Resource The NU Replay Thread (Now Accepting SM NU Alpha Replays)

Approved by laseli
credits to andrew for the great art
credits to firemage for the original thread

Hey guys, welcome the the new and improved NU Replay Thread! The purpose of this thread is to serve as a place where a user can find replays of high-level NU matches throughout all walks of NU. These include:
  • Official Tournaments (NU Open, SPL)
  • Forum Tournaments (NUL, Minitours, NU Ladder Tour)
  • Room Tournaments
  • Quality High-Ladder Matches
Quality high-ladder doesn't mean that you can post about how your Skiploom managed to Subseed down and entire team of Little Cup pokemon, just because you're above 1300 on the ladder. This thread is to be used as a resource for players who aspire to become better, and want to watch high-level NU replays in order to notice tendencies in teambuilding, playing-style, etc. If you are unsure about whether or not you should post your replay, Ask me through VM (and dont forget to provide the replay in the VM as well) and i'll determine whether or not you should post it. In addition, the finals of all official room tours will be updated in the OP by myself, as well as the finals of any forum tournaments.

Also, when you post a match, be sure to give a short description of who you were playing, what you were playing them for, and why you thought it was a good replay. A sample post would look something like this:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-255728085

hey, so this was a match I had the other day against my buddy Sir Kay in the Quarter-finals of an official room tour. I felt like this match was worth sharing because it shows off a really underrated set in Will-O + Hex Mismagius, as well as showing how a well-played Skuntank can terrorize unprepared teams.
Enjoy this resource and happy watching!

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
GONNA SUPPORT MY GOOD BUDDY CAN-EH-DIAN HERE WITH A FRESH REPLAY

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-257943997

This was a battle I had against tennis's tutee Jariibo for practice or somethin idk. Brought the Lapras godsquad which is apparently quite Haunter weak! I probably should have kept Rotom-S's Scarf from the beginning but crippling Lanturn was nice for late game so I guess it's up to speculation. There was a little hax on my side and a little on his, but ultimately great plays on both sides. Hope you get involved with the community more bud, I like good players who can make intelligent reads ;)

GONNA SUPPORT MY GOOD BUDDY CAN-EH-DIAN HERE WITH A FRESH REPLAY

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-257943997

This was a battle I had against tennis's tutee Jariibo for practice or somethin idk. Brought the Lapras godsquad which is apparently quite Haunter weak! I probably should have kept Rotom-S's Scarf from the beginning but crippling Lanturn was nice for late game so I guess it's up to speculation. There was a little hax on my side and a little on his, but ultimately great plays on both sides. Hope you get involved with the community more bud, I like good players who can make intelligent reads ;)
Haha it was a really nice battle! I wasn't expecting the roost read on my archeops since primape was you way of winning but really well done. (I also hope to get more involved in the community) Thanks for the battle =].

Last edited:
How to beat Orphic: Sweep. :D http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-259172115

EDIT: Bolts made me to describe this more so it was an official tourney match against Orphic in round 2. And the sweep was made possible by having marowak get baton passed as much speed as possible and then deal major blows with its adamant 568 attack stat. I also have vileplume for physical walls, and xatu to keep hazards away and sa´carfed kabutops to avenge stuff.

EDIT: Bolts didnt make me to do this. Also scarfed*

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-283815192

Here's a pretty solid match I had versus Pokedots earlier using metaphysical's normal spam team showcasing the effectiveness of offensive as a playstyle in general. This game displayed how effective Kangaskhan is versus opposing offensive builds, especially sash offense, and how strong the combination of Kangaskhan + Swellow is (Tauros only had one appearance late game but it is still a great part of the normal spam core).

On turn 8 I decided to be ballsy and switch in Swellow on a predicted Lovely Kiss in order to get off a Sleep Talk, fully knowingly that I could have thrown the game if he Ice Beamed. Thankfully making the risk managed to pay off in the end, as it allowed me to gain a ton of offensive momentum and allowed Swellow to put in a ton of work versus his team. Later on, I managed to pull off a similar play on turn 17 when I predicted him to continue going for Nasty Plot to avoid Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, which also worked out in the end.

I somehow managed to win without getting up stealth rock once, so thats something haha

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-346700065

An interesting game I played against carcy. I thought if I wanted to post I better do so now seeing as the suspect is over.

My stall team seems to have a reasonably good matchup against his/her balanced team although I don't have any clear strategy as Xatu prevents my hazards and my status can be ineffective against his cleric. I think he predicts my lead properly but his Scald doesn't burn me while I get a luck Dragon Breath paralysis so everything is going okay, Pelipper poison aside.

Still as I said before my lack plan becomes clear and my opponent has a clear advantage by turn 16 as I am unable to get hazards up but he does. However I do learn some of his sets which is valuable such as Water Absorb Lantrn and his Audino doesn't seem to want to keep Regenrator which is good for me.

I end up letting Sligoo die to relieve some pressure on my team in turn 21, getting off a Defog temporarily. Gourgeist still counters most sceptile sets. Perhaps this idea was a mistake though but I thought it was necessary.

As I find out later (could have done it earlier but too lazy to calc) that his Lanturn is offensive, I am pretty pleased since that means it's easier to chip down and it may not have Heal Bell. My lucky prediction on turn 33 with Volt Switch is essential in relieving pressure again.

CM Xatu doesn't scare me in turn 42 since I have Punishment Miltank but Carcy seems to make a very bad blunder here letting Lanturn die for no reason when Steelix counters Miltank perfectly. He probably thinks Xatu can sweep and was scouting my Miltank set for the last move but it really doesn't work out for him and I think I have an advantage after Xatu gets paralyzed, but I don't know his sceptile set so it's not entirely clear for me.

I finally get SR on turn 67 so I do think I have an advantage at this point. His bringing out Audino is likely a mistake since again it allows me to relieve some pressure withMiltank's cleric duties.

I am pleased to see Steelix die on turn 87 but this was a mistake on my part, I should keep my own healthy to anticipate a physical Sceptile set.

Not having foul play really costs me on turn 87 as Sceptile begins its assault on my team, which for some reason I didn't think about. Actually this was obvious from team preview since it would have show Sceptile was itemless but I wasn't paying attention.

Quagmire surprisingly lives a hit so I should have sent it out after Miltank died hoping for a scald burn, but it's just too little at this point and I end up getting dominated by Sceptile.

These are my brief thoughts on a fun game, I was too overconfident but it does show how important it is to have a plan in this game and how important it is to anticipate your opponents plans, if I saw SD Sceptile coming I probably would have taken more measures to stop the sweep. Thanks for the game Carcy I hope you don't mind too much me posting.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-346700065

An interesting game I played against carcy. I thought if I wanted to post I better do so now seeing as the suspect is over.

My stall team seems to have a reasonably good matchup against his/her balanced team although I don't have any clear strategy as Xatu prevents my hazards and my status can be ineffective against his cleric. I think he predicts my lead properly but his Scald doesn't burn me while I get a luck Dragon Breath paralysis so everything is going okay, Pelipper poison aside.

Still as I said before my lack plan becomes clear and my opponent has a clear advantage by turn 16 as I am unable to get hazards up but he does. However I do learn some of his sets which is valuable such as Water Absorb Lantrn and his Audino doesn't seem to want to keep Regenrator which is good for me.

I end up letting Sligoo die to relieve some pressure on my team in turn 21, getting off a Defog temporarily. Gourgeist still counters most sceptile sets. Perhaps this idea was a mistake though but I thought it was necessary.

As I find out later (could have done it earlier but too lazy to calc) that his Lanturn is offensive, I am pretty pleased since that means it's easier to chip down and it may not have Heal Bell. My lucky prediction on turn 33 with Volt Switch is essential in relieving pressure again.

CM Xatu doesn't scare me in turn 42 since I have Punishment Miltank but Carcy seems to make a very bad blunder here letting Lanturn die for no reason when Steelix counters Miltank perfectly. He probably thinks Xatu can sweep and was scouting my Miltank set for the last move but it really doesn't work out for him and I think I have an advantage after Xatu gets paralyzed, but I don't know his sceptile set so it's not entirely clear for me.

I finally get SR on turn 67 so I do think I have an advantage at this point. His bringing out Audino is likely a mistake since again it allows me to relieve some pressure withMiltank's cleric duties.

I am pleased to see Steelix die on turn 87 but this was a mistake on my part, I should keep my own healthy to anticipate a physical Sceptile set.

Not having foul play really costs me on turn 87 as Sceptile begins its assault on my team, which for some reason I didn't think about. Actually this was obvious from team preview since it would have show Sceptile was itemless but I wasn't paying attention.

Quagmire surprisingly lives a hit so I should have sent it out after Miltank died hoping for a scald burn, but it's just too little at this point and I end up getting dominated by Sceptile.

These are my brief thoughts on a fun game, I was too overconfident but it does show how important it is to have a plan in this game and how important it is to anticipate your opponents plans, if I saw SD Sceptile coming I probably would have taken more measures to stop the sweep. Thanks for the game Carcy I hope you don't mind too much me posting.
Hey hilarious, that was really a fun game. I just wanted to comment on a few things for anyone interested:

Firstly, this was originally a team Davon posted in the teambuilding competition thread. I changed some sets, but before I say something about the team and this game, I have to give him credit because the team was really solid and fun to use.
Anyway, I don't plan on going in-depth because hilarious analysed the game extremely well. I used Water Absorb Lanturn because nothing on the team appreciated getting burned and chipped away and it paid off in this game. Also, when Sliggoo got knocked out, I noticed Specs Lanturn had much more use against his team, but I played it poorly and impatiently which caused me to lose it too early and really set me back.

At that point, I felt like I had only one way of winning, especially since Punishment Miltank checked Xatu pretty well, but I needed Steelix severely weakened. I noticed he decided to let it get whittled down, which was great, but I thought I could only SD on his Quag (and pray he doesn't burn me), and there was no way he was bringing it in. That SD on Gourgeist was a last ditch effort, because if he had decided to Will-O-Wisp there, I would have lost. Also, the crit on Miltank helped a lot because Leaf Blade was a roll highly in his favor iirc.

Matchup-wise, I think I had a slight advantage because CM Xatu does very well against stall teams, but his Miltank kept it in check.

To sum up, this was a very fun game and I think I learned a lot from it. Hilarious, I'm sorry I got a bit lucky in the end, but it really was a pleasure to play against you, you're a very good player and a good sport.

Had a great match this morning where a Pokémon not commonly seen in NU (Torterra) saved my game for me when all seemed lost. Honestly, Torterra is so underrated, its Rock Polish set is a great late game sweeper and thanks to STAB Wood Hammer it can smash through Pokémon Rhydon never could like Quagsire. With a Jolly nature it also outruns Scarf Rotom-A, another niche it has over Rhydon.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-368787944

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Really close tournament finals with Shadestep, thought I had the advantage earlier on but encountering some dank sets really put me in a bad spot. :p

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-378956917
This is a really interesting game that I have a lot of comments about so I feel like analysing the whole game :)

Both lead choices were correct imo, erisia seeing his opponents hazard weakness and shadestep knowing magmortar beats 5/6 members. Erisia appears to have the matchup for me, Kanga seems to threaten a lot with Fake Out in this matchup, hitting a lot neutrally and pressuring the entire team, but I don't think erisia utilises this nearly enough as I'll say later.

Turn 2 was interesting, I believe Shadestep was trying to predict Hariyama and get his rocks up, while erisia just knew he could tank one Fire Blast and get damage on Magmortar as it was such a threat to his team, prioritising this over hazards initially, as well as having guts yama and wanting to not reveal that straight away by taking too much from a Fire Blast.

The next few turns were pretty routine, hazard stack from erisia while rotom comes in and burns and shadow balls the garb. I can fully understand erisia's mentality letting garb get burned, it's only really important in this matchup to stack hazards, believing shade has no removal. Shadestep is playing optimally to keep the hazard stack to a minimum while not risking a gunk shot if he goes into his Swellow too early.

Hariyama comes out and takes a wisp allowing it to fire off a guts knock off. This is important as it weakens one of the mons capable of taking a heavy slam from Aggron, as well as putting it in Ice Shard range. Shadestep still playing pretty optimally at this point, I would argue, no reason to expect guts. Seeing that he has no Hariyama switchins at this point, he makes the correct play of just trying to get damage on it with another shadow ball, since Yama is at -1, and going down to a knock off, this turn was well played as well.

Swellow comes out and I think erisia knows he can fire off a CC later vs Regirock so opts to save yama and the Swellow has fucking defog! The match was in erisias favour with the hazards but at this point Shadestep made a fantastic play. Head smash miss vs incoming Regirock sucked, erisia makes the good play of going back to yama, knowing he needs Aggron to threaten Swellow and that yama can fire off a cc, Shade also makes the optimal play here, attempting to hit the Hariyama on switch to the point where it will go down to burn, this doesn't happen and erisia can fire off a cc, but shade still made the right play imo.

Shade sacks regi, understandable, and this is where I believe erisia starts to misplay a load. Shadesteps remaining mons are all hit hard by Kangaskans fake out, and it can take hits from all of them, and I believe this was a great chance to get in and start pressuring mons with it's priority, vs Swellow it could simply double edge and get a kill, but Abomasnow comes out and, wanting to save it to check Lanturn, erisia is forced to switch into Aggron, Shadestep again playing optimally and clicking the heat wave, the more damage he gets on Aggron at this point, the better. Shadestep sacks Lanturn, while not favourable, there really was no other option (idk if it took a head smash without the crit, idk his spread xd).

The next turn was also optimal for both players, giga drain from Lilligant while erisia sacks garb, garb is useless now and erisia needs Aggron as health as possible (think someone said heat wave was a roll). At this point erisia goes into Rotom, I'm not 100% sure why. This is another example where Kangaskhan threatens with it's fake out: 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lilligant: 88-105 (31.3 - 37.3%) -- 82.3% chance to 3HKO which would leave Lilligant on around 60%. At this point, ice shard from Abomasnow would kill Lilligant as long as erisia doesn't let it giga drain up, such as by going right out into Abomasnow on the drain or sleep powder. Instead erisia messes around trying to 1v1 it with Rotom and then kills it with ice shard into fake out, same as I suggested already. Shadestep sacks his Magmortar knowing the damage from double edge puts Kanga in boomburst range.

Here I believe erisia really choked. All he has to do is sack Rotom, fake out with Kanga, sack Aggron, fake out with Kanga, and sucker punch 8 times and win. Now, if erisia didn't have sucker punch, then Shadestep has to be given credit for playing this game out perfectly in my opinion. If erisia did have sucker punch, then he set the game up in his favour and then decided to just lose instead. I'd like to know if erisia had sucker punch, so if he did, it would have come down to sucker punch mind games, overall erisia certainly didn't utilise his Kangaskhan enough for my liking, but great game.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-379388608
vs

This was an official NU Roomtour finals between me and Advantage . I brought a squad that I've built recently and have had a lot of success with, and Advantage brought a really cool team too with some less common Pokemon in Muk and Bronzor. From the beginning I noticed that his Muk and Hariyama were major threats, as I only really have Rhydon for the former, and a SDef Garbodor for the latter. My Charizard was looking like a big threat to his team. I'm not sure if tennis payed attention to team preview to look if my Charizard had an item or not (I can't blame him if he didn't, I always forget too), but figuring out your opponents Charizard set is a tough task especially when it can hit all the Pokemon on Advantage's team for significant damage, seeing as with SR up, the Pelipper is 2HKOd by Scarf Air Slash, unless his EV set is extremely shifted towards SDef. My only hazard removal is Mantine, which is pressured by his team a lot. Getting off Defogs for Abomasnow and Charizard will be tough and I will have to do anything in my power to prevent them from going up and getting as many opportunities as possible to get them off the field.

I think I should have definitely played a bit more aggresive in the beginning of the battle. I was a bit nervous since I wasn't comfortable with Bronzor; I wasn't sure what it did or could do. The turn 1 burn on Abomasnow is unfortunate but not impossible to overcome. I should have definitely doubled out to Charizard here to prevent the SR from going up and to force the Bronzor out. I think at turn 4, even though I caught his Pelipper on the switch with an Air Slash, had the upperhand here. He was an offensive Pelipper, and he realised I was most likely Choice Scarf, looking at the damage the Air Slash did.

I attempt to sacrifice off my Abomasnow but end up getting off one final blow and weaken the Hariyama a bit, which is great, as it is now in Rock Climb range from Tauros.. or so I thought. I definitely should have calced this because it was a 50% chance to kill, where Zen Headbutt was both more accurate, and secured an OHKO.

The next couple of turns I get a bit lucky by dodging two Hurricanes, allowing me to kill off the Pelipper and get off a Defog with my Mantine, which definitely kept me in the game for longer than I should have.

From turn 15 off, things get a bit more interesting in my opinion. I don't know if it would classify as the 'end-game'-stage of the game already, but it was definitely the most tense part of the battle and I think it's what makes this a good battle to showcase I feel.

Turn 16
used Fire Blast!
The opposing Muk lost 40% of its health!

The opposing
used Gunk Shot!
Charizard lost 86% of its health!

This was a pretty huge turn but I don't know if i can blame myself for staying in. My Charizard getting all the way down to 2% was huge obviously, as now the Lilligant is a much bigger threat. I switch in my Rhydon on the predicted Gunk Shot and then double back into Charizard, baiting in either the Bronzor or the Lilligant, which works out. Bronzor goes down and Muk comes back in. My Rhydon doesn't pack Megahorn and Advantage definitely gets me here on turn 22. From here on I have to sack my Rhydon and have to either hit 2 Fire Blasts and crit one of them, or hit a bunch of Air Slashes and flinch two of them. I was scared to miss Fire Blast and honestly, completely forgot about Blaze, but I'm not sure if it mattered in the end really, it kind-of came down to odds that weren't really in my favor anyways.

Very well played Advantage, thanks for the fun battle!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-385198366
Really cool game I had vs Blast testing an arbok team I made with Adaire. Despite me having nothing for shiftry the matchup seemed pretty even since he didn't really have much for my shiftry either however some early hydro misses allowing him to get up two layers of spikes really set me back. From there I was forced to play pretty aggressively and utilizing my SD shiftry to break some holes I was able to crawl my way back into it thanks to scarf healing wish lilligant into floatzel bringing the game down to a 50/50 with sucker, thankfully blast was generous enough to tell me what he was going to do :D

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-394415710

fantastic game i had on suspect ladder. sub plot jynx woulda just straight up beat me but some really careful play with early bird shiftry saved me. got an insta-wake where i would have still lost if he'd have subbed instead of going for ice beam. late game was really close too. i ended up playing to win with my tricked specs gastrodon that i knew could clean because it was offensive, and it barely worked out for me in the end. once rotom was down though i knew a burn on skunk guaranteed me the win. small thing but i scalded at the end instead of earth power because i saw he didn't have lefties and might have styled on me with shuca.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)