Unpopular opinions

I've said this before, but I find it really silly when people criticise the Gen 1 games for being 'buggy'. It's not like Sonic 06 where you're running into glitches left and right; you're not clipping through walls every few seconds or pressing Ice Beam only for Thundershock to come out instead. Aside from a very few minor things like the Focus Energy bug, you only end up running into glitches and bugs when you actively know about them and go after them. If you're playing Gen 1 to actually play the game rather than seeing if you can summon MissingNo. or find Mew by doing a very specific list of things you would never have thought to do unless you'd actually looked at the code or the internet, then Red and Blue are only as glitchy as Black and White.
Personally, my game crashed about 10 times causing me to have to restart it when I initially played them. I constantly lost battles due to 100% accuracy moves missing just because they could and I was one of those that actually had the master ball fail. I can't stand the game because of it,

Edit: Tbh, I just got the bad nostalgic side of gen 1 too. Cause I was like 3 when I played them so whenever something missed or something that shouldn't, I got mad. I'd probably enjoy them now more than I did then but nostalgia is powerful.

MOD EDIT: Removed every instance of "lmao" I could find, because come on. It's fine once in a while, but don't use ", lmao" instead of the common period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurona Yes, a lot of the bugs in Pokemon you have to go looking for; however, a lot of others you really don't.

- Buggy Trainer AI will lock into a super-effective move, even if that move is non-damaging.
- Moves that are supposed to be 100% accurate have a small chance to miss.
- Even without Old Man, surfing on those water/ledge tiles is still bugged, it repeats the encounter list of whatever the last patch of grass you were in.
- The grass in Viridian Forest is also bugged, you can only get encounters on certain tiles.

These are not "hard-to-find" bugs, and they are really stupid. And that's without a bunch of things that are not bugs but are really dumb, such as the Psychic-type being broken, Wrap/Bind/Fire Spin being able to completely stop a Pokemon moving indefinitely, etc.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kurona Yes, a lot of the bugs in Pokemon you have to go looking for; however, a lot of others you really don't.

- Buggy Trainer AI will lock into a super-effective move, even if that move is non-damaging.
- Moves that are supposed to be 100% accurate have a small chance to miss.
- Even without Old Man, surfing on those water/ledge tiles is still bugged, it repeats the encounter list of whatever the last patch of grass you were in.
- The grass in Viridian Forest is also bugged, you can only get encounters on certain tiles.

These are not "hard-to-find" bugs, and they are really stupid. And that's without a bunch of things that are not bugs but are really dumb, such as the Psychic-type being broken, Wrap/Bind/Fire Spin being able to completely stop a Pokemon moving indefinitely, etc.
Yeah, but at the same time those are really minor bugs:

1. You don't need to abuse Trainer AI to beat them. You can beat Lance just perfectly fine using a super effective Ice-type move as much as slowly poisoning it with a freshly caught Tentacool.
2. 100% stuff missing is annoying, but also it should be a rare occurance. If it keeps happening to you you're either unlucky of the game's RNG is out of whack (and that alone could be because of a seeding issue or the cartridge itself).
3. I don't think you can get into an encounter as soon as you enter water, you'd have to purposely move up and down along the ledge after getting into the water. Sure easy to do accidentally, and you can encounter a glitch Pokemon that could ruin your game, but once again the likelihood this happening I'm imagine are slim. And aside from the save file ruining bug, if things go cross-eyed you can always turn off you game and restart from the last time you saved.
4. That's annoying though that just means you find the ones that work and use them.

On my first playthrough of Blue I encountered no glitches. The only time I got stuck was on Seafoam Island but that was because I couldn't solve the puzzles (which I circumvented by just sailing to Cinnabar from Pallet).

The first half of those just seem like bad game design choices rather than bugs, and the other half are extremely minor.

I'm not gonna argue that they're great, perfect games; they've got a lot of flaws and the games being so incredibly unbalanced are a testament to how they didn't have a hang of this just quite yet. I simply argue against "they're glitchy" used as a negative towards them when, once again, the glitches you would actually realistically run into are about the same as the glitches in future titles and any other game.

I will say, the Gen 1 bugs didn't bother me on my first playthrough of the game, but they're very glaring once you notice the first crack in the seams.

On the anime topic, my issue is that it's framed like a different type of story from what it's better suited towards being. If they want a series with relatively static and relatable characters, that's fine, but the way the anime handles its episode to episode progression is halfway between being a slice-of-life with the various between episodes for new Pokemon and characters, while episodes dealing with the Gyms or rivals suggest some kind of forward progression, which in turn invokes the feeling of a developing character. I saw a few episodes of the Yo-Kai Watch anime, and I feel like that was a format that fit better to a "show monsters and sell game" type of anime: Slice-of-life format, at best a small continuity nod with a previous Yo-Kai, characters are all fairly straightforward and the same throughout the show. To an extent that's the direction I felt the series was leaning towards with the SuMo anime given they enrolled Ash in the school, which establishes a similar "anchored" setting to set the stories, and things like the Rotom-Dex reminding me of Whisper only reinforced this idea. I guess in short, my issue isn't what the anime is meant to do, but more how it's written on a fundamental level conflicting with that goal.

If I can throw one more unpopular opinion out, I don't think I've been legitimately interested in a single one of the Mythical "Mew Type" Pokemon, which I define as the Base 100 Mons, plus Diancie and Marshadow. I just haven't found any of the designs particularly interesting until maybe Marshadow, but even that one's not on a "Mythical" level as far as what I expect. Mega Diancie has the opposite problem: It's design isn't too bland, but it looks like someone started designing it and then never stopped. I'm just not a big fan of how they all look, and while they've found objective success competitively, they just don't feel as fun to use for me personally.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I think Vanilluxe is more creative than Garchomp.

+Original design (No other Pokemon other than the rest of the Vanilluxe line had this concept beforehand.)
+Backstory behind how it was made (It was formed by icicles bathing under the sun)
+Unexpected design (Who expected an Ice Cream-shaped Pokemon?)
+Unexpected twist behind design and a theory (Its true form is taken upon what's under the creamy look on its design. They are icicles with a lot of snow on them. The theory is that the four eyes shown on the upper part of its face aren't its eyes, the little ice bits are. It is supported by their hallow designs of the eyes and lack of great use, and by the suspicion of Vanillite keeping the ice bits on its design on the Japanese manga after the snow melted.)
+An an item called Casteliacone was made in honor of its basic stage, Vanillite, representing how it looks like Ice Cream.
+Added effects (The snow cloud floating out from the straw.)

-Based on a Dragon and a Jet (Just like Latias and Latios!)
-Based on a fish on land (Just like Whiscash!)
-Based off a weaponized shark depending on the jet aircraft (Just like Sharpedo!)
-Has taken upon a liking of deserts and relies on sand (What Flygon was supposed to do!)
-No real backstory or lore behind it. It's just a generic land shark air craft.
-Can fly but doesn't have anything other than Aerial Ace to back it up in the games.

Last edited:
Ransei A lot of the later parts of the Unova Dex are pretty creative, even if we have expies earlier in the dex such as Gigalith, Conkeldurr, and the usual early Normal-types.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Last edited:
http://i.imgur.com/78e9PWu.jpg

I have been mistaken there, but was mainly a theory as of yet. It was made because their eyes seem hallow and in the anime/manga they hardly ever use them and the middle of their eyes relate to holes.

This also supports https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/e/ef/Snowless_Vanillite.png as it still keeps the ice bits
Just tickled one of my Vanillites in Pokemon Refresh, and either I just gave it severe muscle spasms as a result the tickling which may indicate an ongoing neurological disorder with it, or it has complete control over its apparent eyes and mouth.

I think that the people that are angry about Ash are the people who have grown up with him. We've already seen him as an inexperienced trainer, and we just really want to see him grow as a character.

I think that the people that are angry about Ash are the people who have grown up with him. We've already seen him as an inexperienced trainer, and we just really want to see him grow as a character.
That and the bar for western animation got raised quite a bit starting from about 2010 until now, so what passes for a good cartoon show aimed at children is much higher than the twilight of the 90's and especially post-9/11 2000's.

Pokemon and children's anime in general used to be a breath of fresh air in the west, this cutting edge entertainment leagues ahead of the average western animated show aimed at kids (during the late 90's to 2009 era). But then stuff like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, the Netflix Voltron, Avatar/Korra, and many others started really showing that kids can handle deeper subject matter and character development. Western Animation is very much in a golden age right now.

So what was once cutting edge seems more and more like a relic. Since this is what now constitutes a "kids show" in the west now:
Steven Universe

Star vs. The Forces of Evil

The Amazing World of Gumball

And this is just 3. There are dozens more I could list.

So now you can't even defend the Pokemon anime by saying it's supposed to appeal to modern audiences and not the old fans that grew up because this is the state of a show aimed at a modern child audience in the west.

At least that's my opinion of the Pokemon anime up until the Unova arcs where I tuned out. You'd have to ask someone if Kalos or the latest Alola reformat are working out for it. I heard good things came out of an Ash + Greninja arc but haven't seen it myself.

Last edited:
Siggu hit the nail on the head for me. Either make Ash a static character or allow the development to stick. The Ash-Greninja dynamic they built up for half of Kalos only to toss out with the League loss and departure of Greninja (in a less orthodox capacity suggesting it's less likely to return) legitimately made me face-desk. Imagine if in Dragon Ball Z, they spent the Freeza Arc foreshadowing and trumpeting Goku's power, then when he turns Super Saiyan he loses the fight with Freeza and never uses the form again. That's the sum total of what Ash Greninja amounted to, and the stupidest part is it lost to Mega Zard-X, a mon that is powerful but ultimately loses that match up (and I've been told Greninja was in control most of that bout), as if they thought losing to another fan-hyped mon would mitigate the complete betrayal of the concept of story climax and development (and more blatantly that little kids wouldn't mind AG losing to something "cool" and still buy merchandise of it).

What weirds me out about that in particular is that Ash-Greninja was much newer than Mega Charizard X. So if they wanted to advertise anything being powerful, surely it'd be Ash-Greninja?
I guess kids want black dragons with burning jaws and blazing claws, and also it is a mega evolved Charizard and everybody loves Charizard.

Does it count if I said my favorite Pokémon is Charizard, and Mega Charizard X is my favorite Mega? I ask this because every time I see these kinds of threads, everyone's quick to bash Charizard, almost to the point where I think it's a popular idea to hate on it. I don't just see it here, but pretty much everywhere on the internet :/

We don't need DP remakes ffs. Why does everyone keep asking for them? We should be advocating for new and original stories, not constant rehashes of older games. If this keeps up, we'll be seeing SM remakes pretty soon.

Does it count if I said my favorite Pokémon is Charizard, and Mega Charizard X is my favorite Mega? I ask this because every time I see these kinds of threads, everyone's quick to bash Charizard, almost to the point where I think it's a popular idea to hate on it. I don't just see it here, but pretty much everywhere on the internet :/
In the overall fan base, probably not - but on a forum like this, yeah this would definitely count as unpopular. A lot of people view Charizard (as well as its X mega) as overrated and therefore dislike it (me included). It's an alright Pokemon on its own, but is a bit overhyped.

We don't need DP remakes ffs. Why does everyone keep asking for them? We should be advocating for new and original stories, not constant rehashes of older games. If this keeps up, we'll be seeing SM remakes pretty soon.
I don't really mind if they get remade. I care more about the game being playable on what is the current system at the time and remakes are a way to make this possible. It'd be better if they found a way to just directly port games, but remakes aren't always a bad thing. An example is HGSS, poor level curve aside, its probably one of the best Pokemon games in the main series right now and I'm thankful they made it.

Does it count if I said my favorite Pokémon is Charizard, and Mega Charizard X is my favorite Mega? I ask this because every time I see these kinds of threads, everyone's quick to bash Charizard, almost to the point where I think it's a popular idea to hate on it. I don't just see it here, but pretty much everywhere on the internet :/.
Charizard is an iconic Pokemon and probably the most popular Kanto starter by an overwhelming margin. The people who dislike Charizard are the vocal minority.

For me personally, I don't dislike Charizard itself, I just don't like the fact that Game Freak gave it 2 megas simply for being more popular while leaving poor Venusaur and Blastoise in the dust. Charizard X is definitely my favorite out of the Kanto starter megas but it's the definition of fanservice.

People love that shit though, myself included. You remember all the "Hoenn Confirmed" memes? GF makes easy cash by modernizing an existing game while pleasing millions of fans who have nostalgic attachment to said game. I agree that allocating resources to new and original ideas is probably better but I don't mind remakes at all.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm lowkey probably the only one who doesn't love the Pokemon Adventures manga. I feel as if it's unnecessarily edgy or wild at times. (but A cutting arboks in half, zombie gastlies, everyone freezing to death, being directly named after the games!!, A LONER BOY WITH MEGA KANGASKHAN, dittos turning into humans, poliBO, EXBO, ZaPMoLCUnO, gym leaders being evil!!11!! are all amazing!)

dont kill me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)