Togekiss

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
[OVERVIEW]
  • Sets itself apart from other Fairy types in CAP thanks to a few unique characteristics.
  • Fairy/Flying is a good typing in general sporting a 4x resistance to bug/fighting moves, 2x resistance to grass/dark moves, and immunity to ground/dragon moves.
  • Able to check and counter prominent cap mons like Colosoil, Tomohawk, Revenahk, Pyroak, Necturna, and Arghonaut.
  • Able to check and counter prominent OU mons like Magic Guard Clefable, Sableye, Garchomp, Serperior, MegaBro, MegaVenu, Breloom, and Hippowdon.
  • Good typing when combined with 85/95/115 bulk and a very good support movepool allows it to take on a variety of defensive roles.
  • Capable of running a variety of offensive roles as well thanks to a great special attack, okay speed, good offensive movepool, and access to Nasty Plot.
  • Fairs well on balance with its access to T-wave, Defog, Heal Bell, and Roost. Togekiss can also be a good wincon Vs. stall thanks to Nasty Plot and the 60% Air Slash flinch chance.
  • Does not match up well against hyper offense.
  • Weaknesses to Steel, Poison, Ice, Electric, and Rock; all of which common in CAP.
  • Really appreciates hazard control, not mandatory but definitely recommended.
  • Very average speed that loses momentum in the face of faster teams.
[SET]
name: Stall Breaker
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Roost
move 4: Flamethrower / Aura Sphere / Substitute
item: Leftovers
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Timid
evs: 164 HP / 80 Def / 32 SpD / 224 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========​

• Serene Grace Air Slash is what enables Togekiss to act as a stallbreaker with a 60% flinch chance.
  • Nasty Plot gives Togekiss the extra power it needs to work past specially defensive pokemon.
  • Roost provides reliable recovery making it easier to shrug off damage sustained while boosting.
  • Forth slot works well with a coverage move to hit pokemon that can pose a problem, specifically Steel types.
  • Substitute is also a good fourth option allowing Togekiss more freedom to boost while letting it avoid status from everything slower.

Set Details
========

• The HP Evs hit a lefties number and reduce the damage taken from rocks.
  • The SpD Evs are there to survive Scarf Mollux's modest Sludge Wave from full health.
  • The Speed Evs are for outspeeding non-scarfed Heatran, Metagross before it megas, non-scarfed Mollux, and Jolly Bisharp.
  • Put the rest into Def because Toge doesn't really require SpA Evs to be effective. Nasty Plot combined with a 120 Base SpA is all it really needs offensively.
Usage Tips
========
  • Use the bulk wisely by switching into or setting up on fighting, bug, grass, dark, ground, and dragon types.
  • Use Togekiss' speed to set-up on everything slower.
  • Unless you are looking at a very slow team then do not try to set-up immediately. Allow other team members to wear down the opposing team a bit before attempting a sweep.
  • Togekiss' speed isn't anywhere near ideal for sweeping, but pretty perfect for late-game cleaning. So try to preserve Togekiss' health as much as possible.
Team Options
========
  • Togekiss appreciates help from pokemon such as Colossoil, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Heatran, and Magnazone since they can handle the poison, steel, and eletric types that would be a problem otherwise. Colo and Exca are good partners in particular thanks to their access to hazard removal.
  • Pokemon with priority or a choice scarf can be a large help in case something decides it wants to set-up on Togekiss thanks to a good match-up. For example Crucibelle feels very comfortable going for the Coil in front of Toge, so a nice strong Bullet Punch or Scarf EQ can really help.
  • Chip damage from hazard support really goes a long way in discouraging switches, which helps this set a lot.
  • As previously mentioned hazard support is really necessary since Stealth Rocks turns quite a few 2hkos into ohkos against Togekiss.
  • Some form of speed control is always an option, as well. Sticky Web or TailWind helps as the lowered speed will enhance the chance for a flinch.
[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Heal Bell / Defog
move 4: Thunder Wave / Dazzling Gleam
item: Leftovers
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.​

Last edited:
I know this is a WIP and everything, but I am curious.

I don't know if I'm missing something here or not, and I'm not against you adding Special Defense EVs, but your reasoning is a bit, well, strange. Why are you adding special defense EVs to Togekiss to guarantee you live against mollux when you shouldn't be staying in against it anyways? The set you mention has nothing to hit back mollux with anyways, and doesn't utilize thunder wave to cripple the scarf, so I don't see a reason that you are using that EV spread for the Stallbreaker set. Maybe the spread is better for a different Togekiss set, or maybe Psychic could be slashed on the set to provide a use for those EVs.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I know this is still WIP, but make sure you're writing in bullet points before check 2 of 3. Just looking at the moves section, and I don't want you to have to do more work than you have to.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I know this is a WIP and everything, but I am curious.

I don't know if I'm missing something here or not, and I'm not against you adding Special Defense EVs, but your reasoning is a bit, well, strange. Why are you adding special defense EVs to Togekiss to guarantee you live against mollux when you shouldn't be staying in against it anyways? The set you mention has nothing to hit back mollux with anyways, and doesn't utilize thunder wave to cripple the scarf, so I don't see a reason that you are using that EV spread for the Stallbreaker set. Maybe the spread is better for a different Togekiss set, or maybe Psychic could be slashed on the set to provide a use for those EVs.
My reasoning is because its helps alleviate prediction. If someone has a Mollux in your face and you know it isn't Specs then you can stay in from full health. If they show scarf make the switch and keep your toge. If it's not scarf then outspeed and 60% flinch and we know we can survive a hit from it as long as it isn't Specs or Life Orb. So, some scouting beforehand is suggested. I just feel it alleviates prediction to a degree.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Just a tip, here's a good method. Looking at your Defensive set, do something like this:

-Roost does ___
-Air Slash does ___
-Heal Bell does ___
-Defog does ___
Etc, you don't necessarily have to use the verb "does" obviously

Makes it easier on you (and QC)!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)