"Worst Pokémon Ever"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh, that is just hilarious! Now we know Game Freak has been listening to us, about how we complained having Lucario, and then Latio/as handed to us!!!

Because they got really creative in making us have to earn our legendaries! This makes Magikarp look like a cake walk in comparison!!!
Well it is essentially a spare. Even if you stay in the alternate world, Cosmoem will still evolve into the box legendary of whatever game it's on at the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh, that is just hilarious! Now we know Game Freak has been listening to us, about how we complained having Lucario, and then Latio/as handed to us!!!

Because they got really creative in making us have to earn our legendaries! This makes Magikarp look like a cake walk in comparison!!!
That's one way to look at it.

There are plenty of supposedly "ugly" Pokemon who aren't really ugly from an audience's perspective because the cartoonish art style covers up their ugliness.

Garbodor is not one of those. Garbodor is the only Pokemon that I find genuinely hideous. Every part of its design screams "disgusting," from its worm-like tentacle to its mishappen body that literally resembles excrement. It even has... chunks. That's just not right...

However, what makes me truly dislike Garbodor isn't the fact that it's ugly. My problem with Garbodor is that it looks out-of-place among other Pokemon. Garbodor has more detail than most Pokemon do, but all of that detail goes into fleshing out its ugly parts, giving it a revolting pseudo-realism that just seems awkward when it's put side-by-side with something like Pikachu.

Putting these two together because they both got flak for being bad designs and concepts. I simply like ridiculous concepts like these which could probably come from someone at Gamefreak pointing at a thing and telling Sugimori "I bet you can't make that a Pokémon".
Garbodor, a frequent customer of lists like this, is a victim of poor graphics and a terrible choice of pose in all its appearances. If interpreted as being a terribly filthy, toxic creature living among garbage instead of being actual garbage come to life, it is actually quite a cool concept. A shame that GameFreak chose to display it as a derpy heap of silliness rather than a poisonous ogre scavenging landfills for food, using its smell and toxicity as a means of defense.
The idea of a trash Pokemon isn't bad conceptually. I just wish that Garbodor had a "clean" design for a trash Pokemon, as contradictory as that sounds. If Garbodor was like Grimer or Muk, who don't have all the disgusting gribbles, peeling parts, gross texture, and mishappen chunks, I would probably like it. However, as it stands, I feel like Garbodor doesn't belong in Pokemon. It seems more like an enemy I would encounter in a survival horror game.

If I were to design the Trubbish Line, I would probably make them Steel/Poison trash cans with teeth on the lids and eyes peeking out. The "trash" theme is still there, but the design is much more palatable and doesn't look out-of-place next to the likes of Magnezone.

There are plenty of supposedly "ugly" Pokemon who aren't really ugly from an audience's perspective because the cartoonish art style covers up their ugliness.

Garbodor is not one of those. Garbodor is the only Pokemon that I find genuinely hideous. Every part of its design screams "disgusting," from its worm-like tentacle to its mishappen body that literally resembles excrement. It even has... chunks. That's just not right...

However, what makes me truly dislike Garbodor isn't the fact that it's ugly. My problem with Garbodor is that it looks out-of-place among other Pokemon. Garbodor has more detail than most Pokemon do, but all of that detail goes into fleshing out its ugly parts, giving it a revolting pseudo-realism that just seems awkward when it's put side-by-side with something like Pikachu.

The idea of a trash Pokemon isn't bad conceptually. I just wish that Garbodor had a "clean" design for a trash Pokemon, as contradictory as that sounds. If Garbodor was like Grimer or Muk, who don't have all the disgusting gribbles, peeling parts, gross texture, and mishappen chunks, I would probably like it. However, as it stands, I feel like Garbodor doesn't belong in Pokemon. It seems more like an enemy I would encounter in a survival horror game.

If I were to design the Trubbish Line, I would probably make them Steel/Poison trash cans with teeth on the lids and eyes peeking out. The "trash" theme is still there, but the design is much more palatable and doesn't look out-of-place next to the likes of Magnezone.
I think Garbodor was meant for us to find it ugly.

Kind of like Bruxish (I mean, it looks too ridiculous to be accidental). If you are not finding them ugly, then there's a problem.

(Trubbish is cute, though)

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Idk, Bruxish's design has grown on me a little bit. ;-;

It does seem a bit out-of-place alongside other Pokemon though. It's pretty usable in combat at least; Psychic Fangs w/ Strong Jaw stings

This is THE worst pokemon I ever encounter through out every game. For me, it looks like more an animal rather than a pokemon. What's more, it kinda looks like an uncooked Moltres (really uncooked). In my past games, Fearow and Spearow are the worst. It dosen't let me escape, always pop up somewhere and killing my grass pokemon.

Hey! I'm not the only one who is getting annoyed from these things ( looking at Ash and Lillie).

Time to throw my hat into the mix.

Unknown.jpeg

Design: Oh, boy. It's a seal. Actually, no, I'll give it credit where it's due. It's a bigger seal.It doesn't even look like it's unoriginal namesake. At least do another crappy pun on the word seal like your pre-evo did. I feel like I could go to a zoo and see this thing. There's nothing that stands out.

Concept: Was there one? Honestly, what basis is there other than 'Oh, look, an animal that lives in the ocean, we need a couple of Ice types, let's put this guy in for Dex fodder!'. It comes along with every other water type in Gen 1 (Cinnabar Island/Seafoam Islands), and there's no reason to use over Cloyster (better defence), Lapras (better stats), Jynx (Psychic type) or Articuno (obvious reason - hell, it's in the same place, so why not catch Articuno instead?). No concept, no purpose, get out of here.

Competitive/In Game: First off, competitive. This thing has terrible stats (475 BST, best stat is 95 spdf), base 70 offensive stats means no use at all as an attacker. It's type grants no favours and it's abilities are useless. It's move pool is barren, being one of those cursed Water types to not get Scald, and one of the cursed Ice types to not get Freeze Dry. No reliable recovery, having no offensive presence and little defensive impact make this thing terrible.

Next, in game. This thing is the worst thing to run into in-game (now especially in Sun & Moon), but it has a bane on anybody doing a Nuzlocke. Why? Well, let's exclude the common moves of Whirlpool/Toxic or Perish Song (one of the most common and only viable movesets this thing can have. This little sh*t learns Sheer Cold. Not only that, it learns it not only by evolution in SuMo, but also earlier than all other Pokemon at level 34 in all other games (don't count Suicune, he has to relearn that). The number of Pokemon I have lost to that thing is immeasurable. Honorable mentions include Mewtwo, Delta Snorlax (Pokemon Insurgence), Alolan Raichu - the list goes on (For context, those have been randomiser nuzlockes). This Poke-burden should be expelled from the Pokedex immediately.

Rant over. I honestly hate this thing with a burning passion. I hope you feel the same.

You forget the Horn Drill + X Speed in Gen I game :D
I don't know why his Special was 95 in Gen I and became 70/95 in Gen II ...

No Water/Ice learns Scald because of Ice Pokemon fear Fire and Burn, that's clever. For Freeze Dry if you exclure Lapras, same shit for Freeze dry, because Electricity > Water type

Time to throw my hat into the mix.

View attachment 79584

Design: Oh, boy. It's a seal. Actually, no, I'll give it credit where it's due. It's a bigger seal.It doesn't even look like it's unoriginal namesake. At least do another crappy pun on the word seal like your pre-evo did. I feel like I could go to a zoo and see this thing. There's nothing that stands out.

Concept: Was there one? Honestly, what basis is there other than 'Oh, look, an animal that lives in the ocean, we need a couple of Ice types, let's put this guy in for Dex fodder!'. It comes along with every other water type in Gen 1 (Cinnabar Island/Seafoam Islands), and there's no reason to use over Cloyster (better defence), Lapras (better stats), Jynx (Psychic type) or Articuno (obvious reason - hell, it's in the same place, so why not catch Articuno instead?). No concept, no purpose, get out of here.

Competitive/In Game: First off, competitive. This thing has terrible stats (475 BST, best stat is 95 spdf), base 70 offensive stats means no use at all as an attacker. It's type grants no favours and it's abilities are useless. It's move pool is barren, being one of those cursed Water types to not get Scald, and one of the cursed Ice types to not get Freeze Dry. No reliable recovery, having no offensive presence and little defensive impact make this thing terrible.

Next, in game. This thing is the worst thing to run into in-game (now especially in Sun & Moon), but it has a bane on anybody doing a Nuzlocke. Why? Well, let's exclude the common moves of Whirlpool/Toxic or Perish Song (one of the most common and only viable movesets this thing can have. This little sh*t learns Sheer Cold. Not only that, it learns it not only by evolution in SuMo, but also earlier than all other Pokemon at level 34 in all other games (don't count Suicune, he has to relearn that). The number of Pokemon I have lost to that thing is immeasurable. Honorable mentions include Mewtwo, Delta Snorlax (Pokemon Insurgence), Alolan Raichu - the list goes on (For context, those have been randomiser nuzlockes). This Poke-burden should be expelled from the Pokedex immediately.

Rant over. I honestly hate this thing with a burning passion. I hope you feel the same.
I kinda like dewgong, somehow I like the design but meh...

Dewgong was one of my favorites in Silver to be honest, the second pokemon i got to lv 100 in that game.

Its is rather bland and hard to use ingme though. As i grew older my favorite pokemon somehow managed to be slowbro so i have a big bias towards water pokemon designs.

You forget the Horn Drill + X Speed in Gen I game :D
I don't know why his Special was 95 in Gen I and became 70/95 in Gen II ...

No Water/Ice learns Scald because of Ice Pokemon fear Fire and Burn, that's clever. For Freeze Dry if you exclure Lapras, same shit for Freeze dry, because Electricity > Water type
* Shudders *

It's completely true what you've said (Lapras is fearless of electricity - it can learn Thunderbolt by TM), but giving Dewgong those two crucial moves and some actual recovery, GF could make this thing NU. That typing and those stats hold it back tremendously.

Also, the special split of Gen II made some Pokemon even more broken (a la Snorlax) and completely screwed over others. I cry for Hypno and Tangela.

Parasect is one of those pokemons that could be great in theory thanks to their movepool, but in actual fact are bad due to a combination of negative traits.

It has even Spore support and Dry Skin is not even that bad as ability, but:
(1) Grass and Bug is an horrible offensive and defensive typing;
(2) Low Spe leaves it prone to almost every usable pokemon (including the defensive ones);
(3) Low base stats in general are really detrimental (at least Leavanny is good in-game thanks to its Spe, which enables us to run an Adamant nature).

It is difficult to use it even in-game ==> it almost reaches the bottom of the barrel in every sense.
Regarding its design it isn't that great either; it is an insect covered by a giant mushroom.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Regarding its design it isn't that great either; it is an insect covered by a giant mushroom.
Actually, it's more like a mushroom using the zombified, animated body of an insect for propulsion and self-defense. Parasect's main body is just a bloated Paras, the brain in charge is the one of the mushroom.

It may not look all that much, but when you know the lore of Paras and Parasect, their design improves scarily.

Yes, but this means the Bug-Grass typing doesn't really reflect this flavour because mushrooms aren't plants (look at the Grass typing) or animals.

Bug-Ghost typing makes more sense (the same typing of Shedinja, which is a zombified shell of a Nincada) ===> still, there is a problem of design and stats.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
At least, Amoonguss is a living mushroom such as Shiinotic and not a zombified one.
In these cases, the Grass typing makes still sense.
Oh, Parasect's mushroom is living totally fine. The insect underneath it, though... not so much, it seems. The bug is a puppet, the mushroom is the puppeteer. Just because it doesn't have a face itself, doesn't mean it doesn't have agency.

Oh, Parasect's mushroom is living totally fine. The insect underneath it, though... not so much, it seems. The bug is a puppet, the mushroom is the puppeteer. Just because it doesn't have a face itself, doesn't mean it doesn't have agency.
This brings up the question though - are there any Parasect that don't have the mushroom growing on their back? I've researched the Tarantula-Eating Wasp (essentially the premise of Parasect, except it's wasp eggs instead of zombie fungus), and there are rare instances of those that are affected escaping. I'd love to see realistic fan art of uninfected Paras/Parasect.

Also, GF really wanted Parasect to burn. Dry Skin means he's 5x weak to Fire.

This brings up the question though - are there any Parasect that don't have the mushroom growing on their back? I've researched the Tarantula-Eating Wasp (essentially the premise of Parasect, except it's wasp eggs instead of zombie fungus), and there are rare instances of those that are affected escaping. I'd love to see realistic fan art of uninfected Paras/Parasect.

You know what would be cool? Seeing a non-zombified Paras/Parasect as a regional form. I'd be very curious what typing it'd be as it'd essentially be a crab. Plus I'm a sucker for happy endings...

Dry Skin actually means it's 8x weak to fire. Ouch.

I suppose so I don't make this post completely wishlist-y, I suppose I'll nominate the Patrat family. It's probably the worst offender of the regional X thing in my mind and Gen 5 was the worst for this. But... Pidove? Alright, I could see someone liking it; we've never had a pidgeon Pokémon before and even though it has nothing unique in battle the gender difference thing is kinda cute plus it's your general flying-type. And while I do rag on the likes of Roggenrola and Munna and Bouffalant for basically being adaptions of Gen 1 Pokémon, they at least all have very unique things about them and in most cases only share a general archetype or theme in common with their progenitor.
But I can't imagine a universe where anyone liked the Patrat family. Useless, no unique niche, creepy and ugly as heck... the only 'memorable' thing is that it was an evolved Pokémon Lenora used to kick your ass. Even Raticate and Bibarel are cooler or more memorable in some fashion; Patrat doesn't even make a good HM slave!

But I can't imagine a universe where anyone liked the Patrat family. Useless, no unique niche, creepy and ugly as heck... the only 'memorable' thing is that it was an evolved Pokémon Lenora used to kick your ass. Even Raticate and Bibarel are cooler or more memorable in some fashion; Patrat doesn't even make a good HM slave!
Nah nah nah. The only memorable thing is does is annoy the hell out of you when battling Team Plasma goons who keep hitting you with Hypnosis. Honestly Patrat and Watchog are some of the worst designed Pokemon in Gen V and I happen to like most of them.

In my opinion you will never see a Parasect without a mushroom (though you might see a regional variant) because Parasect without the mushroom is essentially Paras. Have a look for yourself:
200px-Paras-parasect.png

Sure, there are a few differences between Parasect's body and Paras's body: The eyes, the claws, and the mouth. But these can all be explained for the most part; the eyes lose their pupil because Parasect is essentially dead, the mouth disappears because Parasect no longer needs to eat, and the claws get slightly different because... well I actually don't know, but they are hardly even different in the first place. You could also argue that Parasect's crab body is larger than Paras's, and it might be, but perhaps this is because the mushroom inflated Parasect's body? (lol im grasping now)

To summarize: Parasect and Paras are essentially the same Pokemon except that Parasect has a much larger mushroom growing out of its back.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

Let's talk about Manaphy Jr. This thing is outright terrible; medicore stats, movepool, and is a pain to obtain without trading to boot.

To start, having base 80 stats across the board is terrible. In this day and age, having base 100s across the board is starting to look more like a liability than a benefit, so base 80 only further ruins any hope of it performing well in-game or in a casual/competitive battle. If it had better defenses, it would be better off; its defensive options are okay, but it has literally nothing to raise its offenses unless you use a gimmicky Swagger+Psych Up set; no Tail Glow, no Calm Mind, nothing! Why it didn't inherit Tail Glow from Manaphy's movepool is beyond me. I understand it not getting Heart Swap since it was, until recently, Manaphy's signature move, but Tail Glow wasn't called for and the loss really hurts any glimmer of viability for Phione.

The fact that it was custom designed to live in Manaphy's shadow, thus making it a mythical by proxy, only further drives the nail in the coffin. It exacerbates the issue with its bad stats, it requires a Mythical Pokemon to obtain in-game, and, for some dumb reason or another, TPCI still thinks it deserves to be banned along with the mascot legendaries and mythicals from official rule-sets, as well as from in-game battle facilities.

Glalie shares the exact same states as Phione, yet Game Freak gave it a new lease on life by giving it a mega. What does Phione get? A Rest+Hydration set? Even Dewgong does that better, and even he's been recently nominated in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)