UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

Well I can only vote for one option here but I might as well provide reasoning as it's fun to play devil's advocate.

Weavile provides a strong pursuit trapper that can outspeed and ko/trap a large number of threatening offensive mons. It's STAB combo is better than Krook's, it's more powerful than Krook, and it's fast enough to not need to a choice scarf, which makes it harder for setup sweepers to try and take advantage of it. While it does perform worse against Sciz/Rak than Krook, Krook's hardly a competent Sciz check either (takes 75% from +1, LO BP) and Terrak can't take full advantage of you as it's 2hko'd by Icicle Crash (ohko'd by Low Kick) and is therefore forced to click a STAB move to simply kill you, most likely CC so as to not miss and forfeit your balance breaker, which can be played around with the walls of the team. It brings zero defensive utility, sure, but its weaknesses are patched up by the rest of the team, and it is just a far more consistent and more threatening pursuit trapper than Scarf Krook could ever hope to be.

Z-Thunder Latias is the best choice when considering Weavile, as Gigavolt Havoc allows it to better pressure bulky steels, whom also happen to be the primary switch-ins to Weavile rn. Otherwise, just a very solid win-con in general.

Voting for both of Sparrows sets, couldn't think of anything better and I still can't.

Got something in mind for the 6th mon though.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Eh I honestly don't like either of the changes, Electric moves are awesome on Latias but I miss the recovery so much if I'm not using HO. Might just change it to Dragonium plus Recover if I make my own version of this team, more out of personal preference than viability.

I'll vote for Z Thunder Latias anyways.

And normally I would like Weavile more, especially as we have a Ground already, but Krook allows us to crucially outspeed stuff like Beedrill and improve the Talonflame match up.

Both seem good but Krookodile is a little safer in exchange for less power so I'll follow my defensive instincts and go for that.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Abstaining from Latias vote, but I'd like to put in my vote for Krook. Extra utility in Scarf + Intimidate as well as, another answer to Xurkitree is always welcome. My reasoning for Weavile was because the team required some fire power. Late game Ice Shard is no joke. I also don't like that Krookodile is complete set up bait when locked into the wrong move. Seeing as something like a late game SD Sky Attack Hawlucha could severely threaten this team.

pokeisfun we're yet to make changes at the end of building this team, we could investigate the option of Z-Draco Latias + Roost for extra sustainability later down the road.

Voting: +1 Krookodile.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
alright Round 5 is over and Weavile takes the 5th slot while Calm Mind Z-Thunder Latias replaces Choice Scarf Latias.

Latias @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Weavile @ Life Orb/ Choice Band
Ability: Pick Pocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick / Poison Jab

Anyways Round 6 of submissions will now take place, you can also still propose changes for the team so far. Also if we will be voting on the "/'s" on Weavile during voting in addition to member #6.

Deadline 8/7 @ 10 PM PST

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Weavile @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Mini Threat List or Potential Problematic mons

• Stone Edge Mega Swampert - Granted this form of Swampert is not too common (I personally see more Ice Punch and Power Up Punch variants) but, it can put in a lot of work against this team since Latias and Mantine are 2HKO-ed by Stone Edge (Latias has like a 97% chance to get 2HKO-ed, granted it doesn't miss). Since we are opting for Z-Thunder, Mega Swampert must be weakened in order for Draco Meteor to knock it out.
  • Mamoswine - Freeze Dry is able to 2HKO Mantine, though Freeze Dry isn't too common. Regular (Life Orb + 4 Attacks) Mamoswine can still put in a lot of work with our current team due to lack of reliable switch-ins after rocks (Mantine is 2HKO-ed with Icicle Crash after rocks).
  • Primarina - Not the biggest threat but, it is something to keep in mind. Mantine is 2HKO-ed by Moonblast after rocks but, Primarina is easy to exploit depending on what move it locks into. Theoretically, if the opposing player has a brain, they should be able to question why Latias is coming in on a relatively full health Primarina which should give away Z-Thunder.
  • Volt+Turn (specifically MowTom + Beedrill) - Puts in a lot work against our team, considering MowToms tend to run Z-Leaf Storm which blows away Mega Steelix.
  • Weavile - Needs scouting since Low Kick deals with Steelix while Poison Jab deals with Sylveon. Mantine is also 2hko-ed by Icicle Crash after rocks. Though 4x stab Weavile is a pushover for the team so far.
Will add more tmr probably

Last edited:
Looking at that current list of threats, nothing really comes to mind that could reliably deal with most of it defensively except maybe Blissey. Offensively however I think something could effectively check everything outside of Swampert and Primarina.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

A good fast fire type keeps Mamo, the MowTom + Beedrill combo, and Weavile in check while also giving us a bit of momentum on the team with U-turn. It also gives us a method of pressuring opposing Mega-Steelix's backed by a Wishpasser not named Alomomola.
Prima and Swampert don't really mind Scarf Napes damage output but at least we can U-turn into something else.

Speaking of opposing Steelix, how does everyone feel about the stall match up for this team? It seems like we kinda live and die by how we play Latias, which isn't hard to tell from just a team preview at the start of a match. Might be worth adding a stallbreaker if anyone can think of one that fits the team well.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Amoonguss allows for a reliable check to several of the threats listed by HotFuzzBall, handling non-IP MegaPert, Primarina, and Rotom-Mow. Worse against Vile and Mamo but makes up for it by helping out against Xurkitree, which can be super threatening depending on the set, considering we our most reliable revenge killer is Latias. Otherwise, Clear Smog is useful to deter setup sweepers and HP Fire can lure Scizor.

As for the Vile set, Life Orb would be my preferred item as being locked into moves with Band is too risky in my mind, allowing for several dangerous setup sweepers/wallbreakers to take advantage of it being locked into the wrong move, especially Pursuit. For the final moveslot, I think Pursuit is fine, usually I would opt for coverage but Amoonguss would solidify our counterplay to Primarina, and with its HP Fire, Lati's Z-Thunder, and resist in Steelix and Mantine, I think we have pretty good counterplay to steels.

Unsure about whether the stall matchup is a big issue as of yet but if it proves to be a persisting concern, CM+Dragonium+Roost Lati would be able to help, as roost gives it longevity and Z-Draco allows it to break past Muk-A easier. The good thing is it would probably only require slight adjustments to the team to compensate for the lost counterplay against fat steels, but for now I think leaving it at Z-Thunder is fine.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Late submission:

Celebi @ Darkium Z
EVs: 252 attack and 252 speed
Moves:
-sucker punch
-swords dance
-Seed Bomb
-Zen Headbutt

Probably we would be changing Latias' move set (I'm actually thinking of stored power for fun).

But this set helps lure Scizor which screws our offensive mons, gives us technically a Primarina counter but since Moonblast does a lot we are more of a check. Also it's not a bad stall breaker since you crush unaware Quagsire obviously and you can lure in Blissey and special walls expecting Nasty Plot.

It's also just an average sweeper in general giving is likely an extra avenue to win.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
aha sorry about the missed deadline, for some reason I thought the deadline was today instead of yesterday. Anyways we will be voting for the "/'s" on Weavile as well as the 6th slot.

Weavile

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

6th Slot
CodeRed23 - Choice Scarf Infernape

Looking at that current list of threats, nothing really comes to mind that could reliably deal with most of it defensively except maybe Blissey. Offensively however I think something could effectively check everything outside of Swampert and Primarina.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

A good fast fire type keeps Mamo, the MowTom + Beedrill combo, and Weavile in check while also giving us a bit of momentum on the team with U-turn. It also gives us a method of pressuring opposing Mega-Steelix's backed by a Wishpasser not named Alomomola.
Prima and Swampert don't really mind Scarf Napes damage output but at least we can U-turn into something else.

Speaking of opposing Steelix, how does everyone feel about the stall match up for this team? It seems like we kinda live and die by how we play Latias, which isn't hard to tell from just a team preview at the start of a match. Might be worth adding a stallbreaker if anyone can think of one that fits the team well.

ceal - Amoonguss
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Amoonguss allows for a reliable check to several of the threats listed by HotFuzzBall, handling non-IP MegaPert, Primarina, and Rotom-Mow. Worse against Vile and Mamo but makes up for it by helping out against Xurkitree, which can be super threatening depending on the set, considering we our most reliable revenge killer is Latias. Otherwise, Clear Smog is useful to deter setup sweepers and HP Fire can lure Scizor.

As for the Vile set, Life Orb would be my preferred item as being locked into moves with Band is too risky in my mind, allowing for several dangerous setup sweepers/wallbreakers to take advantage of it being locked into the wrong move, especially Pursuit. For the final moveslot, I think Pursuit is fine, usually I would opt for coverage but Amoonguss would solidify our counterplay to Primarina, and with its HP Fire, Lati's Z-Thunder, and resist in Steelix and Mantine, I think we have pretty good counterplay to steels.

Unsure about whether the stall matchup is a big issue as of yet but if it proves to be a persisting concern, CM+Dragonium+Roost Lati would be able to help, as roost gives it longevity and Z-Draco allows it to break past Muk-A easier. The good thing is it would probably only require slight adjustments to the team to compensate for the lost counterplay against fat steels, but for now I think leaving it at Z-Thunder is fine.

pokeisfun - Darkinium Z Physical Celebi
Celebi @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Regenerator Natural Cure
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

Probably we would be changing Latias' move set (I'm actually thinking of stored power for fun).

But this set helps lure Scizor which screws our offensive mons, gives us technically a Primarina counter but since Moonblast does a lot we are more of a check. Also it's not a bad stall breaker since you crush unaware Quagsire obviously and you can lure in Blissey and special walls expecting Nasty Plot.

It's also just an average sweeper in general giving is likely an extra avenue to win.

Deadline - 8/11 @ 10PM PST

Steelix @ Steelixite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Mantine @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
As for my vote, I would say I'm leaning closer to Choice Scarf Infernape since it gives the team answer (or a r-killer/check) to Ice-type such as Mamoswine and Mega Abomasnow that the team is pretty weak too as of now. As for Weavile, I believe Life Orb is probably the safest way to go (but I can see Choice Band working as well) with Low Kick because I don't find Pursuit necessary since our team really doesn't need any thing trapped with Pursuit, Poison Jab I found too niche since the only target it really is hitting is Primarina (which is easy to exploit with Mantine) so Low Kick will be handy to deal with opposing Ice-types as well as Mega Steelix too.

Though our stall matchup is decent-ish with Calm Mind Latias, Mega Steelix will definitely be a pain though so I could also see any variant (either Physical or Special) of Celebi working for the last slot.

Will also vote for Scarf Ape as it provides some extra speed control and a good check to a lot of the mons that threaten this team. Low Kick on the last slot for Vile as it gives us a way to lure in and pressure Mega Lix and provides just solid coverage in general.

Low Kick and Life Orb for Weavile, and I'll give my slot vote to pif's Celebi.
That set is actually pretty cool and it never crossed my mind to use Z-sucker on an SD set.

Celebi as it looks cool and I love using lures. I am a fisher man of some sorts :D!
Low Kick with Life Orb on Weavile
Mamoswine is obviously a problem but, if it's banded it has no switch-ins anyways. That behemoth's STABs are too good offensively to try to reliably have a stop to it. We could use defensive Alolomola (it does take on LO Mamo really well) but it's too late anyways and I don't think it matters too much. Plus, Mamo gets shit on defensively so, as long as we have rocks up we should be okay with taking on the Piggy Mammoth.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Poison Jab Weavile sends alolan Ninetales for a loop aswell as ensuring Primarina does not get the freedom to fire off Moonblasts if it comes in on Weavile, you have to be a brave man to go Steelix and even then it only lasts so long, this is particularly important if a Primarina switchin is not chosen as the last. In terms of practical use and "not losing" to certain Pokemon, something like Scarf Infernape is probably best however we'd basically be forfeiting to any competent stall team without pifs suggestion, which while it doesn't 6-0 from the lead spot, gives us options to outplay the matchup which I don't believe any set on Latias does (CM Drag Z is at best a mediocre attempt to break stall). The current set isn't terrible but again will thud its head into a mega steelix stall and the team will lose the attrition war even with Sylveon support.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
alright voting is now over and the results are...

Infernape - 5
Celebi - 2

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Anyways, discussion for this team will last 3 days and will end on 8/15 @ 11:59PM PST. Last minute proposals/changes can be made but, they will only be suggestions for the team rater to keep in mind (aka they won't be implemented democratically, the team rater will decide whether or not it passes or nah). The RMT will be posted after the discussion concludes.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Latias @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Mantine @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
Right, so I spent yesterday grinding out games with the team on the suspect ladder and in room tournaments to see how it handled and got mostly good results, most of the games I lost were due to my own inexperience and probably wouldn't happen to players who knew what they are doing.
The team is pretty fun and pretty satisfying to use, it does have some problems that I'll be going over in a moment but I'd like to share my thoughts on each member first.

Mega-Steelix: Probably the MVP of the team in my opinion, it's ability to just wall things like Lati, Raikou, Scizor's that lack Superpower, and fire off strong EQ's or Heavy Slams in return is just invaluable to the team. It also can do some really funny stuff like tanking an Earth Power from timid Nidoking if at full and OHKO it in return.

Latias: Performed exactly the way it always does, it's a solid wincon and can punch holes in the opponents team. Not a whole lot else to say other then it's good and the team really benefits from it's ability to remove bulky waters with Z-Thunder.

Sylveon: I have mixed thoughts on Sylveon, on the one hand it was pretty valuable against most Dark types, checked Hawlucha most of the time, and was occasionally handy as cleric against balanced and bulky teams, more so for Heal Bell then wishpassing though.
On the other hand however, it wasn't much help against Hyper Offense and had nothing to really offer against any decent Stall team. It also gave free switchins for Scizor and Nidoking/Queen, which the team doesn't exactly enjoy dealing with. I'll get into this a bit more with the next team member but I think support Togekiss might be a decent replacement.

Mantine: I had similar issues with Mantine as I did with Sylveon, it was nearly deadweight versus decent stall, it was lost momentum against HO, and it invited several threats to switchin for free such as Mega-Snow, Volcanion, and guts Heracross. It was however a very reliable defogger and answer to Scizor, along with being a decent mamo check when Icicle Crash failed to flinch, and Specs Prima if rocks aren't up. Overall I fould Mantine to be good at what it does, but I wasn't exactly impressed by it.
Which leads me back to the idea of using Togekiss as support over both Sylveon and Mantine, freeing up a slot for something else to help with the stall matchup.

Weavile: Another really useful mon, checks a lot of things with it's ludicrous speed and STAB combo. The few things that do switch in either lose an item to Knock Off or have to eat a Low Kick right afterwards (looking at you Coba). I never really found myself wishing I had Poison Jab as Steelix beats the majority of Fairy types in the tier and Prima risks losing it's Specs on the switchin, making it far easier to manage.

Infernape: Good speed control, useful late game cleaner, solid check to a lot of threats, and hot garbage against stall. Nothing else to say really, it does what it's built to do and never really slows the team down thanks to U-turn.

Now as for the teams main issues Stall is the biggest one, as we knew it was going to be, however it's not just Steelix that gives Lati problems but Doublade as well. The current RU set for Doublade can survive a +1 Gigavolt and 2HKO Lati with Shadow Sneak after rocks, it doesn't exactly flat out wall Lati but it can still do major damage to our best shot at beating stall.

Aside from stall and the things found on it, Sparrow pointed out, and then gave me a demonstration of just how badly the team handles Crawdaunt. If it clicks a boosting move as Mantine or Sylveon come in then you can kiss that mon goodbye, and if it clicks Knock Off as Lati comes in it's gone.

As I mentioned before, I think the best way to patch-up this teams issues with stall would be to role compress the Defogger and Cleric into a single mon with Togekiss and run a stallbreaker with some defensive utility to help deal with Specs Prima along with a few other things. Of course this would undoubtedly leave us with even more weakness, but personally I'd rather lose to a extra handful of mons then a whole playstyle.

Edit: Better idea, we could replace Lati with CM Reuni to improve the stall matchup

Last edited:

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I´d like to nominate Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus fits best on offensive teams that appreciate its immense standalone sweeping potential and need it as an emergency check to specific threats such as Hawlucha. Its decent bulk also provides it with a lot of setup opportunities and enables it to clean up offensive teams fairly easily or claim a kill with +2 Z-Sball vs bulkier builds (assuming there is no blissey ofc lul). It is also one of the (if not THE) premier trick room abusers in UU rn, so we could very well take a different approach with this team and try going for a full tr squad. That being said, cofag fits very well on most bo teams so let´s not limit ourselves to that. All in all, great mon that is also fun to use.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
snorlax.gif

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade / Body Slam
- Fire Punch

Snorlax is a mon that's not seen very much, mostly due to the influx of powerful Fighting-types that dominate the current metagame, such as Hawlucha and Guts Heracross. However, I still believe it has a pretty cool niche with this set, using it's ability Gluttony with the new 50% HP berries introduced in SM to have a semi-reliable way of recovering it's HP with Recycle, while also being a potentially very scary booster with Curse. As we all know, Snorlax is also quite bulky on the special side, being able to check scary special attackers such as Latias and even Primarina. (Specs Hydro does 38.3 - 45% to this spread, which is pretty crazy considering how strong Primarina is). Lax is also able to use a coverage move with this set since it forgoes RestTalk, which is really useful as Fire Punch helps Snorlax beat Scizor, which would be a really good check otherwise. Overall, I think Snorlax could make for a nice base to make a balance or BO team with, as it provides a good blanket check to special attackers while also being a potential late-game sweeper with the right support. (As for the STAB choice, Facade is nice to take advantage of Toxic and Wisp users, while Body Slam is a lot stronger right off the bat and helps threaten stuff like Latias with paralysis, although you have to be a lot more careful about status).

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

This Pokémon starts seeing a lot of usage recently, there were even a few complaints by people who argue it to be broken.

Hawlucha is a threatening as hell right now, with its only true counter being Doublade. With the right opportunity to set-up, it can completely sweep teams.

There is room for creativity while building with Hawlucha, such as regular HO, Aurora Veil HO or even BO.

I think it'll be a lot of fun building around such a cool Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)