The Genius / Society Game

RODAN

Banned deucer.
I have recently stumbled upon the greatest reality TV show of all time, and i strongly urge everyone to watch it

The rules are pretty complicated, so if you want a good explanation the show will do so in the first few minutes of the first episode. But nevertheless, this is the description from Wikipedia:

*The Genius is a South Korean reality game show aired every Saturday night on a cable channel TVN (South Korea). Each season consists of 12 episodes with 13 contestants. One person will be eliminated in every episode, and the final player left standing will be named the champion of the season.

The Genius brings together 13 contestants from various areas to compete for the top spot in rounds involving various games. Every episode, a contestant is eliminated following a main match and a death match. The winner of the main match will gain a token of life as assurance to proceed to the next round. While the loser of the main match has to go through a death match with an opponent of his/her choice. However, they can not choose a person with a token of life.

Beside the token of life, the winner of the main match will also gain a quantity of red garnets. Each garnet is worth 1,000,000 won (approximately US$1,000). In the final episode, only the champion's total garnets are exchanged for real money. Garnets are transferable and may be gained within the game. However, all forms of theft and violence are disallowed. Because the show requires sharp thinking to win, every game is expected to be riddled with thrill and shock. Each contestant must figure out how the game works and how they can win as quickly as possible, and they may join forces with others, betray them or simply eliminate their competitors.

Contestants are encouraged to use every means to survive. The 13 geniuses continue to get to the end of the game in order to grab the great prize money, and in the process, build their own characters*

Here is a link to season 1

if you have seen it before what are your thoughts? if you havent and are a fan of the manga Liar Game or just good gameplay in general please give this a shot.

Finally decided to give this a shot and it was very good. The games seem very "game theoretic" in the sense that they're simple, decently mathematical, and have a lot of non repeating meta levels of thinking. Throughout the course of the game, either the show or the contestants will go into decent depth about the complexity of the possible strategies. Some games themselves were repeated, which in some cases was silly, but most of the time the possibility of iterating a game made it more interesting. The macro social logic is pretty similar to every other reality show out there, but the garnets spiced that up a bit, too.

I took a quick look for subbed versions of other seasons and couldn't find any. Do you have them, RODAN? Edit: Found season 2, albeit lower quality.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is a great find. Went through the first two episodes. I really don't dig reality shows because they try to sound tactical and smart, when they are not but in this case I'm impressed with the execution.

Really hope this shit isn't scripted.

e: also keeping up with complicated developments, subdevelopments, and meta-narratives and visuals all through subs is a little overwhelming. A lot of data just escapes grasp. I hope this'll become less of an issue as I get more familiar and the number of participants (and hence variables) decrease.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This sounds just like the manga Liar's Game (give it a read, fantastic series bar the ending). Sounds interesting and will give it a watch after finals week.

I'm just going to say this show is really good. I went through the whole Season 1 a couple hours after RODAN's post and I just burned through one of my free days because of this (i dont have many free days). It still felt kinda worth it though.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I haven't watched a TV show for years but episode 1 of this was amazing. I'm absolutely gonna watch everything. Thanks for sharing.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
I've seen the first few episodes, and then lost time. I think I got to the Zombie game episode but then had finals come up. I'm really looking forwad to finishing the series though, and seeing if my winner pick based on the first few episode's editing is right.

Isa

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
just finished season 1.

My favorite got eliminated in episode 3, but the person who ended up in 3rd place was a really charming character. The finals didn't leave me with a good feeling though, I think the format was poor.

season 2 hype

edit: i found out that eunji died a year after this :( rip.
edit a few years after: turns out eunji park is a common name

Last edited:
I'm so shocked and upset that Sunggyu is not in the all-star thing. He was one of the best players there. I haven't seen season 3 though so idk if Jungmoon/Junseok have any important role there, having junseok/jungmoon in the all-star seems a little weird to me, but either way im excited for a new season of the genius with jinho/kyungran/sangmin/yohwan/junghyun. I honestly would have really liked to see Doohee over Yoonsun though, he deserves another shot

I'm so shocked and upset that Sunggyu is not in the all-star thing. He was one of the best players there. I haven't seen season 3 though so idk if Jungmoon/Junseok have any important role there, having junseok/jungmoon in the all-star seems a little weird to me, but either way im excited for a new season of the genius with jinho/kyungran/sangmin/yohwan/junghyun. I honestly would have really liked to see Doohee over Yoonsun though, he deserves another shot
Sunggyu is probably busy doing his solo promotions

Season 4 info
Season 4 death matches will be Tactical Yutnori, Indian Poker, Same Picture Hunt, Gyul! Hap!, Quattro, Black and White, Betting RPS, Double Sided Poker, Twelve Janggi, Monorail and Same Number Hunt. Both death match players will veto a few and choose one by random draw. The players with the most garnets at the end of a garnet match will win. The player with the least will be the elimination candidate. 3 garnet matches out of 11 main matches.

patiently waiting for s4 translations to come out ;-; also jeez i really didn't like yeonseung and am disappointed that he is back

Isa

i like yeonseung! i think season 4 is filled with great characters. they managed to get top 3 from all past seasons and some extras. the only one i dont understand is jungmoon, whereas it feels to me like they've wanted junseok to participate and go far since the start of season 1, so i see why he got in.

where's my beloved minsoo/jimmy cha though ;_; my favorite person so far to participate.

I really like the idea behind the garnet matches since in other seasons if you had the garnets to buy an advantage it was a no brainer but now there is more drawbacks to it. Predicting quattro to be vetoed every deathmatch round. This main match feels like people will alliance up with people who don't have the convict card and just trade with everybody else in the alliance to get points and joint win. Holy shit sangmin played so well with the convict card. Yeah junghyun using that 7 sealed his fate. I really think you have to take the early wins to put pressure on the enemy player in black and white every game the player who started behind always loses.

Isa

junsoek might be perceived as a strong player in the head to head games but damn he REALLY cant play the social game, that was a superb way for him to get a lot of opponents

sangmin impresses as usual by being the by far most situation aware player this game has ever been graced by

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Started watching this show last week and just watched the Monopoly Game (S2E6) That episode was both amazing and disgusting to watch but I really dislike how there were already definite alliances after three episodes; enjoyed season 1 more than season 2 but my favorites are luckily still in. Thanks for sharing this rodan

Isa

for what it's worth season 2 has a terrible rep among fans specifically because of episode 6, the contestants even reference it in season 3 ("the cursed episode 6! oo~")

S4E2 SUBS PLS

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
for what it's worth season 2 has a terrible rep among fans specifically because of episode 6, the contestants even reference it in season 3 ("the cursed episode 6! oo~")

S4E2 SUBS PLS
Yeah I also have strange feelings about this episode especially because they took Doohee's ID without giving it back and after that he was given the fake token of immortality. I liked the idea of the main match because it puts the player in risk to not get too many of the same resources or too many bombs, so it could go both ways (especially because there were just a few bomb cards to monopolize it) Not done watching S2 yet but Sangmin is doing really well so I won't be surprised if he will win it this time

Jinho's team pretty much guaranteed that either 1 of kyunghoon or yohwan will die since they have 2 completely different characters to win with rofl. Another terrible play by jinho's alliance by not instant surrendering from yoohyun jesus christ. Another bad play from jinho's alliance letting mummy win in round 3 cause they put 1 coin on 1 instead of 4. Honestly the best player on jinho's alliance was kyunghoon for going blue blue green in the end lol. Yeah jinho's performance overall was just bad this episode.

Isa

THAT WAS THE MOST DOMINATING AND IMPRESSIVE SHOWING IN A DEATH MATCH I HAVE EVER SEEN

Dongmin is a GOD

and Sangmin keeps on winning heh.

but wow that deathmatch

Isa

double post because reasons

but i really hope you're watching the Behind The Scenes

i LOVE dongmin he's by far my favorite character ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)