worthless, if you lack nature's madness you can do nothing but u-turn on ground types and Venusaur, which is worthless against full stall, and if you lack Taunt, Chansey beats you, again you're worthless vs. Stall. So, the only real set here is Thunderbolt / U-turn / Nature's Madness / Taunt. With this you can think of damaging or outstalling these threats. Now lets talk about the limitations of the set.

So, I've gone over the collective threat list, and I think you are right. The only proper counter to the set that is viable on full stall teams, is Gliscor. I would say that Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard X, Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Hippowdon are also a serious threat, as they can simply keep coming in and using their recovery move as you switch out, accomplishing nothing on either sides, which is usually favourable to stall. Of course, you could Taunt, but then you risk being OHKO'd by Sludge Bomb/Earthquake/Flare Blitz. This is a two way street, as if you predict correctly, your opponent is in serious trouble. Also, Synthesis has a mere 8 PP, so simply continually forcing Venusaur in, and forcing it to Synthesis without gaining anything could work, assuming you have perfect hazard control and you can easily get Koko in for free.

So, despite these hiccups, I'll definitely agree that the stallbreaker set is legitimately threatening to stall. Is losing to Gliscor and labouring to get past Venusaur, Quagsire, Gastrodon or Hippowdon too much to make it unviable? Why use a stallbreaker set instead of coverage moves, if you can't break stall? The answer to the question would lie in Gliscor and Venusaur's usage. If they were unpopular, the stallbreaker works, if not, it doesn't.

Now that we've established that Koko can potentially break apart stall, lets ask ourselves, is it worth the teamslot? Because lots of stuff beats stall, like SD Life Orb Haxorus (yes it can get past Skarmory), but is kinda deadweight vs. more offensive/mixed teams. So how does this Tapu Koko set fair vs offense? I think the best place to start is the compare it to how offense performs, and then, considering how much better the stallbreaker is vs. full stall, do a cumulative usefulness analysis.

Here are the three sets I will directly compare

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb - 252 speed / 252 SpA / 4 Attack / Naive - U-turn / Thunderbolt / Brave Bird / Hidden Power Ice
Tapu Koko @ Life Orb - 252 speed / 252 SpA / 4 Attack / Naive - U-turn / Thunderbolt / Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Fire
Tapu Koko @ Magnet - 252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 Attack / Naive - U-turn / Thunderbolt / Nature's Madness / Taunt

Both have the same playstyle. Both seek to attack with strong Thunderbolts, pivot out of things it can not beat, and beat the counters they potentially can with their last two moves. Both sets will beat whatever each other beats with Thunderbolt, and u-turn is the same. So the question is, who fairs better against problematic Pokemon with their last few attacks. Here's a threat list, taken from the ORAS viability rankings

Of these threats that require specific moves to beat:
Brave Bird / HP Ice beats: Landorus, Garchomp, Venusaur, Gliscor
Dazzling Gleam / HP Fire beats: Landorus, Garchomp, Excadrill, Ferrothorn
Stallbreaker beats: Chansey, and has a chance of beating Hippowdon, Quagsire, Gastrodon, Charizard-X.

I think I can distill it like this. The offensive sets are obviously better vs. offense. They're much better at dealing with offensive threats, and defensive Pokemon you're more likely to see on "balance" rather than full stall such as Mega Venu, Lando-T, Gliscor and Ferro. After careful analysis it's fairly clear that the stallbreaker does have some merit. Its only true counter is Gliscor, which certainly wont be on every stall team. However it is quite clear there are a lot of stall Pokemon that Tapu Koko must rely on a fairly risky Taunt or U-turn choice, so its ability as a stallbreaker is imperfect.

I would say all three sets have their merit, and its really up to the team built around Koko to dictate its moveset. What threatens you more? Gliscor and Venusaur? Excadrill and Ferrothorn? Or is it full stall?
What stands bulkier u-turn natures madness koko it apart from all out attacking koko is that it puts in work against every playstyle. Not only this, not having LO increases its longevity and means it has more merit as checking some threats that its neat typing allows it to. This set is best against balance as it generally would outspeed all the fast wall-breakers and ko them, yet still threatens bulkier mons with natures madness + taunt.

The best set would definately be:

thunderbolt / u-turn / natures madness or roost / taunt or roost
w/ zap plate, 40 HP / 252 Sp.atk / 216 speed ( speed evs outspeeds weavile)

This set pressures all play styles, and, although not as effective as an all out attacker on offence, distinguishes itself by being better matched against balance and stall.

Im not saying this set is better by any means, but has enough to distinguish itself from an all out attacking set.

Ash Borer

What stands bulkier u-turn natures madness koko it apart from all out attacking koko is that it puts in work against every playstyle. Not only this, not having LO increases its longevity and means it has more merit as checking some threats that its neat typing allows it to. This set is best against balance as it generally would outspeed all the fast wall-breakers and ko them, yet still threatens bulkier mons with natures madness + taunt.

The best set would definately be:

thunderbolt / u-turn / natures madness or roost / taunt or roost
w/ zap plate, 40 HP / 252 Sp.atk / 216 speed ( speed evs outspeeds weavile)

This set pressures all play styles, and, although not as effective as an all out attacker on offence, distinguishes itself by being better matched against balance and stall.

Im not saying this set is better by any means, but has enough to distinguish itself from an all out attacking set.
you're definitely right about the EV spread, I just gave it a fully offensive one out of laziness. And yeah, I'd say it is a distinct enough set to be separate in an analysis, though I implore you drop any notions of Roost if you want to pressure stall.

you're definitely right about the EV spread, I just gave it a fully offensive one out of laziness. And yeah, I'd say it is a distinct enough set to be separate in an analysis, though I implore you drop any notions of Roost if you want to pressure stall.
Yeh thats why I bolded natures madness or taunt. But roost would have some niche uses on certain teams.

In addition to the more obvious Ground-types, it seems like Steel-types who can sponge Tapu Koko's Electric attacks (e.g. Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Magnezone) are going to be a real pain for any Tapu Koko lacking Nature's Madness, who not only lacks the power to back up whatever coverage Hidden Power it would have to use to retaliate--base 95 Sp. Attack, while still good, is significantly lower than that of most Specially-attacking Electric types--but also lacks the typical Electric resistance to Steel STAB.

Of course, this also implies that Tapu Koko is running Hidden Power in the first place. Its 4MSS hurts it badly when you consider the utility Dazzling Gleam and Grass Knot provide for it offensively and the choice of Taunt, Roost, or U-Turn/Volt Switch to give it room to breathe against walls.

Like talonflame he can heal and he'll be fine. A lot of the "problems" people point out are things current OU Pokemon deal with.

Mark my words, special Koko will be a total noob-trap like physical Greninja. Everyone will try it out first and hen realize that the stat with higher base is actually the better option. My boldest (and 100% blindest) prediction yet. But I would not be shocked if that seemingly mediocre electric terrain seed item had surprising synergy with Koko and acrobatics.
I somewhat agree with this, Wild Charge will ultimately be the STAB to go,Char-X and Talonflame already deal with recoil, though I am more inclined for a Life Orb mixed set because of Dazzling Gleam, still I think the special set will still have some uses and contributing to Tapu Koko's viability by giving it more options.

This pokemon seems pretty good. I'm disappointed that its base 115 attack stat is sort of wasted since its physical movepool is pretty mediocre, but base a decent 95 special attack back up by a solid special movepool and Electric Terrain give it more than enough offensive presence. I do think this Pokemon might run a few physical moves to get past a few of its counters, like Wild Charge for Chansey and Brave Bird for Mega Venusaur.

While this movepool isn't amazing, its access to a lot of great moves along with its speed and Electric Terrain seem like it will make this pokemon really versatile. Its standard Special attacking sets, for instance, can run a ton of moves that will differ in how it will end up playing. Volt switch / U-Turn will allow it to immediately get out of a potential counter, Calm Mind gives it sweeping potential, and Roost gives the mon longevity as well as allowing it to pivot more reliably into various Pokemon like Tyranitar and Tornadus-T. Other sets like the stallbreaker sets, subCM, and mixed sets also seem like they will be good options on this mon.

Electric Surge's Terrain effect will additionally allow Tapu Koko to provide support for its team. That being said, outside of A-Raichu, I'm struggling to think of any other abusers of this Terrain. Many of OU's current Electric types are either Flying or levitating, leading to them not being able to abuse Electric-Terrain's power boost, or look to be outclassed by Tapu Koko itself due to its speed, typing, and movepool being much better than other electrics. Magnezone and Magneton might end up being good partners due to their ability to dispatch some Steel-types that Tapu Koko struggles against like Ferrothorn and some Excadrill, but can't think of much beyond that.

EDIT: Xurkitree could also be a good abuser, as boosted Scarf thunderbolts and volt switches will allow it to clean up teams in the late game.

Last edited:
This pokemon seems pretty good. I'm disappointed that its base 115 attack stat is sort of wasted since its physical movepool is pretty mediocre, but base a decent 95 special attack back up by a solid special movepool and Electric Terrain give it more than enough offensive presence. I do think this Pokemon might run a few physical moves to get past a few of its counters, like Wild Charge for Chansey and Brave Bird for Mega Venusaur.

While this movepool isn't amazing, its access to a lot of great moves along with its speed and Electric Terrain seem like it will make this pokemon really versatile. Its standard Special attacking sets, for instance, can run a ton of moves that will differ in how it will end up playing. Volt switch / U-Turn will allow it to immediately get out of a potential counter, Calm Mind gives it sweeping potential, and Roost gives the mon longevity as well as allowing it to pivot more reliably into various Pokemon like Tyranitar and Tornadus-T. Other sets like the stallbreaker sets, subCM, and mixed sets also seem like they will be good options on this mon.

Electric Surge's Terrain effect will additionally allow Tapu Koko to provide support for its team. That being said, outside of A-Raichu, I'm struggling to think of any other abusers of this Terrain. Many of OU's current Electric types are either Flying or levitating, leading to them not being able to abuse Electric-Terrain's power boost, or look to be outclassed by Tapu Koko itself due to its speed, typing, and movepool being much better than other electrics. Magnezone and Magneton might end up being good partners due to their ability to dispatch some Steel-types that Tapu Koko struggles against like Ferrothorn and some Excadrill, but can't think of much beyond that.

EDIT: Xurkitree could also be a good abuser, as boosted Scarf thunderbolts and volt switches will allow it to clean up teams in the late game.
For good partners, tapu koko can be physically focused and work well alongside mega manectric. That mega always was missing a buff to get the important OHKOs necessary to sweep without rocks, and electric surge might be good for that.

Hey guys, any thoughts on any of these potential move sets?

(Fast-Band Pivot with Priority)
Tapu Koko @ Choice Band
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack

Not too many good choices for the last slot, and don't think a special move has a place on a Band build. Ideas?

(Fast-Specs Pivot)
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Not sure whether Timid or Modest is best, Timid with LO would be ideal, but not sure if Terrain will provide enough extra power needed to make up for lower base SpAtk stat.

(Fast Screen Setter)
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Roost
- Volt Switch

I like the idea of this set, since it is faster than most unboosted sweepers and can put up the appropriate Screen first, Roost off and pass momentum on to a teammate while doing decent damage with Volt Switch, thanks to Terrain.

Does this Pokemon really need to run Dazzling Gleam? It has such an average SpAttack stat that without the terrain boost it's attacks can't be doing much. Wouldn't Nature's Madness just be a better option over Gleam? Being able to get rid of 50% of your checks/counters HP is very attractive imo.

Dazzling Gleam is absolutely needed to deal with Dragons, Garchomp and Zygarde in particular, as well as Tyranitar. Nature's Madness isn't that great because most checks can be dealt with using coverage moves. Amoonguss, which can take 2 Specs HP Fire, isn't exactly bothered much by Nature's Madness because of Regenerator, the same goes for Gliscor because of Poison Heal if you decide to not carry HP Ice.

Dazzling Gleam is absolutely needed to deal with Dragons, Garchomp and Zygarde in particular, as well as Tyranitar. Nature's Madness isn't that great because most checks can be dealt with using coverage moves. Amoonguss, which can take 2 Specs HP Fire, isn't exactly bothered much by Nature's Madness because of Regenerator, the same goes for Gliscor because of Poison Heal if you decide to not carry HP Ice.
HP Ice already deals with a lot of those.

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 96-117 (54.8 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 99-117 (56.5 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 166-198 (90.7 - 108.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 166-198 (90.7 - 108.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

So one, it seems like Tapu Koko has a little wiggle room with its non-Electric moves, and you can use them interchangeably depending on your team's needs.

But also... can we just take a second to acknowledge that 95 SpA just isn't that great when it's not utilizing Electric moves? Yes; Thunderbolt, Wild Charge, and even Volt Switch are going to hit like trucks. But LO max SpA HP Ice (4x) can't even guarantee an OHKO on uninvested Garchomp, where Raikou hits 102% minimum with its base 115 SpA. People keep comparing this to Talonflame. But Talonflame is mainly using Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, which on top of both being STAB and having nice coverage together, also have very high base powers.

The sets that seem most effective to me on paper are the ones that are utilizing Nature's Madness.

Wild Charge or Thunderbolt / U-turn or Volt Switch / Nature's Madness / utility (Taunt, Thunder Wave, Roost, a screen, etc)

It strikes me as a set that's not meant to sweep, but be an early-game hole-puncher that can open up the mid- and late- games for other sweepers. Spam your Electric-type nuke move, NM if you're predicting a switch into an Electric resist or immunity, spread status/Taunt (or Roost off damage) as necessary, and U-turn or Volt Switch to maintain momentum. It's just kinda... messing with things early-game to throw the opponent off-balance.

Sorry if anything about this post is ignorant or whatever. I don't typically participate in these kinds of conversations and leave it to the "pros." I just like this Pokemon a lot and want to see it succeed, and I think it can. People just seem to be getting all caught up because it has great Speed and decent attacking stats and think that it has to be a sweeper, while I think it has more potential than that.

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 96-117 (54.8 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 99-117 (56.5 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 166-198 (90.7 - 108.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 166-198 (90.7 - 108.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

So one, it seems like Tapu Koko has a little wiggle room with its non-Electric moves, and you can use them interchangeably depending on your team's needs.

But also... can we just take a second to acknowledge that 95 SpA just isn't that great when it's not utilizing Electric moves? Yes; Thunderbolt, Wild Charge, and even Volt Switch are going to hit like trucks. But LO max SpA HP Ice (4x) can't even guarantee an OHKO on uninvested Garchomp, where Raikou hits 102% minimum with its base 115 SpA. People keep comparing this to Talonflame. But Talonflame is mainly using Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, which on top of both being STAB and having nice coverage together, also have very high base powers.

The sets that seem most effective to me on paper are the ones that are utilizing Nature's Madness.

Wild Charge or Thunderbolt / U-turn or Volt Switch / Nature's Madness / utility (Taunt, Thunder Wave, Roost, a screen, etc)

It strikes me as a set that's not meant to sweep, but be an early-game hole-puncher that can open up the mid- and late- games for other sweepers. Spam your Electric-type nuke move, NM if you're predicting a switch into an Electric resist or immunity, spread status/Taunt (or Roost off damage) as necessary, and U-turn or Volt Switch to maintain momentum. It's just kinda... messing with things early-game to throw the opponent off-balance.

Sorry if anything about this post is ignorant or whatever. I don't typically participate in these kinds of conversations and leave it to the "pros." I just like this Pokemon a lot and want to see it succeed, and I think it can. People just seem to be getting all caught up because it has great Speed and decent attacking stats and think that it has to be a sweeper, while I think it has more potential than that.
Nope no need for apologies. That was one of the most in depths looks at this guy that weighed all options equally for him. You're just as "pro" as anyone else here.

BluThunder73

formerly BadNewsCannon
I can see myself running a double gimmick of Rain and Electric Terrain with this, Politoed or Pelipper, Raichu and a few other solid rain/good pokemon here and there, maybe Toxapex for some bulk, Drampa for it's solid move pool and Golispod for some power. Very happy to see a pokemon like this.

Wanted this thing to be special, with this typing, but alas.
A.Raichu+Tapu Koko was the immediate tandem upon their unveilings and it should be as effective as it's made out to be.
Lack of physical Fairy STAB is frankly awful (Bulu suffers in the same way), but Wild Charge will do bits, and Brave Bird is a nice touch.

Wouldn't Z-Natures Madness be good on this? With such a high speed any "counter" switching in isn't going to like having 75% of it's health removed, especially since Tapu Koko could possibly still do 25% plus damage to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)