Online Competition Tiny Tourney [NOW ON SHOWDOWN]

Has anyone messed with Shedinja yet? I know Audino and Passimian aren't allowed in the competition but is there a way to utilize Shedinja that isn't just to confuse my opponent in Team Preview?

edit: Did actual research on Receiver and Power of Alchemy and its unfortunate that they don't work, but if I don't see weather or hazards, I'm sure there's a way I can use Shedinja somewhere.

Last edited:
Has anyone messed with Shedinja yet? I know Audino and Passimian aren't allowed in the competition but is there a way to utilize Shedinja that isn't just to confuse my opponent in Team Preview?
I feel like Shedinja isn't really reliable enough to work well. The power level in this isn't that low in this meta to where shedinja would be that much better. And there's some common things that can deal with it like Chandelure, Exca(especially if paired with sand), Random hp fires ppl run for Kartana.

Besides using it for team preview mindgames, I think the best way to use it in this format would maybe be Soak. Idk how many viable soakers there are, wishiwashi is cool i guess. Kartana and Amoong are very common though so you'd need to be able to deal with those really well.

Are people running Jolly or Adamant Hawlucha?

Jolly seems like such a waste because of Unburden, but Hawlucha also needs Jolly to outspeed +Speed Kartana/Azelf. Kartana isn't so much of an issue 1v1 (although you might want to outspeed if Kartana is threatening Hawlucha's partner). However, Hawlucha gets OHKO'd by Azelf's Psychic, so outspeeding Azelf from the get go seems imperative.

Everywhere I'm looking for team suggestions and builds, I'm honestly surprised that Sneasel is not seeing very much discussion, as it has so many positives for this tournament.

It's one of the fastest Sash users, and I want to say the fastest Fake Out that's legal, while being immune to flinch itself. It's power output is very low, but it compensates by using Knock Off and Taunt with Fake Out to cripple leads or scout out potential Scarfers and the like.

There seems to be almost no serious enough drawbacks to not consider running it on a team besides lo-key power.

Everywhere I'm looking for team suggestions and builds, I'm honestly surprised that Sneasel is not seeing very much discussion, as it has so many positives for this tournament.

It's one of the fastest Sash users, and I want to say the fastest Fake Out that's legal, while being immune to flinch itself. It's power output is very low, but it compensates by using Knock Off and Taunt with Fake Out to cripple leads or scout out potential Scarfers and the like.

There seems to be almost no serious enough drawbacks to not consider running it on a team besides lo-key power.
I was considering Sneasel but after really scrutinizing i dont like all the weaknessess that come with it...bug, fire and steel being the most concerning. I just dont see how its positives outweigh its negatives.

The competition registration has started. Sadly, I'm afraid I won't be able to compete as much due to my Yosemite trip taking until Saturday. At least I'll be able to squeeze 3 battles for the mega stones.

I'm hype for this competition, but I need an adamant Kartana. If anyone's interested in trading please message me.

If I can't get a Kartana, I play to have fun with the competition and run some unorthodox stuff.

Trying to get started with this tournament, but the Battle Spot says there's something wrong with one or more of my Pokemon. Can anyone see anything wrong with this? Showdown doesn't say there's anything wrong.

edit: Figured it out.

Last edited:
Marill ^^
skill: sap sipper
item: eviolite
amnesia
defense curl
aqua ring
toxic

Togekiss
skill: serene grace
item: light ball
light screen
reflect
air slash
roost

Lucario
skill: justified
item: salac berry
sword dance
substitute
estreme speed
High Jump Kick
now... What other pokemon can I put on this team that arent fairy for UU?
Azumarill is legal, so you can use that. Both Togekiss and Lucario are too tall. In general, the strategies for these mons are lackluster (sorry foe negativity).

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mmm... let me see... azumarill is in OU (BL) so its banned for UU... Togekiss and Lucario are in UU, so they´re ok. i dont understand u... im doing a team for UU, no for OU. however thank u
Hey there Kai Rafael and welcome to Smogon!

I'm not quite sure you understand what this competition is. It simply restricts Pokemon that are taller than 1m, it does not take Smogon tiers into account. If "using only UU Pokemon in this competition" is a self-imposed restriction you've created then I have to tell you that no one here is really interested in helping with that.

If you've posted in the wrong section by mistake I'll happily delete your posts and point you in the right direction. However, considering you're trying to use Toxic stall Marill, Light Ball Togekiss, and SubSalac Lucario I suspect you're just a little bit new. If you have any questions feel free to start a conversation with me by clicking on my username.

Do I have any glaring holes that I'll have trouble covering?
Mimikyu: jolly@z-fairy
Ability: disguise
-swords dance
-shadow claw
-play rough
-taunt

Togedumaru: jolly@air balloon
Ability: lightning rod
-fake out
-zing zap
-spiky shield
-encore

Azelf: naive@focus sash
Ability: levitate
-psychic
-flamethrower
-knock off
-protect

Marowak: adamant@thick club
-shadow bone
-fire blast
-bonemerang
-protect

Azumaril: adamant@sitrus berry
Ability: huge power
-belly drum
-aqua jet
-play rough
-super power

Sylveon: modest@choice specs
Ability: pixilate
-hyper voice
-hp fire
-dazzling gleam
-shadow ball / trick

I made the team up mostly of what I had already with a couple of changes. Mimikyu is there if I need a taunt lead but otherwise togedemaru and azumaril are main leads with fake out and belly drum, simple but effective, if I find that I'm getting countered a lot on belly drum then I'll switch to sylveon for offensive lead to hyper voice holes into them as one of their leads gets faked out. Azelf is currently the only Pokemon I have got from scratch for this team (although I did breed a timid rotom but have but aside for azelf) and is my main kartana counter, whom I'm guessing will be around a lot! Marowak is backup for all the grass types that could be around. I'm not really protected against spore, will that hurt me and what is the oricorio / ribombee combo iv seen a couple of times?

I made the team up mostly of what I had already with a couple of changes. Mimikyu is there if I need a taunt lead but otherwise togedemaru and azumaril are main leads with fake out and belly drum, simple but effective, if I find that I'm getting countered a lot on belly drum then I'll switch to sylveon for offensive lead to hyper voice holes into them as one of their leads gets faked out. Azelf is currently the only Pokemon I have got from scratch for this team (although I did breed a timid rotom but have but aside for azelf) and is my main kartana counter, whom I'm guessing will be around a lot! Marowak is backup for all the grass types that could be around. I'm not really protected against spore, will that hurt me and what is the oricorio / ribombee combo iv seen a couple of times?
Marowak, put Flare Blitz on it, Fire Blast isn't going anywhere.
Sylveon doesn't learn Trick, Dazzling Gleam is useless. Swap Gleam for Moonblast, in case of Wide Guard (Toxapex and such). Psyshock is the usual 4th move on Specs Sylveon to hit Poison types.

Oricorio + Ribombee uses Quiver Dance on Ribombee, which is copied by Oricorio (Dancer), and the bird gets a buffed Revelation Dance. Ribombee can also heal allies which is neat sometimes.

Mimikyu: jolly@z-fairy
Ability: disguise
-swords dance
-shadow claw
-play rough
-taunt

Togedumaru: jolly@air balloon
-fake out
-zing zap
-spiky shield
-encore

Azelf: naive@focus sash
Ability: levitate
-psychic
-flamethrower
-knock off
-protect

Marowak: adamant@thick club
-shadow bone
-fire blast
-bonemerang
-protect

Azumaril: adamant@sitrus berry
Ability: huge power
-belly drum
-aqua jet
-play rough
-super power

Sylveon: modest@choice specs
Ability: pixilate
-hyper voice
-hp fire
-dazzling gleam
-shadow ball / trick

Biggest problem with this team: no Evs. You may wanna add some of those.

In my case, this is the team I got ready for the tourney. Still the basic Trick Room idea I had at first but with some glaring changes.

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Atk / 236 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Will-O-Wisp

Now, Mimikyu is my only Trick Room setter. I noticed that once Trick Rom wears off, the battle is already lopsided in favour of someone, so much that the turn order does not really matter - hence why I dropped Porygon2. It also provides important burn support.

EV spread ensures Excadrill's Iron Head never OHKOes and that same mon's Tectonic Rage has a less than 50% chance of OHKOing (though with Intimidate support this can become moot). Rest in Attack for a little more punch.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Def
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

The physical wallbreaker, Marowak has Rock Head instead of Lightning Rod due to the much weaker Electric offense here compared to VGC. It also allows me to use Flare Blitz as desired, instead of doubting whether it's a good idea or not.

The set is a mostly standard one, with EVs taken out of Attack to be put on Defense so that Alolan Muk's Knock Off never OHKOes (so that Marowak can do something before being taken out in that case, as useless a a Thick Club-less Marowak can be).

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Clear Smog
- Protect

Muk mostly takes care of Ghosts, Psychics and Fairies with its typing and STAB moves. It originally had Shadow Sneak over Clear Smog but Muk is very fast under Trick Room (so priority was mostly unnecessary), while Clear Smog gives me another countermeasure over EeveePass and other gimmicks.

Gluttony and the EV spread makes sure Charcoal Torkoal's Eruption never 2HKOes after eating the Figy Berry.

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Drain Punch / Brick Break
- Protect

Scraggy replaces the secondary Trick Room setter I had - Porygon2. I often found myself not needing Porygon's capabilities and I instead desired to have something that prevented double-targeting on Mimikyu. That's where Scraggy shows up. Intimidate already does a good deal at annoying physical attackers (like the dreaded Mold Breaker Excadrill) while Fake Out lets me reduce pressure on the Trick Room-setting turn.

Snarl, kind of like that abomination called Arcanine does in VGC, lets Scraggy also reduce the power of special attackers, and it's used over moves like Foul Play or Knock Off because... well... my good Dittos are not in ORAS. (And Foul Play is counterproducing with Intimidate)

The Eviolite and the EV spread makes sure Scraggy is not 2HKOed by a -1 Kartana's Sacred Sword. The rest on Special Defense for some mixed bulk.

I could move 16 Special Defense EVs to Defense so that Mimikyu's -1 Play Rough never OHKOes Scraggy, but it's already a very low chance of OHKO to be worth the hassle.

Wishiwashi-School @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 212 HP / 140 Def / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Wishiwashi works as the team's spread attacker (and annoyer) with Muddy Water. It's a pretty straightforward set, similar to the one it uses in VGC, but with Hidden Power Fire over Scald because Kartana.

The EV spread makes sure Ferrothorn's Power Whip does not bring Wishiwashi below 25%, but the Sitrus Berry already does its job. Perhaps I can do a blitzing EV retraining for more Special Attack and just avoid the OHKO. There don't seem to be any other relevant benchmarks to avoid breaking Schooling.

Lurantis @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpA / 44 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hyper Beam
- Protect

This Lurantis set is based on that niche Breakneck Blitz set some Serperior have in OU. Same principle, same moves... except on Lurantis, of course.

The idea behind the set is quite obvious - spam Leaf Storm, use Hidden Power Fire on Steels, and Breakneck Blitz on everything else bar Chandelure, which is essentially untouchable by this set if lacking a boost or two.

EV spread ensures Chandelure's Heat Wave never OHKOes (assuming Lurantis's partner does not Protect)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In my case, this is the team I got ready for the tourney. Still the basic Trick Room idea I had at first but with some glaring changes.

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Atk / 236 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Will-O-Wisp

Now, Mimikyu is my only Trick Room setter. I noticed that once Trick Rom wears off, the battle is already lopsided in favour of someone, so much that the turn order does not really matter - hence why I dropped Porygon2. It also provides important burn support.

EV spread ensures Excadrill's Iron Head never OHKOes and that same mon's Tectonic Rage has a less than 50% chance of OHKOing (though with Intimidate support this can become moot). Rest in Attack for a little more punch.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Atk / 44 Def
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

The physical wallbreaker, Marowak has Rock Head instead of Lightning Rod due to the much weaker Electric offense here compared to VGC. It also allows me to use Flare Blitz as desired, instead of doubting whether it's a good idea or not.

The set is a mostly standard one, with EVs taken out of Attack to be put on Defense so that Alolan Muk's Knock Off never OHKOes (so that Marowak can do something before being taken out in that case, as useless a a Thick Club-less Marowak can be).

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Clear Smog
- Protect

Muk mostly takes care of Ghosts, Psychics and Fairies with its typing and STAB moves. It originally had Shadow Sneak over Clear Smog but Muk is very fast under Trick Room (so priority was mostly unnecessary), while Clear Smog gives me another countermeasure over EeveePass and other gimmicks.

Gluttony and the EV spread makes sure Charcoal Torkoal's Eruption never 2HKOes after eating the Figy Berry.

Scraggy @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Drain Punch / Brick Break
- Protect

Scraggy replaces the secondary Trick Room setter I had - Porygon2. I often found myself not needing Porygon's capabilities and I instead desired to have something that prevented double-targeting on Mimikyu. That's where Scraggy shows up. Intimidate already does a good deal at annoying physical attackers (like the dreaded Mold Breaker Excadrill) while Fake Out lets me reduce pressure on the Trick Room-setting turn.

Snarl, kind of like that abomination called Arcanine does in VGC, lets Scraggy also reduce the power of special attackers, and it's used over moves like Foul Play or Knock Off because... well... my good Dittos are not in ORAS. (And Foul Play is counterproducing with Intimidate)

The Eviolite and the EV spread makes sure Scraggy is not 2HKOed by a -1 Kartana's Sacred Sword. The rest on Special Defense for some mixed bulk.

I could move 16 Special Defense EVs to Defense so that Mimikyu's -1 Play Rough never OHKOes Scraggy, but it's already a very low chance of OHKO to be worth the hassle.

Wishiwashi-School @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 212 HP / 140 Def / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Wishiwashi works as the team's spread attacker (and annoyer) with Muddy Water. It's a pretty straightforward set, similar to the one it uses in VGC, but with Hidden Power Fire over Scald because Kartana.

The EV spread makes sure Ferrothorn's Power Whip does not bring Wishiwashi below 25%, but the Sitrus Berry already does its job. Perhaps I can do a blitzing EV retraining for more Special Attack and just avoid the OHKO. There don't seem to be any other relevant benchmarks to avoid breaking Schooling.

Lurantis @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpA / 44 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hyper Beam
- Protect

This Lurantis set is based on that niche Breakneck Blitz set some Serperior have in OU. Same principle, same moves... except on Lurantis, of course.

The idea behind the set is quite obvious - spam Leaf Storm, use Hidden Power Fire on Steels, and Breakneck Blitz on everything else bar Chandelure, which is essentially untouchable by this set if lacking a boost or two.

EV spread ensures Chandelure's Heat Wave never OHKOes (assuming Lurantis's partner does not Protect)
full trick room with only one setter seems pretty shaky to me. maybe replace Lurantis with a second setter?

Anyone considered Krokorok? Utility mon with Atk/SpA reduction on a team that otherwise has none. I don't think its outclassed by Growlithe though it might be outclassed by Herdier or Mightyena, though it has Foul Play over both of them and Eviolite over the latter. Thoughts? Too bad Torracat isn't real yet because it would absolutely be in this spot instead.

Krokorok @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Snarl
- Taunt
- Protect

Marowak, put Flare Blitz on it, Fire Blast isn't going anywhere.
Sylveon doesn't learn Trick, Dazzling Gleam is useless. Swap Gleam for Moonblast, in case of Wide Guard (Toxapex and such). Psyshock is the usual 4th move on Specs Sylveon to hit Poison types.

Oricorio + Ribombee uses Quiver Dance on Ribombee, which is copied by Oricorio (Dancer), and the bird gets a buffed Revelation Dance. Ribombee can also heal allies which is neat sometimes.
This is why I shouldn't post before bed and without it in front of me!.. Marowak does have flare blitz and sylveon does have psyshock and not dazzling gleam (the most pointless move on sylveon since hyper voice is a much stronger version)... Shame about trick though, I thought I saw that it could but may have got mixed up with the fact that I was looking at heat room with a scarf for a while before I soft reset azelf. I did on the battle spot come up against oricorio and ribombee but the match up was good for me as I had Marowak and azelf on the field so got rid of them before I could see what they do or how strong they get.... I may have to Check their post dance stats and see if azelf can cope with 1 or both of them.
Biggest problem with this team: no Evs. You may wanna add some of those.
Marowak : hp118 - at252 - sp140
Mimikyu : hp4 - at252 - sp252
Togedemaru : at252 - sdef4 - sp252
Sylveon : hp248 - spat252 - sp8
Azumaril : hp244 - at252 - def4 - sdef8
Azelf : at8 - satk248 - sp252
As mentioned only azelf has been trained for this comp and if I get time to crunch numbers I could change his but at the moment as long as he out speeds kartana then I'm happy. Most others are faily basic.. Azu hp so that sitrus berry activates after drum and Maro out speeds Base 70 but not sure how that helps him specifically for this comp

full trick room with only one setter seems pretty shaky to me. maybe replace Lurantis with a second setter?
Yeah, I know, but Porygon2 (my only other readily-available setter) causes an item conflict with Scraggy, and the few other ones I've tried in Showdown never really gave me a reason to lead with them instead of Mimikyu.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronise
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

thoughts as a bulky mon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)