SPOILERS! "What Isn't A Pokemon Yet" Repository (+ Type Combinations & Super Forms)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Are unlikely, awkward animals or objects fused together/being one pokémon on the list? You know, something like a cat being allergic to itself or an ice type with a fire sac in its body. The closest pokémon that comes into my mind when its about this, is probably Garchomp (shark+dinosaur). But its understandable because Garchomp's probably a landshark. I can't seem to remember any other pokémon with this being the base of their designs.
One thing to remember about this list is that it's sort of like a component list. Sure there are plenty of things you can solely make a Pokemon out of, but for things like Concepts and Objects they'll probably combine it with an animal or if a mythical creature is too vague in detail they may make their own version thus making it a hybrid.

But that's not so rare in psychic Pokemons though.
Even Jynx and Gothitelle are shown to do that. (Remembering every detail even after 10 years)

So I wouldn't think they would make a Pokemon solely for that.
As I said above, Eidetic Memory is something which probably won't be the only thing the Pokemon is solely based on, just the gimmick it will use. Yes, many Pokemon, especially Psychic-types, has excellent memories and can remember precise details, but that's just a side thing mentioned in the Pokedex. For example, maybe an Eidetic Memory Pokemon not only can remember precise details but is also able to project those memories and maybe is even able to read other's memories and uncover little details that being had forgotten about but their subconscious has stored away.

Reactions: JES

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
One thing to remember about this list is that it's sort of like a component list. Sure there are plenty of things you can solely make a Pokemon out of, but for things like Concepts and Objects they'll probably combine it with an animal or if a mythical creature is too vague in detail they may make their own version thus making it a hybrid.

As I said above, Eidetic Memory is something which probably won't be the only thing the Pokemon is solely based on, just the gimmick it will use. Yes, many Pokemon, especially Psychic-types, has excellent memories and can remember precise details, but that's just a side thing mentioned in the Pokedex. For example, maybe an Eidetic Memory Pokemon not only can remember precise details but is also able to project those memories and maybe is even able to read other's memories and uncover little details that being had forgotten about but their subconscious has stored away.
I think it would be cool if there's a Pokemon that can read other's memories.
By the way, Gothitelle and Jynx can project memories via telepathy.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think it would be cool if there's a Pokemon that can read other's memories.
By the way, Gothitelle and Jynx can project memories via telepathy.
Telepathy is different from memory projection. Telepathy is just using the mind to speak directly to someone else's mind. Maybe a strong Psychic or a Pokemon who's dedicated to doing so can also project their memories, but they're not the same thing. Also both Pokemon have their own gimmicks which they emphasize:

Alakazam is pretty much mind over matter. It's super intelligent with an IQ of 5,000 thus able to outperform a super computer and remember everything it has experienced. It has developed psychic powers not only because its mind is so big but also because its body is so frail and weak it needs to use its psychic powers to support itself and move. It can bend spoons with just its mind and when it closes its eyes its other senses become super enhanced. Yet...

Gothitelle is astral reading. It's psychic powers are connected with the stars. It can predict the future by their movements (even know their own trainer's death) and can distort space so they could see starry skies thousands of miles away. Yet oddly can't learn Cosmic Power or Swift, huh.

Jynx is I think a representation of human female seduction. It's vaguely humanoid looking like a woman wearing a dress and bra, wiggles its hip is a seductive manner which hypnotizes people, it is based on the ganguro subculture than they're tanned and blonde, and she speaks a humanish language though it's indistinguishable (maybe based on the stereotype of what a guy hears when he's talking to a pretty girl; as in nothing as he's too busy checking her out), and he signature move involves kissing. Thinking about it she's the Pokemon version of this minus the dress:

Yes being Psychic-types they have some extension to other aspects of that type, but they have fields of specialty.

Cresselia~~

Telepathy is different from memory projection. Telepathy is just using the mind to speak directly to someone else's mind. Maybe a strong Psychic or a Pokemon who's dedicated to doing so can also project their memories, but they're not the same thing. Also both Pokemon have their own gimmicks which they emphasize:

Alakazam is pretty much mind over matter. It's super intelligent with an IQ of 5,000 thus able to outperform a super computer and remember everything it has experienced. It has developed psychic powers not only because its mind is so big but also because its body is so frail and weak it needs to use its psychic powers to support itself and move. It can bend spoons with just its mind and when it closes its eyes its other senses become super enhanced. Yet...

Gothitelle is astral reading. It's psychic powers are connected with the stars. It can predict the future by their movements (even know their own trainer's death) and can distort space so they could see starry skies thousands of miles away. Yet oddly can't learn Cosmic Power or Swift, huh.

Jynx is I think a representation of human female seduction. It's vaguely humanoid looking like a woman wearing a dress and bra, wiggles its hip is a seductive manner which hypnotizes people, it is based on the ganguro subculture than they're tanned and blonde, and she speaks a humanish language though it's indistinguishable (maybe based on the stereotype of what a guy hears when he's talking to a pretty girl; as in nothing as he's too busy checking her out), and he signature move involves kissing. Thinking about it she's the Pokemon version of this minus the dress:

Yes being Psychic-types they have some extension to other aspects of that type, but they have fields of specialty.
Maybe I used the wrong word.
I was trying to say that Jynx and Gothitelle can project images along with audio into humans or other Pokemon. It plays very much like a video. (Which is kinda convenient for the anime producers, since it's basically like a flash back but with a green frame added.)
But they don't "speak" during the telepathy, unlike the Pokemons such as Lugia or Lapras.

Gothitelle's pokedex really doesn't match with its movepool. Maybe we can talk about it in the other thread.

Your explanation to Jynx's language is very convincing, even when it's the first time I've seen such a theory.
Oh, that girl really does have Jynx's hair. I always thought that. XD

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Maybe I used the wrong word.
I was trying to say that Jynx and Gothitelle can project images along with audio into humans or other Pokemon. It plays very much like a video. (Which is kinda convenient for the anime producers, since it's basically like a flash back but with a green frame added.)
But they don't "speak" during the telepathy, unlike the Pokemons such as Lugia or Lapras.

Gothitelle's pokedex really doesn't match with its movepool. Maybe we can talk about it in the other thread.

Your explanation to Jynx's language is very convincing, even when it's the first time I've seen such a theory.
Oh, that girl really does have Jynx's hair. I always thought that. XD
I suppose they would be able to do that, but let me give you an example of what I'm trying to explain. Let's say these Pokemon were giving you a mental image of a room. For Jynx and Gothitelle the room they create would be a room by their perspective, maybe even an "ideal" version of the room. If there was any cracks or stains which weren't significant they could be absent from the vision version of the room. Alakazam might be able to give a more detailed version of the room, but once again anything which didn't seemed significant it might leave out because why does it matter? However the Eidetic Memory Pokemon would recreate the room EXACTLY like it was, right down to every crack and stain. And that's what I mean, other Psychic-types may be able to put an image in your head, but the Eidetic Memory Pokemon's image would be very detailed with nothing glossed over. And the Eidetic Memory would be able to do the same to other people's memories, but this starting to edge over into wishlisting so let's stop here. I think I made my point.

Yeah, it wasn't until just now did I theorize that what Jynx's theme was. I always just saw it as a sort of Viking Queen/Fat Lady-type thing but it seems like were going for a human feminine seductress angle examining it more closely. You know, FOR KIDS! :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Some new additions:

BUG: Japanese Honey Bee
OBJECT: Ceremonial Smoking Pipe, Sovereign's Orb, Chatelaine (Chain), Decorative Box, Lovespoon, Adder Stone, Taser, Torma, (Sewing) Needle, Fishing Pole, Cuauhxicalli, E-meter, Fire Pots, Prayer Wheel, Shrunken Head, Cuckoo Clock, Weather House
Toy: China Doll/Fukusuke, Marbles
CONCEPT: Chakana, Bowl of Hygieia, Afterimage, Magic Satchel/Hammerspace, Sign Language, Glassblowing, Dyson Sphere, Portable Hole, Broken Heart, Chain Reaction, Melting Pot, "April showers bring May flowers", "Groundhog Day", "In like a lion, out like a lamb", Blackberry Winter, Earthquake Cloud/Light, Ice Saints
Literature: Necronomicon, Brazen Head
MYTHOLOGY:
Greek/Roman:
Necklace of Harmonia, Clue/String Ball of Ariadne, Bag of Wind, Talaria, Palladium/Pignora Imperii, Icarus/Wax Wings, Lapis Manalis
English: Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain
Medieval: Toadstone/Batrachit
Celtic: Four Treasures of the Tuatha De Danann
German: Irminsul
Japanese: Sessho-seki, Uchide No Kozuchi
Chinese: Peaches of Immortality/Eight Immortals, Flowers of the Four Seasons/Four Gentlemen/Three Friends of Winter
Hinduism: Kalpavriksha
Biblical: Tree of Life/Knowledge of Good & Evil, Horn of Gabriel
Common: Gold & Jeweled Tree, Golden Apple, Food of Gods (Ambrosia/Amrita), Cloak of Invisibility, Seer Stone, Holy Water/Aspergillum, Ghost Ship

Last edited:
Wait a minute, isn't Hoopa Confined also based on the concept of Hammerspace, since its Unbound Forme is a Djinn? It likes to store things in an unknown place, after all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wait a minute, isn't Hoopa Confined also based on the concept of Hammerspace, since its Unbound Forme is a Djinn? It likes to store things in an unknown place, after all.
Hmm, Hammerspace gives the idea of there being a pocket dimension that someone is able to access, not just opening up a portal to someplace else where you store your stuff.

But with that said, Hoopa's theme does strongly resemble tee Portable Hole (well, ring, but pretty much similar idea) so I may remove that.

I have an idea for a trio of Pokémon that could be based on a japanese tale: A Grass-Type based on Issun-Boshi, a Water-Type based on the maiden in that story and a Fire-Type based on the oni whom Issun beat.

I would argue that the Tree of Life is Xerneas, given he grants life AND takes the form of a tree when dormant, flooding the area with life.

Also, the Tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil are NOT the same thing, so they should not be slashed next to each other.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I would argue that the Tree of Life is Xerneas, given he grants life AND takes the form of a tree when dormant, flooding the area with life.

Also, the Tree of Life and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil are NOT the same thing, so they should not be slashed next to each other.
Good point, I decided to get rid of Tree of Life since, not only does Xerneas sort of represent the concept, but its also a concept that spans multiple mythologies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Made some category updates/changes:

1. Made "Shark" a sub-subcategory under "Fish".
2. Made "Beetle", "Fly", "Wasp/Bee", "Ant", and "Moth/Butterflies" into sub-subcategories under "Insect".
3. Changed "Walking Stick" to "Stick Insect".
4. Moved "Spider Goat", "Glowing Cat", "Cloned Sheep", and "Gaseous Cow" moved to "CONCEPTS".
5. Changed "Horse with Spurs" to "Boot Spurs" and moved to "CONCEPTS".
6. Made "Lizard", "Snake", "Frog/Toad", and "Turtle/Tortoise" into subcategories under "REPTILE/AMPHIBIAN".

3. Changed "Walking Stick" to "Stick Insect".
This has sparked an idea. What about a walking cane?
Some real-life walking canes have heads on them, like animal heads made out of a metal of some sort.
I also remember a tale from the Bible where Moses turns his wooden walking cane into a snake.
Perhaps it could even just literally be a cane that can walk (on its own).

But this might start looking like I'm speculating or wishlisting, so let's just keep it at 'walking cane'.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This has sparked an idea. What about a walking cane?
Some real-life walking canes have heads on them, like animal heads made out of a metal of some sort.
I also remember a tale from the Bible where Moses turns his wooden walking cane into a snake.
Perhaps it could even just literally be a cane that can walk (on its own).

But this might start looking like I'm speculating or wishlisting, so let's just keep it at 'walking cane'.
Hm, it's not on the list. So I added it to "Objects". :)

Do we have glitches personafied on this list? Like, on purpose. Missingno doesn't count. I think. Or is that Porygon-Z? I don't know.

How about a water droplet that evolved into a storm cloud? I think I may have had an idea for that as a kid...I was a weird kid.

Also, to accompany the ice cream of gen five, let's throw in a sub for good measure.

Oh heeeeey, we don't have a window yet! ...I think.

Do we have an empty bag?

How about a collection of broken shards of glass?

SPACE PERSONIFIED! No I don't know how that would work but that's not the point here.

PBJ Sandwich? Toast. Cheese. A closed fist. A foot. An amalgamation of disembodied hands/feet. Computer Icons. A Computer. Sausage. Existential Crisis. Spatula.

...an amalgamation of everything listed above into one giant clusterfudge.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Syogren:
Glitch: Hmm, well Missingno obviously wouldn't count but does Porygon-Z? Well let's look at what Porygon-Z is. Porygon-Z is an unauthorized evolution/upgrade to Porygon2 via a Dubious Disc. So it seems to be slightly based off hacking/modding. However Porygon-Z acts, well, glitched up indicating it also represents a computer program getting a virus and getting its data corrupted causing glitches and bugs. So altogether it's not that Porygon-Z represents a glitch but rather a malfunctioning computer program and the various things associated with it.
I'd say maybe this is one that needs to be specific. For example on the list I have "Communication Failure Bug" which is a type of glitch.
Water Droplet/Storm Cloud: I'd say that's maybe too close to Castform, specifically its Rainy Forme.

Sub(marine Sandwich)/PBJ Sandwich: Hmm, a sandwich really isn't its own thing but rather a combination of foods.
Window/Broken Shards of Glass: I think "Stained Glass" covers both.
Empty Bag: Not an empty bag, though I'd argue Delibird's bag-like tail might fulfill this. We also have other kinds of "bags" or other container devices on the list.
Space: This is something that sounds like needs to broken down into specifics, in fact there are several space things on the list. Also Palkia.
Toast: Can we take it back a few steps to a Pokemon based on "Wheat"?
Cheese: Hmm, sure. Surprise we don't have it already.
Closed Fist: Hitmonchan.
Foot: Hitmonlee.
Amalgamation of disembodied hands/feet: Hitmontop? Erm, unless you can link it to a mythical creature I'm going to say that is too abstract.
Computer Icons: Ditto. Joking aside I think that may be too broad also for the most part computer icons are just symbol representing emotions or objects which can be a thing on their own.
Computer: I think Metagross sort of counts as one (and Porygon is a digital Pokemon). Also I feel a computer is a sum of parts and not a single thing on its own, sort of like with the sandwich.
Sausage: Already got Hot Dog on the list.
Existential Crisis: Ooh, I like this one!
Spatula: I think that'll fall under "Kitchen Utensils" which is on the list.

So new things added to the list: Wheat, Cheese, & Existential Crisis.

Also I have a batch of things myself to add to the list so here's the overall update:

PLANTS/FUNGUS: Hydnora Africana, Lithops, Bladderworts, Bat Flowers, Angel Trumpet, Telegraph Plant, Blue Passionflower, Welwitschia, Shaggy Ink Cap
FOSSIL:
Bug: Mimetaster, Marrellomorph
Other: Evolution of Primates
MARINE:
Clam: Clam Shrimp
CONCEPTS: Existential Crisis, Carollers, Spelling Bee, Tyromancy, Film: Phantom of the Opera
OBJECTS:
Food: Wheat, Cheese

Is there any Pokemon based around psychological pain and suffering? Something that (lore-wise) feeds off other creatures' traumas and willingly inflicts it on them? Any representations of mental diseases, such as schizophrenia, depression, substance abuse, split personalities, etc? I know it might sound a little dark for a kids' game but after the dying old man in Anistar City I expect anything

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
KingHeracrossTheBug:
Psychological Pain & Suffering: Going to say you need to get more specific, I feel this is too broad. Like I'm sure there's some Dark- and Ghost-types who do this though that would be more because it's an aspect of its type and an individual theme.
Schizophrenia, Depression, & Substance Abuse: Err, I'm going to have to put my foot down here on these. These conditions I feel are too serious to base a Pokemon off them. Like at most Depression is represented by the second half of the "Comedy & Tragedy" concept that's on the list. There's a difference between a theme that's part of a side story and a theme a Pokemon is based on. A theme of a side story is usually contained within that side story and isn't referenced anywhere else while a Pokemon may be used in other places where a theme such as this may not be okay (look merchandise aimed towards kids).
Split Personality: Though this I can see having potential. Though a Split Personality too can be a dangerous mental condition or formed out of extreme trauma, the core concept of a Split Personality can be argued is just that of an individual who has two or more personalities they switch between. So I think I can add this to the list.

Is there any Pokemon based around psychological pain and suffering? Something that (lore-wise) feeds off other creatures' traumas and willingly inflicts it on them? Any representations of mental diseases, such as schizophrenia, depression, substance abuse, split personalities, etc? I know it might sound a little dark for a kids' game but after the dying old man in Anistar City I expect anything
Sounds like Misdreavus' feeding off of fear or Shuppet feeding off of rage and anger. Not really the same, but not all that different.

I would love to see one based off of Schrodinger's Cat as a ghost/fairy. The Literal "ant-lion" one would probably be nightmare fuel but at the same time awesome. Dust bunny is kinda already Diggersby/Bunnleby, but I could see where they would be different. The card suits idea could be fun, with each suit being a different form. Then game freak would be stupid and not give it trump card or something.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I would love to see one based off of Schrodinger's Cat as a ghost/fairy. The Literal "ant-lion" one would probably be nightmare fuel but at the same time awesome. Dust bunny is kinda already Diggersby/Bunnleby, but I could see where they would be different. The card suits idea could be fun, with each suit being a different form. Then game freak would be stupid and not give it trump card or something.
I like the enthusiasm, but sorry, this thread isn't for discussion of what they could do with the ideas. This thread is already on the thin line of speculation/wishlisting and only remains allowed as long as discussions don't go into what types, stats, design, etc. (that's what the IRC is for or PMs).

As for Diggersby/Bunnleby being dust bunnies, I agree to some extent though, as you pointed out, they went a completely different direction with them. They based them more on digging tools (shovel, excavator) and for Diggerby a construction worker. "How does that make them different from a dust bunny concept" you may ask? Dust bunnies are usually associated with cleaning rather than construction; so while they have a connection (a dust bunny being a bundle of dirt and dust), the context of which the term is used is different.

Cresselia~~

KingHeracrossTheBug:
Psychological Pain & Suffering: Going to say you need to get more specific, I feel this is too broad. Like I'm sure there's some Dark- and Ghost-types who do this though that would be more because it's an aspect of its type and an individual theme.
Schizophrenia, Depression, & Substance Abuse: Err, I'm going to have to put my foot down here on these. These conditions I feel are too serious to base a Pokemon off them. Like at most Depression is represented by the second half of the "Comedy & Tragedy" concept that's on the list. There's a difference between a theme that's part of a side story and a theme a Pokemon is based on. A theme of a side story is usually contained within that side story and isn't referenced anywhere else while a Pokemon may be used in other places where a theme such as this may not be okay (look merchandise aimed towards kids).
Split Personality: Though this I can see having potential. Though a Split Personality too can be a dangerous mental condition or formed out of extreme trauma, the core concept of a Split Personality can be argued is just that of an individual who has two or more personalities they switch between. So I think I can add this to the list.
Split personality can have an ability that changes the Pokemon's stats according to situation, a bit like Aegislash's ability.
Maybe like, have it docile and highly defensive when at high HP, but suddenly when its HP falls beyond half, it suddenly has low defenses but high atk stat.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Split personality can have an ability that changes the Pokemon's stats according to situation, a bit like Aegislash's ability.
Maybe like, have it docile and highly defensive when at high HP, but suddenly when its HP falls beyond half, it suddenly has low defenses but high atk stat.
Once again, I like the enthusiasm, but remember, this thread isn't for discussion of what they could do with the ideas. This thread is already on the thin line of speculation/wishlisting and only remains allowed as long as discussions don't go into what types, stats, design, etc. (that's what the IRC is for or PMs).

I also added it to the list so there's no need to justify putting it on the list (unless someone has a reason it shouldn't be and then maybe we can have a discussion, but I think most are okay with it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)