(Un)Official Smogon University PO Stats -- August 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that what you're seeing in the previous generation metagames is that most battles are among the same small group of people, so what you're probably seeing, at least to SOME degree, is that one or two guys with Heatran on his team had a TON of battles.

What I might like to do at some point in the future is try to count each team only once (not for official stats--just for a fun comparative analysis). This will be difficult with the existing stats, since they won't contain the full teams, but I have some ideas as for how to work around that issue.

Actually, here's what I'm thinking: look at all the teams a given trainer has used. Eliminate redundant entries, and try to fill in the gaps (e.g. Harper uses "Tyranitar / Celebi / Metagross / Aerodactyl / ??? / ???" in one battle and "Tyranitar / Metagross / Flygon / Magnezone / ??? / ???" in another, and they're probably the same team, that is, "Tyranitar / Celebi / Metagross / Aerodactyl / Flygon / Magnezone." Also implement a rule that combines teams with, say, four or more of the same pokemon, the idea being that it's probably the same team, just with modifications as the player continues playtesting.

That probably wasn't very clear--I'm mainly just thinking out loud. But the idea is to count each team only once (per account? maybe not? if people are ripping off the same RMT or playing the same team with an alt account) and see how that changes the stats.

I dunno, though. This would NOT be the easiest thing to program.

Thanks for these stats! Tyranitar and Scizor being very high in usage is expected, since the majority of players have taken up Sandstorm as their playing style and Reuniclus is running around. Ferrothorn and Politoed are still really high in usage, and that's normal I guess. Overall, weather is continuing to dominate the BW OU metagame.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with you, Antar. None of the battles of the older gen hits even 20K, which means only a select few groups are playing, and their teams are grossly over-represented. Doesn't make your stat results any less valuable - the results reflect the sparsity of battles in these gen.

I agree with you, Antar. None of the battles of the older gen hits even 20K, which means only a select few groups are playing, and their teams are grossly over-represented. Doesn't make your stat results any less valuable - the results reflect the sparsity of battles in these gen.
Well, I'm just glad we're not updating the previous-generation tiers. I personally feel that the DPPtHGSS metagame ended in a really great place.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I'm just glad we're not updating the previous-generation tiers. I personally feel that the DPPtHGSS metagame ended in a really great place.
Yeah, hopefully 5th gen will reach that point before 6th gen comes out. But this does not mean ban everything you don't like dealing with, yes I'm looking at those of you that nominated Jirachi for Ubers *facepalm*.

hmmm: forretress is less used than ferrothorn in standard OU and Uber, and machamp can be used in UU. Metagames evolve too fast... So i'm not surprised about Rotom-W and Ttar, we often see them.

No I have to disagree, some people doing play at all and use joke teams, you would probably see then main OU getting a lot less useage under that system. I like stats because it shows me exactly what people use and in what quantity. For example, Heatran might be over inflated, but if I play 4th gen OU, I am dam sure I am going to see it, so I better be prepared for it.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I cannot wait for UU to finally get updated! Here's to hoping that happens!

Thank you so much for compiling these stats, Antar! :)

I'm excited for the new stats too! (Just make sure gen 4 OU is in there lol). The tier changes will be cool too (get out of UU Mamoswine!).

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cmon guys. We need this to happen.

Quagsire->OU
Slowbro->OU
Venusaur->UU
Metagross->UU
Machamp->UU

The first two because they deserve it. Venusaur because I want it to join its butt buddies Arcanine and Milotic again. The last two because I want to see how much shit Metagross and Machamp can wreck in UU.

Cmon guys. We need this to happen.

Quagsire->OU
Slowbro->OU
Venusaur->UU
Metagross->UU
Machamp->UU

The first two because they deserve it. Venusaur because I want it to join its butt buddies Arcanine and Milotic again. The last two because I want to see how much shit Metagross and Machamp can wreck in UU.
it's interesting, because without sun in uu venusaur is definitely not the beast that makes it such a force in uu... i don't really see any reason why it shouldn't be uu...

it's interesting, because without sun in uu venusaur is definitely not the beast that makes it such a force in uu... i don't really see any reason why it shouldn't be uu...
...Other than the fact that it's good and heavily used in OU, and the point of UU is to use Pokemon that aren't heavily used in OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)