Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, onto the next week! Congrats to A Cake Wearing A Hat for winning the week with a close vote!

Buzzwole will be the focus for week 5. A powerful addition to UU in the recent shift, Buzzwole offers a great mix of defensive capability and offensive prowess. Its wide movepool and excellent, but centralized, stats give it a large amount of room for customization among its sets and EV spreads. Access to Earthquake, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Stone Edge, and Poison Jab keep most of its potential defensive answers on their toes when switching in. However, pathetic 53 base Special Defense and below average 79 base Speed combined with weaknesses to common types like Flying, Fairy, and Fire mean that it won't be dominating every game without zero effort. Since Buzzwole allows for a lot of freedom when building, super excited to see what you guys can put together!

Side note: for building, you don't necessarily have to build a team around the mon of the week, as long as the team you submit has it you've fulfilled the criteria. Hopefully this will stop some people from rushing to build in just 5 days, so we don't feel the need to whip up brand new teams for every week.

Friday 8pm EDT deadline

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I dunno if I can post a Weavile team since it's under a suspect test but oh well...

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Sparkling Aria

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab
- Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

The premise of this hyper offensive team is that each Pokémon abuses the others' checks. Buzzwole's, Primarina's and Latias' checks get Pursuit trapped by Weavile and Buzzwole and Primarina get off a huge hit every time a Weavile check comes in. Mega Swampert cleans late game and its counters are abused by Calm Mind Latias. Metagross is there just for setting up Stealth Rock because it has good synergy with the team.

Over all, I really love using the team as it matches up pretty nicely against most builds, from hyper offense to stall.

Reactions: TSR

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi (-:

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Toxic

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 116 Def / 12 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Latias @ Electrium Z
EVs: 16 HP / 32 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
This team consists of the offensive core of AoA Mega Pidgeot and Z-Thunder Latias, backed up by the incredibly potent defensive core of Buzzwole, Sylveon and Empoleon, and completed by Choice Scarf Krookodile.
  • Z-Thunder Latias aims to remove Empoleon, the number one check to Mega Pidgeot in the tier by usage at the moment, after a single Calm Mind boost with Gigavolt Havoc. The spread always avoids the 2HKO from Choice Scarf Krookodile's Pursuit, as well as the OHKO from the occassional Crunch.
  • Stealth Rock + Defog on Empoleon, because I'm not insane enough to run Scarf rocks. Toxic to deal with Primarina and CM Latias better, even though Roar can also work in that spot, and Shuca Berry over Leftovers to help with Mega Aerodactyl, which can be a pain. Sylveon gets a good amount of opportunities to heal Empoleon with Wish, so it's not that big of a deal giving up passive recovery.
  • Bulk Up Buzzwole makes sure this team doesn't get swept by Mega Swampert, beats bulky SD Scizor 1v1, is a Mamoswine check, and so on and so on ... y'all know this 'mon is great. Ice Punch + Earthquake is my preferred coverage of choice on this team: Ice + Ground is incredible coverage (see Mamoswine) that hits a number of its supposed checks super-effectively. Losing out on both of Buzzwole's STAB might seem like a weird choice, but this thing isn't actually supposed to hit hard from he get-go. It is moreso tailored to succeed in its defensive role as well as a late-game sweeper. The spread takes 2 Rain Boosted Waterfalls from Mega Swampert after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.
  • Choice Scarf Krookodile provides the team with an electric immunity, fast revenge killer and Pursuit trapper, while also offering support with Intimidate. It is supposed to help dealing with CM Raikou, Xurkitree and Mega Aerodactyl, all of which can annoy Mega Pidgeot.
  • Wish/Cleric Sylveon in the last spot, completing the defensive core and providing the team with a Dragon immunity, much more reliable Dark resist, Buzzwole switch-in (!!) and is overall a great utility 'mon (B- my ass LOL).

Changes I have considered/tested:
  • The team struggles versus stall, but that can be somewhat mitigated by opting for the Work Up + Refresh set on Pidgeot instead of the AoA variant.
  • CM BoltBeam on Latias lessens the need for Ice Punch on Buzzwole, therefore opening a slot for Lunge/Leech Life, which allows it to take on/pressure bulky Psychic types (Reuniclus for example is a problem). This, however, does come at the cost of a powerful STAB move, which leaves Latias with fewer options to successfully apply pressure in some situations.
:-)
Code:
[IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/pidgeot-mega.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/empoleon.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/buzzwole.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/krookodile.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/latias.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/sylveon.gif[/IMG]

I'll extend the deadline till tomorrow morning since only one team has been submitted... hopefully esche doesn't have to win by default D:

What about the team Amane Misa made? Are Weavile teams not allowed? (thinking of submitting anyways if I can get home and to a computer in a timely fashion tomorrow, but also out of curiosity)
Meant to address this earlier but totally. I'll let it slide this time since this was the first time. For the future, please do not submit a team with a Pokemon currently under suspect. Apologies for not doing so right away, but I will count Amane Misa's submission.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Celebi @ Yache Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Toxic
- Leech Life

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Psychic

So, I built this team to test Mamoswine + Hone Claws Mega Aero, which is a lit core when used correctly. Mega Aerodactyl can sweep the mid- or late-game with Hone Claws, and it doesn't have Wing Attack because I don't feel like I needed to hit Buzzwole since I have Toxic + Bulk Up Buzzwole. Mamoswine is one of the scariest wallbreakers outta there, and while it shares some checks with Mega Aero, it can easily overwhelm them with its Life Orb boosted Earthquake. Celebi is there to check Water-types, including Suicune, Mega Swampert (Yache Berry!), and Jellicent. Empoleon can take hits from Mega Pidgeot and Primarina, set Stealth Rock, and Defog the cancer. Buzzwole is, sincerely, stupid with this set. Bulk Up Buzzwole with a lotta SpDef investment is already pretty good, and since this team doesn't need the Ice/Ground coverage, I decided to use Toxic to lure other Buzzwole. Scarf Latias is, in my opinion, the best revenge killer in the tier, as it can revenge kill other Scarfers, such as Hydreigon, Mienshao, and Infernape, and can also surprise Mega Beedrill and Hydreigon.

Hi! Sorry for the delay. Not a whole lot of votes this week but its fairly clear the Lord Esche wins this week, congratulations!

For week 6, the subject will be Hydreigon. With the recent tier shift, Hydreigon can more comfortably challenge Latias as a premier Dragon-type in UU. Hydreigon's typing and ability Levitate give it a slew of useful resistances and immunities that give it a welcome role on a wide range of teams. Equipped with a Choice Scarf, Hydreigon becomes one of the most reliable and powerful revenge killers in the metagame, while its great typing, good Speed, and extremely high Special Attack, all combined with its wide offensive arsenal give its Life Orb and Choice Specs sets the capability of forcing their way through just about any defensive countermeasure.

Submissions due Friday, same time as always!

e: im bad this is week 6 lol

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Hello again folks!

I just wanna share a team that I made right around the start of shifts meta.

Hugs (Xurkitree) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Riggan Thomson (Hawlucha) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 248 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute

Rainbow Sherbet (Muk-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak

Axolotl (Swampert) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

TM81 (Scizor) @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

ORAS (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

So, for this team I started out with the idea of Xurk+Hawlucha as a core since Xurkitree wallbreaks and Hawlucha sweeps + counters Krookodile. In order to beat Latias and to give Hawlucha an easier time using High Jump Kick, I added pursuit support in the form of Alolan Muk. I then addressed my problems with Mega Aerodactyl and Mamoswine by adding Swampert and Scizor (Swampert also got stealth rocks out of the way). The scizor was originally bulky SD, but it really didn't perform up to par in the new meta so I changed it over to Choice Band, and then eventually I changed it over to offensive SD because I got screwed over too many times by Protect Sylveon. I then added the mon this week's all about, Hydreigon, to fill the role of a dragon, revenge killer, speed control, and generally just another special attacker since the only other one on my team was Xurkitree. So, there you have it. This is the team I've been using for almost a month now. Enjoy.

here are the small sprites for TSR

oh and i should also mention that i made this team with AaronDeGamer3.0.

Last edited:
(mega)

Entei @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail

Entire point of this team is basically hard-hitting offensive pressure backed up by a couple of decently tanky mons. Entei and Nidoqueen are complementary breakers, both serving as aggressive wallbreakers with decently high-powered stabs. Both check Fairies, Nidoqueen helps to break down fat physical walls and Entei does the inverse. Hydreigon and Metagross both serve to check Dragons and new drops such as Xurkitree and Buzzswole, as well as provide a half-decent wincon late-game for when the mess can be cleaned up. Scizor is a mandatory hazard removal that facilitates a second decently strong priority, and can pivot in and out with Hydreigon to help whittle down things and potentially get dangerous pokemon into position to go for damage. The final addition is Mega Aerodactyl, which serves as a form of some speed control, outrunning the two new megas and Xurkitree wholesale, while being able to handle itself nicely with Hone Claws.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Scald
- Toxic

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Teambuilding tends to be my weakness, but I'm actually pretty confident in this particular build. I wanted to stray from the Hydreigon + Scizor core that the above two teams take advantage of, and Doublade is a really hot mon with ridiculous Attack and Defense and beautiful type synergy with Hydreigon, so it works. Suicune and Alolan Muk are solid switch-ins to any bulky or offensive Water-types such as Primarina and Mega Blastoise, as well as Latias, which threatens Hydreigon and puts a major dent in Doublade considering its shit Special Defense. I didn't want to get steamrolled by Raikou and Xurkitree, so I threw on Sash Mamo for rocks and Electric-type fodder. There is literally no such thing as too much Water-type coverage, so I tacked on Mega Sceptile for extra assurance. Suicune carries Toxic for the same reason, in addition to being able to cripple Alomomola, Volcanion, and Buzzwhole who otherwise wall Suicune and are difficult to remove if Mamo and/or Mega Scep are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)