Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Sorry about the double post.

I think I am going to start it now, but the final mon is still open.

Edit: Forgot about BICEP BEETLE the Pinsir, so that's my entire team.

Last edited:
After more than two years, Chapter 3 of my Black Scramble is up! Unfortunately, for some reason, this website has a newly imposed 65000-character limit, so subsequent updates will have to be in separate posts and linked in the OP.
July 24, 2014, 2:22 PM
With one heck of an annoyance in Burgh out of the way, it’s time to move on. Heading out of the Gym, I am greeted by the Xtransceiver tone. Ah, Bianca wants to challenge me at Route 4. Well, let me prepare for that. Perhaps I will meet destruction at the hands of Servine (I can’t wait for Doriru to evolve), but I’ll be ready once I heal up and refill my supply of Lemonades. Okay, time to battle. Thankfully, Bianca now knows how to be extra careful around things like electric billboards.

Okay, Servine was an easy kill. It missed Leech Seed (but I missed Fury Swipes), then it kept going for Growth while I Rock Smashed it to death (thank you based Defense drops). Also, FireFight defeated Panpour, Amnesia defeated Munna, and Jolt defeated Herdier. It was a good battle, especially considering every ‘mon had its time in the spotlight. It was a legit 4v4. Venturing further into Route 4, I encounter Cheren. Hey, look, another rival battle. Unlike Bianca, who warned me about our battle, Cheren just turns around right once I approach his periphery. Maybe this battle will go better because Cheren has no Grass-types.

No judgement on this one. Amnesia defeated 3 of his team members with the help of 4 Lemonades (coin flip said FireFight didn’t have to solo Pansear) while FireFight defeated Dewott (which was somehow slower...I mean, it’s a three-level difference, but really?) with no problem. After the battle, the Xtransceiver rang once again. This time, it was Juniper telling us to make our way to Nimbasa. I would have done it without her calling me about it, but oh well. At any rate, it’s time to explore Route 4 some more (hey, nice assonance there).

Before heading to Nimbasa, I decide to take a detour to Desert Resort. There, I meet a nice Doctor and his Solosis. Said Solosis is easily beaten thanks to Amnesia’s critical and confusing Water Pulse. After the battle, two scrolls appear out of thin air. I read them as quickly as I can.

“Get Jack the (male) Maractus.
Now, Cactus Jack was once defeated by a crocodile of some variety. As such, he must fight any Sandile (And their evolutions) whenever able. He also must eventually take down Grimsley's Krookodile alone.
However, Jack can only use Physical attacks, with the sole exception of Petal Dance. To be able to learn Petal Dante though, he must first achieve the highest rating at the largely disliked Pokemon Musical. ("In this musical, it's not an overstatement to say that *insert name here*'s Pokémon was the lead role.")
--Roadagain”

Solid the Dwebble.
Solid wants to be the best wall ever. He already has a good ability for a wall: Sturdy. As such, when you catch him, he HAS to have sturdy.
The first part of being a good wall is to help support your teammates, so Solid needs to have at least one support move(Stealth Rock, Toxic, Sandstorm, and if you can trade him to White 2 for tutor moves, Block and Knock Off)
He is also aware of his species' status as Shell Smash sweepers, and as a wall, he wants to protect his teammates, so he has to learn Shell Smash and use it to defeat any opposing pokemon that are at a higher level than him.

Any questions, PM me. Good luck!--Itsame”

For the first time since Chapter 1, I get to capture new Pokémon! It took me 2 tries to get a Sturdy Dwebble (it has to have Sturdy; it says so in the original post). Serious nature...eh, could be worse. As a bonus, it came with a Hard Stone, not that that matters. Problem: I don’t have a support move for it yet. In the near future, I will trade it to White 2 so I can teach it Block (as a placeholder for Stealth Rock more than anything; Knock Off would take too long since I don’t have any Yellow Shards, and Toxic cannot be obtained until I can Surf). At any rate, all that’s left is male Maractus. Not a hard find; only had to go through two Sandile (coincidentally) to find it. Bashful nature, Water Absorb...I can definitely live with that. Unfortunately, it’s limited to physical attacks, so it’s Pin Missile spam until Level 22. It’s fine to an extent, though, because it does a sizable chunk to all the Sandile it has to solo.

With those Pokémon caught, that means I have all six! I suppose I’ll head to Nimbasa so I have a more local PC to use than Castelia’s (I ran all the way there to release the Shell Armor Dwebble I caught, even though I had Fly...haha, too used to randomizer). On the way, I encounter Juniper, who gives Cheren and me some Ultra Balls and prattles on about completing the Pokédex, and some Plasma idiots who were trying to steal the Day-Care Man’s Pokémon. I fought one Grunt, whose Watchog was quite an annoyance (stupid Hypnosis) and whose Trubbish was nothing, and sent the duo of Grunts running. (What about the other one? Did he just not have the will to fight?) As a reward for saving the Day-Care Man, I got a Bicycle! Afterwards, Bianca gives me a list of things to do, but first and foremost, I must go back to the Pokémon Center to heal my Pokémon, teach Block to Solid thanks to White 2, and take a break.

July 24, 2014, 6:35 PM
Before I continue fighting Trainers in Desert Resort, I feel like taking care of Jack’s Petal Dance restriction. Off to the *shudder* Musical Hall! And who other than Bianca is waiting for me at the entrance. As we enter, some old man gives us one Prop Case each, and forces me to dress Jack. Apparently, he’s not dancing yet. Soon, though. After Bianca leaves, I find this pretty lady in the corner, talk to her, and get a TM of Echoed Voice (even though I may not need it). Everyone else I talk to gives me nothing, so I guess it’s time.

Okay, I got the required message ("In this musical, it's not an overstatement to say that Myga's Pokémon was the lead role.") on my 3rd try. Admittedly, I had to look on Bulbapedia and find the right accessories to use for Sweet Soirée (that is, Elegant accessories like Square Glasses, Top Hat, Cane, Bowtie, and Tie), but I still did it. (Also, I thought it reasonable to save the Cane appeal for when the spotlight was on Jack only.) Now Jack can learn Petal Dance whenever he’s ready.

Now back to the Desert Res...oh, wait, not yet. Bianca’s arguing with her worrywart dad and, someway through the conversation, Elesa steps in and settles the matter, eventually getting Bianca’s dad to agree to let her daughter travel. After this father-daughter (plus Elesa) moment with emotional music in the background, Elesa tells us (well, I don’t know so much about Bianca) to challenge her Gym whenever we’re ready. The problem is that I am not ready. I have not fully explored Desert Resort or any of Route 5 or Route 16 (or the ferris wheel, for that matter), so I will take care of those first, starting with Desert Resort.

After four Trainer battles (Kelsey, Gave Newell Gaven, Mylene, and Liz), I found a pair of BlackGlasses lying around, which I find an opportunity to post this image again:

As for the experience as a whole, I managed to get Needle Arm for Jack and Rock Tomb for Doriru (better than Fury Swipes, I guess). FireFight and Solid can also learn Rock Tomb, but Solid already has Smack Down, and FireFight is okay with his two STAB moves. (Okay, it may be helpful on FireFight for dealing with Fire-types, but my point still stands.)

Next destination: Route 16 (and Lostlorn Forest). I realize I forgot Relic Castle, but I’m sure I’ll visit it later (foreshadowing), so it’s all right. Overall experience: No real struggle. Jack kicks butt now, especially when Needle Arm flinches, and Jolt took care of the Cyclist Hector’s duo of Whirlipede as if it were nothing. Also, Lostlorn Forest was...grab a Big Mushroom, get out.

Last route to take care of: Route 5. Like Relic Castle, I will be revisiting it, but I feel it’s better to get the miscellaneous things out of the way now than to have to worry about them later. Overall experience: USE WHIRLWIND ONE MORE TIME, YOU STUPID SIGILYPH. Other than that, everything went well. I taught Doriru Slash over Metal Claw (no reason to have Metal Claw with Rock Smash, especially because the Attack boost never freaking happens) and I might need to acquire an Everstone because Amnesia has started trying to evolve. I shall do that immediately (by catching Roggenrola) and then I’ll call it a day. (The 4th Roggenrola had an Everstone.)

July 26, 2014, 2:00 PM
Next order of business: see what’s happening down at the ferris wheel. I enter the southeast gate of Nimbasa and stumble upon none other than N. He notices me immediately and brings me over to the amusement park, knowing that I was searching for Team Plasma there. They seem to be nowhere visible, so N suggests the idea of riding the ferris wheel for a different view. Oddly, though, he only claimed to help me; he actually said during the ride that he was the king of Team Plasma. And, surely enough, as we depart from the ride, two Plasma Grunts appear. Now, N forces us into a battle so that the Grunts can flee without worry (or can they...?). Unfortunately, I was ill-prepared and did not expect the Sandile lead, so, right off the bat, I must switch from Solid to Jack.

The rest of the battle...well, everything went flawlessly except for the stupid Sigilyph. Both Solid and Amnesia succumbed to its sheer power, bulk, and speed. Fortunately, when Tailwind died, Jolt finished the job. After the battle, N provides me with a healthy bit of foreshadowing: he vows to take on the Pokémon League and rule with an iron fist and invites me to try and stop him with conviction or something like that. Then, as he departs, I find a vending machine right nearby, so I decide to pack more Lemonade, just in case.

Now, after a quick heal, it’s time to challenge the Gym! I talk to the sunglasses guy to get my usual Fresh Water and I’m taken through a sequence of roller coaster rides and Trainers. It figures that right from the get-go I have to deal with stupid Double Teaming shenanigans. There is a good reason why evasion is ban-worthy. Thankfully, though, since there are no required solos in this Gym, anything goes.

Aside from the hax with paralysis and evasion, battling the Gym Trainers went off without a hitch. I don’t have to do much in preparation for the Gym Leader, seeing as I have 30+ Lemonade, but I decide to raise my Paralyz Heal stock up to 5, just in case. I can only imagine what the Gym Leader will be like, but my main plan is to get up Stealth Rock (with Solid, who learned it just recently) to limit how much Elesa’s Pokémon can Volt Switch (because I know from prior experience that Volt Switch is a key component to Elesa’s battling strategy).

November 17, 2016, 3:45 AM
Holy crap, to think it’s actually been more than two years since the last time I touched this Scramble. But hey, like I said before, I have the inexplicable power to move through time while my surroundings stay still. If you’re wondering why I’m awake at such an odd hour, it’s because I was especially sleep-deprived last night and had a nap at roughly 10 PM (and woke up roughly half past 1 AM), and I saw fit to wait until a later hour for external silence and dark surroundings, the perfect conditions for recording the Elesa battle. I don’t know why I was so reluctant to pick this Scramble back up at first, but now I feel like finishing before Christmas, which I hope to be the time of obtaining Sun/Moon (I’m not telling which). But anyway, let’s move on to the Gym Leader battle already.

I'll say in advance: Sorry that I may be difficult to hear in the recording; it was late night at the time and I naturally had to keep my voice down. (There's also the issue that I'm a quiet person in general.) Also, if the recording quality seems worse, that's because I had to get a 2DS due to the currently nigh unusable status of the 3DS that I used in prior recordings.

Solid vs. Emolga
Solid sets up Stealth Rock, Emolga uses Volt Switch and brings Solid down to low HP. What ensues next is a stally sequence of: me using Lemonade to heal Solid, and one Emolga Volt Switching into the other. However, when one Emolga had sustained three switch-ins of Stealth Rock, I mistakenly thought that Elesa was going to heal, so Solid succumbed to the next Volt Switch before it could Smack Down on the prediction.

Doriru vs. Emolga
Doriru took negligible damage from Pursuit (partly thanks to Eviolite) and retaliated with Rock Tomb for the KO.

Jolt vs. Emolga
Because the opposing Emolga was cut down to 1-3 HP, I had Jolt use Thunderbolt while Elesa actually healed (using a Hyper Potion). I knew that a second one would take out the Emolga, but I was too naïve to realize that Elesa had Zebstrika waiting in the wings and could easily switch that in to absorb the Electric attack.

Jolt vs. Zebstrika
Needless to say, I was left with no good choice but to switch out.

Doriru vs. Zebstrika
Zebstrika attempted to use Spark on the switch. With this matchup, I could have tried clicking Dig, but I figured that Elesa would play around that and bring in Emolga again, and I didn't feel like going down that route. What ensued next was a series of Quick Attacks and Flame Charges as I attacked with Rock Tomb (which I missed twice), Rock Smash, and eventually Slash to finish it off.

Jolt vs. Emolga
Emolga was at red HP, but Elesa presumably had no more healing items after having healed it and Zebstrika before. So, Emolga went for Aerial Ace, taking about 1/3 HP from Jolt, while Jolt used Thunderbolt for the KO.

After the battle, Elesa said she would open up the bridge past Route 5, so that will be the next destination. With that, until next time...and there will be a next time, and not with a hiatus period of two freaking years.

To be continued...

Post-Chapter Progress Report (The gang's all here!)

Amnesia the Wingull (Female, Lv. 25)
Serious, Keen Eye
- Water Pulse
- Quick Attack
- Fly (cannot be used in battle)
- Growl (to be replaced with Surf)

Again, not much has changed with this one, although I shudder to imagine hitting level 29, when I'll be replacing Water Pulse with Roost. It's all part of the fun, though.

Jack the Maractus (Male, Lv. 24)
Bashful, Water Absorb
- Needle Arm
- Pin Missile
- Synthesis
- Cotton Spore

Needle Arm didn't come soon enough, and I didn't get to do much with this guy. Using it against Elesa was out of the question, considering it's weak to Emolga's Flying STAB and Zebstrika's Flame Charge. (It could perhaps live one Flame Charge and retaliate with Needle Arm, but using Doriru is a much safer bet.)

Solid the Dwebble (Male, Lv. 24)
Serious, Sturdy
- Bug Bite
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish

This Pokémon did me a solid (bad pun) by setting up Stealth Rock against Elesa and taking hits while I stalled with Lemonade, but there isn't much worth noting other than that.

FireFight the Pignite (Male, Lv. 28)
Lonely, Blaze
- Tackle
- Rock Smash
- Ember
- Flame Charge

Though it is still strong and still my starter, I couldn't bring myself to use it against Elesa because of those darned Emolga.

Jolt the Joltik (Female, Lv. 28)
Naughty, Compoundeyes
- Thunderbolt
- Charge Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch

The mono-Electric bug is still a valuable asset to the team in both speed and power (mostly the latter), but the battle against Elesa made me realize that I should always be open to the possibility of the AI switching to a Ground-type or similar Electric absorber.

Doriru the Drilbur (Male, Lv. 27)
Mild, Sand Rush
- Dig
- Rock Tomb
- Rock Smash
- Slash

Doriru, I sincerely apologize for chastising you before. Even though you got very lucky against Bianca's Servine and missed Rock Tomb so much, just being a Ground-type is a huge benefit to the team, especially in dealing with Elesa who would be a humongous pain otherwise. I do still eagerly anticipate your imminent evolution, though.
EDIT: Well, I was planning on waiting until Christmas for Sun/Moon, but I suddenly felt like it would be a better idea to buy Sun before (American) Thanksgiving, so...yeah, guess I'll be occupied with that for a while.

Thank you for your challenges! My team so far:
- Shedinja
- Sandshrew (Shrewd)
- Chatot (Adele)
- Pineco (Time Bomb)
- Baby Teeth (Totodile)
- open

There's only one left to go! My team is currently lacking a strong attacker outside of Totodile, and to a lesser extent Sandshrew, so one would be appricieted :) Also, I might begin my challenge today, if I can finish my presentation in time.
I hope you don't mind the late timing of this challenge, but I present Warrior the Magby. This Magby is the sort that cannot properly enjoy a battle until it has physically damaged the opponent. So, for every battle in which it participates, Warrior must use a physical attack before using any other move. As another consequence of the warrior spirit within: For all "must switch out" restrictions of other Scramblemons, as long as Warrior draws breath (i.e., is not fainted), it must switch in for that Scramblemon. To evolve into Magmar, Warrior must have all attacking moves, at least two of which are physical, and this must remain the case for the rest of the challenge (although its attacks do not necessarily have to remain the same). To evolve into Magmortar, it must solo at least one of Clair's Pokémon. Furthermore, it must solo at least one Pokémon in every single Team Rocket and Elite Four battle (except Koga, who is already covered by Shedinja).

Last edited:
I think I will be temporally retiring from my challenge. I think there's a good chance I'll be getting Moon today, so I won't have time to do it (even though I only have 2 gyms left). I'll update again once I beat Moon.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Soul Silver Scramble Update 1!

And so it finally begins!
We first begin our little story with the character Scrambl (so much creativity). I first walk downstairs to find my mother, who give me all the stuff I need for now. I exit the house to find a useless Marill in my face, which is soon taken away by the female protagonist who name I cannot remember for the life of me. Lyra, that's it! As I enter the Lab, I get a lecture from Elm that I have heard so many times, I really don't care in the slightest.

Now I confronted with a very important decision that haunts me in every Pokemon game, and especially this scramble: which starter will I choose? After much thought an consideration, I decided to choose Chikorita, who shall hence be named Cyndaquil. While Johto will be absolute hell for it, not only will Kanto be a lot easier, but I have a specific plan that will work with the movesets of both. I will elaborate in further updates.

After retrieving my Pokegear from mother and getting Elm's number, I head out to Route 29. This is the place where I can catch KnockKnock, but I don't have Pokeballs yet. I continue along the route until I reach Cherrygrove and do some cardio with the old man. Shortly after, I'm onto Route 30, where I have to endure possibly the biggest annoyance so far: Weedles. After going through and endless supply of Antidotes and patience. I finally reach Mr. Pokemon's hou... no wait, that's the Apricorn Guy's house. Lets try that again. Once I do reach Mr. Pokemon's house, I am kindly given the Togepi Egg. This has no purpose other than the Everstone if I return it to Elm, which could be helpful for Unloved. Anyway's I grab the Pokedex from Oak, and am out of this place.

Once I'm about to leave Cherrygrove, I encounter an angry red-head (I know one personally), who just declares that he is better than me and that I'm weak. After beating him in a battle, he completely ignores the fact that he actually lost, and leaves. Remembering who he is, I run back to New Bark and, after false accusations, get to name the kid. Because of he world-renowned douchebaggery, which is only topped by Dicks Oak, I decide to named him Skcid, which is just the aformentioned's name backwards. Soon after, I am given a tutorial on how to catch pokemon for the nth time, and I go to catching my next member.

After a quick time change of the Dsi I'm using, I swiftly catch KnockKnock the Hoothoot! Because of the starter I chose, you will see him alot this chapter and the next one. After returning the time to normal, I move through the routes grinding KnockKnock and facing trainers, including Joey's top-percentage Rattata. Once I reach Violet City, I go to Sprout Tower to unlock Falkner's gym, while slaughtering every Bellsprout along the way.

This changes, however, when I face the Elder. This is actually really embarrasing, but I blacked out not once, but twice to this guy. The first time was entirely because I underestimated the damage that his Hoothoot did, and I could really fight back with Cyndaquil, since it kept getting of every single Hypnosis it executed. It was really close the first time, if I woke up during his Hypnosis, it would have finished him off, but alas. The second time was because off a stupider reason: I used up all of my potions and forgot to go back to the Pokemart. The Elder's Hoothoot also got off a crit on KnockKnock, so that worked out perfectly already. It was also a really, REALLY close battle, as the Hoothoot lived through KnockKnock's last Peck with only a sliver, but I lost either way. Finally, I was able to beat him with relative ease when I tried for the third time. Now its time for that gym solo.

After a bit of grinding and defeating the trainers there (and a ton of Poke-crastination), I was finally ready to face Falkner.

KnockKnock vs Pidgey
As soon as I got in there, I hit it with two Tackles and it went down.

KnockKnock vs Pidgeotto
The true test of the Scramble so far. Luckly, it wasn't super heavy on the Roost usage, so that really made it easier. It was really a battle of blows of its Tackle and my Peck, with me healing constantly with my supply of Potions. My chance occurred when I knocked it into the red, and it did not go for the Roost while I was healing. I took this opportunity and live through another Tackle to knock it out.

Mons:

Lv. 9
Cyndaquil
Brave Nature
Overgrow
-Tackle
-Growl
-Razor Leaf
-Poison Powder

While not super helpful this time around, it was my go to man against my Rival, and was used until I could get KnockKnock. It's gonna be a long road for this pokemon specifically, since it can only really use normal type moves until its final evolution.

Lv. 15
KnockKnock
Mild Nature
Keen Eye
-Tackle
-Peck
-Uproar
-Hypnosis

Right now, he is easily the most essential part of this play through, as he can fight almost everything. He will also remain an essential part until the end.

Note: I've realized I need someone who can surf, and currently no one on my team could possibly do that, might need to think about how this could be handled.

I'm probably going to be putting my X Scramble on hold for a bit...because I'm seriously considering doing one on Sun!

• Normal difficulty please. I found the game to be challenging enough as is, but I do want a bit more.
  • No Litten please. He's the only Alola starter I've used so far and I'd like to use a different one for this.
  • Legendaries are OK.
  • Be creative!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to offer! :-)

Asking for a Hard challange of Sun. However: nothing that comes after the last trial, and nothing that requires trading. Other than that, as long as you see the difference between "hard" and "impossible" anything should be fine.

Asking for a Hard challange of Sun. However: nothing that comes after the last trial, and nothing that requires trading. Other than that, as long as you see the difference between "hard" and "impossible" anything should be fine.
Take Gimmick the Pyukumuku. Gimmick really wants to be a powerful fighter, yet is disappointed by it's lack of offencive firepower. Therefore, it want's to try a variety of strategies to make opponents sweat. Gimmick is stubborn about which moves and items to use, and will only be able to use items and moves designated as rewards for each challenge listed below. Each challenge refers to a specific gimmick Gimmick must try in order to unlock new moves/items, and can be done in any order. Note that, for any challenge to count, the opposing pokemon must be an equal or higher level than Gimmick.

Challenge 1:
Knock out two pokemon with Innards Out. Rewards: Taunt, Counter, Confide, Fightinium Z.

Challenge 2:
Knock out three pokemon, each at least three levels stronger than Gimmick, with Counter. Rewards: Light Screen, Reflect.

Challenge 3:
Knock out three pokemon with a Z-Move. Rewards: Light Clay, Status curing berries.

Challenge 4: Using Light Screen and Reflect, help protect your teammates from ten attacks. Rewards: Safeguard, Helping Hand, Protect.

Challenge 5: Cause two pokemon to struggle to death. Rewards: Double Team, Attract, Hail.

Challenge 6: Win two double battles by using Helping Hand the whole time. Rewards: Gastro Acid, Curse, Psychic Z-Stone.

Challenge 7: Cripple a Totem Pokemon with stats moves enough so that another pokemon can solo it. Rewards: Purify, Rain Dance, Healing berries.

Challenge 8:
Use a weather effect to help your team in some way. Rewards: Rest, Sleep Talk, Double Team, Soak

Challenge 9: Defeat two pokemon while asleep. Rewards: Toxic, Ghostinium-Z

Challenge 10:
Have a opposing pokemon use Gastro Acid on you. Rewards: Toxic, Healing berries.

Challenge 11: Toxic stall five pokemon to death. Rewards: Pain Split, Normalium-Z

Challenge 12: Use Soak to set three enemies up for you to use super-effective attacks on. Rewards: Substitute, Poisinium-Z.

Challenge 13:
Solo Totem Mimikyu. Rewards: Baton Pass, Bide.

Challenge 14: Use Z-Purify Baton Pass to help a pokemon sweep an Elite 4 member. If you fail after beating said member, you do not need to redo the challenge. Rewards: All remaining moves/items.

You do not have to do all the challenges, yet they will help you gain new moves to use. By the end of the challenge, you must use Gimmick to solo four Elite 4/Champion pokemon on your winning run.

acidphoenix take Annoyance the Zubat. This Zubat wants nothing more than to be annoying, both to you and to its opponents. It also won't tolerate any other mon annoying you.

• Evolve to Golbat whenever. However, once you do, you may not start any major battles until Annoyance is a Crobat.
  • Whenever an opposing mon heals in any way whatsoever, Annoyance must solo the rest of that battle. Other mons' solos take priority over this.
  • Whenever a wild or Totem mon tries to call for help, Annoyance must solo the rest of that battle. Other mons' solos take priority over this.
  • Solo all mons that have a friendship evolution anywhere in their evolutionary lines. This includes Hau's Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu-A as well as all Eeveelutions.
  • Annoyance must learn and keep some kind of recovery move.
Too easy? Too hard? Let me know!

Guess I'll try this:
-X Version
-Medium to hard difficulty
-I can trade but prefer not to

Take Trauma the Bagon

This Bagon has headbutted so many times, that he now gives himself blunt force trauma. So, after attacking with a physical move, it must rest the next turn to get his bearings back. Unfortunately, this also applies to getting hit with a physical move, since he would be given a concussion. Finally, since Trauma still has the desire to get stronger, you must solo both Grant and Corrina before evolving into Shelgon.

As said Shelgon, Trauma learns that through the solos, he broke numerous bones in his body, and must be fit in a full body cast. At this point, Trauma may not use physical moves. Additionally, if it is hit by a physical move, it must switch out as soon as possible, and may not fight until A. a recovery item is used, or B. It is healed at a Pokemon center. Only after a miracle medicine in Anistar City is used, can it be cured. Solo Olympia to evolve.

While the medicine may have cured physical problems, it did not fix the mental ones. All the symptoms Trauma had as a Bagon return, and they go back into affect. The head trauma also messes with Trauma's balance, and cannot keep airborne. Put an Iron ball on it to keep it grounded.

That is all!
Leafstorm121 take NeverUsed the Trubbish.

This Trubbish is upset that his line is tiered in NU and wants to prove that he can compete against RU mons.

• Solo all mons tiered in RU according to Smogon's Strategy Dex, as well as all mons that evolve into a mon tiered in RU. Other mons' solos take priority over this.
  • NeverUsed may not participate in any battle against any mon tiered in PU, nor may he participate in any battle against any mon that evolves into a mon tiered in PU. They're just not worth his time.
  • Solo both Lysandre battles in the Team Flare Secret HQ to evolve into Garbodor.
Too easy? Solo UU mons as well as RU mons. Too hard? Drop the solo on the final Lysandre battle (in which case, NeverUsed can evolve after the first Lysandre battle in the Team Flare Secret HQ).
Leafstorm121
  • Klefki named Greed.
  • Teach it thief ASAP, and use it the first turn out.
  • Must always learn a new move when it can.
  • Minus solos, always have it in the front of the party.
  • Solo an e4 member (not Drasna).
Leafstorm 121, take Chivalry the Honedge. Chivalry always wants to have a fair fight, and as such, made it's own battle code. Force it to disobey this code will lead to it chopping off your head in spite.
  1. Thou shalt not strike an adversary prior to when thee strike Chivalry. Chivalry must use Automize to prepare for battle.
  2. Thyne bonuses from Affection are henseforth unfair and illegal. This decree applies to all thou Scramblemons.
  3. Chivalry does not deign to use thyne items that heal, in the midst of a duel.
  4. Ye held items grant Chivalry an unfair advantage, thou can not use them.
  5. Shalt another pokemon faint, Chivalry must fight to the death to defeat them. The only move you can use is Realitate, if it runs out of PP, you must use Automize. In this situation, Rule 1 has't not apply.
  6. If thou find another Honedge, Doublade, or Aegislash, Chivalry must defeat them in a righteous duel. Ignore Rule 1 here too.
  7. To evolve into Doublade, Chivalry must solo lady Valerie.
  8. Due to Aegislash's immense power, Chivalry shall not want to evolve further in fear of gaining unfair amounts of power.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Well, leafstorm21, prepare for possibly my hardest scramble to date.

Take Trauma the Bagon

This Bagon has headbutted so many times, that he now gives himself blunt force trauma. So, after attacking with a physical move, it must rest the next turn to get his bearings back. Unfortunately, this also applies to getting hit with a physical move, since he would be given a concussion. Finally, since Trauma still has the desire to get stronger, you must solo both Grant and Corrina before evolving into Shelgon.

As said Shelgon, Trauma learns that through the solos, he broke numerous bones in his body, and must be fit in a full body cast. At this point, Trauma may not use physical moves. Additionally, if it is hit by a physical move, it must switch out as soon as possible, and may not fight until A. a recovery item is used, or B. It is healed at a Pokemon center. Only after a miracle medicine in Anistar City is used, can it be cured. Solo Olympia to evolve.

While the medicine may have cured physical problems, it did not fix the mental ones. All the symptoms Trauma had as a Bagon return, and they go back into affect. The head trauma also messes with Trauma's balance, and cannot keep airborne. Put an Iron ball on it to keep it grounded.

That is all!

Leafstorm121 take NeverUsed the Trubbish.

This Trubbish is upset that his line is tiered in NU and wants to prove that he can compete against RU mons.

• Solo all mons tiered in RU according to Smogon's Strategy Dex, as well as all mons that evolve into a mon tiered in RU. Other mons' solos take priority over this.
  • NeverUsed may not participate in any battle against any mon tiered in PU, nor may he participate in any battle against any mon that evolves into a mon tiered in PU. They're just not worth his time.
  • Solo both Lysandre battles in the Team Flare Secret HQ to evolve into Garbodor.
Too easy? Solo UU mons as well as RU mons. Too hard? Drop the solo on the final Lysandre battle (in which case, NeverUsed can evolve after the first Lysandre battle in the Team Flare Secret HQ).

Unfortunately, I finished my Scramble challenge during my hiatus, so sorry.

Anyways, how about some scramblemons?

PSDuckie, take Pride the Rowlet. This Rowlet is, well, proud. As such, it must never have a held item, as it doesn't need such handicaps to be better than everyone else. Once it evolves into Dartrix, it's ego becomes so large that it can't be switched out once it is sent in. Finally, to let the world know that it is the greatest of grass types, it must solo totem Lurantis (If it defeats Lurantis, but is koed by another pokemon, it still counts.) If this is too easy? Once it becomes a Decidueye, you can't use healing items on it. Too hard? Drop the Totem Lurantis solo. So, Tl;Dr:
  • Rowlet named Pride
  • Can never have a held item.
  • Once it becomes Dartrix, cannot switch out.
  • Solo specifically Totem Lurantis
  • (Optional) No healing items as Decidueye.
Leafstorm121, you get Greed the Klefki. It's called Greed, because it's greedy. Be sure to grab the TM for thief (Punk Girl in Cassius' House, in Camphrier Town), and teach it to it as soon as you catch it. Greed must always use thief the first turn it is out. Furthermore, it wants EVERYTHING, including moves. As such, everytime Greed can learn a new move (level-up or TM) it must learn it(And no constantly using a single moveslot so you can essentially never be affected by this!). Also, it hoards the lead position, so (excluding solos) you must always have it in the front. Finally, to hoard glory, it must solo one of the e4, excluding Drasna(That would make it too easy, wouldn't it?). Tl; Dr
  • Klefki named Greed.
  • Teach it thief ASAP, and use it the first turn out.
  • Must always learn a new move when it can.
  • Minus solos, always have it in the front of the party.
  • Solo an e4 member (not Drasna).
If it is too easy or hard, I can change it.

acidphoenix Reserving a Mareanie.

Also, I'd like to do a white 2 scramble.
  • Hard-Very Hard Difficulty.
  • Cannot Trade.
  • Please, nothing that requires a lot of grinding, or doesn't really do anything but make life more tedious.
  • Pokemon with a sort of "backstory/personality" is encouraged!
Mons:
Not Alolan the Grimer
Reshiram the ???
Superman the ???

Last edited:
Hitmonleet, take Reshiram the ???. As the events of you becoming a pokemon trainer unfolded, N and his Reshiram were worried about the rise of Team Neo-Plasma. So, N's Reshiram decided to send it's spirit out as a ghost to help you on your journey. While this ghost may not be able to fight, it does have the power to possess other pokemon. Starting from the start of the game, Reshiram can possess any pokemon for a limited amount of time. While possesing, Reshiram must follow the following rules.

- After each Gym Battle, Reshiram must abandon it's current vessel and find a new pokemon to possess. This new pokemon must be located between the last gym and the next one.
- Reshiram must know the move Return.
- Reshiram has trouble keeping the souls of it's hosts in check. If Reshiram faints thrice with a single host, said pokemon must be released. You may not try to find another host until the next gym. By tossing a Nugget, you can gain an extra life.
- Reshiram may never be the highest level pokemon on your team.
- To keep balance, certain hosts are not allowed before certain gyms. These are: Magnemite for Roxie, Darumaka for Burgh, Ducklett for Clay.
- Legendaries can not be possesed
- For all intents and purposes, all the Team Plazma stuff counts as the period of one gym.

Through all this, you may choose to solo as many gyms as you want. By the time you can get to Victory Road, you can choose to have it possess any pokemon you want. Solo less than two gyms, and Reshiram may not possess anything. Solo four gyms, and it can possess Legendary pokemon. The three death rule still applies.

Leafstorm 121, take Chivalry the Honedge. Chivalry always wants to have a fair fight, and as such, made it's own battle code. Force it to disobey this code will lead to it chopping off your head in spite.
  1. Thou shalt not strike an adversary prior to when thee strike Chivalry. Chivalry must use Automize to prepare for battle.
  2. Thyne bonuses from Affection are henseforth unfair and illegal. This decree applies to all thou Scramblemons.
  3. Chivalry does not deign to use thyne items that heal, in the midst of a duel.
  4. Ye held items grant Chivalry an unfair advantage, thou can not use them.
  5. Shalt another pokemon faint, Chivalry must fight to the death to defeat them. The only move you can use is Realitate, if it runs out of PP, you must use Automize. In this situation, Rule 1 has't not apply.
  6. If thou find another Honedge, Doublade, or Aegislash, Chivalry must defeat them in a righteous duel. Ignore Rule 1 here too.
  7. To evolve into Doublade, Chivalry must solo lady Valerie.
  8. Due to Aegislash's immense power, Chivalry shall not want to evolve further in fear of gaining unfair amounts of power.

For all intents and purposes, all the Team Plazma stuff counts as the period of one gym.
If I may ask, what exactly do you mean by this? Is it that I have to get a new "host" for the Team Plasma section, and drop it after, or keep the old host, and drop it after?

Besides that, accepted! Definitely a very interesting challenge, and it isn't one that takes a really long time to get, either.

If I may ask, what exactly do you mean by this? Is it that I have to get a new "host" for the Team Plasma section, and drop it after, or keep the old host, and drop it after?

Besides that, accepted! Definitely a very interesting challenge, and it isn't one that takes a really long time to get, either.
After the 8th gym, get a new host. Keep said host until you beat Ghestis.

Last edited:
Hitmonleet take Not Alolan the Grimer.

This Grimer desperately wants to be its Alola Form, but isn't. Thus, it will try to defeat things that aren't in Alola...

• Yup, this is another of my type-change challenges. For all calculations involving type, treat Not Alolan as Poison/Dark instead of the pure Poison typing it actually is.
  • For all calculations involving ability, treat Not Alolan as having Poison Touch (its hidden ability) even if it actually has a different ability.
  • Solo all Pokemon that get an Alola Form. Other mons' solos take priority over this.
  • Solo two Gyms (all trainers and the Gym Leader) to evolve into Muk.
  • Solo all of Victory Road. Yes, all of it. You must defeat all the accessible Trainers in Victory Road using only Not Alolan, and defeat all wild Pokemon you encounter using only Not Alolan. Also, no using Repels in Victory Road!
Too easy? Add two more Gym solos. Too hard? Drop the Victory Road solo.

Hitmonleet take Not Alolan the Grimer.

This Grimer desperately wants to be its Alola Form, but isn't. Thus, it will try to defeat things that aren't in Alola...

• Yup, this is another of my type-change challenges. For all calculations involving type, treat Not Alolan as Poison/Dark instead of the pure Poison typing it actually is.
  • For all calculations involving ability, treat Not Alolan as having Poison Touch (its hidden ability) even if it actually has a different ability.
  • Solo all Pokemon that get an Alola Form. Other mons' solos take priority over this.
  • Solo two Gyms (all trainers and the Gym Leader) to evolve into Muk.
  • Solo all of Victory Road. Yes, all of it. You must defeat all the accessible Trainers in Victory Road using only Not Alolan, and defeat all wild Pokemon you encounter using only Not Alolan. Also, no using Repels in Victory Road!
Too easy? Add two more Gym solos. Too hard? Drop the Victory Road solo.
Accepted! This makes a total of at least 4 gyms to solo, between two of my pokemon, one of which has a life restriction, along with an entire Victory Road Solo. Well, I'm definitely going to be stocking up on escape ropes. This is getting to the difficult stuff I'm looking for!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hitmonleet, take Supermon the ???

1. Supermon is the first Pokémon (past the fixed Minccino) that you catch in a Hidden Grotto, its hideout.

2. It wants to show the world its sense of justice, and as such may not use any Poison-type or Dark-type moves. Those moves make it seem unjust!

3. Additionally, it must solo every grunt you battle on the Team Plasma Frigate.

4. Supermon can't fight any opponent more than 5 levels below it, though, as it doesn't want to pick on the weak. You must immediately switch out against these opponents if possible.

5. If Supermon stars in the movie Invaders, and gets any ending other than Bad, then it feels that people know how righteous it is. After this, you may lift the restriction on Poison- and Dark-type moves.

6. Sound too easy? Here's one last thing:
Supermon must have one move, designated at the time of capture, that it must use upon entering battle, and 7. Supermon must lead your party at all times. Unless you are facing a Pokémon that forces Supermon to switch out as per Rule 4, Supermon must use this move immediately after entering battle. The move may only be replaced once.

Too easy? Too hard? Let me know and I can think of something else!

Good luck and have fun!

Hitmonleet, take Supermon the ???

1. Supermon is the first Pokémon (past the fixed Minccino) that you catch in a Hidden Grotto, its hideout.

2. It wants to show the world its sense of justice, and as such may not use any Poison-type or Dark-type moves. Those moves make it seem unjust!

3. Additionally, it must solo every grunt you battle on the Team Plasma Frigate.

4. Supermon can't fight any opponent more than 5 levels below it, though, as it doesn't want to pick on the weak. You must immediately switch out against these opponents if possible.

5. If Supermon stars in the movie Invaders, and gets any ending other than Bad, then it feels that people know how righteous it is. After this, you may lift the restriction on Poison- and Dark-type moves.

6. Sound too easy? Here's one last thing:
Supermon must have one move, designated at the time of capture, that it must use upon entering battle, and 7. Supermon must lead your party at all times. Unless you are facing a Pokémon that forces Supermon to switch out as per Rule 4, Supermon must use this move immediately after entering battle. The move may only be replaced once.

Too easy? Too hard? Let me know and I can think of something else!

Good luck and have fun!
Accepted! Also, it is about the difficulty I want. A Pokemon I might never end up getting, possibly, that solos the entire Plasma Frigate, forced to use a move whenever it is out, required to lead the party, and with a lower level limit, to actively keep me from doing the grinding I didn't want challenges to make me do!

I'm looking for a Very Hard Platinum Scramble with two caveats:
-All Pokemon must be able to reach their final evolution by the time I fight Cynthia
-I reserve the right to deny any challenge that is too tedious (eg. solo Fantina with a Wurmple) and/or requires too much grinding.
Go nuts.

Post 12000!

AOPSUser, take Rival the Gible! Rival is rivals with its counterpart, Axew, in Unova. It wants to distinguish itself from the single-typed dragon, and this means that whenever it enters a battle, it may not use a Dragon-type move the first turn it's out.

Additionally, Haxorus has the word "hax" in it. Can't have that now, can we? Rival may not use any moves that have less than 100% Accuracy or have a chance of otherwise failing.

Solo Byron to evolve into Gabite. Rival wants to show it can beat Steel-types.

Finally, Rival thinks that unlike the Axew family, it can withstand the bitter cold... That's right. Solo 3 Trainer owned Ice-types to get Garchomp.
Something nice, simple, yet difficult. Accepted!

Anyways, you may have Masamune the Scyther.
Masamune is a villainous, roguish knave, who attacks everything in its path. Whenever Masamune is sent out, it must ko a Pokemon before it is "sheathed" (switched). Masamune is more interested in defeating foes than anything else, so Masamune must only use physical attacks, with the exception of Swords Dance. (Yeah, this isn't too much of a challenge itself.) However, it takes great pleasure in lengthening the suffering of others, so Masamune may never use super-effective attacks. Despite being so evil, Masamune values honour, and insists your party do the same, so, to keep things fair, You may never use healing items on your party once you obtain Masamune. Finally, you may never evolve Masamune.

However, once you obtain Masamune, you may choose to instead evolve it into Scizor. In that case, instead, name it Murasame. Murasame is the epitome of chivalry, and demands the same of your party. As such, once you obtain Murasame, you may never use healing items on your party. Furthermore, your party may never have held items, excluding any Scramble requirements. Also, Murasame does not believe in undue fighting, so You may only send out Murasame if an ally is fainted or lowered below half health in one attack. Finally, to be able to protect the party, Murasame must learn Iron Defense ASAP, and use it the first turn it is out.

Either way you choose, Masamune/Murasame must solo Cyrus. They must prove that they are the greatest evil/good always overcomes evil.

Is it too easy? Too hard? I can change it if it is.
Preparing for Sinnoh remakes eh?

Catch Wrestler the HappinyChansey.
Wrestler aims to be a professional wrestler. Everyone always told Wrestler that she's too weak, but because the only damaging move she knows is Pound, she believes that she was meant to be a wrestler.

Wrestler needs to practice! For this reason, it may only know (/use) Tough moves! Additionally, it wants to solo all Battle Girls, to prove that she is the best fighter! After solo'ing one Battle Girl, she may evolve into Chansey.

Wrestler must solo Maylene to evolve into Blissey, for the same reason that she has to battle Battle Girls. (I think it is possible, reach Route 212 via Pastoria. If it isn't possible, then solo Byron if you want to evolve it.)

If Wrestler is knocked out by a physical move, she must be revived immediately and solo the Pokemon that knocked her out, if you have any revival items. You must make sure that they are bought in Eterna City. If, after getting access to Eterna City, Wrestler is ever not immediately revived, she must solo a gym leader / elite four member / rival fight / galactic boss fight / champion fight of your choice.

Good luck; have fun spamming X-Items against Maylene, while she is using Fake Out.
(sorry for doublepost but it doesn't alert otherwise)

You don't have any early game mons, so...
Take Autotune the (male) Kricketot! Autotune is very unfortunate, he's completely tone deaf! This means that he cannot learn any sound based moves other than Growl, which must always remain on his moveset. Growl must be the first move used in every battle; if it runs out of PP, you must use Ethers etc, or backtrack. Autotune is jealous of other musicians, so must solo every Guitarist, every Chatot, and every Kricketune you encounter. In addition, if another mon uses Sing, Autotune must immediately switch in and KO that mon.
As a result of his jealousy, Autotune is something of a lone ranger, at first. Once you catch him (and you should do so as soon as possible), he must solo the game up until you leave Eterna Forest, at which point he must evolve, and then realise that teammates are not the same as bandmates. This shocking realisation forces him to sit out Eterna Gym entirely.
Autotune must win a Contest sometime before you beat Team Galactic; once he does, then he is permitted to learn one (and only one) sound-based move. This must be learnt as soon as possible via the Heart Scale move relearner, and Autotune is unable to participate in any further battles until you do (I suggest waiting until you can Fly to Pastoria).
Finally, Autotune must prove that he is the best bug (better than Masamune/Murasame!) by solo'ing Bugsy in the E4. Content with himself, he then sits out the rest of the E4 except the Champion, where he must get one KO.
(If you're doing postgame then have him solo Heatran)
If any of these restrictions conflict with another mon's, that mon takes priority. The male thing is also optional, I just couldn't be bother to reword the flavour
Actually, double posting to make sure you you see this

AOPSUser Take Scaredy the Pachirisu

Scaredy, as you can tell, isn't very brave, as thus it's nature can't be Brave. Because of this, it refuses to face big, scary Pokemon. This includes all Ghost, Dark, and Poison-types, as well as Pokemon with the ability Intimidate or Rivalry. Scaredy is also very afraid of powerful moves, as it's easily startled. So, Scaredy will also refuse to use any move with mover than 75 Base Power (moves with varying base power or fixed damage are not restricted). Scaredy, at least, loves to eat andm ust always be holding a consumable item. Scaredy is determined to get over it's fear, so it must solo Fantina, though after the experience, it just gets more scared of Ghosts. So scared, in fact, that it thinks Ghosts are coming for it, and thus as soon as possible, it must learn Dig and use it at the start of every battle that it can participate in. Lastly, to attempt to get over it's fear, it must KO at least 2 of Cyrus' Pokemon in every battle against him, regardless of restriction and lead off against Giratina.
I've played Platinum probably over 100 times now, so I'll skip over most of the beginning.

I pick the girl because Lucas has less lines than Dawn. No name comes to mind so I just select blank and out pops defau--
wait...PLATO? That's not a girl's name as far as I know. I'm tempted to just take it for the comedic factor. I did not know this was in the game lol.
Instead I become "Kelly".

Blah blah tutorial
Rowan: "Your Pokemon is new to this world, as are you."
Uh...I probably have over 1000 hours on this game? I'm definitely not new to Sinnoh lol.

*encounters Kricketot*
Hey Autot---lol no I don't have Pokeballs yet. Lucky me? The hours of Biding await.

*blah leaving home, parents, Parcel, catching tutorial*
Pokeballs get! Alright, time to get a Kricketot.

*turns out, 10% encounter rate is a bitch*
Well, I now have a Bidoof, Starly, and Shinx. Just waiting on that damn Kricketot.
*finally gets one*
*it's Modest*
:( Well no one said it had to be the FIRST Kricketot I met, right?

(I could work with Modest, but it gets no Special moves and I need Bug Bite for Roark so...)

*Careful with very high Attack IV*
Oh, perfect! Its HP isn't the best but that only matters for the first twelve levels...
...kill me now (jk, don't actually)
(Also I misspelled it "Autotund". Oops. That will be changed later.)

So now begins the hours of Bide grinding!

*manages to clear the first route with just Bide and ~10 Pokemon center trips*
*Autotune is level 9*
Yeah this is gonna be a while.

*enter Jubilife, cue more tutorialization*
Blah blah Trainer School ooh two more battles.
*Autotune hits level 10, tries to evolve*
If only it were that easy. This is really going to be annoying.

Clown: "Pokemon grow stronger by leveling up"
Not this one
"Some even get powerful new forms!"
...lol

So one of the trainers on Route 204 has a level 8 Magikarp. Fortunately, Kricketot has more PP than Magikarp, so Magikarp struggled first. Still, that was not a fun battle.

*Autotune hits level 12*

Holy hell is this thing deadweight. Growl helps it out with taking more hits but that just wastes more Bide PP and forces more Pokemon Center trips. I think this is a good enough spot for the Rival fight, though. (also I'm less than 40% of my way to level 16, EXP wise)

vs Barry:
-T1 Double Growl
-Starly Quick Attacks on my first Bide, but Quick Attacks on the third turn as well so I get my full damage
-Starly then proceeds to growl me as I click Bides, wasting PP.
-It also did 22 damage total
-I fodder a Budew to Potion Kricketot
-Turtwig keeps using Withdraw which is annoying
-I eventually kill it with Bide with 1 PP left.

That was actually far easier than I expected. But Kricketot doesn't even level up from it. It's close though.

*Kricketot vs. Kricketot*
Well it's a good thing I decided to hit the Pokemon Center before this battle. This could be very long.
*we Struggle at the same time but I break out a Potion*
Okay, this next mon is going to be annoying.
*Zubat*
Dammit why does Supersonic exist
*4 Potions later*
It's down. And as per restrictions I have to hit the Pokemon Center now. *does so*

*Shinx and Machop love spamming Leer*
...as it turns out, going back to the Pokemon Center after every battle is pretty annoying. I'm contemplating just grinding Autotune to level 16 so it can actually do stuff other than Bide. Especially since enemy mons aren't doing much damage anymore.

*gets through Oreburgh Tunnel, skipping trainer with 4 level 4 mons*
I'll get to that one when I have Bug Bite
*Autotune is still level 14*
*clears through Oreburgh Mine, Oreburgh Gym, Autotune FINALLY hits level 16*
WOW that took a long time. Bug Bite get!
*tests on wild lv. 8 Geodude, barely 2HKOes*
...Roark is gonna be fun.

vs. Roark - Attempt 1
I spend all of my money so Roark can't take it.
I Growl turn 1 as he sets up SR, then Bug Bite can't 3HKO and after a Potion he kills me

Attempt 2:
I Growl Turn 1 as he uses Rock Throw. I Bide as he barely misses the 3HKO and I KO back.
Onix sets up SR as I heal, then starts spamming Screech.
Onix is weak so its Rock Throws hurt less and two Bides and two more Potion take it down.
Cranidos 2HKOes thanks to a Headbutt crit.
I let myself lose, losing $32.

Attempt 3:
Geodude decides to Rock Throw --- Rock Throw --- Stealth Rock, meaning Bide doesn't KO, and SR gets set up. Geodude still dies, but Autotune dies to Onix.
I reset to save my Potions, as my strat will work; it just hasn't yet. Yes, I know this is the definition of insanity. I don't really care.

Attempt 4:
Rock Throw --- Stealth Rock --- Rock Throw. RIP. Reset

Attempt 5:
SR --- RT --- RT, the perfect opening.
2 Potions are used to beat Onix, I have 36 HP left
Perfect.
Growl, Headbutt doesn't nearly do enough
I keep Growling and healing until Cranidos is at -6.
Bug Bite is a 3HKO. A good thing, too, since I only have one Potion left.
Headbutt flinches twice in a row, I get another Bug Bite off, then Headbutt flinches AGAIN
Bug Bite, Potion, then my next Bug Bite crits. Good thing, too, since all my Potions were gone and a crit Headbutt would have KOed.

So, after five attempts, using all my healing items, and almost four hours of grinding, and a bit of insanity, Roark is beaten. I must say, I never expected Kricketot to be capable of this. Then again, I've done it with a Staravia before, so I guess anything's possible.

Team (listed MVP to LVP):
Pokemon: 1
Badges: 1
Resets/Losses: 4

Autotune the Kricketot
Level: 18
Ability: Shed Skin
Careful Nature
Stats: 46/19/24/15/25/17
IVs: 22/26/21-22/19/18-23/15
-Growl
-Bide
-Bug Bite
Solo through Eterna Forest: no

Autotune is actually more impressive than I originally thought. The Growl restriction isn't exactly counterproductive with Bide, since Growl can help Kricketot survive a few extra attacks and take less damage. It uses more Bide PP but since I have to backtrack to the Pokemon Center after every battle, that's not the end of the world. Aside from that, holy hell this was frustrating, up until level 16 and Bug Bite (and even then, Roark). I had to rely on timing the Bide to avoid Growl/Harden/Leer. One thing I noticed about the AI is that once its stats are lowered, it will keep spamming its stat-boosting or lowering moves until your stats are -6 or its stats are at +6, if it is able. I was able to abuse this by chucking Poke Balls at the enemy (Poke Balls in Trainer battles waste the turn but not the ball) until it hit +6/I hit -6 before clicking Bide. In the case of Leer, I Growled it down to -6 first. All in all, Kricketot isn't as bad as I thought it would be. (It's still pretty bad)
*bumps into Barry, typical tutorial scene where he tells me to head to Eterna*
I remember on my first playthrough I thought he was going to battle me here. It kinda seems like it the way he runs into you.
Anyways, I'm not headed to Eterna yet. It's time to explore Oreburgh Gate, B1F! (not all of it, though, since I need Surf to reach some of it)

*Bug Bite fails to OHKO a level 9 Psyduck*
I mean, this is the result I wanted since I wanted to catch it, but still, it's kinda sad.
*Final haul: Psyduck, TM70, Big Pearl*
I don't know why I even use Bulbapedia anymore; I've memorized like the entire game at this point.

Looker (upon entering Jubilife): "There does not appear to be anyone shady around here."
*encounters two Galactic Grunts in broad daylight*
*easily destroys them, as the grunts gang up on Lucas's Chimchar*
The only possible explanation is that they're afraid of Autotune. Right?
Anyways, I've never understood why you get the Fashion Case after this battle. The Contests are in Hearthome; there's plenty of room to give it so it's not like it's forced anyways.

*Autotune OHKOes a Budew*
:O Of course, it has 40/35 physical bulk and I'm 10 levels higher, but still.

Bug catcher: "Let me show off my Bug Pokemon"
*level 10 Wurmple*
...Well maybe he's doing a Scramble? Or maybe he's just dumb like every other Bug Catcher in the game. Probably the latter, since he also has a level 11 Kricketot.

*Pachirisu is also a 10% encounter*
Well we know how this went from Kricketot. Here's hoping it doesn't take an hour.
*Buizel outspeed Kricketot so I can't run from them*
They're not doing any damage, but it adds up anyways. Plus this Pachirisu is taking a long time.
*finds one, level 11, spells "Scaredy" correctly this time*
God bless, Hardy nature with perfect Attack. This is going to work out great.

Galactic Grunt: "The solution's simple, we ensure the brat stays quiet!"
Considering the main character never actually says anything over the course of the game, this seems a bit unnecessary tbh
Second Grunt: "My partner weakened you, so now I go in for the kill!"
...I didn't actually take any damage over the course of the last game. You guys are really intelligent lol
*Bug Bite actually does more to Zubat than Bide*
Yeah as much as I bashed Kricketot earlier, its stats aren't really that bad. Of course, it could just be the fact that Autotune is level 20 while the Zubat is level 11.

vs. Mars: Attempt 1
Turn 1 Growl vs. Toxic, Shed Skin heals Toxic
Turn 2 Bide, Zubat re-sets Toxic
Turn 4 I Antidote, Zubat crits Bite
Turn 5 Zubat crits again, Kricketot dies

Attempt 2:
Turn 1 Toxic miss
Turn 2 is a Bite flinch, as is Turn 3
Turn 4 Zubat hits Toxic, Shed Skin cures Autotune
I spam Bug Bite to kill Zubat
Death fodder Bidoof comes in to take the Fake Out and let me heal Autotune.
I Growl Purugly down to -6, healing along the way, and then chip away with Bug Bite.
Convenient Oran Berry is convenient.

That probably took one more attempt than it needed to. Regardless, Mars is down. And Zubats are annoying.
Also Autotune just gained 666 EXP.

With Bug Bite now, it's really nice not having to run back to the Pokemon Center after every battle.
*as I say that, I encounter an Ember Ponyta which forces me to Bide*
...maybe I shouldn't tempt fate

*Pachirisu uses Bide, Autotune uses Bide in return and hits back for 64*
That wasn't necessary, but I was going to make a Pokemon Center stop to refill Bug Bite PP anyways so might as well lol

*enters Eterna Forest*
Having Cheryl means I no longer have to Teleport after every battle. Also her Chansey is actually faster than Autotune lol

*Abras have Hidden Powers strong enough to 7HKO the Chansey*
Interesting. They have Hidden Power Fighting but it's probably not 0IV since it was actually pretty powerful. There must be a sheet somewhere with this info but w/e

*Autotune hits level 26*
And since I've cleared Eterna Forest, you can now evolve! Just in time to learn Slash, too.

Of course, the downside to having Autotune finally evolved is that Scaredy is now massively underleveled.
*Quick Attack 5HKOes lv. 10 Magikarp*
Case in point. Though actually Magikarp's Defense is not bad.
*lv. 16 Magikarp is 7HKOed*

Alright Scaredy, it's clear you're not beating Gardenia like this. In fact, Gardenia is actually pretty hard. I recall the first time I picked up Platinum I lost to her like 5 times with a Staravia.
So as a result you'll need more firepower. Where do we get that when we're restricted to 75 power moves? The one move that isn't.
*Scaredy learned Return!*
Now of course, this means a lot of Bik---wait I don't get the Bike until after Gardenia do I? I also can't use a Soothe Bell. On the bright side, I can get that part done while grinding and leveling up raises happiness. Plus 100 base happiness is nice (unlike that goddamn Buneary).

*notices Ninja Boy disguised as mound of dirt*
If you're a Ninja Boy, aren't you supposed to be stealthy and not noticeable?
*I destroy him*
On the other hand, I can see why you would want to hide.

*gets taken down to 12 health by a Cherubi*
...either Scaredy's friendship isn't high enough or it's just weak as shit. Probably the latter.
*back to hitting the Pokemon Center after every battle*

*cue grinding to level 25*
Alright, I think that's enough. My friendship should also be pretty high at this point.

vs. Gardenia:
Turtwig sets up Reflect turn 1
Well that's annoying.
Return is about a 5HKO with Reflect up.
I get it to the red, Gardenia Super Potions, Reflect wears off.
It'll Reflect again, won't it?
Turtwig keeps spamming Razor Leaf without resetting Reflect as I kill it.
...that worked out well.
Return 4HKOes Cherrim as it repeatedly Leech Seeds. I switch out to a heal fodder each time.
Okay, Scaredy's at 54 HP and I have a Super Potion left. Roserade should be easy.
Turns out, it is, as Return crits the first turn and it wastes a turn with Stun Spore even though it's faster.

Well that was much, much easier than I expected, and much easier than Roark was. Kudos to Scaredy for having respectable Special Defense (no Volt Absorb though). It only took a single Super Potion for him to solo Gardenia.

Pokemon: 2
Badges: 2
Resets/Losses: 5

Scaredy the Pachirisu @ Cheri Berry
Level: 26
Ability: Pickup
Hardy Nature
Stats: 68/37/47/35/58/64
IVs: 2/31/22/24/24/26 (HP Fighting 39)
-Spark
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Sweet Kiss
Solo Fantina: no

Scaredy really surprised me in Eterna Gym, even having initially struggled through it. 100 base Friendship really helped its Return since I didn't need to spend as much time grinding and running around as I would have for, say, Buneary. Other than that, its high defensive stats have bailed it out on multiple occasions, which I can't really say about Autotune. Even though it ended up battling a total of 6 trainers this chapter, it was still a helluva lot better than Autotune.

Autotune the Kricketune @ Silver Powder
Level: 26
Ability: Swarm
Careful Nature
Stats: 83/56/38/35/40/44
IVs: 22/26/22/19/21/15 (HP Ice 49)
-Growl
-Bide
-Bug Bite
-Slash
Solo through Eterna Forest: yes

Evolved Autotune is actually pretty strong, but the effort it took to evolve the damn thing knocks it down to LVP for this chapter. I never even used evolved Autotune this chapter, so I guess we'll see how strong this guy actually is. Growl was not a bad move, though towards the end it got annoying to keep using as it became more and more unnecessary. Bide came in handy a couple times for a trainer-owned Ponyta and a couple Beautifly/Dustox in Eterna Forest, but otherwise he just spammed Bug Bite.
So now I have to defeat Team Galactic to free the Cycle Shop owner. Couldn't I just steal a Bicycle? Autotune leads because the Poison-types aren't very good for Scaredy.

*Autotune starts OHKOing stuff left and right*
Whoa, holy shit. These aren't Budews either, these are Croagunks and Stunkys. Evolving has really done great for it. Of course, it could be the ten level advantage.

So the way you navigate this building is that Team Galactic put their motto on the side of every correct stairway. A scheme that even Looker sees is "not very intelligent".
So the natural thing is to take every wrong turn to get items and EXP!

vs. Jupiter:
Growl, followed by crit Slash. I had to take a Wing Attack but otherwise this was pretty optimal.
Night Slash does 27 damage, but I steal Sitrus Berry and Bug Bite is a 3HKO.
Second Night Slash crits and forces me to heal as Swarm-boosted Bug Bite puts Skuntank in red.
I...outspeed? It was a speed tie the whole time? Well that's good I guess, as Slash finishes off Skuntank.

So now that I have the Bicycle, it's time to make progress!
...yeah lol not happening

*Eterna Forest outside section loot: a bunch of Berries, Silver Powder, TM82, and an Accessory*
Autotune will really appreciate that.
*Old Chateau loot: Insect Plate, Ether, Honey, Rare Candy, Big Pearl, Old Gateau, TM90, Dread Plate, Rotom*
None of those are actually useful but I'm a completionist.

So now time to actually make progress.
*goes into Wayward Cave to catch Rival*
Fun fact: the first time I played this game I actually discovered this place by accident. I don't remember what I was trying to do even.
*level 17 Gible*
Alright perfect. Let's catch it.
*I waste about ten balls as it keeps breaking free*
Aaaaaah I forgot how annoying these thiings can be. Luckily I stocked up.
*finally catches it*
Okay now let's check your stat---
wait...HOLY SHIT. Rash nature, perfect Attack, 28-31 Defense, Special Defense, Speed. No, you can't make this up lol
It kinda sucks that Dragon Rage is the only move you can use, but fortunately I can rectify that with this conveniently-located TM from Wayward Cave
*Rival learned Earthquake!*

*vs. Hiker, Rival destroys both Onix with Dragon Rage*
I don't even need EQ right now lol. Of course its power is going to go down since it can't evolve until Byron, but damn is Rival OP right about now.

*goes through Wayward Cave, normal cave*
I remember I got quite lost my first time through. Fortunately, I now have Bulbapedia. And I know how Flash works. Funnily enough, this seems to be the only Flashable cave in Sinnoh.
*finds Mira*
Mira: "Please take me!"
...has no one taught you to beware of strangers? Usually when someone approaches you in the dark you don't ask to go with them.
But regardless, it's time to start levelling Rival. The free heal after each battle will help immensely.

*mirror match against Gible, Rival outspeeds despite being 4 levels lower*
Perks of having a high Speed IV.

Hiker: "Look, a trainer lost in Wayward Cave!"
Oh, I'm definitely not lost. I'm just taking every possible detour on the way out.

*finally exits Wayward Cave*
That's all the sidequesting I'm doing for the time being. Also Mira isn't kind like Cheryl and doesn't give me an item :(

*double battle, Rival OHKOes Scaredy with Earthquake*
Holy shit :O. This guy is getting a bit too strong.
*Rival learned Dragon Claw*
The plus side of having to delay evolution is learning stronger moves earlier. The downside is, of course, having to press B.

*Hearthome City*
There's actually so much to do here that it's really easy to miss random stuff. Random NPCs in houses that don't do anything, the random church, getting the Poffin Case from the Fan Club instead of the Poffin House (seriously wtf) and the Bebe encounter that I somehow missed completely the first time I played the game.
So now that I got the Contest Hall encounter over with (and not entering Autotune in one just yet), it's time to hit the gym!
...lolno. Amity Square calls.
*loot: TM43, TM45, Amulet Coin, 5x Magost Berry, Spooky Plate*
Fun fact: the first time I played through this game I didn't know about the teleporters and I just assumed some of the items were unreachable. In fact I think I discovered the teleporters completely by accident sometime this year. Funny how that works out.

*in the Gym*
So apparently instead of having you do basic math that there is even a Poketch app for, this gym has you basically play shadow tag (pun intended) with flashlights. And since I think literally every Ghost-type Pokemon here is immune to Ground, I don't have any moves to hit it Turn 1. Scaredy can't fight, and Autotune's Bug Bite is resisted.
*Rival gets Confuse Ray haxed by a Misdreavus*
Gahhhh it really sucks having to use that Slash Turn 1.
*Gastly outspeeds Rival with Hypnosis*
Why is it that Ghost-types are always the most annoying type in every game? At least Gastly's Night Shade can't crit lol
*Gastly also has Confuse Ray*
...this is gonna be a long one
*fortunately, Hypnosis misses the second time*
*Haunter comes out, does 32 with Shadow Ball for the KO*
...you know, I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting tbh
*Haunter pops a Curse*
Well at least that was the last turn. Though now I'm not sure if Dragon Claw would have KOed.

vs. Fantina:
Scaredy will solo this one. Spark barely doesn't 2HKO but does paralyze Duskull as I take a Shadow Sneak and my Rawst Berry absorbs a Will-O-Wisp.
Duskull is fully paralyzed when trying to use Shadow Sneak and I KO it for free.
*Scaredy is trying to learn Discharge!*
Oh, how I wish I could...
Haunter is outsped, 2HKOed by Spark, and misses Hypnosis. So far I've taken 7 damage.
Scaredy outspeeds and paralyzes Mismagius with Spark. It's a 3HKO but Sitrus Berry will draw it out.
*Shadow Ball does 24 damage*
That's a...4HKO. lol. But Confuse Ray is going to be annoying.
*Special Defense drop*
*second drop*
...okay screw this. I'll just let Scaredy die and Revive it with Abra.
*does so*
*Fantina pops a Super Potion even though Mismagius is not in red*
...is the cutoff like 25% or something? I've never understood why the AI will do this in some situations and not others.
*full paralysis as I Super Potion*
Spark will finish it off here. This was much easier than I expected, I must say.

Pokemon: 3
Badges: 3

Rival the Gible
Level: 29
Ability: Sand Veil
Rash Nature
Stats: 76/54/42/34/35/38
IVs: 15/31/29/10/29/28 (HP Water 42)
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Rage
-Slash
-Earthquake
Solo Byron: no
Ice-type solos: 0/3

Those IVs though. Rival so far is a beast, OHKOing damn near everything, including its partner Scaredy in a Double battle (I really should have switched out lol). The restriction is basically a non-factor so far since all it's really done is cause me annoyance in mashing B. Its Speed, or more precisely lack thereof, lets it down a lot, especially against these Ghost-types that it will be facing more of later, but all the Defense EVs I got in Wayward Cave help in this regard. Overall, nothing really troubled Rival this chapter.

Scaredy the Pachirisu @ Rawst Berry
Level: 29
Hardy Nature
Stats: 75/41/52/39/64/71
-Spark
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Sweet Kiss
Solo Fantina: yes

Scaredy is actually surprisingly bulky. As in, it tanked Fantina's Mismagius until it got SpD dropped twice bulky. Other than that, it didn't really do much this chapter since it couldn't fight Team Galactic or Hearthome Gym.

Autotune the Kricketune @ SilverPowder
Level: 28
Careful Nature
Stats: 88/61/41/37/42/48
-Growl
-Bide
-Bug Bite
-Slash
Contest won: no
Bugsy soloed: no

Autotune basically didn't get used after Galactic HQ, but the brief stint in Galactic HQ highlighted its killing power against anything that didn't resist Bug Bite. Unfortunately, a bunch of things resist Bug Bite. Overall, it was mostly good because of being overleveled, though its Attack is higher than Rival's currently so that should be worth something.
It's been smooth sailing so far, but now comes the difficult part.
I have to catch Wrestler.

But first, a Rival battle!

vs. Barry:
Scaredy 2HKOes Staravia with Spark but is left at low health by Endeavor+Quick Attack. Just a tip Barry: FEAR only works if they actually put you at low health in one hit.
Autotune's Bug Bite OHKOes Buizel.
Rival's Earthquake OHKOes Ponyta.
Grotle manages to barely survive Autotune's Bug Bite, but Withdraw at such low health isn't doing any good.

*Wild Chansey's DoubleSlaps do 1 damage each to Scaredy.*
...this is gonna be fun lol
*catches lv. 17 Chansey, literally has 9 Attack*
...and all the relevant Tough moves are physical. At least I'm not soloing Maylene with Murasame in the party lol
Of course this thing is going to be very deadweight. Luckily, Fast EXP Group helps, as will Base 140 Happiness for when it is inevitably killed. Also, so will the EXP Share I so conveniently was given.

*Wrestler levels up twice, doesn't gain a single point in Attack*
Luckily, the first Battle Girl is not in quite a while. Otherwise this would be troublesome.

*arrives in Solaceon Town*
First two (actually three) orders of business: Pokeball sidequest (showed a Chingling to a man for free Nest Balls: worth?), Solaceon Ruins, and Lost Tower.
Fun fact: on my first playthrough I didn't know that Defog was an HM, let alone that it was in Solaceon Ruins. This caused many headaches.

*Solaceon Ruins loot: Fire Stone, Water Stone, Thunderstone, Nugget, Mind Plate, Odd Incense, Rare Candy*
*Lost Tower loot: Oval Stone, Honey, Revive, another TM27, Great Ball, Cleanse Tag, Spell Tag*

Route 210. Scyther are actually found here but catching Musarame or Masamune would be suicide for Wrestler's upcoming solo, so instead, I'll catch it in the northern area at level 29.
*Wrestler actually solos a Breeder's Happiny*
Sure, its only damaging moves were Copycat and Sweet Kiss, but the fact that DoubleSlap 3HKOed has to mean something, right?
*1254 EXP*
Not bad.

*against a Togepi, Wrestler does 17 damage to itself in confusion*
Why don't the enemies have Base 10 Defense? :(
*said Togepi Metronomes Submission and deals 86 damage*
...seriously. At least the recoil actually killed it lol

*buys 3 dozen Moomoo Milks*
I'll be needing these.

*Route 215 features my entire team getting walled in DOUBLES by a Drifblim*
It's a good thing this thing's best attacking move is Gust, because otherwise I'd be in real trouble. It 4x resists Autotune's best move against it and Scaredy can't fight it because restrictions.

*after Veilstone Gym, Wrestler is still level 31*
I do have a strategy for this fight, but it hinges on Wrestler being higher-leveled.

*Maniac Tunnel loot: TM28 (taught to Scaredy), Hippopotas, Unown !, Unown ?, Rare Candy*
Yes, I caught all 26 Unown. Just for the Rare Candy though, since I may need it soon for Wrestler.
(also I do this every time I play through haha)

*Scaredy outspeeds a Jolteon*
Of course, it's probably the fact that I'm 8 levels higher than it. But still.
*Wrestler 5HKOes a Flareon while taking massive damage from...Quick Attack*
Dammit I don't know how it'll survive Maylene. Good thing there are no Battle Girls yet.

*level 35, Wrestler wants to evolve*
Oh my. Not quite yet, friend, you have a Maylene solo coming first.
Also damn. Out-of-battle Softboiled is actually really nice. Though that may just be because Wrestler is so damn useless its health isn't going down much.

*Wrestler's Double Slap 2HKOes a Feebas*
We're getting there. Next step, Lucario!

*Autotune's Bug Bite fails to OHKO a Shellos*
Damn, it's getting weak.

*Wrestler hits level 38, learns Egg Bomb*
Fuck yes. No longer having to rely on DoubleSlap for damage is pretty nice.

*Great Marsh loot, round 1: Yellow Shard x2, Wooper, Poke Ball x2, Tropius, Rare Candy, Blue Shard, Toxic Plate, Barboach, Quagsire, Tangela, Hyper Potion, Green Shard, Red Shard, Max Repel, Great Ball, Yanma, Big Mushroom, Leaf Stone, Skorupi, Matchup Checker Poketch app*
*Great Marsh loot, round 2: Great Ball, Hoothoot, Noctowl*

vs. Maylene
I equip a Razor Fang to Wrestler; not that it would matter since I'm pretty sure all her mons outspeed me anyways. I didn't have anything better.
I X Defend as Drain Punch does 170 damage.
...I'm actually impressed that Wrestler managed to tank that. Sure, it's ten levels higher than Meditite, but Pure Power Drain Punch hits like a truck.
Five Hyper Potions later, Meditite is out of Drain Punch PP.
Meditite starts using Rock Tomb. Well I guess Razor Fang is completely useless here lol
Confusion does 7 damage.
I set up to +6 Attack, +6 Defense, Egg Bomb crits and OHKOes Meditite.
I heal up with a Moomoo Milk, Machoke does 62 damage with Karate Chop.
Egg Bomb 2HKOes Machoke, fortunately it doesn't crit.
Lucario's Drain Punch does 80 damage, so I stall it out with Moomoo Milks.
Egg Bomb 3HKOes Lucario, but Sitrus Berry will heal it.
Lucario paralyzes Wrestle with Force Pa---wait...Lucario isn't holding Sitrus Berry? What?
*turns out, according to Bulbapedia, it's itemless*
...huh, interesting.
Maylene makes no effort to heal Lucario as Wrestler finishes it off with Egg Bomb.

It's a good thing that Drain Punch is 60 power with 5 PP this generation, because otherwise this battle could have gone very differently.

Pokemon: 4
Badges: 4
Resets/Losses: 5 (somehow didn't add one here!)

Rival the Gible
Level: 33
Rash Nature
Stats: 87/63/48/39/39/45
-Dragon Claw
-Dig
-Slash
-Earthquake

Rival is still as powerful as ever, though being stuck as a Gible is starting to take a toll as it's pretty slow for this point in the game. Still, having a 100 power STAB that hits the field in Doubles is pretty good, as is an 80 power STAB that practically nothing at this point resists, though Rival can't use Dragon Claw on the first turn.

Scaredy the Pachirisu @ Pecha Berry
Level: 33
Hardy Nature
Stats: 85/46/59/45/72/83
-Spark
-Return
-Super Fang
-Dig

Scaredy is still a reliable tank like always, though its power level has started falling behind. Super Fang was a nice addition for Bronzors and the like, and it lets me weaken wild Pokemon while guaranteeing that I don't kill them, which is really nice. Other than that, again, it didn't really get used this chapter since Wrestler was stealing most of the spotlight, and when it was used, it usually 2HKOed whatever was in front of it, so it wasn't a big deal.

Level: 34
Careful Nature
Stats: 106/74/46/43/51/58
-Growl
-X-Scissor
-Bug Bite
-Slash

Autotune's power level is declining ever so slightly. X-Scissor still OHKOes most opponents, but Bug Bite is failing to do things like OHKO Shellos 7 levels under it. It still hits harder than Scaredy, though (and has more Attack than Rival, still). It didn't really get used that much this chapter, though.

Wrestler the Chansey @ Razor Fang
Level: 38
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
Stats: 248/19/12/39/88/48
IVs: 21/25/0/12/8/2 (HP Fighting 35)
-Egg Bomb
-Refresh (unusable)
-Softboiled (unusable)
-DoubleSlap
Maylene soloed: yes

God damn this thing was painful to deal with. It actually wasn't that bad, though, towards the end of the chapter, since it overleveled its opponents so much that it could often solo them, especially special attackers. DoubleSlap's PP was painful to deal with, so Egg Bomb was a great upgrade over it. I'm kinda regretting putting Earthquake on Rival, because Wrestler could really have used it this chapter.
I figure I got sidetracked enough last chapter. So the only sidequest I'm going on is Route 212.

But first, Barry wants to fight. Right outside Pastoria Gym too.

vs. Barry:
Endeavor+Wind Attack manages to kill Rival thanks to some Double Team hax
Wait...this may be the first time Rival has died this run :O Being stuck as a Gible is certainly doing it no favors.
Rival is revived and takes down Staravia and Ponyta too for good measure.
Damn I'm glad I didn't catch Scyther earlier. Healing items are sorta really necessary on this team.
Autotune...is outleveled by Grotle? I mean, it's not exactly unexpected since I spent so much EXP on Wrestler, but damn Barry's putting in work.
As I say that, Autotune nearly OHKOes it with X-Scissor. So much for putting in work. That thing should have evolved six levels ago by the way, Barry.
Scaredy finishes off Buizel.

*random Scientist's Kadabra has Ice Punch, OHKOes Rival*
...since when did these people have tutor moves on their mons?

*Policemen in Route 212 have woefully underleveled Hoothoot and Machop*
How exactly are they supposed to keep the peace again? Then again, Galactic is rampant so they aren't exactly doing a good job.

*enters Pokemon Mansion, grabs book about Manaphy*
I never understood why you can register Pokemon in a Pokedex from a book. Then again, in BW2 the genies and Reshiram/Zekrom are registered by talking to people. Also, this is probably one of the most out-of-the-way locations for a dex entry.

*maid knockout challenge: 9 turns*
This is actually one of the most unreliable events in all of Pokemon. The Clefairy all have Endure and can randomly pop it without warning. The reward is a shitton of EXP in the form of a level 35 Blissey. At least 9 turns is easy.
*Rival OHKOes first Clefairy with EQ*
*same with second*
This is going well so far.
*third one Endures twice in a row*
*fourth one is OHKOed*
*fifth one uses Bounce, then endure, really messing up the 9-turn thing*
...yeah I didn't really expect that to work anyways. It was worth a shot though.

*Trophy Garden loot: Pichu, Pikachu*

*In Pastoria Gym, Wrestler evolves*
It went from 20 Attack and 12 Defense to...24 Attack and 16 Defense. lol
*Goldeen drops 666 EXP*
Evidently the work of the devil.

vs. Wake:
Scaredy runs from the Gyarados, Autotune is OHKOed by a crit Waterfall before it can move.
What a great start.
Autotune is revived and healed, takes several Waterfalls while Growling Gyarados down to a safe level.
Slash is a 5HKO, as Hyper Potion stalls its death.
Rival switches into Quagsire's Rock Tomb, 3HKOes Quagsire with Earthquake.
Quagsire uses Yawn.
Hyper Potion is used on Quagsire.
Scaredy switches into Floatzel, Spark does less than half.
Scaredy takes two Crunches, second drops Defense, but second Spark hits max roll and KOs.

Pokemon: 4
Badges: 5

Rival the Gible
Level: 37
Rash Nature
Stats: 97/72/53/44/45/51
-Dragon Claw
-Dig
-Slash
-Earthquake

Rival's defenses are...well...meh, but that's just the point in the game. Next chapter, it should be able to evolve, and then very soon evolve again. Its power level is still insane since Earthquake is the hardest-hitting move on the team.

Level: 36
Careful Nature
Stats: 112/79/52/50/55/61
-Growl
-X-Scissor
-Bug Bite
-Slash

Autotune is actually pretty strong and Growl saved me against Wake. Of course, its restrictions are pretty annoying but not as bad as Scaredy's (or lol Wrestler).

Level: 37
Hardy Nature
Stats: 95/53/66/51/81/93
-Spark
-Return
-Super Fang
-Dig

The Dig restriction is starting to get pretty annoying, and it's not as tanky as it used to be (or maybe that's just the Floatzel). Its power level is low enough that Spark wouldn't have 2HKOed Floatzel without the 1/16 roll. Super Fang is nice, though.

Wrestler the Blissey
Level: 39
Bold Nature
Stats: 259/24/16/71/114/53
-Egg Bomb
-Refresh (unusable)
-Softboiled (unusable)
-DoubleSlap

Wrestler only gained EXP once this chapter and never actually used an attacking move. Blissey doesn't look much better than Chansey right now, but I guess we'll see.
*leaves gym, gets ambushed by Barry*
inb4 battle. At least, that's what I thought the first time I played. That would be trolling to the extreme.

Wake: "So where's this Galac-" *boom*
Amazing investigative instincts. Though given what I've seen from Looker I don't have high expectations from anyone in this game anymore.
*speaking of Looker, there he is*
He comes running up after missing the Grunt, and proceeds to obstruct the hotel clerk.
OH HELL NO. You might be utterly incompetent but you do NOT block my free healing.
...that said, I have no way to move him aside for now.

*I OHKO Croagunk*
Well I kinda understand why this guy runs away so much.
*Barry mistakes Cynthia for my sister*
I don't think any main character in these games has had a sibling? That said, Cynthia's a grown woman...how do you expect her to be my sister?
*Cynthia starts talking about her grandmother*
Then again, if her grandmother is still alive, I can see how that happens. In that case, though, I don't really trust a young twenty-something to lead me through the Distortion World. Maybe that's just me.

*catches Masamune, level 27 Technician Scyther*
Unfortunately, I can't use healing items anymore. Quiet nature is also useless, but it's not like I'm going to keep rolling that 5% encounter rate. Plus its stats are already better than Rival's lol
*sweeps a Ninja Boy with two Croagunks*
Yes, Masamune's underleveled. No, it doesn't give a fuck.

*Ace Trainers with Raichu/Gyarados*
This may actually be the hardest fight in this game. Fortunately, I have a secret weapon.
*switches Wrestler in to get 2HKOed by Gyarados's Ice Fang*
...that did not go to plan.
*for some reason, Gyarados decides to spam Leer and Twister as Autotune 2HKOes Raichu*
...well that went rather well.

*Wing Attack OHKOes Grunt's Houndour*
Who cares if Masamune is underleveled? lol

vs. Cyrus:
Autotune leads against Sneasel, which Screeches as I Growl, then dies to Bug Bite.
Scaredy 2HKOes Golbat and Murkrow with Spark.

*receives Analog Watch Poketch app*
...I don't think I have to explain how stupid this is, especially since the digital clock is the default app.

*Masamune wants to learn Razor Wind*
...what even is the purpose of this move? Nothing learns it early enough for it to be worth it. Not that Masamune could use it even if it wanted to.

*Masamune kills itself in confusion vs. Bronzor*
The no-switching-out restriction is actually pretty annoying.

*Canalave City*
First things first, a rival battle!

vs. Rival:
Staraptor Double Teams three times, but Rival hits three Dragon Claws as Take Down+Quick Attack barely fails to KO Rival.
Crit Dig from Scaredy OHKOes Rapidash.
Masamune dispatches Heracross.
Autotune's X-Scissor+Bug Bite KOs Torterra as it misses Leech Seed twice.
Scaredy 2HKOes Floatzel with Spark.

*vs. Steelix, Rival's EQ fails to 2HKO*
...Byron might actually be tough.

*Masamune takes down a Scizor 4 levels higher*
Who says you need to evolve?

vs. Byron:
Rival OHKOes Magneton with EQ as it takes Metal Sound.
EQ is a 2HKO on Steelix as it OHKOes back with Ice Fang.
*reset*

Attempt 2:
Rival OHKOes Magneton as it takes Metal Sound again.
Steelix uses Flash Cannon this time, taking Rival down to the red, as it 2HKOes.
Bastiodon barely survives EQ, but it uses Iron Defense instead of killing Rival.
Sitrus Berry means Byron doesn't heal so Bastiodon is KOed.

That was...much easier than it should have been thanks to terrible choices by the AI. I didn't even have to resort to using X Items. Next time, we get sidetracked with all the Surfing stuff (I just wanted Byron out of the way).

Pokemon: 5
Badges: 6
Resets/Losses: 6

Murasame the Scyther
Level: 36
Ability: Technician
Quiet Nature
Stats: 105/93/68/53/66/77
IVs: 24/20/14/13/10/11 (HP Bug 57)
-False Swipe
-Slash
-Wing Attack
-Fury Cutter

Hot damn Masamune is on fire. Despite having one usable attack the whole chapter it still managed to wreck everything (except those Bronzor) it faced. Including that level 40 Scizor. The restrictions are starting to get a bit annoying (most importantly, the fact that Masamune can't learn Roost), but compared to the rest of the team Masamune looks like gold.

Careful Nature
Stats: 121/86/57/54/59/67
-Growl
-X-Scissor
-Bug Bite
-Slash

Autotune is actually not bad. X-Scissor is a consistent STAB and Growl actually helps quite a bit since everything in this game so far is a physical attacker, or so it seems. Unlike Rival, Autotune's actually bulky too, so Masamune's restriction doesn't hurt too much, though at times it's back to going to the Pokemon Center after every battle.

Rival the Gabite
Level: 41
Rash Nature
Stats: 117/97/76/58/56/89
-Dragon Claw
-Dig
-Slash
-Earthquake
Solo Byron: yes

This was much much harder than I thought it would be, mainly due to just how frail Gible is as a Pokemon. That said, its power level didn't really going down, and it's really going to spike soon as it'll evolve again soon. Overall it wasn't actually bad, it just got moved down because holy shit that Byron solo.

Level: 38
Hardy Nature
Stats: 97/54/68/52/83/96
-Spark
-Return
-Super Fang
-Dig

Scaredy is the same old Scaredy. Super Fang actually bailed me out on multiple occasions, which just goes to show how weak the rest of the team is. Its bulk is still good but no longer premium. It did more than Wrestler, though that's not saying much.

Wrestler the Blissey
Bold Nature
Stats: 259/24/16/71/114/53
-Egg Bomb
-Refresh (unusable)
-Softboiled (unusable)
-DoubleSlap
Wrestler literally didn't participate in a single battle this chapter.
*exits gym, Barry yells at me for not having HM04*
Yeah I'll get on that...
...after all of this.

Last chapter I held off on exploration so I could get Rival's solo out of the way. This time, it's time to explore with Surf!

*Routes 219-221*
*Masamune and Autotune take turns OHKOing the two Tubers' mons*
I wasn't even overleveled. Or at least, not that overleveled.
*Masamune OHKOes three Goldeen, nearly OHKOes Seaking*
Its only STAB may be Wing Attack but damn does it wreck faces.
*Masamune wants to learn Double Team!*
*JK it doesn't lol restrictions*
As if it was gonna be useful anyways.

*Octillery uses Bullet Seed on Masamune, dealing 4 damage*
I'm sure you had a better option.

*Masamune OHKOes a Floatzel*
I think that's the first FE mon it's OHKOed. It's about time.

*a Swimmer has a Medicham*
...what? Well at least it's easy for Masamune.

*man on Route 221 wants to see an level 80 Pokemon*
...why didn't they make it so that levels 50+ are only given postgame?

*Masamune 2HKOes Lopunny through Charm*
I know I have to use mons other than Masamune at some point, but damn.

*Autotune Growls a Staraptor, Wrestler is barely not 2HKOed by -1 Take Down as Staraptor dies to recoil*
HOLY SHIT WRESTLER GOT A KILL. Of course, most of it was the recoil damage, but hey, it's a Blissey.

*next up, Route 213*

*Swimmer has three Gyarados*
And Scaredy can't fight any of them because restrictions! Hooray!
*Masamune damn near OHKOes one of them*
Then again, this might not be hard after all.

*loot: Gastrodon, Max Revive, Water Stone, Big Pearl*
Huh. I could have swore there was more on the route. Well there is, but I need Rock Climb for it.

*Eterna City loot: Golduck, Moon Stone*
*Route 204 loot: HP Up, Sea Incense, TM78 I forgot to pick up earlier*
*Ravaged Path loot: Luck Incense, TM03*
*Valley Windworks loot: Max Elixir, Electirizer, TM24*
*Fuego Ironworks loot: Magmar, Magnemite, Ultra Ball, Sitrus Berry, 4x Wepear Berry, Kelpsy Berry, Big Mushroom, Yellow Shard, Calcium, Protein, Red Shard, Blue Shard, Green Shard, Star Piece x2, Fire Stone, Rock Incense, TM35*
I just want to point out that the spinners are pretty trippy, but this looks exactly like the Temple puzzle in Ranger: Shadows of Almia (except that one didn't spin). And the one in Guardian Signs. RIP creativity.
*Scaredy OHKOes Magnemites with Dig*
At least it's not completely useless *looks at Wrestler*
*Floaroma Meadow loot: Honey x6, Leaf Stone, Hyper Potion, Max Revive, Full Heal, Rare Candy, Ultra Ball, PP Up, Miracle Seed, Revive*
*Route 208 has one Surf-locked trainer, Masamune mops him up easily*
*Route 209 loot: TM19*
*Route 214 loot: Rare Candy*
*Pastoria City loot: Mystic Water*
*Route 212 loot: Iron, Rose Incense, Lum Berry, Tomato Berry, TM84, Max Ether*

Now for some actual progress!
*Iron Island*

*picks up HM04*
Finally, Wrestler gets a reliable STAB option!
*Wrestler learned Strength*

*realizes I forgot to bring X-Items*
...shit. Wrestler will be needing those soon for her solo (incidentally, Iron Island contains the last Battle Girl in the game, according to Bulbapedia). Well I'll go buy them now, since there's something else I can do with HM04 now anyways.

*Veilstone City: Buying X-Defends, X-Attacks*
*Oreburgh Gate*

There's only one trainer here. And apparently he owns the only Riolu in the game. Apart from that egg from Riley.
*loot: TM31, Earth Plate, TM01*

Now, it's time to explore Iron Island in earnest.

*the place involves SO MUCH backtracking*
I don't just mean moving between rooms; within any one room all the items are in dead ends so you need to travel there and back to get them.

*Rival starts tearing shit up*
Now that it's not a Gible it actually has bulk too!

*Wrestler hits level 46, learns Double-Edge*
I'm just gonna note right here that I spent the entire chapter with an EXP Share on Wrestler, so it's not actually fighting anything. Well it fought that one Staraptor.

*Rival still can't OHKO Steelix*
Then again, I don't think any physical attacker in the game can do that.

*Rival outspeeds and OHKOes Riley's Lucario*
:O Though the surprise was mostly the outspeeding part. Though I guess I'm used to the super slow Gible.
*Rival levels up*
It's nice to not have to click B after every level-up anymore.

*Wrestler gets OHKOed at +1 Defense*
*reset*

...it looks like I may have to fish for hax here with HJK.
*as it turns out, I don't need to as Wrestler outspeeds and 2HKOes with Double-Edge as Medicham uselessly uses Calm Mind*
...that was much easier than expected. No X-Items needed.

*back to Barry*
blah blah cutscene *bomb explodes*
...so the bomb at Lake Valor was strong enough to be felt on the other side of Sinnoh? But somehow the bomb didn't affect anything but the lake itself? And it somehow dried up the lake?
...this really makes no sense.

*Lake Valor*

*vs. Team Galactic: Masamune OHKOes EVERYTHING*
Okay, the Golbat OHKO was because Wing Attack crit. But it's still pretty impressive.

vs. Saturn:
Masamune 2HKOes Golbat with Wing Attack.
Bronzor is immune to Scaredy's Dig and Iron Defenses up while I Super Fang twice.
Bronzor's Shadow Ball does 10 damage to Scaredy. Spark does even less to +4 Bronzor but paralyzes.
Shadow Ball gets an SpD drop as Spark barely fails to KO next turn, then Rock Tomb lowers Speed, as Scaredy finishes off Bronzor.
Autotune Growls Toxicroak as it is poisoned by Poison Jab.
Poison Jab 2HKOes.
Wrestler lands two Double-Edges as Toxicroak kills it with Poison Jab+Revenge (which probably would have OHKOed lel).
Masamune finishes Toxicroak with Slash, hits level 41 and learns X-Scissor, an actually useful move.

*Lake Verity*

*vs. Grunts: Masamune is Swaggered but is only confused for one turn*
...as if it needed more help lol

vs. Mars:
Masamune 2HKOes Golbat with Wing Attack and Bronzor with X-Scissor, but is confused by Confuse Ray.
Autotune is Faked Out, but Purugly misses Hypnosis as Autotune lands Growl.
Slash crits, KOing Autotune, but Masamune 2HKOes with Wing Attack.

So it's time to journey north to Snowpoint City. But first...

*contest time*
Yes, it's time for Autotune to go win a contest! But I don't have any poffins or anything, so it'll go in completely raw. Let's see how this works out lol

*enters Beauty contest, Normal rank*

Wait I actually have no accessories lol. Hopefully it doesn't matter?
*I get two stars here*
...shit. Well the dance and the moves should help even this, right?
*nope, I am not leading*

*I end up dead last*
Damn, this is really not a good moveset for contests. It seems that I'll need some Poffins after all.

*second attempt, this time I get more than ten hearts*
Okay, so this is going well.
*I lead after dance*
This is going pretty well.
*I win this time*

So now off to Pastoria.
*Autotune forgot Slash and learned Sing!*
This will come in handy later.

*Goes through Coronet uneventfully, grabs a bunch of items*
The highlight was a Soft Sand for Rival.

*snow is annoying to move around in*
Auto-hail is also pretty annoying. Especially since I have no Ice-type Pokemon.
*Golduck Disables instead of trying to KO Scaredy*
On the other hand, terrible AI might make this easier than it should be.

*Rival outspeeds and OHKOes Sneasel*
One down, two to go. This certainly isn't as bad as Byron.

The no healing items thing is annoying here, but thankfully there's a healing spot on Route 216 so I don't need to backtrack all the way back to Celestic Town.
*fights last trainer on Route 216*
Wait...there's only one trainer-owned Ice-type on this route? wtf
*next Route has a trainer with three Snover that Rival break through*
...and that's its evolution requirement done! The other, much more well-known requirement is, of course, being at level 48. That will be later.

So I just saw Maylene walking on top of the deep snow I just slowly waded through. Does this girl have magical powers or something?

*ambushed by Ninja Boy in the snow*
...how the hell am I supposed to find these guys? Everything looks like a big white blur on the screen.

*finds TM07: Hail*
Ahh, the irony.

*gets Spell Tag from girl, exits house, re-enters house, girl is gone*
I just thought this was a cool little thing they added.

*Black Belt has a Riolu*
...Bulbapedia you lied to me.

*Autotune barely survives Glalie's crit Ice Beam*
It also got outsped, but it's also outleveled because it spent the snow routes in the PC.
*Autotune learns Night Slash over Bug Bite*

vs. Candice:
Autotune KOes Sneasel with Growl --- X-Scissor as Sneasel fails to 2HKO with Aerial Ace.
Masamune does about half to Piloswine but is OHKOed by Stone Edge.
Rival finishes it with EQ.
Autotune OHKOes Abomasnow with X-Scissor.
So I don't actually have anything to beat Froslass. But I do have one secret weapon.
Wrestler manages to stall Froslass out of Blizzards before dying to Hail.
Rival hits EQ through Snow Cloak and +3 Evasion, it's a 2HKO through Sitrus Berry.
Rival takes a Shadow Ball, misses, takes another one, and hits for the KO.

Pokemon: 5
Badges: 7
Resets/Losses: 7 (actually took one more than Maylene lol)

Rival the Gabite @ Soft Sand
Level: 45
Rash Nature
Stats: 127/107/86/64/62/99
-Dragon Claw
-Dig
-Slash
-Earthquake
Solo Byron: yes
Ice-type solos: 3/3

Rival is actually really good now that it's not a Gible anymore. It actually outspeeds most of its opponents and Earthquake is the most powerful move on the team, especially when boosted by Soft Sand. I don't think I've seen a non-resist not be 2HKOed, and it OHKOed a few Snovers. The Ice-type solos were pretty easy and it actually did more than the required three.

Level: 44
Careful Nature
Stats: 137/97/64/62/66/77
-Growl
-X-Scissor
-Night Slash
-Slash

Autotune is deceptively strong since unlike Masamune, it can hit super-effectively. It's also not that bad in terms of bulk, and not being weak to Ice (unlike Masamune) really helped this chapter.

Masamune the Scyther
Level: 42
Ability: Technician
Quiet Nature
Stats: 122/110/78/63/77/91
IVs: 24/20/14/13/10/11 (HP Bug 57)
-False Swipe
-Slash
-Wing Attack
-X-Scissor

Masamune still hits really hard, but the type matchups this chapter were not kind to it. Also, it forced me to run back to the healing lodge after nearly every battle on Route 216. It wasn't bad, but Autotune just did more this chapter.

Level: 43
Hardy Nature
Stats: 110/62/77/66/93/109
-Spark
-Return
-Super Fang
-Dig

Scaredy wasn't really used at all but it did pretty well in the snowy routes. Its bulk is still good, but its offenses are really becoming terrible. Its main role in major battles is to Super Fang stuff for Rival and Masamune.

Wrestler the Blissey
Level: 50
Bold Nature
Stats: 332/35/23/94/146/74
-Egg Bomb
-Strength
-Softboiled (unusable)
-Double-Edge
Wrestler's role as a catchall special wall that doesn't do anything helped against Candice, and it actually soloed that one Battle Girl with some luck. Despite that, it was still terrible for much of the chapter.

Note: I ran into the word limit. The updates are continued here.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Post 12000!

AOPSUser, take Rival the Gible! Rival is rivals with its counterpart, Axew, in Unova. It wants to distinguish itself from the single-typed dragon, and this means that whenever it enters a battle, it may not use a Dragon-type move the first turn it's out.

Additionally, Haxorus has the word "hax" in it. Can't have that now, can we? Rival may not use any moves that have less than 100% Accuracy or have a chance of otherwise failing.

Solo Byron to evolve into Gabite. Rival wants to show it can beat Steel-types.

Finally, Rival thinks that unlike the Axew family, it can withstand the bitter cold... That's right. Solo 3 Trainer owned Ice-types to get Garchomp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)