Gen 1 Yet another standard gen 1 OU team

Hello there, so I was using sample teams in gen 1 OU for quite a while now, while using other people's teams is fun and all, I wanted to build my own team in gen 1 OU to open some room for counter-teaming, anyway since I'm not the best player in gen 1 OU, I looked at various good teams, searched for the parts that make them good and implemented a combination in my team.

Note: Sorry for being too lazy to implement sprites.

Teambuilding Process:
1. First of all, everybody needs a lead, I chose Starmie as it can defeat almost every other lead 1v1, it is also the sleep absorber of the team and it can take on bulky waters very well.
2. Later I added both Chansey and Rhydon as they are also musts on every team, I chose Rhydon over Golem for the extra bulk since I only have 3 walls.
3. I wrapped my defensive synergy with Exeggutor, this guy can get on Fighting-Type attacks (even though they are rare but it is nice to have), Psychic-Type attacks (Hello Alakazam) and it basically have a nice synergy with Chansey and Rhydon.
4. Finally I added both Snorlax and Tauros as last slots, I made this team just to try those guys on the same team, every other member is here to help them sweep, I've got 5 potential paralyzes on my team if you count starmie's t-bolt, and 2 exploding users, Snorlax is there to weaken stuff for Tauros mid-game so that Tauros can sweep.

Starmie
Ability: Illuminate
Bashful Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Standard lead Starmie set, I was thinking of fitting thunderwave somewhere there but thunderbolt is mandatory to deal with bulky psychics so that I cannot remove it, Blizzard and Psychic give it a very nice coverage to deal with leads, and recover is recover.

Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss
SoftBoiled, Ice beam and Thunder wave are mandatory on every Chansey, I chose Seismic toss because it helps in stallwars more versus Alakazam, Opposing Chansey and Exeggutor.

Rhydon
Ability: Lightning Rod
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Body Slam
Standard Rhydon moveset, except for substitute, this move is pretty awesome with Rhydon ability to force switches.

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
- Body Slam
- Surf
- Hyper Beam
- Self-Destruct

Tauros
Ability: Intimidate
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Pretty Standard

Exeggutor
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Explosion
- Psychic

Pretty Standard

Importable:
Starmie
Ability: Illuminate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Bashful Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Rhydon
Ability: Lightning Rod
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Body Slam

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
- Body Slam
- Surf
- Hyper Beam
- Self-Destruct

Tauros
Ability: Intimidate
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Exeggutor
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Explosion
- Psychic

Hmm, interesting team. Overall its structure is I think quite decent, but there are a few moveset choices and general thoughts that I disagree with.

First, if Starmie's taking sleep Water types could still be an issue for the team, as sleeping Star isn't going to check anything (except Cloy maybe). It's not the end of the world, since SToss Chansey can pressure them and your physical attackers can pressure Bro if it tries to set up, however it is still a point of weakness imo.

Having said that, I would recommend TWave>Tbolt on Star and Tbolt>SToss on Chansey. It's a bit more boring, but I really think it's better for this team. Blizz/Psy/TWave is actually the standard set for lead Star, since it spreads status, and hits Gengar and Egg super effectively- Tbolt is nice, but not super critical for a lead set. The reason I recommend it for this team is that you've got both Lax and Rhydon in your squad, two pokemon that benefit immensely from paralysis. Really the goal with that kind of core is to spam paralysis and play aggressively with your physical attackers to make the most of their wallbreaking power. As for the change to Chansey, Tbolt is to give anti-water coverage, compensating for dropping it on Star. You do lose a bit in the stall war due to lesser PP, but really that shouldn't be a priority for this team anyway, since the things that are likely to stall you (Zam and Chansey) you'd want to be bringing your physical attackers in on (ideally not on an attacking move though), with the only exception being if they have Reflect, in which case you're probably forced to PP stall.

For the record, Ice Beam is actually not mandatory on Chansey. Although it is very useful, one of Chansey's most potent sets doesn't use it (Softboiled/Reflect/TWave/SToss). With Reflect it's extremely difficult to KO and with SToss you threaten a lot of pokemon, as pokemon with Rest and other Chansey are the only things that aren't too thretened by it... and Chansey can't do anything except freeze in retaliation, while the set has a sizable advantage in a PP stall war as well. Then again, I still rarely drop IB from my Chansey so who am I to talk lol

Golem/Rhydon are far from requirements on teams as well imo. You may feel differently about them, but for me their abundance of weaknesses make them very restrictive.

Last thing, why did you opt for Surf on your Snorlax? It's not a terrible option, but I find it strange on this team as there's no special reason to target GolDon. I'd generally prefer EQ in that slot, as it still hits GolDon decently hard, while also hitting Gengar (admittedly not a huge issue for this team) and more importantly, circumventing Counter

overall a good job, hope I helped =]

Hmm, interesting team. Overall its structure is I think quite decent, but there are a few moveset choices and general thoughts that I disagree with.

Thanks

First, if Starmie's taking sleep Water types could still be an issue for the team, as sleeping Star isn't going to check anything (except Cloy maybe). It's not the end of the world, since SToss Chansey can pressure them and your physical attackers can pressure Bro if it tries to set up, however it is still a point of weakness imo.

i'll keep that in mind

Having said that, I would recommend TWave>Tbolt on Star and Tbolt>SToss on Chansey. It's a bit more boring, but I really think it's better for this team. Blizz/Psy/TWave is actually the standard set for lead Star, since it spreads status, and hits Gengar and Egg super effectively- Tbolt is nice, but not super critical for a lead set. The reason I recommend it for this team is that you've got both Lax and Rhydon in your squad, two pokemon that benefit immensely from paralysis. Really the goal with that kind of core is to spam paralysis and play aggressively with your physical attackers to make the most of their wallbreaking power. As for the change to Chansey, Tbolt is to give anti-water coverage, compensating for dropping it on Star. You do lose a bit in the stall war due to lesser PP, but really that shouldn't be a priority for this team anyway, since the things that are likely to stall you (Zam and Chansey) you'd want to be bringing your physical attackers in on (ideally not on an attacking move though), with the only exception being if they have Reflect, in which case you're probably forced to PP stall.

I can see your twave suggestion, I was thinking about it in the beginning but I thought thunderbolt was mandatory.
I'll try Thunderbolt on Chansey

For the record, Ice Beam is actually not mandatory on Chansey. Although it is very useful, one of Chansey's most potent sets doesn't use it (Softboiled/Reflect/TWave/SToss). With Reflect it's extremely difficult to KO and with SToss you threaten a lot of pokemon, as pokemon with Rest and other Chansey are the only things that aren't too thretened by it... and Chansey can't do anything except freeze in retaliation, while the set has a sizable advantage in a PP stall war as well. Then again, I still rarely drop IB from my Chansey so who am I to talk lol

Okay, I'm going to keep Ice Beam tho

Golem/Rhydon are far from requirements on teams as well imo. You may feel differently about them, but for me their abundance of weaknesses make them very restrictive.

Fair enough, although, their awesome core with chansey in addition to being able to take on Zapdos and almost every strong physical attackers is pretty good to pass tho

Last thing, why did you opt for Surf on your Snorlax? It's not a terrible option, but I find it strange on this team as there's no special reason to target GolDon. I'd generally prefer EQ in that slot, as it still hits GolDon decently hard, while also hitting Gengar (admittedly not a huge issue for this team) and more importantly, circumventing Counter
overall a good job, hope I helped =]
Comments in blue
Thanks for the rate and for the suggestions, i'll be trying them out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)