Status
Not open for further replies.

Credit to UmbreoNoctie for the image.

Table of Contents:
1. Introduction to Toucannon
2. How this bird could shape the meta
3. Recommended Sets that I run
4. Checks and Counters

1. Hello everyone! My name is LuckyTux and I’ve been playing competitive Pokémon since December of 2016 and am here to showcase usage of a NU poke with devestating potential in UU.
Toucannon is an interesting Pokémon. With a base speed of 60, you probably ask “why give this mon a shot”? Toucannon gets a move called “Beak Blast” and it ruins all of the physical attackers in the game.

2. When people tend to think of UU, they think of Mega Beedrill, Mega Sharpedo, and Mega Aerodactyl- all of which who are crippled by burn. However, the pokes are so fast that they are hard to burn but that’s where a Toucannon comes in.

The move beak Blast is a decreased priority move with a bonus that, if the user is damaged by a move that makes contact. Likewise, Toucannon can also deal successful damage after countering the Pokémon with the flying-type move.

Beedrill vs Toucannon:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-663627856

252+ Atk Toucannon Beak Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Beedrill-Mega: 684-806 (252.3 - 297.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sharpedo vs Toucannon:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-663627446

(252+ Atk Toucannon Beak Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sharpedo: 345-406 (122.7 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

3. In the USUM meta, I run the following set:

Toucannon @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill link
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Def
Adamant Nature
- Beak Blast
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed
- U-turn

>It is able to paraflinch slower pokemon with rockblast and bullet seed
>Beak Blast is for burning, STAB, and decreased priority.
>U-turn makes it viable on voltturn squads.

4. Nevertheless, there are checks and counters to the bird itself:

Mega Aerodactyl: Due to its outrageous speed, powerful rock type STAB, and tough claws boost, mega aerodactyl’s stone edge OHKOs Toucannon. Toucannon would need to be sac’d to burn the sweeper.

Raikou, Mega Manectric, and a Rotom-W: Due to their higher base speeds and powerful electric type stab, these special attackers check Toucannon, forcing a swap.

Infernape, Entei, and Darmanitan: Due to their fire type and higher base speeds, these fire types are unaffected by beak blast’s secondary effect and are able to take it down with powerful attacks; nevertheless, rock blast can chip them down enough to be taken down by an ally.

Thanks for reading! Have fun trying out this crazy poke!
Tux

Last edited:

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry, but this thread doesn't really belong in this forum. Make sure to read the way every section works before you attempt to post, as stated here for the C&C section. I'll be locking this thread and moving it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)