UUPL Team/Set Dump

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Raikou @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I built some teams for Snowy that used this set. Everyone I would have had him use this against generally used either Mega Aerodactyl or a Ground-type like Krookodile or Nidoking as their Raikou check and rarely doubled up on Raikou answers, so Shuca Berry let me take advantage of that. Shuca Berry allows Raikou to win vs. Mega Aerodactyl 1v1 by absorbing an Earthquake and KOing with Thunderbolt, take out Choice Scarf Krookodile most of the time with Signal Beam after a boost (+1 252 SpA Raikou Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 302-356 (91.2 - 107.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock), and defeat Nidoking and Nidoqueen handily without having to worry about catching them on the switch. Signal Beam is also cool to hit stuff like Hydreigon, Latias, and Celebi harder than Hidden Power Ice.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

I stole this from either Sacri' or Aquadext and then used it on both my own teams and some of the ones I built for Snowy. Substitute Nidoking is really hard for slow, bulky stuff to deal with because Nidoking can 2HKO a decent chunk of the tier and Substitute gives it the opportunity to do so without relying on prediction. Substitute also protects it from priority. Otherwise, this is pretty straightforward.

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

I brought this Week 1 vs. Bushtush since I knew from his replays that he liked Magneton and/or Fire Fang Mega Aerodactyl. Occa Berry was supposed to give me some leeway vs. that and also potentially bluff an offensive set if I brought it in on Stealth Rock without taking a hit from something. The spread ensures that Mega Aerodactyl never OHKOs with Fire Fang after Stealth Rock or something. Occa Berry is cool to let Scizor get around the Fire-type coverage that normally checks it.

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Natural Gift

This is a more offensive version of the same concept. One of the teams I made for Snowy used this. The idea is that you remove opposing Scizor, Cobalion, or opposing Steel-types with Natural Gift and can make use of the Occa Berry if you don't need to use Natural Gift. I also ran a version of this with Liechi Berry on a team I didn't end up using in order to lure stuff like Quagsire and/or tank a hit and get a boost from the item.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I came up with this to break the bulky balances Poek had been using up until Week 4. General purpose use should replace a coverage move with Soft-Boiled (which coverage you replace depends on what the team needs), but in this specific instance I really wanted to break the Ground-type/Steel-type/Tentacruel balance teams he'd been using, so every move was mandatory. My game plan didn't involve Clefable sticking around that long anyway. It was just supposed to smash things and die. The EV spread outspeeds minimum Speed Base 70s and then creeps anything trying to beat that benchmark, maximum Special Attack lets Clefable hit as hard as possible, and the rest gets dumped in HP.

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
gonna keep the descriptions brief because I really do not feel like writing up that much for all of these sets, but with the drops / rises i figured there was no reason not to share these things.

Clefable (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

sash clef is something people have experimented with in ou, as was, at the time, designed to be a rocking lead for offense that has issues with things like mgross. in uu, i feel it has a lot more potential. the common answers to this are usually gonna be things like tentacruel, gliscor, etc and common means of hazard removal that wants to come in on this is gonna be tentacruel, mantine, mew. twave + bolt beam covers all of these things and twave prevents things from setting up freely. i used this w1 vs meeps and it forced out his tenta + kept rocks up

Clefable (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 72 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled

LO clef is p neat vs teams that use stuff like gliscor, scizor, fatter things to phaze (aside from emp), etc and in general it matched up really well vs the one team xmarth was spamming on ladder, so i suggested to rozes he bring that and made a team w it for him. ultimately it wasnt super useful but the concept i still like. the speed evs outspeed conk, the defense guarantees it eats two eqs from krookodile.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

just like the last set, this is designed solely for the purpose of beating conkeldurr. conk is broken and running something obscure that people don't scout for like this gives me the chance to lure anyone who doesn't scout for it. The coverage is obviously up to you and team dependent. both poek and i used it in finals.

Venomoth (F) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 8 HP / 16 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Bug Buzz

Pearl tells me I was the first to use this in uupl so i'm just gonna post it. Venomoth is a crazy strong set up sweeper and having sleep powder makes it incredibly difficult to reliably counter. the evs guarantee it eats a cb bp from scizor.

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 64 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

this beats rocks cobalion, rocks clefable, and bulky rocks nidoqueen for stall which is cool! it also is one of the more reliable cobalion counters, as it resists both of its stabs and i've never seen a cobalion use a rock move before. obviously not intended to be used as the sole defogger. I used this twice in uupl.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 52 Def / 200 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Trick Room
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- U-turn

just a surprising TR setter and probably the most viable one without going all out TR, which is bad. the EVs eat a +1 z-draco from latias after rocks + one round of lefties. the team I used this one had CB Bewear + Specs Primarina.

Latias @ Soul Dew / Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

unexpected set, not the best because recovery is really appreciated for something that doesn't immediately hit super hard but it can work in some scenarios and fits well on some teams.

Zoroark (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Illusion
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Memento

I made a post about this in UU VR and am not gonna repeat myself but yeah, it's the only viable memento mon and isn't a terrible scarfer.

Cobalion @ Steelium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Both Protect + Z-Iron Head are pretty neat. Protect lets you scout things like Scarf Krookodile / Scarf Hydreigon that attempt to come in and revenge kill, which can work pretty well in some cases. Z-Steel was really uncommon when I first started UU but I find it to be very useful, netting OHKOs on things like Aerodactyl and Clefable, 2 things which otherwise eat an unboosted Iron Head, luring things like Nidoqueen, Gliscor, Celebi, etc after an SD if they expect Z-Close Combat, and can also be useful in some situations vs a Latias. I've used lots of diff last moves on Steelium Z Cobalion rather than just Protect, but I wanted to mention both of these in one. I also have used Protect SD Terrakion (which rozes and blunder have used a few times this UUPL) which has proved to be pretty useful in my test games with it, albeit I am forgetful if it was revealed at all in the UUPL games.

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

In semifinals I wanted to experiment with another offensive Flying-type beyond just Aerodactyl, as lots of teams are negligent of handling specially oriented Flying-types, and in particular I found lcans to not be a huge Aerodactyl advocate.

Semifinals - Poek vs lcans - Replay
Semifinals - rozes vs dodmen - Replay
Finals - Poek vs Sacri' - Replay
Finals - rozes vs slurmz - Replay
Finals - TDK vs King UU - Replay

I'm not gonna be making a real shoutout post for UUPL but I just wanted to say this UUPL was very enjoyable. I enjoyed my time playing and building in this tier and being apart of the team. Thanks to Tony and Pearl for trading for me.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

Togekiss @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Air Slash
- Grass Knot
- Fire Blast / Aura Sphere

I used this set in my finals game against r0ady and it did incredibly well. Ironically enough, it did well upon being tricked the item it was intended to bluff (or, well, one of the two items, but you get the point as Tri Attack bluffs Specs whereas the other moves bluff Scarf). This is a nice set against offensive players who tend to use a lot of Rhyperior as their only flying countermeasure, but it also is ok for Electric types as Silk Scarf Tri Attack hits them stronger than anything else you would expect, really. Overall, it is just a lure set that meshes well on bulky-offense that takes advantage of Rhyperior removal and, to a lesser extent, Electric types being weakened (almost paired it with Specs Tornadus or Moltres, but would have been a bit too wild for my taste, probably). My finals team used Banded Victini to take advantage of the prospective lack of Rhyperior, but this did not even come into play during the game as Togekiss did all of the work itself.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

I used this set in my game against GULLY and my game against Soulwind. I also used SubCM against Col49, but that was because the team appreciated Substitute very much and these two sets have different niche, with this one appreciating longevity, Toxic Spikes, etc. and also shutting down any Riolu shenanigans. Basically, Protect seemed like just a cheeky counter-measure to GULLY's Riolu bullshit at first, but it turned out to be so useful in my test games, keeping Raikou alive for so long, helping against Hi Jump Kick, scouting, abusing pressure, and just giving me some more leverage in general -- it was a cool new toy for me, honestly. Generally, you want to pair this with the aformentioned Toxic Spikes, from Qwilfish or Roserade, and then just use it like normal CM Raikou, but abuse Protect being there in every way possible and it almost always has been worthwhile for me. Hard to really explain all of the practical points of having Protect, but I hope the point has gotten across sufficiently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)