Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
School starting will hinder my progress on this, but I think I'll take a crack at Mega Garchomp. It looks like it'll be pretty fun to sprite.

from the chart ReddHawk34 has reserved it but I am not beyond having you make one since I haven't seen anything from him so far.
I'm sorry I haven't been able to get around to finishing that so anyone can do whatever they want with megablaziken

Anyone mind if I also reserve chigorasu and mgarchomp?

First draft of chigo is done. I need to refine it a bit more, but it's coming along nicely if I say so myself.

Last edited:
I might try to do Nyaonikusu and/or Amarusu, if no one minds me reserving them.
Edit: Since no one else has offered, I'm going to reserve Nyaonikusu (both genders) and Amarusu, however, since my spriting skills are a little rusty, I also encourage anyone else who wants to to take a shot.

Last edited:
For laziness' sake, the first edition of chigo is my new avie, made it in just over a half hour, definitely needs work, but what do you people think so far?

Here's my first rendition of Tyrunt, had it almost done but of course then the clearer image just had to be released.

It's got two teeth, you just can't see the other one. I'll fix the background later, but how's it look? I want some feedback.

@S0L1D G0LD

I think you should redo it, tracing over the official art. Seeing as you did the same pose, tracing over the art will give it the exact proportions it needs. If you are not going to do this, areas to improve would be making the head rounder, making the legs and feet smaller and using different colours because atm your colours are a bit wrong. Also you need to add the back leg in because at this angle, you would be able to see it by the right of the arm. But for a first rendition it looks good :) just try and make it look more like the official art! I hope you post more!

@S0L1D G0LD

I think you should redo it, tracing over the official art. Seeing as you did the same pose, tracing over the art will give it the exact proportions it needs. If you are not going to do this, areas to improve would be making the head rounder, making the legs and feet smaller and using different colours because atm your colours are a bit wrong. Also you need to add the back leg in because at this angle, you would be able to see it by the right of the arm. But for a first rendition it looks good :) just try and make it look more like the official art! I hope you post more!
Alright, thanks, it was just a 30-minute draft, I'll try and improve it.

Edit @Hollymon , if I trace won't it just be the exact same image? Or maybe I misunderstood you.

Last edited:
I didn't see any sprite of Dedenne, so I decided to do it. I didn't do any sprite for a looooong time ago, so it could be a bit unskilled xD

I don't know how to make a transparent background in paint, so i would be great if someone can fix that detail. Opinions?

Luke2000

Banned deucer.
if i were you i wound change the engine to 3d all you need to do to make it play ble 3d is a pulgine anyway you cound loock at the x and y anmine to get ideas for spirts my picture is crap but the y pokemon all you need to do is to be good at drawing

Attachments

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gold you really have to look at your sizing and line, stay grounded by finding mons of the same height and posture and look how they work.

Anyways took some dedenne improvements

Mostly the ears on the front and to stop the tail from colliding with the front cheek whispers.

I'm not saying I'm about to do Mega Blaziken or Mewtwo X but I'm relatively sure people will want to have good sprites for that so maybe I'll do one of those.

Mehh Mega Blaziken for me!

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Finally got this done. An interesting thing is that male Garchomp have a single notch on their back fins, while the females don't. But Mega Garchomp has TWO for some reason, so it would be best to wait for the gender differences to be revealed before adding them.

Also, I made some minor tweaks to Mega Lucario. The blue part of its legs are noticeably thinner than on regular Lucario, so on the old sprite it looked a tad bloated.

Last edited:
I have a question, shouldn't the animations have more.. movement? (Can't find the right word for this). Like, take a look at other Gen 5 sprites. The Pokemon does the same movement 3-6 times, then does something different.

Take a look at this Cinccino sprite. It does something outside of what it normally does (goes up and down with its scarfs). Are you guys gonna add that to the animations later, or no? Just curious. :x

Well tbf, these spriters have done a really good job and once the whole pokedex is revealed and the game comes out they will be doing a tonne of work so doing that with the animations is probably the least of their worries! But it is a good idea and maybe when all of the sprites have been finished, they might go back and add little different animations to each one :) also I want to start spriting so can someone link me or show me how to do it?

Legitimate Username

I have a question, shouldn't the animations have more.. movement? (Can't find the right word for this). Like, take a look at other Gen 5 sprites. The Pokemon does the same movement 3-6 times, then does something different.

Take a look at this Cinccino sprite. It does something outside of what it normally does (goes up and down with its scarfs). Are you guys gonna add that to the animations later, or no? Just curious. :x
Yes, most sprites go through a regular animation a few times followed by a rare animation. However, adding this can make animation take twice as long, when (at least in my opinion) it would just be better to animate twice as many sprites in that time.

I do plan on eventually adding rare animations to some that I've already done (I was actually thinking of adding it for Mega Mawile soon since its original sprite precedents it). But when we get hundreds more Pokémon and Mega formes to sprite, I doubt it'll be really worth it early on.

Also, here's a random fact: Aerodactyl is one of the few/only sprites that lacks a rare animation, so there is actually some minor precedent for not including them.

Yes, most sprites go through a regular animation a few times followed by a rare animation. However, adding this can make animation take twice as long, when (at least in my opinion) it would just be better to animate twice as many sprites in that time.

I do plan on eventually adding rare animations to some that I've already done (I was actually thinking of adding it for Mega Mawile soon since its original sprite precedents it). But when we get hundreds more Pokémon and Mega formes to sprite, I doubt it'll be really worth it early on.

Also, here's a random fact: Aerodactyl is one of the few/only sprites that lacks a rare animation, so there is actually some minor precedent for not including them.
Oh, alright.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I found out this project is making wind in other communities which I think is rather nice. PS is a resource that we all enjoy and having sprites for it will be a great feature. That being said if people have advice for some sprites by all means make an account and say it where we can easily take notice. If you are a spriter too we have hundreds of sprites to be made eventually so please do join your talent to ours! Also keep in mind not everything here is final, I've been known to 'finish' a sprite then come back a month later and fix tons of things. The initial sprites for PS for pokemon we discover after release probably won't be pretty in the rush to get something functional but there we will always look to improve.

Putting my money where my mouth is I've made Viv's eyes much more readable from the face

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)