Your Favourite Song of all time!

Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. In all honesty it's not easy to choose a favorite song with Pink Floyd, but if there's a song which I can play for all of eternity without feeling bored, a song that continues to be... uh... inspiring everytime you listen to it, this has to be it.

It's been over 30 years since it released and it's still as fresh as ever. David Gilmour's solos are always brilliant, but this one has to be the best of them.

Roger, please bring your Wall to India!

My last.fm pretty much tells my life story :p

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
according to my ipods

5. Nsync - Gone
4. The Beatles - All My Loving
3. The Moody Blues - The Story In Your Eyes
2. Porcupine Tree - Trains
1. Live - Lightning Crashes

What the fuck Ala haha.

But uhh, my favourite song is probably Shapeshift by HORSE the Band, the way it effortlessly flows from chaotic noise into an amazing dance buildup is mindblowing, and when it finally explodes with that incredible keyboard melody and Jamie Stewart's (Xiu Xiu) hush-hush vocals it's like a dinosaur is eating your heart out from right before your eyes. It always makes me wish I could do that thing where the TV characters jump up and throw their fists in the air and the camera freezes mid-jump. But really, this song is what it's title promises, a shapeshift of sound.

you bumped 3 old threads to post the same shitty song?
I'm pretty sure he bumped 6. I think he's just here to plug that shit since every one of his posts is the same thing.

ONE EYED DOLL xD

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
According to my iTunes, it's Muse's Stockholm syndrome, but I disagree. I'm crap at favourite songs, so I'll have to go by band.

Muse: Hysteria. New born and motp are amazing, but this choice is just too obvious for me.

Rhcp: More difficult, but californication takes it every time. Road trippin I would never get bored of, and death of a Martian and Snow are lyrically beautiful, but Cali is just too good.

Rush: Harder still, so much that I can't pick between yyz and dreamline. Two brilliant songs.

Eminem: Like Toy Soldiers. That is all.

Metallica: Not much between king nothing and four horsemen. Different eras; two very different songs, both excellent.

Coldplay: The Scientist. Thought provoking, and a humbling melody.

AC/DC: Hells Bells. An amazing build up, and one of their few lyrically pleasing songs, though thunderstruck is up there too.

Green day: Ejn is the best of the modern stuff, though Longview is brilliantly relaxing.

And that's all the artists there.

Edit: if tup sees this, comfortably numb is brilliant; I'm seeing the wall at the o2 arena in may, so excited.

Mike likes nearly everything I like.

Muse I like all their stuff except stuff from Sunburn, but Undisclosed Desires is great. Snow and Dani California take it for RHCP. I feel like a total mainstream ass for saying that my favorite song from Eminem is Without Me, but I like White America too I s'pose. For Green Day I'd go with Holiday, and for Rush definitely Spirit of the Radio.

I also like pretty much everything from Flight of the Conchords (comedic musical duo).

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Augustana - Stars and Boulevards

I'm pretty sure that's my favourite song. It's hard to pin down one lol, but that's the only song that I've played on repeat for ages and haven't gotten bored of, and it has all the things that I like in a song. And the guy in my avatar is not me, and was most certainly not listening to this song...

Hm. My "favourite song" changes a lot (my first post in this thread had "Clone" by Gojira which I would not even consider in my top like, 50 anymore), so I'll make a list of some of them.

"Deconstruction" by Nevermore is one. It opens with some chilling acoustic guitar work and some rather creepy vocal work by Warrel Dane before switching to a ball crushingly doomy riff that sounds very akin to Candlemass and other "epic doom" bands. It has some really interesting lyrics and features both an acoustic solo and an electric solo, both of which are two of Nevermore's best solos; especially the acoustic one.

"Jane Doe" by Converge is just so fucking angry and full of bitterness. It's also amazingly "epic", with crushing midtempo'd riffs and Bannon's signature amazing vocal work. I don't have much I could describe it with. It's just so fucking powerful it leaves me feeling like I was just hit by a bulldozer of emotions by the time it's finished. Flawless.

"Snowblind" by Black Sabbath is one of those songs that I always liked but only recently realized how good it really is, probably because it's on Vol 4, which I don't consider that good of an album. It's about cocaine use but the instrumentation is where this song really shines, not the lyrics (though they are pretty good too); the main riff of the song is just really cool and I could listen to it for hours without getting bored.

"How Could I" by Cynic is very nice, although this place could also go to "Textures" or "Uroboric Forms" also by Cynic. It features the bands trademark proggy death metal and probably makes best use of the dual growled and vocoder "robot" vocals. The ending solo is also probably one of the best moments on the entire album, and not just solo wise. The song also has some pretty cool riffs in it, and as stated earlier, some of the best vocal work on the album is in here.

"Close to a World Below" by Immolation is just fucking crushing. The riffs in this song just sound like they're on fire and literally are melting my face off when I listen to them. I get the feeling I'm falling into a pit of fire and my skin is slowly being scorched when I'm listening to this song; it's one of the few songs I truly would call "evil" sounding. The lyrics are also very good, managing to be "anti-Christian" without sounding silly or immature;

"Closer and closer to God we believe
But farther and farther from grace we'll fall
Closer and closer to our kingdom of fire
Comfort us with words of hope
We stare into the coming dark
Blanket us with eternal night
The sweetness of death upon our lips
Far are we...From everlasting joy
Close are we...To a world below"

yeah that's about it

"Neighbordhood #1 (Tunnels)" - Arcade Fire

Below is me trying to explain it to a friend. The idea of this song not being the best song ever enrages me.

okay so i am pretty tired at the moment and the only thing that is currently on my mind is my own personal concerns, i'll respond to this stuff within the next few days but jesus christ i am tired

i'm glad you like all the music, but right now what i'm gonna do is i'm gonna aimlessly rant (maybe briefly) about why tunnels is probably the most beautiful thing i have ever heard

first of all, arcade fire recently did a live concert on youtube and they did a live version of the song. it is one of the single most amazing things that i have ever seen ever ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DpBOYzXcQ

a few things you should pay attention to when you watch that: yes, win butler (main guy) is pretty ugly, and will butler (on tambourine) is having a transcendently good time, it is like that dude has transcended fun and is just kind of on a whole other level

but anyway i brought this song up last winter saying that it totally makes me cry and really it still does at least 30% of the time i mean by the time you get to

"you change all the lead
sleeping in my head
to gold
as the day grows dim
i hear you sing a golden hymn
the song i've been trying to sing"

it i just absolutely isn't even fair, especially after they tell a story about a suburban neighborhood being covered in snow and then have a resilient loving couple tunnel through to each other to just sort of live by themselves, i mean i personally think that's probably the most beautiful thing of all time, then it goes into those piano flourishes that it has and i am just basically completely lightheaded whenever that happens

by the way when i say that it makes me cry i don't mean boo-hooing i just mean that my eyes well up, i mean this isn't toy story 3 type stuff

i am just beginning to realize that this message seems fairly WEIRD but yeah whatever, i still have an hour before shitty american government shit class

because i can, these are the lyrics

"and
if the snow
buries my
my neighborhood
and if
my parents are crying
then i'll dig a tunnel
from my window to yours
yeah, a tunnel
from my window to yours
you
climb out the chimney
meet me in the middle
the middle of the town
and since
there's no one else around
we let our hair grow long
and forget all we used to know
then our skin gets thicker
from living out in the snow

you change all the lead
sleeping in my head
as the day grows dim

and then
we tried to name our babies
but we forgot all the names that
the names we used to know
but sometimes
we remember bedrooms
and our parents' bedrooms
and the bedrooms of our friends
then we think of our parents
well what the hell ever happened to them

you change all the lead
sleeping in my head
to gold
as the day grows dim
the song i've been trying to sing

purify the colors
purify my mind
purify the colors
purify my mind
spread the ashes of the colors
around this heart of mine"

i dunno it's just kind of like every good feeling that i have ever felt shoved into a five minute song

whenever people say "okay joey you know something about music what is a band that i should listen to" i will say "arcade fire" because the fact that more people don't know about them is pretty weird, i mean they just sold out two shows at madison square garden and their album went number one

also they're this orchestral rock outfit that's all about love and brotherhood but not in a hippy way, i mean these songs are ludicrously sincere, just look at those lyrics, but i think the fact that they manage to do that without making themselves look like cornballs is one of the most magical things ever

sorry to go on like this but i've just been listening to this song so much lately and i hope it'll always be my favorite

War Ensemble By Slayer. Enjoyable song. Reccomend it to anyone into Metal music
"War Ensemble" is one of two or three songs I find enjoyable on Seasons in the Abyss. Slayer becomes uninteresting after Hell Awaits.

my favorite songs always change... because I hear a new one that is really good, because I listen to it too much... you get the picture..

But I really like Live To Win by Paul Stanley or Crush 'Em by Megadeth
Not a fan of KISS or much of Paul Stanley's solo stuff. It is a lot of cheesy image hard rock. Megadeth is my favorite band and I have to say there are so many better songs they have than "Crush 'Em".

To answer the question of this topic, my favorite song of all-time is probably "Looking Down the Cross" by Megadeth.

1. "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)" - Arcade Fire
2. "Layla" - Derek And The Dominos
3. "Tangled Up In Blue" - Bob Dylan
4. "Gold Soundz" - Pavement
5. "All My Friends" - LCD Soundsystem
6. "All Along The Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
7. "Sympathy For The Devil" - The Rolling Stones
8. "The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty)" - The Smiths
9. "Waterloo Sunset" - The Kinks
10. "In My Life" - The Beatles

Honorable Mentions

"Casimir Pulaski Day" - Sufjan Stevens
"Crossroads" - Cream
"Decoration Day" - Drive-By Truckers
"DLZ" - TV On The Radio
"Duncan" - Paul Simon
"Gone" - Kanye West
"Hey Ya!" - OutKast
"Holland, 1945" - Neutral Milk Hotel
"I'm In Love With A Girl" - Big Star
"London Calling" - The Clash
"Love, Reign O'er Me" - Neutral Milk Hotel
"Love Will Tear Us Apart Again" - Joy Division
"Maps" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
"My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue" - Neil Young
"Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang" - Dr. Dre
"Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground
"Stan" - Eminem
"Stuck Between Stations" - The Hold Steady
"Teenage Riot" - Sonic Youth
"Venus" - Television
"What A Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong
"Where Is My Mind" - Pixies
"World Sick" - Broken Social Scene
"Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore" - John Prine

I'll go with what iiMKUltra said - I can't make lists either, so let's list 'em by band.

RHCP - Pretty Little Ditty. Perfection in 3 minutes. Songs like Storm In A Teacup, Snow and Subway To Venus would make good runner-ups. Never been too much of a fan of things like Californication. The RHCP are my favourite band, but I don't think Pretty Little Ditty is my fave song ever.

Daft Punk - Digital Love, fantastic song. Both has something sweet, and something epic.

AC/DC - Beating Around The Bush / Let There Be Rock. BATB has an epic riff (one of the best ever? I think so), and LTBR is just all-out awesome.

Aerosmith - Walk This Way (without Run DMC). Fantastic riff, and nice solos.

Fatboy Slim - Everybody looking for some nice, ''old-school'' electronic music, check out this guy. My favourite is probably The Rockafeller Skank.

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. The song has something creepy and something sweet. Especially the windmill-riff is brilliant.

Guns 'N Roses - Paradise City. Especially the opening is great.

Jimi hendrix - Tie between Purple Haze and All Along The Watchtower. Purple Haze sends you on a kind of epic trip, while All Along The Watchtower is arguably the best cover ever made.

Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way. All-out bad-ass song.

Metallica - Trapped Under Ice / Fade To Black. Trapped Under Ice is epic and has some great solos, Fade To Black is just beautiful.

The Police - Next To You. Great singer, and a cool song in general.

The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die. Epic song with some nice little touches to it.

Queens Of The Stone Age - 3's & 7's. Not a great fan of QotSA, but 3's & 7's is bad-ass with a capital B.

Smashing Pumpkins - Beautiful song, with arguably the best solo ever.

Stranglers - Golden Brown / Peaches. Golden Brown is unique and beautiful, Peaches has one of the coolest bass lines ever.

Weezer - Say It Ain't So. Somewhat brainless music, but great nonetheless.

No idea what my top 10 would be if I had to make one, especially since I'd have to fit in stuff like Stairway To Heaven and Sympathy For The Devil in there somewhere.

Don't Stand So Close To Me - The Police

While this is not necessarily my favorite song of ALL TIME (I don't think I even have one), this one just popped into my head. I've always loved The Police, and Don't Stand So Close To Me puts into perspective vices that everyone has [though this guy is in it pretty deep ;) ]

Magical Girl from the Jet Set Radio Soundtrack.

It's fantastic, I could listen to it over and over and over, and it puts me in a genuinely good mood every time. I'm not really sure why, but I'll roll with it.

Close second would be either The General or Open Up by Dispatch. Can't tell which one I like more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)