The Move: Super Fang

LR, not sure where you got that idea from, but Brine has base power of 65 which doubles to 130 if the foe has less than half health left.

With Sharpedo getting STAB with it, I can imagine that SFPedo could potentially break any wall it wanted.

LR, not sure where you got that idea from, but Brine has base power of 65 which doubles to 130 if the foe has less than half health left.

With Sharpedo getting STAB with it, I can imagine that SFPedo could potentially break any wall it wanted.
Vaporeon?

It depends on the metagame you're referring to really, but whatever the tier I can think of at least one example of a wall that isn't broken by Sharpedo just because it is a Water/Dark type with Super Fang and Brine.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
With sucker punch and super fang Nidoqueen now has a chance to go up to BL at least. Its defensive stats aren't bad (90/87/85), and paired with super fang and a priority, I'd say it may become quite a threat.
You make it sound like going to BL is a good thing...

Never said going to BL is a good thing or a bad thing. However, I am just saying what I believe may become too powerful because of certain traits it has gained from the recent changes. Again, regardless of my preference, I am merely stating what I believe in.

Sucker Punch isn't powerful enough to make it get banned from UU, however it will definitely see more usage(although I don't see the Sucker Punch + Super Fang combo becoming popular).

I'd say 80 isn't a weak one. While not being able to be a stab and what not, after Super fang cuts 1/2 of the opposing pokemon's life and with Stealth Rock, I'd say Sucker Punch may even be enough to land a lot of OHKO's with enough attack power.

I'd say 80 isn't a weak one. While not being able to be a stab and what not, after Super fang cuts 1/2 of the opposing pokemon's life and with Stealth Rock, I'd say Sucker Punch may even be enough to land a lot of OHKO's with enough attack power.
The Super Fang + Sucker Punch combo makes very little sense on paper. As far as sweepers are concerned, Super Fang is the least of their worries (anything they can survive is a point in their favor), and those are exactly the kind of Pokemon that are afraid of Sucker Punch in the first place. The majority of walls don't give a shit about Sucker Punch tbh, it's just free recovery or status / setup.

In a nutshell:

Sweepers :- fear Sucker Punch, not bothered by Super Fang.
Walls :- fear Super Fang, not bothered by Sucker Punch.

It's counter-intuitive. However, Super Fang + Taunt, that makes more sense as a combo. But if trying to take on both kinds of Pokemon with one set, you'd be better off with Nidoking IMO.

Super fang is going to give Registeel hell, while walls with a proper recovery move will become more popular. Not entirely sure if more Clefables and Chanseys is a good thing, but fewer Registeels is.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Now that I think about it, what will force a switch out of Sharpedo? Since Super Fang is expected to become common, countering it is a simple matter of outpredicting and killing it. Then again, you can scare the hell out of opponents if they're trying to figure out whether you'll go in and kill whatever they have on the field or use Super Fang on the switch.

I'm still most excited for it and Walrein, but Super Fang seems most effective when you use it on the switch. Just going in to Super Fang something and then die or otherwise missing an opportunity to fire it off seems like a waste.

For many of these Pokemon like Sharpedo, it will be all prediction. All those Ghost and Psychics can't afford to stay in on Sharpedo, but they may want to hit it hard, expecting Super Fang. This will probably lead to another set becoming popular, most likely Choice Scarf, if it's being used in OU. It will force the opponent to make tough guess work. You can't switch to a Ghost in most cases, because Crunch will hurt. Frail sweepers that are weak to Water/Dark will have to switch, or die. Of course.. what if Sharpedo only goes for Super Fang?

I will love the mind games. :naughty:

The Super Fang + Sucker Punch combo makes very little sense on paper. As far as sweepers are concerned, Super Fang is the least of their worries (anything they can survive is a point in their favor), and those are exactly the kind of Pokemon that are afraid of Sucker Punch in the first place. The majority of walls don't give a shit about Sucker Punch tbh, it's just free recovery or status / setup.

In a nutshell:

Sweepers :- fear Sucker Punch, not bothered by Super Fang.
Walls :- fear Super Fang, not bothered by Sucker Punch.

It's counter-intuitive. However, Super Fang + Taunt, that makes more sense as a combo. But if trying to take on both kinds of Pokemon with one set, you'd be better off with Nidoking IMO.
Why would this be? Please do explain.

A thing I see happening, that no one else has really pointed out: Is a rise of Tinted Lends Yanmega. Registeel usage rose in an effort to "Counter" Tinted Lens Yanmega, as it 3HKO's it, something few other Pokemon not weak to SR can claim. If Super Fang becomes hugely popular in the UU environment, Registeel usage will drop. It's only reliable recovery move is Rest, and if it does that it is a sitting duck to any Super Fang user for two turns.

So, if Registeel usage dies down, very few Pokemon can adequately handle the threat of a Choice Specced Yanmega's Bug Buzz. I see the two happening in tandem with one another. Of course this is just theorymon, but I say it is a strong possibility.

Not only that, but the premier Special Walls of UU, Chansey and Clefable, do not enjoy taking Yanmega's heavy hits either. With Registeel usage dying down it could even switch HP Ground for HP Fighting just to hit them all that harder. They will also not enjoy staying in on the Super Fang user partnered with Yanmega.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Not only that, but the premier Special Walls of UU, Chansey and Clefable, do not enjoy taking Yanmega's heavy hits either. With Registeel usage dying down it could even switch HP Ground for HP Fighting just to hit them all that harder. They will also not enjoy staying in on the Super Fang user partnered with Yanmega.
I don't play UU, but please enlighten me why would one use HP Fight against Blissey/Clefable when Bug Buzz does almost the same damage (135 vs 140), and why would one use HP [Super-Effective] against Registeel when the same situation above applies if it's a Tinted Lens Yanmega.

A thing I see happening, that no one else has really pointed out: Is a rise of Tinted Lends Yanmega. Registeel usage rose in an effort to "Counter" Tinted Lens Yanmega, as it 3HKO's it, something few other Pokemon not weak to SR can claim. If Super Fang becomes hugely popular in the UU environment, Registeel usage will drop. It's only reliable recovery move is Rest, and if it does that it is a sitting duck to any Super Fang user for two turns.

So, if Registeel usage dies down, very few Pokemon can adequately handle the threat of a Choice Specced Yanmega's Bug Buzz. I see the two happening in tandem with one another. Of course this is just theorymon, but I say it is a strong possibility.

Then Yanmega will go back to OU/BL like it deserves.

I'm personally very excited about Nidoking getting Superfang. He is already capable of 2hkoing many of the UU walls thanks to his downright amazing movepool and good speed. With Super Fang, he doesn't need to choose the right move anymore to kill a wall effectively; Super Fang can put many walls into kill range of a super effective move of choice. Unfortunately he has so many moves...Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Earth Power, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball...I mean the list of his moves just goes on and on and you can only pick 3 to go with Super Fang. Super Fang, Thunderbolt, and Earthquake (knock out those special walls) are probably givens. The last slot should probably go to Shadow Ball, though most ghosts take some heavy damage from Fire Blast anyway, which is useful for some of the grass types. Ice Beam gives good coverage and handles Altaria too.

And SR resist/Toxic Spikes immune...very cool. Possibly OU material (he can definitely take many pokemon on stall pretty well too with the right movepool).

I don't play UU, but please enlighten me why would one use HP Fight against Blissey/Clefable when Bug Buzz does almost the same damage (135 vs 140), and why would one use HP [Super-Effective] against Registeel when the same situation above applies if it's a Tinted Lens Yanmega.
It was more of an obligatory move statement, as really Bug Buzz outdamages most SE attacks coming from Yanmega point for point. Giga Drain is even suggested on the set sheerly for Health Regeneration. That saying, my example was purely for type coverage. Bug Buzz and Air Slash are the only two moves that Yanmega needs in its arsenal, as Air Slash alone hits everything in UU for at least neutral.

Damnit, wish Miltank could get this... Scrappy+Super Fang... man...
That... would be simulatenously so awesome and so broken. Sub + Super Fang + Focus Punch + Filler would be quite the amazing moveset.

magneton 4x resists air slash

the sucker punch nidoqueen argument doesn't make much sense; lemmiwinks has already mentioned the main reasons. walls will take the super fang and just recover off the damage, while sweepers should have ways to get around a sucker punch -- especially one as weak as non-stab nidoqueen's. plus at most you're taking out one sweeper as long as your opponent isn't braindead and keeps switching in full-health pokes after you've revealed super fang.

the more interesting topic here imo is that this will cause walls without recovery to be used less and walls with recovery to be used more. but if we look at the list of pokemon that got super fang they are for the most part fighting / fire / ground type, which means registeel isn't going to be switching in to wall them. if anything this will make milotic and friends (slowbro or slowking) used a lot more because they will be able to easily recover off any super fang damage.

I agree with chenman that nidoking will become more dangerous than before because it can 2HKO the majority of walls with its standard moveset, but won't have to worry about predicting the proper switch-in now. the problem is that he kinda already has four moveslot syndrome =(...

Nidoqueen should run a set like...

Super Fang
Earthquake
Taunt
Stealth Rock
This set seems like it would well with Nidoqueen's role as a tank. She can now beat other tanks/walls one on one(other than bulky waters, obviously), and set up Stealth Rock for the team. You are left walled by Rotom, but Stealth Rock will be your first move to make, so you can predict from there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)