The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, remind me again what the Colts did to improve their defense? I can't recall any important Free Agency signings on that side of the ball. I know they improved their offense with AJ80 and Gore (although those guys are old so we'll see how effective it ends up being), but correct me if I'm wrong.
Trent Cole,Nate Irving,and Kendall Langford are pretty good additions. If not, at least better than what we had so we did improve

We play the NFC South and AFC East. Should be easy.
The (NFC) South will rise again!

This. They literally tell you who is eligible and who isn't. "Oh we don't have enough time to adjust" this is a problem with the no huddle not the eligibility.
Isn't the problem when they are combined? You can declare ineligibility and snap the ball <5 seconds later. Even in a no huddle situation, the defense can substitute if the offense substitutes. There is no such adjustment time for eligibility/ineligibility plays (is there a real name for these???) yet.

If there are no rules put in place this offseason, I can assure you that there will be 31 other teams jumping on the bandwagon to get a slight advantage a couple times a game. I'd argue that if it becomes widespread, it'll be unhealthy for the game, and honestly a slight tweaking of the rules won't hurt any team including the Patriots (did they even run it in the SB? I can't remember)

Someone compared it to the Wildcat, but I don't really see how they are comparable. The wildcat relied on novelty, but once the defense sees the formation or the QB run off the field, they have plenty of time to adjust. The eligibility play can be run out of any personnel group and has no adjustment timeframe, which makes them pretty different IMHO.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
The (NFC) South will rise again!

Isn't the problem when they are combined? You can declare ineligibility and snap the ball <5 seconds later. Even in a no huddle situation, the defense can substitute if the offense substitutes. There is no such adjustment time for eligibility/ineligibility plays (is there a real name for these???) yet.

If there are no rules put in place this offseason, I can assure you that there will be 31 other teams jumping on the bandwagon to get a slight advantage a couple times a game. I'd argue that if it becomes widespread, it'll be unhealthy for the game, and honestly a slight tweaking of the rules won't hurt any team including the Patriots (did they even run it in the SB? I can't remember)

Someone compared it to the Wildcat, but I don't really see how they are comparable. The wildcat relied on novelty, but once the defense sees the formation or the QB run off the field, they have plenty of time to adjust. The eligibility play can be run out of any personnel group and has no adjustment timeframe, which makes them pretty different IMHO.
Okay, so first off the refs are required to report eligible and ineligible players in the huddle, and in case you haven't noticed the ravens did not run hurry-up when they ran their plays. Defenses will also adjust to see the ineligibility, because its not that hard to see the RB that is covered up. 31 teams jumping on the bandwagon for it is not likely, and I guarantee that defenses will be prepared. As soon as #68 reports as eligible, they know, and whoever is covering the ineligible running back will switch over.

You also have to realize that said running back is almost useless ineligible, so you are basically playing with 10 players; if the defense snuffs it out you are basically out a player. Defenses will adjust to the play, and its not so fast that they can't adjust. Note that they have to sub in order to change eligible and ineligible receivers, and therefore there is going to be time to change the defenses. If the players don't report eligible IN THE HUDDLE, they are not eligible. you say there is no time for the adjustment, but the adjustment doesn't require substitution, it requires x defensive back to go from covering #22 ineligible receiver to #56 eligible.

But your division is almost as bad....Hello?
Where did I say that it wasn't? AFC South is also a crappy division. We have Jaguars,Titans,Texans,and Colts. Only one beyond ok is the latter. This is good for me because it pretty much guarantees a playoff home game for years(unless the Texans manage to catch up) but from a neutral perspective, it's an embarrassing division. Although it's still the better division vs the NFC South. Not to hate on that division(except the Saints. Screw 'em) but the NFC South is worse. Three of the four should have done better(By this point isn't it a fact that the Buccaneers are absolute trash?). Oh well, at least Carolina managed to surprise and tank during December. They were probably the best team of the month then. Seeing them pull together in the last 4 games was enjoyable. Now if only they can jump the hurdle that is the divisionals

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest I think the NFC South is better than the AFC South. The Bucs and Titans cancel out, but the Falcons and Panthers are better than the Texans and Jaguars imo. The Jaguars I think improved the most this offseason, but they still need an awful lot from WARBORTLES to see any kind of success. The Texans still don't have a QB so they are suck until they get one. The Falcons and Panthers at least have starting QBs solidified so they can build around them.

To be honest I think the NFC South is better than the AFC South. The Bucs and Titans cancel out, but the Falcons and Panthers are better than the Texans and Jaguars imo. The Jaguars I think improved the most this offseason, but they still need an awful lot from WARBORTLES to see any kind of success. The Texans still don't have a QB so they are suck until they get one. The Falcons and Panthers at least have starting QBs solidified so they can build around them.
1. True
2. No. The Jaguars I'll give you but not the Texans. The Texans performed better with just Ryan Fitzpatrick than every team in the NFC South(in the regular season) and came close to the playoffs. Texans need a QB true but they weren't awful with Fitzpatrick.

Says the Patriots fan. Owait, rivalries are a thing. Yay team bias.
There is no rivalry between the Colts and Patriots

The Patriots have won the last 6 meetings between them dating back to 2010. The Andrew Luck Era Colts have been outscored by atleast 3 touchdowns in 4 straight games against the Patriots.

The rivalry between the colts and patriots is like the rivalry between The Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals.

1. True
2. No. The Jaguars I'll give you but not the Texans. The Texans performed better with just Ryan Fitzpatrick than every team in the NFC South(in the regular season) and came close to the playoffs. Texans need a QB true but they weren't awful with Fitzpatrick.
Fitzpatrick would do fuck all against Carolina's defense.

You do realize that the Patriots are a very shady organization right? Regardless of whether or not the allegations are true, you just need to deal with it. Stop being butthurt
There are no allegations here, the ravens are implying that the patriots did something wrong and they didn't. Its pretty simple.

As far as the patriots being a "shady" organization.

All NFL teams employ common criminals.

The Ravens have 8 arrests in the last 13 months, by far the most in the NFL. Their franchise's greatest player probably killed a guy. Terrell Suggs has been accused of domestic violence twice.

The Colts are tied for second with 5, including their owner.

The Cowboys just hired a guy who beat his girlfriend, threw her on a couch filled with Assault rifles, was convicted of doing so, then paid her off so she wouldn't testify against him.

The Patriots employed a serial killer for 3 years.

The Steelers had a cleaner that helped cover up the crimes of players.

An NFL Ref was disenfranchising children's charities for his own profit.

The entire "legal tampering window" basically encourages teams to illegally tamper.

I could go on and on.

The entire league is shady.

But the patriots get the brunt of the criticism for whatever reason.

Last edited:
There are no allegations here, the ravens are implying that the patriots did something wrong and they didn't. Its pretty simple.

As far as the patriots being a "shady" organization.

All NFL teams employ common criminals.

The Ravens have 8 arrests in the last 13 months, by far the most in the NFL. Their franchise's greatest player probably killed a guy. Terrell Suggs has been accused of domestic violence twice.

The Colts are tied for second with 5, including their owner.

The Cowboys just hired a guy who beat his girlfriend, threw her on a couch filled with Assault rifles, was convicted of doing so, then paid her off so she wouldn't testify against him.

The Patriots employed a serial killer for 3 years.

The Steelers had a cleaner that helped cover up the crimes of players.

An NFL Ref was disenfranchising children's charities for his own profit.

The entire "legal tampering window" basically encourages teams to illegally tamper.

I could go on and on.

The entire league is shady.

But the patriots get the brunt of the criticism for whatever reason.
You can blame sports writers for blowing up the Patriots' accusations but not bat an eye on the other teams. Not my fault I haven't heard much about the other teams. Seahawks used PEDs apparently,the Cleveland Browns texting scandal,Bountygate,Ben Roethlisberger raping someone,Aaron Hernandez,Spygate/DeflateGate,and Atlanta Falcons pumping fake crowd noise for their home games is all I really knew about. Oh yeah and D'Quell Jackson.
But seriously I can understand the frustration of a Patriots fan but really they just need to stop being Butthurt and whine and complain that they're called "cheaters" but they've been called that since Spygate so I don't know why they're STILL complaining. Also, the Patriots aren't exactly 100% innocent but their fans just don't care. Smh

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How about fucking realize that none of those people are on this website. Not one of us has badgered you about the Pats being cheating and you're responding by taking straight up potshots at us. The tweet you posted was objective fact and you took it as an avenue to attack the organization and those of us on this site who are Ravens fans. It needs to stop.

edit
reddit said:
It's less about the Pats being shady and more about it being too difficult for refs to consistently enforce it. It was such a complicated set of rules/strategy that one of the players slightly messing up (forgetting to check in or sub out or w/e) made it illegal without the refs even noticing.

Last edited:
I hate how I moved to Michigan and now have to hear horrible sports radio about the fucking Detroit Lions. It's just dreadful.

Anyone else have to hear the constant bitching with no light at the end of the tunnel mentality from a local team?

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I hate how I moved to Michigan and now have to hear horrible sports radio about the fucking Detroit Lions. It's just dreadful.

Anyone else have to hear the constant bitching with no light at the end of the tunnel mentality from a local team?
Don't listen to the fucking radios lol. Also the detroit lions aren't going nowhere so to speak, they will either get better or worse in the coming years. And the constant bitching is the definition of sports radio and the places of mediocre teams, so get used to it.

Don't listen to the fucking radios lol. Also the detroit lions aren't going nowhere so to speak, they will either get better or worse in the coming years. And the constant bitching is the definition of sports radio and the places of mediocre teams, so get used to it.
Once Aaron Rodgers leaves the Packers, the Lions will take over the NFC North unless Teddy Bridgewater somehow develops into a beast. Meanwhile, the Chicago Bears will be better but they won't have all the pieces

Just hate music while driving at times so I listen to anything mellow/talk radio. Michigan is a depressing state though, fuck this.

At least in Illinois they had plenty of bright sides and things to look forward to along with the typical shit Cutler and shadow of the Packers. These poor souls here..smh. But yeah, I suppose sports radio is just over the top and "end of the world" mentality to keep them relevant.

Them Bills though.. Semi-excited about this upcoming year. Obviously nearly impossible division..but consistency is key, eventually the barrier between Patriots and the rest of them will be broken down. Wild Card?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Reddit copy paste
I counter with a reddit copy paste of my own: this time with "smogon talks about complex bans" levels of fury and righteousness.

Especially since this is hardly anything new. Any time you see a 6-offensive lineman set on the goal line, there is ineligible/eligible receiver stuff going on.

It's also the simplest thing in the world for a defense to catch on to. There are exactly 7 players on the line of scrimmage. The two outside players are eligible, and the five inside players are ineligible. Even if the offense never states which players are eligible the defense can still tell who to cover 100% of the time. Forcing the offense to declare eligibility was redundant as is; outright banning it is ridiculous.

I'm not mad as a Patriots fan, because I fully believe that Belichick wouldn't be using this strategy any more even if it were legal. I'm mad as a football fan, because this line of thinking is incredibly dangerous. They literally changed the rules for no reason at all. This is like the NFL forcing mobile quarterbacks to declare whether or not they'll hand off the ball on read-options. This is like forcing the defense to declare exactly how many players are blitzing on each down, or whether their corners are in man or zone coverage. No, scratch that. The offense was already forced to declare eligibility prior to the snap. This is like the NFL banning cornerback blitzes, or onside kicks. This is absurd.

Yeah who would want to talk about that team it's not like they're good or galvanizing or polarizing or just a hot topic issue ever. We should take about some really interesting teams like the Titans or the Redskins.
Well we can talk about why the heck Jake Locker is retiring and the fact that RGIII was a bust.....yeah I got nothing

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I lived in Northern Virginia for 17 years.

EDIT: Enough with the petty back and forth bickering. I just deleted a half a page worth of posts, all in a row. If you're going to post something, please try to at least give it some relevance or content

Enough with the petty back and forth bickering. I just deleted a half a page worth of posts, all in a row. If you're going to post something, please try to at least give it some relevance or content
I'm sorry. I just have low tolerance for annoying people. My bad. :(
Anyway, anyone wanna discuss the rule changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)