ORAS OU To the Beginning

With SUMO approaching in less then a month, I believe we should take a step back and reflect back on ORAS. Even though people have gave it slack, I believe it has been a very promising metagame, and was very enjoyable to play at least for me. Sure it has/had some bad qualities, but what hasn't?

My name is Isza, and I'm relatively new to Smogon, as well as the tournament scene. I played in this years OLT only to reach up to round 4, being eliminated by ABR. I want to showcase one of my favorite ORAS teams which I had brought vs him in playoffs, as a tribute to what I believe has been an amazing metagame.

Ruiner (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt/Psyshock
- Focus Blast​

- Functioning as the main wall breaker of the team I wanted to build around, Gardevoir plays an important role in breaking the more fatter balance builds. Hyper Voice is main stab, which hits insanely hard due to its very high special attack+ Pixilate. Focus blast+ HP fire take care of Steels such as Heatran, Ferrothorn, SpD Skarmory, and especially Scizor who might think they can switch in and roost off. I have taunt as last move for emergencies such as taunting Set up mons, but its completely up to preference. Psyshock can also be used in the last slot and maybe even Protect if you want to pursuit scout.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock
- Not really much to say here. Landorus serves as my defensive pivot, and physical wall on the team. Serving as my rock setter, I have HP Fire for Mega Scizor to take pressure off Keld, and Stone edge to hit Talon. It has a bit of special attack investment on it so that I can deal decent Damage Mega Scizor, with a relaxed nature so I don't decrease evs in any other stats besides speed. You can also run U turn over Stone edge for momentum, but then Talonflame becomes a bit of an issue itself.

SORU (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- I wanted a spiker to go well with Gardevoir as well as switch into the Lati twins, and Klefki was a perfect option. Dual status helps me slow down threats, while being able to toxic annoying things like tangrowth, Lando, and Rotom on switch in. Flash Cannon helps me check diancie as well as do something vs Clefable, and spikes just to build up damage to help Gard pressure easier.

Jet Lag (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf
- Roost​

- Primarily the Keldeo switch in/water resist on this team, I decided to go with a 3 attacks + roost set on this Latios the reason why I don't run hazard removal is because spike stack+removal is really redundant, and nothing on my team is really weak to hazards so I keep it. Psychic hits Clefable harder since bold is very common now, and Surf is so that I'm able to hit Heatran while Draco is main stab. Roost keeps it healthy for later use.

Isa (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Toxic/Endeavor​

- I needed something else as a dark resist to check Weavile and Bisharp, so Keldeo was overall the best option. A choice scarf set is used to have speed control, since the rest of my team isn't all that fast. All the moves here are really standard outside of toxic, which is used to hit thinks such as Lati twins, Tangrowth, and Slowbro/Slowking on the switch. Endeavor can also be used in the last slot over toxic for emergency situations.

Madara (Bisharp) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Not only is Bisharp one of my favorite Pokemon, but it was also a perfect addition for this team. With spike stack+ Bisharp, this can prevent your opponent from defogging due to defiant, which can be extremely dangerous. Lum berry helps me set up against things like Rotom Wash, Mega Sableye, and helps with unwanted status such as an emergency Thunder wave from Thundurus in an effort to prevent a sweep.

Threatlist-

Fast Electrics: Electric such as Manatric, Thundurus, and Raikou give this team trouble, seeing as you have to pivot to latios almost every time. Bisharp is able to revenge or deal a chunk of damage against all of them, and Gardevoir takes a hit and ko's all back otherwise.
Serperior
: Sub Serperior is a bit of an issue, seeing if it has Dragon Pulse Latios is basically as good as gone. When Serperior comes in, I suggest Harding to Klefki to Thunder Wave if you don't want damage on anything else.

Tornadus-T
: I don't have a real "Flying resist" in the case when facing this Pokemon due to the fact Klefki can just get heat waved and Lando is 2hko'd by Hurricane. Rocks need to be up or this Pokemon can be very annoying for the team.

Shout outs-

Tug- MrAldo rozes tko Feliburn Watchog Kushalos Arifeen- This is probably my favorite place, all of you are great and made my RU experience extremely fun. I appreciate you guys.

German Friends: Liones, Leru AdvanceShip Get this Money Freestylerking Ice Tea Obliviate - The Germans are probably the only community I have had a positive interaction with so far, I love you guys <3

Testers: Threw Blackoblivion- when I needed help testing teams and I had no friends you guys were always there for me. I won't forget that ever.

Anime Chat - FLCL Memoric -Tsunami- Poek97 Pearl Celysi - You all have great taste and helped me get into anime more (Kurume is still best girl)

Other people I can't categorize but should be mentioned- Finchinator Star., Analytic Elise Sacri' Matame Valentine Sabella ABR I appreciate all the support you guys have given me, and continue to give me. All of you are extremely cool :D.

Madara (Bisharp) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Ruiner (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Isa (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Toxic

SORU (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

Jet Lag (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Replays -
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-430572956 - Ladder before changes

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-204826 - OLT R4 (note I messed up this end game, but you can generally see how this is tailored to take on fatter builds)

I advise all new Tournament players who are trying to make it here on Smogon, to be yourself and try your best! Somewhere along the line you will be rewarded :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
No one has posted a rate on this team yet? Hm.

I never really got the point of putting / slashes in RMTs. When you load up the team, do you just flip a coin to decide which move to use? Because in my experiences, these small changes have dynamic results in practice.

Anyways -- using Gardevoir with SR and Spike stacking is pretty good, especially considering that Gardevoir deters Mega Sableye! I really like that. However, I'm struggling to pinpoint how this teams plays by merely looking at it - is it bulky offense, or heavy offensive? Landorus-T and Klefki and Roost Latios can be fat, but I feel like this team is kind of a faster one overall, right?

It's important to ask because it kind of dictates where I go from here.

First, the minor nitpicks:

Are you sure you need Hidden Power [Fire] on Gardevoir? Landorus-T lure is probably enough to stop Scizor, and I feel like with this build you really lose out on breaking walls tbh since Psyshock is pretty important for hitting Venu / Amo / Chansey / etc. and you also need Taunt or CM to smack them with. If Fire is that important I would just drop Focus Blast then since you really need the dual STAB and the Taunt / CM a lot -- I wouldn't put that kind of pressure on Bisharp.

I feel like Foul Play over Toxic might be a reasonable option on Klefki to give you even further insurance against SD Mega Scizor, especially given that despite Landorus-T and Gardevoir carrying HP Fire that a Scizor sweep is not unreasonable during lategame if Landorus has been worn down (such a utility Pokemon like Landorus finds itself worn out a lot between all the Excadrills and Talonflames it is forced to switch into).

Toxic / Endeavor Keldeo looks pretty... strange? You say you're using it to hit Lati@s, but I feel like being locking into Toxic is never a good thing, and you have Klefki, Bisharp, and Gardevoir, all three of which are pretty strudy answers to Lati@s as it is. It does seem like a pretty neat way to punish Slowbro or Tangs, though, but Bisharp / Gardevoir should wallbreak good enough for this to not be mandatory. Hidden Power [Electric] seems like the most superior option to me. This way, Gyarados doesn't set up for free (which is 100% a threat btw if Klefki is removed since your only out to it is literally Thunder Wave). However, it might be reasonable to keep Toxic on Keldeo if you chose to run Foul Play on Klefki.

///

Aside from those minor nitpicks, the only thing I am really debating is whether or not you should stick with Latios or if you should change into Latias with Healing Wish on it. Both are pretty good on this team for different reasons - obviously 3 attack Latios is good for damage + switching into Keldeo, but haivng Latias allows you to recycle Gardevoir, Bisharp, Scarf Keldeo, pretty much anything, which is all good in its own right because it can literally revive the necessary win conditions.

Since both are good options, I'm not going to really push either, but I wanted to mention it in case you hadn't thought of it yet. Healing Wish to Gardevoir is very good and helps put the pressure on that threat list since you rely on Gardevoir to live a hit and OHKO back for some of them. At the same time - Latios's damage output combined with the hazard stack is pretty amazing as a standalone.

Thanks for sharing this team! I really like it!

Hey Isza, Infernal Warrior/erica pinto here. I really loved your team and since i'm still playing some games in the ORAS ladder, i've decided to try it out and is fun, made some team similar to yours, had Luke > Bisha, Ferro > Klef and some slight set changes, this kind of team is pretty standard but is also very fun.

But tell me more about your Gardevoir, isn't HP Fire pretty pointless on her? Focus Blast does the same damage to steels that are neutral to hit and are hit super effectively by hp fire, i've decided to use wisp here because it stills screw Scizor as you have to hit in on the switch anyway and cripples more foes and after losing a game because the opponent had Amoonguss and i lacked Psyshock, i've decided to forget the idea of running wisp + protect there. Why modest nature on your Gardevoir too? I thought that Timid was better, i was always used to Timid so could you please tell me what the modest boost does, with a few calcs and not just "extra damage"

The rest of the team is cool, i like how you know that Scarf Keldeo is better with Toxic or Endeavor instead of a weak coverage move on the last slot and as i said, the team is standard and great, i hope they include it on the ORAS sample team thread so people who want to play ORAS as an old gen can try out this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)