Your Name [Anime -> Live Action]

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...kes-on-live-action-version-of-your-name-anime

So JJ Abrams is going to direct a live action version of "Your Name". Oh man my brain was running off in a hundred directions at once (as a Japanese American, anime lover, and fan of the original). The part of my brain worrying about Asians in media & white-washing, the part of my brain that thinks "cultural appropriation" angst is dumb, and the part that would wish for that 1/100th chance that some Asian talent may see screen time in a beautifully done, faithful adaption.

And then the part of my brain that honestly doesn't want any of that, and thinks that we would be most realistically likely to get a good film out of this (and arguably more interesting and more meaningful!) if it is done not like Ghost in Shell, but instead like "Shall We Dance"-- just make it entirely American from the offset.

There are a lot of powerful cultural themes in the film, and so many memes that are innately Japanese and cemented in a Japanese cultural context-- but honestly, at the end of the day, "My Name" is really a story about what divides and connects rural and urban life, and a connection that transcends those barriers.

GOD KNOWS the US could use exactly such a story now! And I argue that-- instead of just re-creating a movie that already exists, is beautiful, and arguably has nothing to be added to by being re-created in live action-- it would be much more interesting if the general concept and problem of the film were translated into an entirely American setting.

What would it be like if Mitsuha was pastor's daughter from a small coal town in Kentucky whose father had abandoned the church to become a politician in today's GOP? What would it be like if Taki was a privileged kid from a white liberal family in NYC?

I think there is a powerful and fascinating story to be had there-- especially given today's America; potentially even more powerful and interesting than the Japanese one.

Anyway, that's my initial reaction.

Do you expect this film to be terrible?
Do you think there is the chance for it to be great?
Would you rather see a faithful re-creation, or a cultural re-fitting?

It’s probably gonna be mediocre at best Live Action Remake schlock. Almost every animated film, western or asian, that has been adapted to the big screen as a live action film sucked ass, since either A.) The film spent ~60% of its budget on product placement (most common in kids' adaptations, such as Smurfs) or B.) The film strays too far from the lore of the source material, often drastically changing up characters, their personalities and backstories, and even the established lore (often seen in teen/adult aimed adaptations like Death Note).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Your Name should have done well in America but it didn't due to Funimation fucking it up royally with taking ages past the initial hype to release it. Which opens the doors for a live action version, and this news is too soon for a film that failed in America to be a lazy production. This was orchestrated by someone understands the original momentum, why it existed, and hopefully how to capitalize on it. And JJ is just the kind of schmaltzy musically competent director to be able to pull it off. So I'm hopeful. Still wish the original did better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)