The UU Viablity Rankings topic.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Maybe Claydol should be higher up. Even if the Rank D is shrinking, I believe it should be higher, simply as it is such a good rapid spinner. Immunity to spikes and toxic spikes (albeit rare in UU) makes it one of the best rapid spinner, not to mention a great ability. Whilst it isd largely outclassed by Donphan, it has the ability to wall both Rock and Fighting types, and can beat SubPunch Aggron, another Donphan is unable to do.
Good point. I think Fross really hurt Claydol but now that she's gone I can see him rising.

Just putting my two cents in; Kabutops is a pretty bad ass sweeper without rain also. I used him a few stages back. He may not be as effective as he used to be because of all the now +spd base 80s and toxicroak running around, but he still hits hard and can destroy teams.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Any reason you mentioned Kabutops and Luddicolo twice?

Anyway, I'm surprised that Uxie and Qwilfish in particular are so high while Clefable, Torterra, Mesprit, and Tangrowth are so low.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Any reason you mentioned Kabutops and Luddicolo twice?

Anyway, I'm surprised that Uxie and Qwilfish in particular are so high while Clefable, Torterra, Mesprit, and Tangrowth are so low.

My mistake.
-Torterra should definetely move up. It can run a variety of sets (each more deadly than the last) Definite B-A tier pokemon.

-Clefable (no idea) I figured she should be near Chansey but it's pretty damn versatile. Possibly B tier?

-Tangrowth again no idea. It's one of the best physical sponges in the entire game and can hit hard on both ends of the spectrum. It's also awesome under the sun. Possible B/A tier?

-Mesprit : I don't use it much but from what i've seen it's pretty damn powerful/versatile. B tier?

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My two cents.

Torterra should be middle B at best.
Clefable should be lower ... from my experience it should be just below Altaria
Mesprit could be just under Gatr

I think Alakazam should move up to A tier, it's like the special Rhyperior of the meta. It's extremely versatile capable of running Specs, Scarf, DS Lead, Offensive Taunt Lead, Calm Mind, Calm Mind + Encore, etc...I've sweeped a ridiculous amount of teams with it.

Although I'm prepared for everyone to attack me with disagreement....

Well, i only disagree when you compare Rhyperior to Alakazam.
Like, Alakazam speed is somewhat higher, i guess. And i believe Rhyperior can take some hits.

Other than that, i also think Alakazam is A tier, since it walks over any team without priority or Spiritomb (ok, not every team).

Base 55 HP and base 45 defense aren't saving it though...(it does have base 85 SpDef)Compare to Rhyperior's defenses of 115/130/55.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
My two cents.

Torterra should be middle B at best.
Clefable should be lower ... from my experience it should be just below Altaria
Mesprit could be just under Gatr
Can do. (Tiers aren't in any order)

I think Alakazam should move up to A tier, it's like the special Rhyperior of the meta. It's extremely versatile capable of running Specs, Scarf, DS Lead, Offensive Taunt Lead, Calm Mind, Calm Mind + Encore, etc...I've sweeped a ridiculous amount of teams with it.

Although I'm prepared for everyone to attack me with disagreement....
I am agreement of this. People are hardpressed to stop it often times due to it's blistering speed.

Well what I wanted to compare between them was that they both have the highest attack stats in UU. They both hit like trucks right off the bat.

Though I guess something like special Hitmonlee would make more sense, since they're both glass cannons.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It really hurts for Jynx to have such embarrassingly bad defense in a tier with so much priority. Also, if you want a strong special attacker with no useful resistances, Alakazam is the way to go.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
..okay. Since it's apparent that everyone will want their "favorites" moved up until nothing exists in any rank below C, I'm going to try to introduce some objectivity into these proceedings.

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outclassed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely outclassed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who are simply not very effective in the current metagame.

Some examples of the above. These are just my (educated) opinion, but they should give you an example of what I interpret the ranks to mean:

S Rank: Milotic (Defensive), Registeel (Defensive), Uxie (Support), Venusaur (Versatile)
A Rank: Moltres (Offensive), Donphan (Defensive), Clefable (Support), Rotom (Versatile)
B Rank: Magmortar (Offensive), Slowbro/king (Defensive), Dugtrio (Support)
C Rank: Charizard (Offensive), Tangrowth (Defensive), Venomoth (Support)
D Rank: Nidoking (Offensive), Bastiodon (Defensive), Wigglytuff (Support)

Thoughts? I'm open to debate on most of this, but I think it's vital for us to establish some objective criteria if we want this to be a serious thread.

breh

強いだね
I feel that cradily should be in B rank. Although I realize it needs support, the only support it needs is hippopotas. After that, if it has curse and rest (DO NOT RUN RECOVER ON CURSEDILY), no matter what else it's running, it's going to be a pain to take out. The only thing that can really do anything to it is haze milotic (which struggles to do much with ice beam due to sandstorm, while cradily hurts it quite badly in return if it has seed bomb, which hits its weaker defense) or a rain dance team (which is already slightly screwed over by the fact that hippopotas is present). Trick alakazam and uxie are also problematic, but quite easy to eliminate with pursuit.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
..okay. Since it's apparent that everyone will want their "favorites" moved up until nothing exists in any rank below C, I'm going to try to introduce some objectivity into these proceedings.

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outclassed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely outclassed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who are simply not very effective in the current metagame.

Some examples of the above. These are just my (educated) opinion, but they should give you an example of what I interpret the ranks to mean:

S Rank: Milotic (Defensive), Registeel (Defensive), Uxie (Support), Venusaur (Versatile)
A Rank: Moltres (Offensive), Donphan (Defensive), Clefable (Support), Rotom (Versatile)
B Rank: Magmortar (Offensive), Slowbro/king (Defensive), Dugtrio (Support)
C Rank: Charizard (Offensive), Tangrowth (Defensive), Venomoth (Support)
D Rank: Nidoking (Offensive), Bastiodon (Defensive), Wigglytuff (Support)

Thoughts? I'm open to debate on most of this, but I think it's vital for us to establish some objective criteria if we want this to be a serious thread.
Oh wow, we could totally use that. (BTW isn't Venomoth offensive?)
The first page needs a revamp anyway.
Will edit ASAP.

I'm sorry but as someone who does a number of multi-character games competitively, a tier list will always be formed. Honestly thats what this is. Maybe people conceptions of what a tier list is and what it means are wrong, but this is a tier list under the guise of another system. Tiers do not have to mean banned or broken, it's just a ranking system. Might as well call it what the rest of competitive gaming communities call it.

As far as the lists themselves go, you have Cradily on B and C. It's a C rank IMO
Also I would put Claydol on B rank with the grain of salt being I haven't played UU or pokemon in about 5 months

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I reckon Articuno should be on that list somewhere, probably C or D tier. Some may say Moltres outclass it, and in a sense, yes, but there are Pokemon that Moltres will have trouble stalling and Articuno laughs at them (See: Bulky Waters). Articuno's fantastic defenses also mean it can take neutral hits better than Moltres can as well.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd say Articuno is a perfect example of a Rank C Pokemon. Crippling flaws (horrendous typing, being walled by registeel) prevent it from executing its strategy, but it can nonetheless be effective.

I really don't think these rain sweepers should be in the top rank. At best they should be in rank A, as they do require some support and have flaws (ie. they are completely worthless outside of rain)

The gorbysses and qwilfishes of the world should be in B at the highest IMO. They are good under rain but they do not sweep a "significant portion." Under rain they are used mostly to weaken and get the ball rolling so Ludicolo or Kabutops can come in later and finish off your team. Plus, outside of rain, Gorbyss is completely useless and set up bait. At least qwilfish can explode and has some uses spike wise.

I think you are being way too nice to the rain guys.

I mean shit, Exxecutor under sun is just as scary as Gorbyss under rain is and I don't see it anywhere near it...

I agree.

And if rain is so threatening that its sweepers are so high up, then Electrode should be A rank because it's the one that gets the ball rolling anyway, but it obviously shouldn't because it's kinda useless outside of a lead anyway. Out of the rain sweepers I find only Kabutops is consistently effective outside of Rain, either as a lead or SD sweeper. Kabutops should be A, with Ludicolo at B and Fish/Gorebyss at C imo.

I feel that Altaria is more of a B ranked Poke.
she has multiple sets, can force a lot of switches, and can fairly reliably set up. she also doesn't have any glaring weakness, outside of SR, and can fit on a lot of teams(I find the RestTalk/DD/Outrage set to be particularly effective on many teams).

the Rain sweepers all need bumped down; Kabutops is an A because he is one of the best in Rain, but also functions decently as a lead/SD sweeper. Ludicolo is B, because he has a few great sets in the Rain, but is fairly useless outside of it(see: Shrifty in the sun, etc.) Gorebyss is solid in the rain, but sucks completely outside of it, and therefore deserves a C. 'fishy would probably get a B from me, since he's very good in the rain but also has minor niches outside of it; a C would be fine, though.

I don't think Moltres should be S Tier. S Tier is for Pokemon that need little or no support, and Moltres doesn't qualify for that, as to use him at his best, you need to spin rocks away, possibly run a Taunt lead to stop early rocks, etc. If you don't cover rocks for him, then he's just plain not good for S Tier, since he's very often losing 50% of his health just for switching in.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Moltres is definitely S rank worthy. SR really pisses it off, yes, but its power far outweighs that inconvenience. SR IMO is one of factors making sure he is balanced

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)