Zapdos (OU Revamp)

So I volunteered to do this a while back, and finally got around to doing this. Just gonna throw out a rough skeleton of what I think this needs.

SubPass:
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spd
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice/Grass
-Substitute
-Baton Pass

Passes Subs and throws out TBolts. Nothing too fancy

Offensive w Status:
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Timid/Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice
-Toxic
-Baton Pass

This is the most necessary addition, since SPL it's one of the most popular sets. Basically uses TBolt (super powerful with Modest) to pressure teams along with Toxic and HP Ice to fend off Electric Resists. Baton Pass is to grab momentum.

ResTalk:
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD OR 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Calm/Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice/Grass/Roar
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Same as the old, but I added the spread I use on Modest ResTalk Zapdos

Agility:
Zapdos @ Magnet
(Insert Spread here)
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice/Grass
-Agility
-(Filler)

Heard Stories about this and tried it a couple of times, but I have no idea what the actual moves is so I'll leave it blank for now

OO: Mixed set, TWave, Light Screen, Metal Sound, PhysDef, Rain Dance

Yeah that was very sparse. Don't worry though guys, I'll be doing my best to fill this up and make it dex - worthy. :)

Last edited:

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You could easily enable Zapdos to survive 403 Atk Tyranitar's Rock Slide in sand by giving it 384 HP / 216 Def (252 / 40 in EV):
Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. Zapdos: 302-356 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

384 HP / 232 Def (252 / 104) let it live through jolly Aerodactyl's:
Choice Band Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. Zapdos: 323-380 (84.1 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Metal Sound, Choice Band (Thunderbolt/Drill Peck/HP Fighting/Double-Edge,Frustration - Baton Pass is worth a consideration as its 4th move, yet causes it to fizzle out against an opposing SDef Zapdos) and maybe even Thunder (Rain Dance, anyone?) should be among the other options.

What's the point of Magnet?

(I'd recommend waiting a little, until the metagame has settled down after the discovery of the Sleep Talk glitch.)

'tried it a couple of times' ... 'no idea what the actual moves is'
I just mean the filler move, I messed around a ton with stuff I thought could work. Some did, some didn't.
I could boost the Defense EVs on the ResTalk set to handle TTar but honestly I don't think it's worth it. Zapdos (all variants) SHOULD be running from TTar unless it's in TBolt range (or you're desperate and are trying to status the DD variant), you aren't going to be switching in and taking Rock Slides. Though the Offensive sets might appreciate it to get an extra hit off, again the EVs would be coming out of their Special Attack and would compromise their overall effectiveness. Plus what happens when you face CBTar, which still rolls over you? Aero could probably merit the spread as it WOULD be super clutch to surprise it but then again the Defense investment would compromise everything else which sucks. Unless I was running a fully PhysDef Zapdos (and I have no idea why one would do that, although now I think about it it would be a killer Meta check), I wouldn't run that kinda defense.

I do approve of the Other Options stuff though, except for CB. Will add those plus PhysDef ResTalk.

Magnet grants a bit of a power boost to TBolt as you can still find your hits a little underwhelming. I used to run in with Celebi or Lunatone to try and give it a pseudo - boost, and it was pretty effective, but yeah, Magnet hits a lot of things pretty hard too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)