Gen 6 The "Are my Pokémon IVs and Nature good?" Thread

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To prevent threads from getting cluttered up with soft reset, talk about IV spreads, Nature talk, we made this thread! Post here if you need help with deciding wether or not to keep a Pokémon, or brag about the awesome Pokémon you just bagged.

To get you started, here's some tactics for getting a good Xerneas and Yveltal.

1. KO the Xerneas / Yveltal. When you do that, it'll actually come back immediately and stay here like a normal legend. Natures and IVs aren't set, so you can do this to avoid that cut scene every time!

2. Get a Pokémon with the Syncrhonize ability (like Ralts or Abra) with the nature you desire, and have it fainted but in the first slot of your party. This gives you a 50% chance of getting the nature you want.

3. In the case of Speed, bring a Pokémon who is ONE speed point lower than Xerneas / Yveltal. For reference, a perfect speed neutral nature one has 119 Speed, while a +Speed nature one has 130 Speed.

4. Finally, bring 3-4 rare candies and a Reset Bag. after you do that other fight, use the Reset bag to get rid of all the EVs from that battle. Use the rare candies and this IV calculator: http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Stats for most Pokémon in that calc may not be spot on, but they have Xerneas and Yveltal right!

5. DON'T USE THE MASTER BALL ON XERNEAS AND YVELTAL! They have a high catch rate, you'll want to save the Masterball for Mewtwo instead!

Xerneas: Modest, 31/x/23/31/24/31. Def is a bit shaky.
Yveltal: Naive, 31/30/31/31/4/31(this one is going to be killed by even like an ice beam from deoxys s.. but i play x so i guess its not that bad given that someone must have traded it to me.)
Zygarde: Careful, 31/29/30/x/31/31. Synchronize didn't work for that one time, but i guess Coil should still work.

Mewtwo: Jolly, 31/31/27/30/20/31. traded it away, i have a bunch of mewtwos from previous gen.
Moltres: Timid, did not reset for iv at all. traded it away.

Even with the legends have 3 set IVs this time, it's still really hard to get a "flawless" 'mon. In fact, even getting 30 or better still takes a ton of patience.
Take, for instance, the odds of getting a 31/x/31/31/31/31 Modest Xerneas:

3 perfect IVs, but a 50% chance one of them will be in attack. So half the time, you'll actually be shooting for 3 IVs. Keep that in mind.
.52((.5)(1/32)² + (.5)(1/32)³) = 0.0002618408203125
The 52% is for Synchronize...yes, you read that right. You still have a 1/25 shot at the correct nature even if it fails, so you have to account for that.

Those odds are just a little better than 1/4000 ... pretty depressing. You can improve them significantly if you're willing to take 30 IVs in the 2/3 other stats you need. Behold:
.52((.5)(1/16)² + (.5)(1/16)³) = 0.0010791015625
With these odds, you're at slightly better than a 1/1000 chance. Still pretty crappy, though perhaps a little less insane to attempt. For myself, as much as I want good legendaries, these odds are still a bit ridiculous.

Just got a modest Xerneas with 30/31 in everything but HP which is 18/19, to keep or not to keep?
Is it better to have perfect HP and a little less DEF and SP.DEF ?

Got a Modest Xerneas too, with 31 in everything but SpD, which is 28/29, and Def, which is 7 (ouch). So... Should I keep it?

EDIT: Ah, what the heck. I kept it.

Last edited:
The Xerneas I decided to keep, for reference of others.

Xerneas - #716 (Modest)
HP: 30 - 31
Att: 12 - 13 (x)
Def: 28 - 29
SpA: 30 - 31
SpD: 30 - 31
Speed: 26 - 27

I've been soft-resetting for a perfect 5 IV Mewtwo. I have a Timid Synchronizer.

I just landed one that is 31/14/11/29/31/31. Should I keep it or keep SR'ing to get a nearly perfect defense IV?

I bagged a 23/23/31/31/31/31 Mild Yveltal. Already saved and beat the game, do I have a good Yveltal in my hands? I've been hearing that a +Speed nature is a lot better for it.

I bagged a 23/23/31/31/31/31 Mild Yveltal. Already saved and beat the game, do I have a good Yveltal in my hands? I've been hearing that a +Speed nature is a lot better for it.
I'm not really a fan of natures that hinder defensive stats, especially when Yveltal has low/average defenses for a legendary. You have the IVs to help make up for that and Yveltal has high base HP, so I'd say it's not too bad but I'm just now trying to get into competitive battling so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Yveltal wants to hit hard off of both his attacking stats, so a nature that compromises Defense is actually the best choice (what with Ubers being dominated by special attackers). I would've gone for Hasty myself (viper is right about +Speed natures), but Mild is still one of the best choices.

It's too bad the Attack stat isn't a little better, but it's probably still workable. Just be sure to check that you're not missing any OHKOs/2HKOs with Sucker Punch.

Untrue, Yveltal doesn't need to hit from both ends, it usually likes specially attacking more. However, sets using Sucker Punch, Acrobatics together with its special attacking etc ofc benefit from a nature not lowering its firepower. Keep in mind though that splitting EVs between attacking stats compromises your bulk, so saying that Defense lowering nature is the absolute best choice for it is nothing but a lie.

I went for a Rash Natures Yveltal so I could run a mixed set. I went for Rash, as I could easily patch up SpD with an Assault Vest if I so chose. Not sure if I will regret the decision or not, but it is set in stone now.

My Yveltal: Rash Nature with 31/31/26/27/27/31

I wanted Max Speed IVs, couldn't get max Spe and Max SpA at the same time but I deemed Speed more important given my planned EV spread. I'm thinking I'll run a Yveltal that looks like this:

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Nature: Rash
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- U-Turn
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse

We'll see, may end up having to trade for another one some day, but for now I'm alright with what I've got.

Thought this was better in here rather than spamming up the other thread so reposting it.

Wondering whether to keep this Mewtwo I caught. Any use for him as mega x or maybe I should have another go for different nature.

I'm thinking mixed might be best way for mega x. Perfect special attack and adamant not really worth bothering with special moves I'm thinking.

Think I will probably try and catch another one but he has four perfect stats. Any use for him do you think? Special defense not great.

Mewtwo - #150 (Adamant) : 6 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 15 / 31

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thought this was better in here rather than spamming up the other thread so reposting it.

Wondering whether to keep this Mewtwo I caught. Any use for him as mega x or maybe I should have another go for different nature.

I'm thinking mixed might be best way for mega x. Perfect special attack and adamant not really worth bothering with special moves I'm thinking.

Think I will probably try and catch another one but he has four perfect stats. Any use for him do you think? Special defense not great.

Mewtwo - #150 (Adamant) : 6 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 15 / 31
Personally, I'd avoid soft resetting for a Mega Mewtwo X right now. The moves Mega Mewtwo X wants are Pokébank exclusive. Also, Jolly is probably a better nature, so you can at least speed tie with Mega Gengar.

I should have asked my xerneas question here... I was so tired last night I missed it.

Anyway, what natures should i keep an eye out for? I know the 3 IV's you want high are SpA, SpD, and Speed. If I get a perfect attack on, should I try for a mixed set? Sadly I don't have a pokemon with syncronize on X.

Y is easier. My Gardevoir is Syncronize and Hasty, which is probably the best nature for that death bird.

Last question... can one get shinies of these pokemon? I just want to know if I should be expecting a shiny.

Sorry for Double post, but just got this Xerneas

Xerneas - #716 (Jolly)
HP: 2 - 3
Att: 30 - 31
Def: 28 - 29
SpA: 26 - 27
Speed: 30 - 31

Near perfect everything... but a Jolly nature... Still, I can get her SpA to over 300, and one Geomancy will man her a beast. The Plus Speed will let her outspeed most everything

Definitely don't keep it. With base stats that high, the -SpA nature hurts even more than bad IVs, no?
Really? How so? Is should still be able to get to +300 SpA right? one Geomancy will bring it to over 600 SpA correct?

EDIT: Also, this would allow it to use Physical attacks to, like Close Combat right? Stops the Steels that may wall it?

Theorymon

Really? How so? Is should still be able to get to +300 SpA right? one Geomancy will bring it to over 600 SpA correct?

EDIT: Also, this would allow it to use Physical attacks to, like Close Combat right? Stops the Steels that may wall it?
I'd just reset. Xerneas doesn't even get a physical STAB. If you REALLY want to use Close Combat, Naive and Hasty are way better than lowering your Special Attack. I can't think of any good reason to keep a Xerneas with nerfed Special Attack.

I'd just reset. Xerneas doesn't even get a physical STAB. If you REALLY want to use Close Combat, Naive and Hasty are way better than lowering your Special Attack. I can't think of any good reason to keep a Xerneas with nerfed Special Attack.
... damn it... and I JUST decided to save because I talked it out with other friends... and we felt the Geomancy negated the SpA-, and I normally have bad luck searching for good IV's and natures... man... Well, I will make it work in game. i think she will do just find for fun battles and stuff, since I didn't plan to use her for one of my main teams. Man... I just wanted to start getting a Yveltal and I was just sitting doing nothing. But like i said, I will make this work, and she will still wreck things I am pretty damn sure, even with the SpA-...

Oh well. Well, I do have a Hasty Gardevoir with Synchronize, that way I can get the right natured Yveltal at least...

Theorymon

... damn it... and I JUST decided to save because I talked it out with other friends... and we felt the Geomancy negated the SpA-, and I normally have bad luck searching for good IV's and natures... man... Well, I will make it work in game. i think she will do just find for fun battles and stuff, since I didn't plan to use her for one of my main teams. Man... I just wanted to start getting a Yveltal and I was just sitting doing nothing. But like i said, I will make this work, and she will still wreck things I am pretty damn sure, even with the SpA-...

Oh well. Well, I do have a Hasty Gardevoir with Synchronize, that way I can get the right natured Yveltal at least...
Well... there is one thing you can do. Me and Jibaku have been hocking our bad Xerneas and Yveltal on the GTS. It's a long shot, but you may be able to eventully get a good Xerneas or Yveltal if you keep using GTS. Putting up Xerneas for Yveltal, and Yveltal for Xerneas, gets you trades REALLY fast!

Well... there is one thing you can do. Me and Jibaku have been hocking our bad Xerneas and Yveltal on the GTS. It's a long shot, but you may be able to eventully get a good Xerneas or Yveltal if you keep using GTS. Putting up Xerneas for Yveltal, and Yveltal for Xerneas, gets you trades REALLY fast!
Hmm, that isn't a bad idea actually. Though there is a chance I could get something worse... when I get to the time I start building the team with Xerneas, I'll start to do that. Have you guys gotten anything good yet?

*shameless brag post*

31/x/31/31/31/31 Timid (Kiloude City judge verified!)

feels good.
Ah nice Mewtwo.

Ok, starting hunting for Yveltal's. I am looking for a hasty with High Attack, SpA, Speed, and Defenses/HP. 3rd time in I got this guy

Yveltal - #717 (Lonely)
HP: 10 - 11
Att: 24 - 25
Def: 30 - 31
SpA: 30 - 31
Speed: 14 - 15

Not the nature I was looking for, and speed and HP are only average, but it seems good. I am thinking of using a Weakness Policy set, so I do need speed, hence the hasty or Naive set wanted. If this had Perfect Speed, I would grab it in a second... but I think I am going to pass. Gonna wait 20 minutes for any feedback before i do, so hopefully passing is not a bad idea.

EDIT: Ok, I just got one I am pretty sure is a Keeper.

Yveltal - #717 (Hasty)
HP: 30 - 31
Att: 30 - 31
Def: 16 - 17
SpA: 18 - 19
SpD: 12 - 13
Speed: 30 - 31

SpA attack... is a little low. Not terribly low, but above average. Not the perfect I wanted, but it's doable. The Speed, HP, and Attack are perfect, which are just as important. if I have Weakness Policy on, and I put at least 126 EV's into it;s SpA, the 2 Special moves i am giving it(Oblivion Wing and either Focus Blast or Psychic) should still hit pretty hard. I will put 252 in speed so it can outrun most things and use that Oblivion wing to heal any damage it takes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)