Project VGC UU Live tourney series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is this?
With nationals being over and a majority of the playerbase having their seasons cut short I figured it would be fun to start up a tournament series to give people who aren't competing at Worlds or the Anaheim Open something to do. This series will work very similarly to the previous series, but the obvious difference will be the new times and the format of course. My vision for VGC 17' UU will essentially have the top 20 Pokemon in the Championship series on PGL banned. For reference, these Pokemon will be unusable during the series:

- Arcanine
- Tapu Koko
- Garchomp
- Kartana
- Tapu Lele
- Tapu Fini
- Porygon2
- Celesteela
- Snorlax
- Gigalith
- Muk
- Nihilego
- Ninetales
- Marowak
- Pelipper
- Pheromosa
- Mimikyu
- Metagross
- Gyarados
- Drifblim

Here's the link if you want to see it for yourself. If the top 20 changes during the series then it will change here as well.

How will this work?
Lives will be played out on Pokemon Showdown in the VGC room with the bracket generated by Battlefy. There will be a number of rounds determined by how many entrants are available and then the top performing players will move on to Top Cut. Threads will be put up ahead of time to remind players of Live tourneys and encourage them to check in on time.

Rules
  • Flat Doubles, Black Clover Pokemon ONLY. If it's not allowed on Sun Moon Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Please keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither. If time is called and you are using such a strategy, you will likely take the loss.
  • Each round will last a maximum of 50 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament and we have little control over this, you may change your team between rounds but not during a best of three series. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
Times
Since I'm working now and my weekdays are heavily limited I can only host these during the weekend at the moment. As of right now these are the best times, but I'm more inclined to do Option A.

Option A: Saturday @ 12:00PM EST and Sunday @ 2:30PM EST
Option B: Saturday @ 3:00PM EST and Sunday @ 2:30PM EST
Option D: Another time discussed in the thread.

Keep in mind that SmogonVGC live tournaments have no real incentive behind them other than to encourage comradery and practice. With the Official Smogon VGC Tournament going on at the same time there’s hardly a need for an invitational, so look at these as fun hangouts than a high-stakes competition. We may give away Pokemon for participants in Lives, but that's up to general interest.

Final important thing to note is that these will be starting as soon as next week and run every weekend until maybe after Pokemon Worlds

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Some pokemon that look interesting:

Fake out users:
Inciniroar
Raichu-a, though it won't have any terrain to abuse
Persian
Salazzle
Togedemaru
Weavile

Trick room users:
Oranguru
Slowbro/king
Gengar
Mismagius I guess
Trevenant
Exeggutor

Trick room abusers:
Araquanid
Mudsdale
Torkoal
Vikavolt?
Drampa

Intimidate:
Salamence
Krookodile
Granbull
Tauros
Masquerain
Stoutland

Anti-intimidate:
Braviary
Milotic

Bulky hard hitters:
Primarina
Vikavolt
Magnezone
Mudsdale
Goodra kinda
Kommo-o
Buzzwole
Xurkitree
Bewear

Speedy glass cannons:
Raichu-a, sort of
Starmie
Salazzle
Gengar
Talonflame
Porygon-Z
Weavile

Speed control:
Vikavolt
Braviary
Talonflame
Oricorio
Mandibuzz
Aerodactyl

Weather:
Torkoal + Lilligant
Politoed + Golduck
Vanilluxe

Anti-weather:
Goodra
Gastrodon
Lapras

I guess this might be useful:
Silvally
Flygon
Scizor
Dragonite
Lucario

Dumb shit:
Eevee + Clefairy
Chansey
Smeargle
Palossand

Reactions: Jio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)