What If - New UU Theorymonning

As some of you might know, the DPP OU tier list hasn't been updated for a long time. I have been wondering lately, what would the DPP UU metagame look like if it would be updated?

First, what Pokemon would be allowed? To find out, I check the DPP OU usage stats of March 2011 and see what changes would occur.

Who would leave UU?

Who would enter UU?

As you can see, the tier would be fairly larger. The most notable changes would be (imo) Uxie leaving and Weavile entering. Uxie was a great defensive backbone and a reliable SRer for both defensive and balanced teams (as well as offensive teams sometimes). Mesprit would probably replace most Uxies but lacks the speed and bulk Uxie has. Weavile entering would also make the life of Rotom and Mismagius much harder, as it can just come in and outspeed and kill with a Choice Band Pursuit, no matter if they stay in or switch out. Ice Shard also stops a lot of frail setup sweepers or sweepers weak to Ice like Altaria, Sceptile, Torterra, and many others. I personally think he would become BL.

So, what do you think the metagame would look like after these changes?

[Updating this when April stats come out.]

If Smeargle entered UU, the metagame would be completely broken. However, I do think having Ninjask would be interesting...

Yeah Weavile would definitely go BL imo; the Swords Dance set can just blow through entire teams with ease. It can also function as a good anti-lead, preventing rocks / spikes with Taunt, breaking Focus Sashes with Fake Out, and beating the increasingly popular Mismagius leads.

Same with Smeargle. It was promoted to OU before for a reason; it's basically a slower, less bulky Froslass without the ability to spinblock but with access Spore and Stealth Rock; hell it can even Rapid Spin in a pinch. Spikes offense really is broken in UU, as Heysup proved in his Free Bird team, and we don't need a repeat scenario of this.

I'm not so sure about Ninjask; the amount of Taunt leads nowadays really prevent it from doing its job that well but I could definitely see it being a problem. What I'd like to try out would be CB Ninjask in the lead slot and see how it goes; it seems like it'd get alot of surprise kills on things like lead Mismag with Night Slash, not to mention it can scout switches with a hard-hitting U-turn. The surprise factor is the reason to use it over Scyther, imo at least.

Umbreon is fine in UU. It's dropped down numerous times in the past and no one ever had a problem with it.

Uxie leaving would mean Mesprit'll try to take its place; I tried it in Uxie's place on a couple teams and it actually did fairly well, although I don't like the inability to use TrickScarf Uxie+CM Mesprit on the same team.

(also how has electivire not dropped to possible UU status ._.)

Actually, Ninjask might have some potential. With a Swords Dance set it could blast through teams easily, especially as UU doesn't have the powerful priority OU packs. Well, besides Weavile, but that's obviously broken in UU.

Smeargle was banned from UU because it was used enough to become OU, not because it was completely broken. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think it was nominated once.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Weavile in UU would be interesting. I think it would turn out just like Alakazam, assumed to be broken, but in actual play, it wouldn't be. Sure Adamant SD LO Weavile runs through and 2HKOs all of UU, with Weezing the only one able to stop it with either Flamethrower or Will-O-Wisp (but it too is 2HKOed). But, who the hell would Weavile set up on? There's practically nothing, outside of Chansey (and even then Thunder Wave), that it can set up on. Priority also owns Weavile's ass even if it's at full health, and you have to remember Stealth Rock exists.

EDIT: Good point PK, I totally forgot about Hariyama and the Intimidate users. So, even more to support my argument.

Weavile is powerful enough that I think it would be able to force switches with its raw strength alone. That said, it becomes a prediction war, but a prediction war with dire consequences if a player lets Weavile hit +2 and with similar consequences if they end up keeping their Swellow in on a CB Ice Shard or something. I can't say it'd be broken, but I think it'd definitely be a top contender that people would try to oust.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh nice, I love these types of threads.

I couldn't agree more with Oglemi. If Weavile were to enter UU I don't think i'd get banned. Sure its got incredible speed & power, but Weavile suffers from Low base power moves. A good amount of pokemon can check Weavile, and it even has counters. (Arcanine, Hitmontop, Azumarill and pretty any bulky water that isn't too heavy. Thick Fat Hariyama also completely destroys it) and lets be honest, if Weavile can't kill your offensive Pokemon, its pretty much dead. I can see Weavile being a top tier Pokemon because it can pursuit (fuck ghost types) and it can check grass types.

According to some respectable UU players, Smeargle would break UU so I guess i'll take their word on it. Smeargle in UU would be so coool.

No comment on Umbreon. I'm shocked and disgusted that its still UU. It was screwed over by scrubs and it will never shine in gen IV because of it. -_-

No comment on Ninjask either. I don't think he'll bring anything beneficial to the metagame though...

Uxie leaving UU would annoy the hell out of me, but thankfully server stats for gen IV UU so Uxie is safe.

Umbreon and Weavile would definitely be interesting for UU - Umbreon would fit the same defensive role as Uxie previously did (also possibly Mean Look + Yawn passing) but it wouldn't be able to support in the same way that Uxie does. Weavile would perhaps be used as a countermeasure to Umbreon's superb defensive stats by using Brick Break or Low Kick coming off that huge attack stat.

Ninjask... mehh.... It'd probably sit in the lead role, get +2 and a sub and pass to Rhyperior or Aggron, who would then proceed to truck the metagame. I can't see it lasting in UU too long.

Smeargle would be way too broken. Weavile would have to be a staple lead to kill it before it sets up, or we'd have to use something like Vital Spirit Primeape >_>
Way too overcentralizing. Smeargle's ability to set up layers would be uncontendable.

I'd like to try the metagame this way - I wonder if the tiers will get updated, I do think the DPP metagame is certainly still alive and kicking.
By the way, where did you pull up these usage stats?

I think Smeargle is a clear BL candidate - just think of the vast difference between the speed tiers of UU and OU. While 75 is near the bottom of the barrel in OU, only a large handful of offensive pokemon in UU clear smeargle's 273 speed, and as we all know, the more smeargle outspeeds, the drastically more effective it gets.

Weavile could turn out similarly to porygon-z. Both are frail, fast, and powerful sweepers, with weavile around the same special defensively and a good margin worse physical defensively. Still, with some support (not too much is required), weavile can easily set up an SD and, with 744 attack + LO (jolly is not need with +2 ice shard dealing with zam, sceptile, and swellow), wreak havoc. Not to mention that forcing a switch isn't such a difficult prospect when there's always the threat of having a CB.

I think I remember umbreon nominated or even being moved to BL in the past due to the sheer annoyance and difficulty in removing its curseback set. I could be mistaken, but I think many people agreed on how annoyingly sturdy curse + wish + payback + protect/heal bell was, not to mention that its special defenses are nigh impregnable. This could go either way, but after some time I think people will come to remember why they hated it so in the first place.

Finally, Ninjask is probably the least threatening of the 4, though of course in a much tamer metagame new sets will surface such as the SD set which, let me remind you, comes off of a respectable 90 base attack and unbeatable speed (plus the fact that ice shard is almost nowhere in the tier). As a BP'er, most teams, as in OU, will carry a phazer/taunter, so while jask can grab a few easy wins, for the most part it will be ineffectual in the baton passing department.

These are just my opinions, of course.

Promised to update this when April stats come out. A bit late, but better late then never.

These changes assume the changes in OP are already made, because those are already discussed (feel free to still discuss them though!).

Who would leave UU?

Noone.

Who would enter UU?

Only one difference, Mamoswine would enter UU. Ice Shard / Avalanche / Ice Fang + Earthquake has no resistors in UU (bar Bronzor). Think about that.

I think Mamoswine would be a huge threat if it it entered UU. Unlike Weavile, it has a really good STAB combo that would hit many things in the tier for heavy damage. I would imagine that Registeel + Milotic + Arcanine cores and defensive teams in general would have a particularly hard time dealing with the Choice Band set.

I'm surprised so few people use Mamaswine. I can't imagine he'd stay long; He's just too strong, even with his crappy defensive typing. To give you an idea, with a LO he outspeeds and always 2HKOs max defense Milotic after SR or Spikes damage regardless of nature. I guess Intimidate Arcanine would be a solid counter on a predicted Ice Shard, and Curseback Umbreon might be able to pull through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)