SM OU THE PO SHOW

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE PO SHOW

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Index:
  • Introduction
  • Team preview
  • Teambuilding process
  • In-depth analysis
  • Threat list
  • Replays
  • Importable of the team
...........................................................................................................................................................
INTRODUCTION
Hola everyone, it's Posho here with a new RMT, this time around I'll be showcasing what I consider one of my most successful teams in the Sun&Moon Overused tier. This is the team I brought against Kickasser for the semifinal round of the Smogon Tour 23 and it worked out perfectly, I believe this is also the first team that showcased Mega Tyranitar in a tournament, as it had recently been released and thanks to Ben Gay and Alexander's match being delayed, I was allowed to use it in that round. However, the metagame is going through some changes thanks to some megas being released, making some teams even less solid with some of those threats around, so I feel I'm going to retire this team here, since I already feel it's done its work and I couldn't be prouder about it... Without further ado I introduce you to THE PO SHOW.

TEAM PREVIEW

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS
So, Mega Tyranitar had recently came out, and I was looking for ways to utilize it to its full potential, thanks to the new mechanics, stopping it from setting up would be more difficult than it was in ORAS, prankster as it is unaffected by Prankster Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp, with priorities moves such as Mach Punch, Aqua Jet or Bullet Punch being able to prevent it from sweeping the opposing team, I decided that I'd start off my team with the
core. Tapu Lele allows me to set up Psychic Terrain and thus that makes Tyranitar immune to any priority, making it a huge threat if the terrain is up. Then I added
to the mix, I felt it'd fit quite well along with this core, it doesn't have many way to stop some fast Ground types such as Garchomp with Choice Scarf or even Zygarde can be a huge issue for the core itself, so having it around for those and also as my Water resist was something I appreciated. The team lacked rocks, and a way to switch into threats such as Mega Heracross, mon that had been released recently and was a huge threat to the team thus far, so
came on board, mon that pivot on some common physical threats and also provides some momentom in the form of U-Turn, making my two primary attackers more dangerous for opposing teams. I felt there was a lack of Steel types, and also there wasn't any Water type so I was trying to add them with the last two slots, I was also running out of a hazard removal and something that could check some special attackers such as Tapu Lele or Volcarona, so the first thing that came across my mind was
, this mon fit perfect for the role, also providing me some counter for Knock Off-less Mew. Lastly, I felt the remaining slot on the team was a bit free, but yet I had to pick it carefully, I decided that my choice would be adding some sort of stallbreaker, and what better mon that can fullfil this duty than
himself, I was also lacking a Z move user, so it was perfect, I had regular Kyurem at first but I found myself having troubles with stall teams, as I could not break through Toxapex mainly.

IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS

One of the most recent additions to the metagame, Mega Tyranitar performs an excellent role as a sweeper, it is extremely bulky, even though I'm not packing any bulk at all, it is able to eat some hits, mainly Volcarona's Bug Buzz or Giga Drain, and some other sweepers' attacks which allow it to get easy opportunities to set up with Dragon Dance, move that allows it to reach 397 speed points with a Jolly nature, and thus you can outspeed and defeat threats such as Tapu Koko and Non-Ash Greninja, but also threatening the opposing team with getting swept if they do not carry an appropiate answer, namely, some ground types such as Hippowdon or Gastrodon. Its coverage is quite simple, Stone Edge is the main stab move, though, it's probably gonna be the move that you use the least, as Ice Punch can OHKO most flying types, but having it around is nice so you can defeat some threats in certain situations with such powerful move. Ice Punch is mainly for threats such as Zygarde, Landorus or Garchomp and some other flying types that require me not to use Stone Edge, such as Mega Pinsir or Hawlucha. With Earthquake, we complete the so called EdgeQuake core, mainly for some common Steel types such as Heatran, which is getting an increased usage lately with the so famous Substitute set they use and also Jirachi.
Some calcs of interest:
252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 174-206 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 258-306 (75.6 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 98-116 (28.7 - 34%) -- 0.8% chance to 3HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 144-170 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 272-324 (79.7 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 284-336 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 424-500 (132.9 - 156.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 312-368 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tyranitar-Mega Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 496-588 (138.5 - 164.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There isn't much mystery about this mon, Tapu Lele is my main revenge killer, mainly for the likes of Mega Pinsir, as it is unaffected by its Quick Attack while Psychic Terrain is up and this also goes for Greninja's Water Shuriken, but the later isn't an issue at all while Tangrowth and Empoleon are on the team. Lele can also act as my late game cleaner, while Empoleon deliberately throws Scald and Toxic and Tangrowth Knocks Off opposing mons with leftovers they can easily set it up along with Stealth Rocks for Tapu Lele to finish up the opposing team, truly a terrifying mon. Its ev spread is to make it as fast as possible with Choice Scarf and Max SpA so Lele can hit quite hard even if it's not packing any item that boosts its SpA. The moveset is quite simple, Psychic and Moonblast are my stab moves that I can easily spam depening on the circumstances, you're most likely to spam Psychic if the opposing team doesn't pack any Dark type, otherwise, you'd have to play it carefully. The third moveslot would be Focus Blast for Heatran mostly, but you have the choice of switching it into Psyshock as mons such as Charizard Y and Volcarona can be quite dangerous for the team, your choice. And lastly Hp Fire for coverage, mainly for Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Some calcs of interest:
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona in Psychic Terrain: 280-330 (90 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 232 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 248-294 (65 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y in Psychic Terrain: 240-283 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir-Mega in Psychic Terrain: 241-285 (88.9 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

One of the stars of the team, Empoleon performs quite a unique role in this team, it's my main hazard removal and also a really good specially defensive wall, allowing me to check some mons that threaten my team constantly, namely, Tapu Lele, Mew, Volcarona, Greninja and so forth. The ev spread is very simple, this Empoleon does not have any other duty besides tanking as many special hits as possible, hence why I'm running max HP and max SpD on it, this way it is able to stomach some of the hits from the mons mentioned before. First we have Defog, the main duty of this mon is to remove hazards, the issue is that, most Stealth Rockers in OU are ground types, and so it will not be able to come in on them and try to remove the hazards, it will most likely do it once it gets a free turn, since they're not gonna switch into a potential Scald unless they're greedy enough and predict your move, Toxic is mainly to cripple some mons, mainly Mew and some other annoying walls such as Zapdos or Gastrodon, then Scald, we know what does this move do, it's my stab move and it can get some useful burns in some threats, which I always appreciate and lastly Roar as I don't want my Empoleon to be a Set-up fodder for the likes of Clefable or Volcarona, mainly.

Some calcs of interest:
252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 133-157 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- 91.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 198-234 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 331-391 (89.2 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon in Psychic Terrain: 118-139 (31.8 - 37.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 296-350 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tangrowth's main roll in this team is basically to be my pivot as Regenerator and Assault vest give it plenty of chances to switch into some threats such as Zygarde, Greninja and Keldeo, thanks to its item and Ev spread it's able to resist some Super Effective moves such as Heatran's Magma Storm and Earthquake it back. Firstly, Giga Drain is my stab move and also pairs up well with its ability as it's able to gain even more HP on the switch, Knock Off, second best move in the game, helps me removing some crucial items, mostly Leftovers or Chansey's Eviolite, Earthquake is so I hit Heatran super effectively and lastly HP Fire for mainly Ferrothorn, it used to have HP ice but then I found out Ferrothorn is quite difficult to deal with, thus I replaced that move.
Some calcs of interest:
32 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 204-240 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 272-324 (71.3 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 120-142 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 22.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 160-189 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Landorus is my main physical wall and check to some huge threats in the tier such as Mega Heracross, Zard x and Band Zygarde, thanks to Intimidate it's able to switch into most of those, it's also my main form of getting hazards up getting chip damage and pressuring the opposing team, which is quite valuable. With an Impish nature and Max HP and Defense, I can use Landorus' defense to its max extent, making it easier to switch into the previously mentioned threats. Earthquake is my main stab and mandatory move, Stealth Rock is another mandatory move, as I mentioned before, it helps me get crucial chip damage against other teams, making my main sweepers quite the threat for the opposing team, U-Turn is the move that helps getting momentum and HP ice is so I can able to threaten Zygarde mainly and opposing Landorus as well, since some people like using offensive versions of it with Z move.
Some calcs of interest:
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 103-123 (27 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0- SpA Landorus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 172-204 (48 - 56.9%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 270-318 (70.8 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 105-125 (27.5 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 132-156 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The absolute beast of the team, and my main answer to stall-ish teams, Kyurem Black can do tons of damage with its Z move, which is Subzero Slammer, which comes from Freeze Shock, meaning that most mons that don't resist Ice will get most likely OHKO'd or even, the ones who resist it receive a good chunk from it. It's packing a Max Atk nature with a favorable nature so it's able to do all the possible damage to opposing mons, namely Mew, Ferrothorn and Chansey, the former though, can be packing enough speed to outspeed us, so be careful with that. Simple moveset as well, Freeze Shock along with Icium Z, as previously mentioned, deal tons of damage to opposing teams, however, the move itself isn't quite useful in any situation that I can recall, so try not to use it recklessly, or else you may find yourself in a bad spot, Dragon Claw is also stab, useful so you can OHKO Latios for example, as Ice Beam cannot, Fusion Bolt is for coverage, mainly for Water types such as Tapu Fini or Slowbro and Ice Beam so I can have a secondary and reliable Ice Move to use.

Some calcs of interest:
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 580-684 (82.5 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 152+ Def Mew: 345-406 (85.6 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 295-348 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 210-248 (70.2 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

THREAT LIST
  • Threat
  • Quite Dangerous
Mega Charizard Y: This mon can be potentially Dangerous, it threatens with OHKOing most of the team except for Empoleon, it can be pivoted around though, with Tyranitar and Tapu Lele.
Mega Medicham: This guy over here is a bit difficult to deal with if your opponent plays it well, Landorus tanks any atk and gives it some Rocky Helmet Damage, Tangrowth tanks 1 atk, but Landorus can help with intimidate and Tapu Lele revenge kills.

Mew: It's quite difficult to deal with this one, luckily almost none of them carry Knock Off anymore, or else it'd be a problem, Empoleon is my main check to it, or even Tangrowth at some points so I can knock off its Leftovers, praying for it not to be faster than Kyurem-B and destroying it with Z Freeze Shock is also an option, but generally it's a headache.
Tapu Lele: Lele is a bit difficult since I'm unaware of what coverage it could be running, guessing is my best weapon against it, you can sometimes deduce its set through the team preview, but some Z moves or even Specs Focus Blast are quite the surprise, so be careful.

Mega Camerupt: It's been recently released and it's not that common, but it had some usage during WCoP so it's worh mentioning, my team only has Tyranitar as its Fire resist, so it's a bit difficult to deal with this guy thanks to its so powerful Fire Blasts

Mega Heracross: Subsitutes can be a bit of a problem, since I only have Landorus T as my main switchin, and eventually, it will defeat you with Rock Blast and such if you don't play carefully.

Tapu Bulu: With the rising popularity of sets such as Z Wood Hammer, this guy can be quite a nuisance for the team, I try to always get Kyurem B against him for free beacuse otherwise it can set up and get some kills.

REPLAYS

IMPORTABLE OF THE TEAM

http://pokepast.es/8cfde6230c74255d
I hope you enjoy this team as much as I did, it's probably still solid enough to keep up with some changes in the metagame, but I don't intend to use it anymore in tournaments, so have fun with it :)
It's been quite a hard and difficult ride to get here and win Smogon Tour, and throughout the way, I met so many cool and nice people, shoutouts to the OLT, Bigs and LA chat, talking with you guys always involves plenty of fun to me, I couldn't be more grateful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)