Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

I looked around on the forums to try to find some information but I'm coming up empty, so if it's alright I'd like to ask the question here. Is there any VGC IRL gatherings for past generation games, specifically Gen 2? I'm hoping that if there isn't currently, that there will be soon with the release of Gold/Silver for 3DS VC. Any stirrings of anything like this coming? Thanks guys.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I looked around on the forums to try to find some information but I'm coming up empty, so if it's alright I'd like to ask the question here. Is there any VGC IRL gatherings for past generation games, specifically Gen 2? I'm hoping that if there isn't currently, that there will be soon with the release of Gold/Silver for 3DS VC. Any stirrings of anything like this coming? Thanks guys.
I seem to remember a RBY side event at a large event during the 2016 season, but I could just be imagining things. I don't believe there's been any sort of competitive RBY support in 2017, and I doubt that will change for GSC.

Maybe a little too early to ask this but i dont see a better topic to do it:
-With the removal of genies getting HA, is it viable to use Landorus-I instead of therian with sand force in a Sand team?

Short answer is No.

Landorus-T is used because of its typing, movepool, ability, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Landorus-I has been used historically, yes, but rarely. It is almost entirely outclassed by Excadrill, and really just isn't fast or bulky enough to get the job done.

Will lando-I get use? Yes. Will he see more use than lando-t? Definitely not.
I wouldn't say Lando-I is completely outclassed by Excadrill. If you're looking at it purely as which is a better sand sweeper then yeah Excadrill is far superior, but Lando can function well outside of sand. Lando isn't neutered too much by Intimidate and packs a consistent single target Ground STAB (other than Z-EQs one time use since Drill Run isn't used as often) as well as coverage options like Sludge Bomb and HP Ice. Then again Sludge Bomb would only really be for Bulu since sand boosted Earth Power does about the same to Fini. To be honest they don't really function all that similarly at all. Excadrill hates the thought of facing Lando-T, while Lando-I outspeeds all Lando-T (except scarf) and OHKOs it with HP Ice (except AV/very bulky ones). The fact that it outspeeds Zard Y out of sand is relevant given the fact that sand is removed once it comes in.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Lando-I is particularly good and I agree with your comment that it's not very fast or bulky especially with it being slower than the things that it wants to be hitting such as Megagross (which wasn't as popular previously as it is now). I do think it may find its way on a successful team to fill some sort of niche, but its certainly not as versatile and splashable as Lando-T, or as good at filling its role as Excadrill.

Where would I be able to watch this and copy the team?

http://www.trainertower.com/2018-format-rutgers-fireside-open/

I'm trying to copy and use the 6th place team just to get used to the format, but I can't figure out where I would find all of the items, moves, etc. that were on the Pokémon. Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where would I be able to watch this and copy the team?

http://www.trainertower.com/2018-format-rutgers-fireside-open/

I'm trying to copy and use the 6th place team just to get used to the format, but I can't figure out where I would find all of the items, moves, etc. that were on the Pokémon. Can anyone help?

Does anyone have a good Rotom-Wash spread for a VGC 2018 rain team? For the moveset, I'm thinking Thunder / Hydro Pump / Will-o-Wisp / Pain Split, but I'm not sure on EVs/nature/item.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good Rotom-Wash spread for a VGC 2018 rain team? For the moveset, I'm thinking Thunder / Hydro Pump / Will-o-Wisp / Pain Split, but I'm not sure on EVs/nature/item.
252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe is the default EV spread in the Trainer Tower Damage Calc. Thunderbolt > Thunder because the low accuracy is very inconsistent; plus you're already running a low accuracy moves in Will-o-Wisp & Hydro Pump. Protect > Pain Split because its doubles and protect is always better in this case. Nature -- > Calm and for the item you can use either Sitrus Berry or a 50% berry.

252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe is the default EV spread in the Trainer Tower Damage Calc. Thunderbolt > Thunder because the low accuracy is very inconsistent; plus you're already running a low accuracy moves in Will-o-Wisp & Hydro Pump. Protect > Pain Split because its doubles and protect is always better in this case. Nature -- > Calm and for the item you can use either Sitrus Berry or a 50% berry.
Thanks. I know Thunderbolt is generally preferred over Thunder, but this is for a rain team, so I figured Thunder was the way to go. Do you still recommend Thunderbolt in its place?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Thanks. I know Thunderbolt is generally preferred over Thunder, but this is for a rain team, so I figured Thunder was the way to go. Do you still recommend Thunderbolt in its place?
You can use thunderbolt to hit mega charizard y. The sun otherwise makes thunder have 50% accuracy and halves the damage of hydro pump.

Yeah I would still recommend thunderbolt because opposing weather is so common right now.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What is the general spread for Calm Mind Fini?
The metagame is not established enough for there to be a generally accepted CM Fini spread. In my opinion, the spread you want should be based on what you want to KO at +1, and what kind of attacks you want to survive 2 hits of to activate your 50% berry. For example, 0 HP / 4 SDef Landorus is KOed with a Bold 44 SAtk Scald at +1, where Muddy Water requires Modest and 132 EVs to always KO at +1 when it hits. A defensive example would be Mega Kangaskhan's Jolly Double-Edge; With no Intimidate, you need a spread of 252 HP / 132 Def with a Bold nature to always survive 2 Double-Edges and get your 50% berry healing. If you have solid Intimidate support, you can afford a much more offensive spread. 252 HP / 68 Def with Modest is enough to always survive two -1 Mega Salamence Double-Edges (and Kangaskhan's by extension since a Mence Double-Edge is always more powerful with the same EVs and nature) and get your 50% berry healing.

Basically, if you have no Intimidate users or only something like Mega Salamence which loses Intimidate, try a bulkier spread. If you have Landorus or multiple Intimidaters, try a more offensive spread out.

The metagame is not established enough for there to be a generally accepted CM Fini spread. In my opinion, the spread you want should be based on what you want to KO at +1, and what kind of attacks you want to survive 2 hits of to activate your 50% berry. For example, 0 HP / 4 SDef Landorus is KOed with a Bold 44 SAtk Scald at +1, where Muddy Water requires Modest and 132 EVs to always KO at +1 when it hits. A defensive example would be Mega Kangaskhan's Jolly Double-Edge; With no Intimidate, you need a spread of 252 HP / 132 Def with a Bold nature to always survive 2 Double-Edges and get your 50% berry healing. If you have solid Intimidate support, you can afford a much more offensive spread. 252 HP / 68 Def with Modest is enough to always survive two -1 Mega Salamence Double-Edges (and Kangaskhan's by extension since a Mence Double-Edge is always more powerful with the same EVs and nature) and get your 50% berry healing.

Basically, if you have no Intimidate users or only something like Mega Salamence which loses Intimidate, try a bulkier spread. If you have Landorus or multiple Intimidaters, try a more offensive spread out.
Okay thank you.

Does anyone know what exactly the EVs in the Zapdos Default Set in the Trainer Tower damage calculator do?

Modest, 236 HP / 116 Def / 28 SpA / 84 SpD / 44 Spe
The HP and Def mean that, taking spread damage into account, Rock Slide from 252+ Atk Landorus-T is a 3HKO. The SpA lets you 2HKO most CM fini before a boost. 44 Spe lets you outpseed common scarf mons, and +1 Mega Salamence. I'm not quite sure what the SpD EVs are for. It's a slight variation on the OU Doubles analysis for Zapdos that exists on this site.

I have had this on my mind for building team, "which is better for a VGC 2017 and 2018 team, a rain, sun, or sand team?"
Rain has had the most options for the last 3 gens. Granted, you don't NEED weather, but if you really want to make a weather team, rain is the easiest to build and pilot.

Last edited:
How viable is Kommo-o in VGC2018 now that he has his own Z-Move? and what sets are there? (Plz explain the sets if you can)

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On VGC Showdown, Encore failed to activate against a Whimsicott.

This happened on turn 2. The opposing Whismicott used Encore against my Whimsicott and failed because of the Mental Herb,. But when my Whismicott tries to use Encore against his Encore, it fails. No terrain was active.

The replay is here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2018-684382749

I am unsure if this is Pokemon mechanics or a bug.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
How viable is Kommo-o in VGC2018 now that he has his own Z-Move? and what sets are there? (Plz explain the sets if you can)
It's viable but it has to have a team built around it. You can't just throw it on a team and expect it to work. The only viable set is using its z-crystal, and most sets have a modest nature and soundproof. Its moves look like this:

1515162975132.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)