Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
That moment when I have built an Azumarill team to pay homage to the most apocalyptic team in ORAS UU history...

Theoretically, the ultimate goal for this team, as for any other Belly Drum Azumarill team and other teams with a rather threatening set-up attacker, is to get a chance for Azumarill to set up and sweep: this is where Choice Specs Chandelure comes in by virtue of Memento (although I didn't manage to use Memento almost all the time, since Azumarill is actually bulky enough to stomach hits). While Chandelure can aid Azumarill in its sweep by virtue of Memento, its Choice Specs set shines by dishing out massive damage against most Pokemon who stand in their way -- even an offensive Hydreigon would lose more than 50% of its health with a Fire Blast.

At first, I have been skeptical to Mienshao's capabilities as a Choice Scarf attacker (most notably due to its pure Fighting typing); now, I can attest that Mienshao is one of the beasts worth taking seriously in this metagame. There are some instances that Belly Drum Azumarill didn't get the job done as expected; but Mienshao has the capability of sweeping weakened teams apart with a boosted High Jump Kick. Then, with the team's structure, I have favored Mega Steelix over Mega Aggron to improve the chances of resisting most Electric attacks easily; I have put Dragon Tail over the more common Roar in this instance due to Rotom-Wash being one of the best switch-ins to Mega Steelix and Dragon Tail would give Rotom-Wash a hard time to switch back in with hazards up.

Finally, two Pokemon in Hydreigon and Crobat are candidates for controlling hazards which is a crucial part for the team's goal; while I initially put Defog on Crobat, I don't have any way of dealing with the likes of Primarina and (ironically, opposing) Azumarill (and Poison Jab on Mienshao definitely is not enough to take those Pokemon down). Therefore, I decided to put Defog on Hydreigon as the Pokemon paying homage to Salamence's duties last generation and I gave Crobat one of the most unusual moves in its arsenal: Poison Fang. With Poison Fang, Crobat allows it to inflict Toxic Poison most of the time without getting Taunted while still retaining the momentum the team needed with U-turn.

EDIT for PSA: I miss Marill.

Last edited:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Steelix (M) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Serperior @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Glare
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Liquidation
- Knock Off

Petrified Pigeon (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish

So like once again this is a team I previously made that I actually kinda like and decided I probably wasn't gonna come up with something better so here we are. Basically I really really wanted to make a Mega Steelix team because its one of the coolest megas and it doesn't get much love in uu, I've always found it pretty annoying to build around because its a ground type that can't switch in on Mega Manectric safely, but its whatever. Mega Steelix has deadass, a completely useless ability unless in sandstorm, and overall I believed Hippo was cool here so I plopped it on there as a reliable switch in for a lot of things and the sandstorm :). So I've got the bat for shit like Serperior, and Azumarill to put some dents into the enemy squad and revenge kill shit like Chandelure (which after a few games I've realized I take a thicc L against if it's got eball :DD). Now obviously Rotom-W is a problem for both Hippowdon and Steelix, aka my only stops to volt switch, so I have Serperior to shut it down and get free set up. Now the last slot was kinda difficult because I looked at the team and I kind of wanted a cleric, but a bulky Dragon type would help a lot as well so I went with the closest thing to a compromise I could get in Healing Wish Latias, and it is scarfed for some speed control :).

Coming soon...

Last edited:

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Whirlpool
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Facade

Latias @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunder

Praise the all mighty sandstorm. This is a sandstorm team with the standard mega aerodactyl, choice band stoutland, and mixed hippowdon. From those mons there is an ovbious weakness to fighting ice grass and electric. And who better to counter all of those types but a gastrodon azumarill core. The combination of those two mons takes care of any threats to mega aerodactyl and stoutland. This new trapper azu set is so clean for fast mons that can't hit azu. Calm mind latias is there as my only special sweeper to clean out the annoying water types like an opposing trapper azu who try to stop the sand storm sweep.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Serperior @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Rest

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 136 HP / 188 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

A very standard Serperior offense, started out with the core of Serperior+Manectric as Manectric tends to draw in the bulky Grounds and Water/Grounds that can really give Serperior an opportunity to start motoring. The presence of Manectric is also what drives the Serperior set used here, while I'm a great lover of the subseed set, the ability to lure in and paralyze your standard scarf dragons / ape to allow Manectric even more potential to go in vs the common builds running around right now was too good to pass up. Gliscor is the set I like the most at the moment, able to catch Rotom's on the switch with Tox and then the second time around able to SR up and rack up damage with Tox, greatly limiting the opponents chances of keeping rocks off over the course of the game. Spread looks whack but it's the most efficient way to always live Manectric HP Ice and still be able to outspeed Rotoms, the first of which has come in handy ridiculously often and the second was something I needed after Pearl kicked my ass with Nidoking webs like 3-4 times. Scizor and Hydreigon fill in a lot of the holes the team had, providing momentum and priority while giving an option against some pokemon that troubled me at this point such as Aero and Manectric. Scizor spread outspeeds Adamant Azu while retaining some bulk. Last slot I wanted a secondary means of threatening fatter builds, Fighting resist and a secondary dragon response. This kinda left me with Togekiss or Azumarill, and seeing as I didn't have any removal on the team, I went for Azu which has been a great fit so far. I should probably use a spread with a bit more spdef but that's only a small change. This team requires you to take the initiative as it really doesn't have the bulk to be lasting over a longer game if it's played too passively. That said it's been really fun to use so hopefully other ppl enjoy it too!

Sadly I haven't been saving replays with this team, I did ladder up to #7 with a p decent record using only this on mister vain though!

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Protect

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

With Azumarill's new feature, it is now quite good at trapping thing. My thought process was, let's pair it with other mons that are also good at trapping and just punishing switches in general to wear down opponents. Azumarill is the standard whirlpool + perish song set. Its important to note that i have plenty of serperior and other hard-hitting grass type checks on this team. I use azumarill on his team mostly to trap clerics and bulky waters such as sylveon, florges, umbreon, alomomola, etc. Since I already had toxic on Swampert, I figured scald would be more useful in crippling physical attackers. I may change back to toxic, however, if I find the the team comes across too many water absorbers. Swampert is a great lead and rock setter. It has to watch out for bloom doom mons but it gets the job done. It is also a great lure for grass types to come in so one can often aggressively switch in azumarill and beat electric types that Azumarill can't handle such as raikou and magneton. Alolan-Muk is the second trapper being able to trap psychic types and punish their switches. It can also remove items and sponge special hits fairly well. AOA Mega Aggron hits hard while have a ton of physical bulk allowing it to handle fast, hardhitting mons such as Mega Beedrill, Scizor, and even Cobalion on occasion. Amoonguss is nice to put things to sleep and deal with water absorbers. Also it isn't too hard to set up on this team early in the game, and clear smog helps make sure that doesn't happen. Latias is a nice defogger and can hit things hard on the special side. Healing wish is super useful on this team in order to assist azumarill in trapping another mon or to help Mega Aggron heal back up to full to weather the rest of the team.

Last edited:
The forums going down were kinda lame but it looks like we still have enough votes for this to be legit! Once again we have a team edging out by only one vote, so congrats to Freeroamer for winning this week!

For this week, send your best Nihilego teams this way! Nihilego is a spretty underrated 'mon due to it being easy to revenge kill (look no further than Scizor) and being somewhat one-dimensional with an awkward typing, but it comes with a great offensive movepool with the Special Attack and Speed to back it up, as well as it's extremely dangerous ability, Beast Boost. Sumbmissions due by Saturday!

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Power Gem

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Trick

I wanted to make a team that doubled up on two sweepers who shared the same type. Since poison is being neglected I chose to pair nihilego with toxicroak since it hasnt been seeing any use. Nihilego is a pretty sweet mon with multiple viable movesets. My personal favorite is Z thunder because hurts those pesky water mons are mons that I can't hit with my stab moves. I have grass knot for mons like pert and toad to suprise KO them. Toxicroak is the sd set with sucker punch to kill lati and scizor at +2 and with drain punch and gunk shot for recovery and against fairies like azumarill. I have swampert for mons like mega manectric and scizor, it sets rocks and roars out set up sweepers and pair nicely with my poison core. I also have bulky scizor to switch in on latias defog away hazards because defog scizor is slept on. Finally I have my last two wall breakers in latias, who is my speed control and my favorite scarfer of all time. Finally I have mega pidgeot another mon that is slept on but is quite good. It is able to to uturn for momentum and hit steel types and many types quite hard, breaking walls nihi and croak cant. Basically my team is a bunch of rejects but it works damn well.

Last edited:
(Good thing I had the Nihi team on deck for this week, otherwise it was another week I would've spectated and voted.)

(click for the import)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pretty basic sand team concept, and then some support mons to help aid in tanking hits that Nihi cannot under sand. Nihilego can run either T-Bolt or Psychic in that last slot, I prefer hitting Emp since my team isn't the weakest to Amoonguss (and you still hit tenta). The Doublade set might look a little wonky but I wanted a mon with longevity that could handle a threat like sciz sans KO and Cobalion, also Terrakion to an extent. Gyro ball is an underrated option in my opinion, because your steel stab goes from mediocre to close to an OHKO after rocks on a major threat like Hydrei and does well versus Gliscor as well. Also at the time of making this team, Doublade was heavily leaning towards anti-meta because Kommo-o and Scolipede were the meta, but still a good pick nonetheless. Just an overall fun team that performs pretty consistently from my testing of it, but is hella weak to the Water/Fairy juggernauts that are Azumarill and Primarina, as well as Mega-Sharpedo weak and Kyurem weak but Kyurem's an unmon and people won't see it's potential unless someone good makes it a wave.

On a side note I actually haven't tested Choice Nihi on this team, but I have tried out Life Orb before I made it E-Belt and Orb works as well, but it's a bit counter-intuitive chipping what's essentially an AV tank 10% per hit in my experience.

(blkoscars) @ Expert Belt
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Power Gem
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Psychium Z Necrozma
SD Doublade
Normally EV'd Mandibuzz
AOA M-Scept

Whirlwind Hippo
Specs Nihilego

Last edited:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Yeah I'll see what I can do.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Pain Split

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch

Serperior @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Liquidation
- Knock Off

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Alright so the one round I won in this competition was with Toxic Spikes Nidok, so I went ahead and said fuck it maybe I can replicate what happened back then and make another Toxic Spikes squad n_n. So obviously I started with Nihilego, and I knew with nihi's trashcan ass defenses, I would need checks for it's major counters/checks like Scizor/Azumarill... This is where Mega Aggron and Serperior come in, M-Aggron serving as a check to both of them, and Serp is able to revenge Scizor (with some chip), and revenge Azu without much difficulty. Now I knew I wanted to use either subtect Cune or Chandy or something of the sorts to really sell the Toxic Spikes and to abuse them as much as possible, and since my team wanted some counterplay to Serperior, I went with Chandy with Infiltrator (for subseed). Now I had a lil Fire/Grass thing goin and decided Azu would fit here just to form the fwg core and for things like Maero and Mamoswine that threatened the team a lot. Now the last slot I was debating a few things, a lot of it I dont really remember but I remembered since I was so used to using Mega Aggron on my sheddy team with Sylveon I knew a cleric would be helpful in general, but then said hmm I think a dragon type would be cool? but then was like nahhh, but then was like oh my team is a lil on the slow side, and scarf lati with healing wish could be some kinda compromise of sorts... so I went with that n_n.

Forreal watch the second one... vs. stall, nihi cleans shit up.

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Refresh

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Thunder
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot

this team is supposed to help terrakion sweep and the set i had i wanted to use for nihilego was a 4 atks set with hp ice instead of toxic spikes but i realised that toxic spikes provide more utility in the long run. the terrak set is a weird one but i didn't want to use a z move on this and i wanted to boost both its attack and speed so i decided on sub salac. absol has fire blast and ice beam for scizor and gliscor. lati has hp fire for scizor. doublade wears down gliscor easily with gyro ball and can check non knock off scizor. seismitoad is there because rotom + pursuit would be really annoying to deal with otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)