Turning

Played around with the ideas behind a volt-turn team and came up with this. So far it's racked up 10 consecutive wins on PS and counting. Returning to the BW OU meta after not playing for 2 years and not really wanting to learn the XY meta! Constructive criticisms are welcomed and appreciated.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Lava Plume

An old favorite from the days of DPP OU, Heatran is the special tank of this team with excellent typing for it as well. Stealth Rocks save me from having to depend on a lucky Magic Bounce to get them up. Roar for phazing and utility in general. Toxic to prevent random sweeps and set-ups. Lava Plume rounds it out with a STAB offensive move even with uninvested SpAtk and a good chance to burn.

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic
- U-turn

Base 100 speed and a great movepool for what it needs to do, Celebi destroys dragon types with HP Ice, outspeeding the ever popular Dragonite even with a DD up. Leaf Storm being the obligatory STAB move, hits like a truck and is able to crush down TTar. Psychic is a great option for an attacker and U-turn goes with the general theory of the team as well as offering great synergy between Rotom-W, Scizor, and Celebi.

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Speaking of Dragonite, it came to my mind as a great fit for this team. The triple core formed by Celebi, Scizor, and Rotom-W removing most if not all (Remember I haven't played for 2 years) common threats to it. Fire Punch rids me of steel type walling, Extremespeed to prevent the uncommon but still scary Scarf-Nape to take me down with a Stone Edge. Outrage the obvious STAB move and general purpose damage move to blow through enemy teams.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This guy is an amazing crux to the team, providing a great Water type STAB to deal with steel types if Scizor can't come in and overall good type-coverage. Will-O-Wisp eats common switch ins alive or at least cuts down their sweep potential. Pain-Split was mostly a filler move though, something I hope I can get some insight on.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit

Band-Scizor is luck attaching brass knuckles to fists, it just makes him even more deadly. Superpower hits like a veritable truck while Bullet Punch is his bread and butter move, allowing him to deal with Starmie and Gengar with relative ease. Pursuit to finish off anything akin to the Lati twins and just give him overall better coverage.

Xatu (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- U-turn
- Reflect

Probably the oddball of this team, getting a lot of "Why not us Espeon?" Well Xatu has Roost, something amazing in my opinion, as it allows him to reliably wall anything physical in combination with Reflect and stall it out with Toxic damage. With this set, Xatu reliably beats any wall that I can't straight out bulldoze through with the others. U-turn allows for quick switching and connects him to the team trifecta that is Scizor-Celebi-Rotom-W.

Some problems I notice already and hope people can help me with:

Pain Split on Rotom-W, is it worth it?
Should I try to fit in a spinner? As mentioned depending on Xatu to bounce everything won't always work.
Physical Attackers can eat this team alive if I don't have Reflect up.
Psychic is the only thing that hits Fighting-types super effectively. Any options to remedy this?

Hi NezumiX3,

This is a pretty solid Volt-Turn team here, using Celebi/Heatran and Rotom-W/Scizor cores.

On Celebi, I recommend that you use Baton Pass over U-turn, as this allows you to escape from Tyranitar/Weavile's Pursuit. Celebi really isn't doing much damage with U-turn anyways as your running a -Atk nature with no investment.

On Dragonite, I think you should use Lum Berry over Leftovers. Although Leftovers gives Dragonite recovery, Lum Berry is much more useful because it negates Outrage's confusion, and allows Dragonite to set-up on Scald (or Thunder Wave) without worrying about being burned.

I think you should keep Pain Split on Rotom-W as this allows you to keep Rotom-W relatively healthy throughout the match. Another alternative would be to run a RestChesto set, as this gives Rotom-W health recovery and allows it to heal itself from status.

I feel like with Xatu, a spinner would be redundant as Xatu can reliably bounce away opposing hazard with the right prediciton. In addition, your team isn't extremely weak to Stealth Rocks, so if your opponent did manage to set-up hazards, your team would still function pretty well.

Besides psychic-type moves, flying-type moves also hit fight-types super-effectively.

With regards to physical attackers, you could try using Landorus-T (with U-turn) or Forretress (with Volt Switch) over Xatu they can check a majority of physical threats in this metagame. However, using Landotus-T means that you lose your ability to reliably keep hazards off the field. If you want to keep Xatu, another option would be to replace Dragonite, but means losing your win condition.

Hope this helps!

Team testing:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-94872464

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)