Monotype Toxicity

Poison is my favorite type, and attempted to make a balanced Posion monotype team. Playing around on Showdown, I’ve gotten mixed results but love using this type

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

I like leading off with Nidoking. He’s got the pace to set Stealth Rocks immediately, and the power to take things down with it. Sludge Wave takes a lot of stuff down w/ a OHKO due to Life Orb, Sheer Force, and STAB.

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Haze
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Toxapex is the best staller. Toxic and Recover just drains the life out of threats. Plus Regenerator can get really annoying. I used Rocky Helmet instead of black sludge to help chip away at physical Pokémon.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Gengar has great typing. Threatens psychic types that are a big threat to the poison type. Choice Scarf allows Gengar to outspeed a lot of Pokémon. Losing Levitate hurts, but I like cursed body. Trick helps cripple stallers to be locked into one move.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 253 Spe
- Defog
- U-Turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost

My sole purpose for bringing Crobat is to get rid of entry hazards. I’m just not a fan of Defog because it removes both sides. Brave Bird hits really hard, with black sludge and Roost for recovery methods allows you to hit BB more. U-Turn to get out quickly.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Earthquake

Where Toxapex is the defensive wall, M-Venusaur is the special wall. This set could probably be better. Giga Drain hits hard with recovery. Earthquake for coverage.

Alola-Muk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Fire Blast

The physical attacker of this team. Will most likely change Fire Blast to Fire Punch. Knock Off hits hard, and helps get some items off threats. Shadow Sneak is good for when the opponent outspeeds you, and has low HP.

I really enjoy using this team, and I’m sure there’s some tweaks that can be made. DISCLAIMER: If you request a hidden power move, I am no good at getting them. But please help me in anyway you can. Thanks!

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey SuperSCyther, you have a somewhat interesting team. Your team could have a many minor tweaks, anyway here are my suggestions.

Your nidoking is mostly solid though I would use Flamethrower or Fire Blast over Sludge Wave as the team doesn't really need more poison type stab and the extra fire move can help in matchups like Steel, specifically pokemon like Celesteela which give Poison a hard time breaking.
Flamethrower / Fire Blast > Sludge Wave

This is a minor but important change. Toxapex is a pokemon poison very often uses as a sponge for strong attacks alongside Alolan-Muk and Mega Venusaur so having residual recovery on Toxapex is nicer than the chip that rocky helmet provides. Secondly on Toxapex I would run Toxic Spikes over Toxic as both can badly poison the opponents and spikes only needs to be used once to cripple a whole team rather than just once. Changing it to Toxic Spikes can better improve the matchup against Normal which Poison struggles with.
Black Sludge > Rocky Helmet
Toxic Spikes > Toxic

>

It looks like you are trying to use Scarf Gengar as the teams form of speed control, however in USUM Naganadel was released which is a much more potent force that acts as the types main speed control. With the ability to boost speed with each kill and use Nasty Plot with great Dragon and Poison type stab which is supported by amazing coverage in Fire Blast there is really no reason to use Gengar in USUM.
Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

I would suggest using Crobat as a bulky pivot and invest in HP rather than attack so Crobat can more easily get off many defogs throughout the game and recovers more off of roost. You should dump the other 4 EVs into Special Defense so pokemon like Porygon2 receive a useless attack boost rather than a SpA boost off of download. Taunt is also an option to prevent other pokemon from defogging, setting hazards and or spreading status.
HP EVs > Atk EVs
Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn / Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

You are using Mega Venusaur as a specially defensive wall which is fine however it is better used as a physical wall so it can better wall pokemon such as Excadrill, which very much threaten poison-type teams. Also Muk does a pretty good job of being a specially defensive tank. You can use 28 SpD EVs to better handle Mega Alakazam and live a Timid Psychic from full however Muk already walls alakazam so it really isnt that necessary. You can also use Leech Seed over Sludge Bomb if you feel like you have enough poison-type stab and makes Mega Venusaur much harder to break. HP Fire is so Venusaur can take on unboosted Mega Scizor 1v1.
Def > SpD
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Since Mega Venusaur is no longer your special wall I decided to more fully invest alolan-muk. This allows alolan-muk to take most non supereffective special attacks with ease including Landorus-I's Earth Power from full then proceeding to Knock Off its item. 252/12 hp/def evs allows Muk to survive a Scarfed Victini's V-Create after rocks and OHKO with Knock Off. Also Alolan-Muk learns Fire Punch now thanks to the move tutors that USM brought. Also Pursuit is much more useful than shadow sneak as it can help trap threats like Latios, Mega Alakazam and Meloetta which otherwise can give the team quite some trouble. The 4 Speed is so you can outspeed Chansey just incase theres an offcase you can ohko it with Knock Off before it softboileds up.
Pursuit > Shadow Sneak
Fire Punch > Fire Blast

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

I hope you liked my minor changes to your otherwise more solid team. Hope you are more successful with this team now n_n!
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Hey I'd just like to suggest one change that might seem minor but will almost certainly affect some of your games.

Alolan Muk on this team should not use Fire Punch. Fire Blast is much, much better for your team because of one rather important reason: Alakazam. Alolan Muk serves as your Psychic counter and it is amazing at that role. However, if you use Fire Punch, Alakazam, a Psychic-type, is forcing out your Psychic counter into a teammate, none of which can take 2 Psychics! It's important for you to use Fire Blast instead here because it breaks Alakazam's Focus Sash without allowing it to use Counter to OHKO Alolan Muk back. Because Fire Punch actually prevents you actually countering one of the Pokemon Alolan Muk is meant to beat, I would strongly recommend against using it and to revert back to using Fire Blast as you did before. The only further change needed would be to change the Careful nature to Sassy, which does not reduce Fire Blast's damage.

Hope this helps!
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)