SPOILERS! Zeraora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean because Pinsir is weak to it, or because Aerilate won't work on an Electric type Quick Attack? Because if it's like Ion Deluge, Aerilate will activate first and Quick Attack+friends will still be their respective Ability-typed moves and not Electric moves.
A quick attack wouldn’t work, but a Return on the other hand...

^ Quick attack was a bad example on my part because of the whole priority thing. Aerilate should still trump an Ion Deluge effect *if* Plasma Fists does take its cues from Ion Deluge. Even if PF hits first (not unlikely with Zeraora's speed), Aerilate should get to the normal move before electrification does. Abilities don't have priority like moves do.

I really don't know what GF intended with this effect. VGC doesn't use Mythicals, yet Normal moves are ridiculously uncommon outside of that format. Yeah, there are of course exceptions, (Mega Kang? Rapid Spin? Lopunny I suppose? Z-Hyper Beam, lol) but really not that many. Normal is a shitty offensive type. Where was the design intent behind anything to do with this Pokemon? I feel I'm missing some key bit of information... or alternatively, the whole thing was an intern submission, which would explain an awful lot.

INB4 new Zera form come Pokemon Switch...

edit; oooh spooky post count

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People are waaaay underestimating this thing, I'd be surprised if it doesn't end up OU especially with that absolutely amazing speed tier, and a completely unique niche as a physical electric type (the closest there is is Tapu Koko, and it's held back by the fact that its physical movepool is absolutely nonexistsent).

Although it does kinda lack power, 100 BP on a main STAB is really good, especially if you consider the fact that it'll almost certainly run Life Orb/Choice Band (more likely the former since HP Ice seems like a necessity on this). Plasma Fists' secondary effect is absolutely worthless in an OU context btw, the only reason it's good as the fact that it's basically an Electric-type EQ in terms of power and accuracy.

More than anything, this thing seems like a perfect foil to Tapu Koko, since it switches in on its Electric moves, outspeeds it, and takes advantage of its own Terrain. It also has coverage to hit Ferrothorn and Excadrill which is super important and makes it surprisingly hard to wall. I'm not sure what it's going to run, but Plasma Fists / HP Ice / CC or Fire Punch all seem necessary. Volt Switch seems good in the final slot but it has awful synergy with Life Orb. It might do what Tapu Koko does and run a Magnet with Volt Switch, since the rest of its coverage hits most targets hard enough without it, but still, LO seems generally better. Knock Off is very nice for Latis and Chansey but it's hardly a necessity, while GK might be a fun trolly move to break stall teams that rely on Quagsire or Hippowdon to beat it, but I don't see it being a main option. Btw, people are hyping up CC but Fire Punch seems like a really good alternative because it hits Ferrothorn, Scizor, Tapu Bulu and AV Tangrowth harder, all you really miss out on are Kyu-B, Excadrill and Heatran, the latter of which isn't taking Plasma Fists anyway. That being said, CC is definitely better in terms of neutral damage which can't really be ignored.

In any case, this thing is definitely going to be a threat, and once again, I cannot emphasize how great that speed tier is. I can guarantee that it will absolutely run circles around offensive teams.

Last edited:
Its definitely going to be an interesting mon, perhaps OU, but not as great as some people seem to think it will be. Its offenses are lacking, as is its movepool. It has a strong physical electric move without recoil, which it really needed. However, it doesnt only lack in offenses for higher tiers: Its bulk is also lacking. Where it comes in on Kokos electric moves, it cannot take 2 specs dazzling gleams, nor can it OHKO it back (
252 Atk Electivire Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 221-261 (78.6 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO = z plasma fist). Its speed tier is really good, but it's going to have to carry a boosting item, or it wont do the damage it needs to. Besides these points, its coverage is also a bit underwhelming: Fighting type coverage for the likes of ferro/chansey is nice and grass knot for bulky ground types like swampert/quagsire/hippowdon. No physical move to hit ground types though. It also gets fire punch, in case every team runs a ferrothorn, but i can't see it running that too often. Dragon and dark coverage are interesting options, especially knock off, but besides that move, which really doesnt help its coverage much, it doesnt have many more interesting moves besides set up in work up or bulk up (work up for lando)

No ice punch means it will have to carry hp ice for landorus, which promotes the LO set:
0- SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 239-286 (62.5 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- SpA Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 184-220 (48.1 - 57.5%) -- 42.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

You could go with a naive/hasty nature in order to get the 2hko on lando, but that lowers its already meh bulk:
0 SpA Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 204-244 (53.4 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

After one work up WITH life orb:
+1 0 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 400-473 (104.7 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Keep in mind that its below average bulk doesnt allow it to set up too easily though.

All in all, this pokémon is definitely interesting and fun for OU and possibly UU, but I do not think it will be something that's going to run the OU meta. With m latias gone in UU though, it might find a great spot there if it does drop.

I think it can run some sets, who are not totally bad in OU. For example one set that came to my mind is Z-Work Up:

Zeraora @ Normalium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Work Up
- Close Combat
- Plasma Fists
- Hidden Power [Ice]

+1 4 SpA Zeraora Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 316-376 (99 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 348-410 (98.8 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 368-434 (110.5 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 360-426 (118.4 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 4 SpA Zeraora Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 312-368 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It isn't to easy to setup, but if you manage it, it deals enough damage even without a Life Orb. I personally don't believe that it will have a major impact in OU, but it's not completely garbage.

Another funny set is this:

Zeraora @ Firium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fire Punch
- Plasma Fists
- Hidden Power [Ice]

It wrecks Ferro and Mega Scizor, but i don't think that this is competetive, maybe it can have succes, if the opponent doesn't expect it.

252 Atk Zeraora Inferno Overdrive (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 316-372 (92.1 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Zerora Inferno Overdrive (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 368-436 (104.5 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I think CB and LO will be the most popular sets and under electric terrain, this thing can deal heavy damage, but in the end, its not really worth to run it when you have Tapu Koko in your team, cause it does nearly the same thing.

Sry for my bad english... :P

Zeroara @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty / Naive Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat / Fire Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch / Knock Off / Grass Knot

I feel like this would be its most solid set in OU. Plasma Fists will be its main stab, and despite being a good Physical electric move, but being backed up by Zeraoras underwhelming attack stat, it hits for rather disappointing damage. Close Combat is a nice hard hitting move to compliment Plasma Fists, smacking Ferrothorn, Magnezone, Heatran and Excardil and allowing to revenge M.Lopunny more easily. Fire Punch is another option hitting more specific targets harder, such as Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu and M.Scizor, which other wise could set up in the face of Zeraora if a bulky variant. I feel Close Combat is better however as it provides solid nuetral damage along side Plasma Fists, hitting M.CharizardX and others hard. Hidden Power Ice is essential to stop Zygarde, Garchomp and LandoT coming in for practically free. Lastly I think the choices of Volt Switch, to pick momentum off the many things that wall it trying to come in, such as M.Venu, Clefable, Tangrowth and many others, Knock Off to cripple these switch-ins and hit Latios or Grass Knot to nail M.Swampert and Quagsire trying to gain a free switch-in. I went with Hasty over Naive to allow it to revenge kill Ash-Grenija more often, as it'll need more chip to be in range of Water Shuriken. Expert Belt is an item I considered, however I feel the boost to neutral damage from LO to Plama Fists will always be better.

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fists vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 165-195 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fist vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 278-330 (73.9 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 205-244 (58.2 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 156-185 (38.6 - 45.7%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 172-203 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 260-307 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega: 265-312 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 291-348 (91.2 - 109%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 286-338 (74.8 - 88.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 260-307 (72.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 299-354 (99.3 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 380-447 (111.4 - 131%) -- guaranteed OHKO

64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 463-546 (117.5 - 138.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Zeroara @ Life Orb / Electrium Z / Fightinium Z
Hasty Nature
- Work Up
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This seems to be another one of its better sets that could be used in current OU. After one Work Up Hp Ice now Ohkos defensive Lando, Zygarde and Garchomp. Plasma Fists and Close Combat are also boosted significantly, allowing for an easy cleaning at the end of the match once specific threats are weakened or removed. I feel these 3 attacks are staples on this set, providing solid but strong coverage to hit most of the tier. A FightiniumZ or ElectriumZ are options allowing Zerona to work as a more effective breaker instead, and if ran, and new spread of 236 Atk / 80 SpA / 192 Spe can be run, to guarantee the Ohko of Hp Ice on defensive Lando after Stealth Rock. FlyniumZ on bounce is an interesting option to lure M.Venu and Tang, as at +1 is can pick off both, however finding a way to fit it in if hard.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fist vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 246-290 (61.3 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fist vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega: 196-231 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fist vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 253-298 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 419-494 (111.4 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 309-364 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 426-504 (111.5 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 380-452 (106.1 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 380-452 (91.1 - 108.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 416-494 (116.2 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Zeroara All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swampert-Mega: 256-302 (75 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Zeroara Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 364-430 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Zeroara Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 380-448 (94 - 110.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 316-373 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega: 267-315 (77.8 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 336-396 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 343-405 (87 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 348-409 (99.1 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+1 80 SpA Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 336-396 (87.9 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Other Ideas:
Taunt, Toxic and Thunder Wave are more options for the LO set, with Taunt turning it into a disscount Koko, Toxic being able to cripple switch-ing such as Tangrowth and Quagsire and Thunderwave crippling offensive switch-ins such as Lati@s. If it does find its way into lower tiers, a special variant could be interesting, hitting physical walls wanting to come in harder and allowing Hidden Powers to be more effective coverage options. With Access to Thunderbolt, Volt Switch and Focus Blast, and a Hidden Power provides solid overall coverage despite lack of choice. CM can be used too, boosting the Special stat, copying Raikou somewhat and the opposite in Bulk Up, only boosting the physical stats.

Oh, could someone explain the Plasma Fist mechanics? Does the effect go before -ate abilities. Does it effect both sides of the field in doubles or does it only affect the target you attacked. Does the effect only last until the end of the turn, or is some sort of terrain or something set up?

Overall Thoughts:
Can honsetly say i'm kinda disappointed overall with Zeroara. Its design is really meh and seems to be trying to follow up the success of Lucarios design. Though I actually like the stat distribution, as I love the idea of mixed attacks and like the speed, this is completely let down by the mono electric typing (wasted opportunity for an Electric Fighting type, actually something unique) and the pointless gimmick of its Plasma Fist ability. Any relevant normal type usually has a solid secondary stab, and once you know the gimmick, you're never going for a normal move against it anyway. It just seems really generic and boring.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I ran a few calcs with this thing, and I think it's a bit stronger than its stats suggests. For example, here are calcs directly comparing its power to that of some (formely) relevant attackers:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ditto: 331-391 (139.6 - 164.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ditto: 341-403 (143.8 - 170%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ditto: 352-415 (148.5 - 175.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So yeah, in terms of raw power, its main STAB is basically between Thundurus and Alakazam's. Which is not bad at all.
Of course, physical attackers and special attackers aren't the same thing, but the novelty of a Electric-type that isn't necessarily dealt with by traditional special walls arguably works in Zeraora's favor, especially with Assault Vest acting as a magic "I can switch into special moves better now" button.
So yeah, neither of these are OU now for a reason, but that reason has more to do with them being outclassed than lacking power, and while Zeraora is similar to Tapu Koko, it definitely isn't outclassed by it.

I also think that Knock Off is the way to go on an All-Out-Attacker set, not only is is almost guaranteed to clean OHKO Latios, but it also hits a pretty unusual switchin: Mega Alakazam. Since it traces Volt Absorb and resists Close Combat, your best option vs it is Knock Off which, while not OHKOing from full, still has a pretty good chance to do so, and will always KO if Rocks are up.

Work Up is becoming more and more interesting to me, though. It really improves Zeraora's matchup against balanced teams which it otherwise struggles against. With Work Up, it can set up on stuff it can force out, like Toxapex and Celesteela, and increase the power of not only its main STAB, but also HP Ice. This can really help with not only easing prediction against bulkier teams, but outright sweeping them.
For example, if you send Zeroara in on a Celesteela Heavy Slam, and your opponent sends in Defensive Landorus-T predicting a Tbolt, you can Work Up on the switch knowing that Celesteela can't do a damn thing to you besides maybe Leech Seed, and cleanly OHKO the Landorus-T (and then presumably just run through the rest of the team). Because of its speed and its mixed offenses, it seems almost designed to be the perfect Work Up user, and I really want to try it out.

Last edited:
Zeroara @ Life Orb / Electrium Z / Fightinium Z
Hasty Nature
- Work Up
- Fusion Bolt
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This seems to be another one of its better sets that could be used in current OU. After one Work Up Hp Ice now Ohkos defensive Lando, Zygarde and Garchomp. Plasma Fists and Close Combat are also boosted significantly, allowing for an easy cleaning at the end of the match once specific threats are weakened or removed. I feel these 3 attacks are staples on this set, providing solid but strong coverage to hit most of the tier. A FightiniumZ or ElectriumZ are options allowing Zerona to work as a more effective breaker instead, and if ran, and new spread of 236 Atk / 80 SpA / 192 Spe can be run, to guarantee the Ohko of Hp Ice on defensive Lando after Stealth Rock. FlyniumZ on bounce is an interesting option to lure M.Venu and Tang, as at +1 is can pick off both, however finding a way to fit it in if hard.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fist vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 246-290 (61.3 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fist vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega: 196-231 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Plasma Fist vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 253-298 (64.2 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 419-494 (111.4 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Zeroara Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 309-364 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 426-504 (111.5 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 380-452 (106.1 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 380-452 (91.1 - 108.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 64 SpA Life Orb Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 416-494 (116.2 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Zeroara All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swampert-Mega: 256-302 (75 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Zeroara Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 364-430 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Zeroara Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Tangrowth: 380-448 (94 - 110.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 316-373 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 124 Def Scizor-Mega: 267-315 (77.8 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 240 HP / 156 Def Mew: 336-396 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 343-405 (87 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+1 236 Atk Zeroara Gigavolt Havoc (180 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 348-409 (99.1 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+1 80 SpA Zeroara Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 336-396 (87.9 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Quesion. Why does Zeraora have Fusion Bolt?

Last edited:
I’m sure Gamefreak opted not to make it Fighting in response to the overwhelming number of Tapus they see in tournaments. Anyone got a dex entry for this guy yet?

Funny people bring up Assault Vest as a set, because when I envision this mon wearing an Assault Vest, I'm reminded of an old AV user from ORAS that seems really similar:

It's also funny because Raikou's Hidden Ability used to be Volt Absorb, but now it's Inner Focus lmao

With Volt Absorb and an AV, I can see this mon being a pretty decent Specs Koko/SG BoltBeam Magearna check, meaning they can't just spam their Electric attacks for free. Here's a sample set I made that may or may not be good:

Zeraora @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 Atk / 72 SpD / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Close Combat
- Plasma Fists

Speed outpaces Lop, Mane and whatever else that is slower, 72 SpDef means that Koko's Specs Dazzling Gleam doesn't 2HKO after Stealth Rock, and the rest goes to Attack to strengthen Plasma Fists and Close Combat, while keeping a Hasty nature to have HP Ice 2HKO defensive Lando.

Other moves that I see working on the set are Knock Off, Fire Punch, Fake Out, Grass Knot, and even Drain Punch for a recovery option against Tyranitar and Bisharp (although it'll be pretty weak against a lot of other mons).

Besides Assault Vest, it also gets Bounce, funnily enough, so it could also make a Bulk Up/Work Up + Flyinuim Z set work if it wanted to, which would blow back Grass types like Venu, AV Tangrowth, and Bulu:

Zeraora @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 Def / 192 Spe or 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Jolly / Hasty Nature
- Bulk Up / Work Up
- Bounce
- Close Combat / Hidden Power Ice
- Plasma Fists

I was initially disappointed with this mon, but I'm starting to see some potential.

Last edited:
I think it is important to run 252 atk evs to be able to almost ohko mega lop
252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 248-294 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

If a strong hp ice is needed, it also learns fblast and thunderbolt to go full special. However, i do think that a Plasma Fists/CC/Vswitch/hpice set with a 252 Atk / 64 SpD / 192 Spe spread is the best option for assault vest.

First of all Zeraora needs only 192 EVs on speed to outspeed pretty much every mon in OU (non scarfed) so 64 EVs can and should go to SpAtk. With that being said...

64 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 281-333 (78.4 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

64 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 152 SpD Zygarde: 218-260 (52.2 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

64 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 286-338 (74.8 - 88.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Don't understimate this guy as it will be a big offensive threat in the metagame. I rest my case

First of all Zeraora needs only 192 EVs on speed to outspeed pretty much every mon in OU (non scarfed) so 64 EVs can and should go to SpAtk. With that being said...

64 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 281-333 (78.4 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

64 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 152 SpD Zygarde: 218-260 (52.2 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

64 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 286-338 (74.8 - 88.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Don't understimate this guy as it will be a big offensive threat in the metagame. I rest my case
Your signature's gif is an exact representation of the set you're describing.

I think it is important to run 252 atk evs to be able to almost ohko mega lop
252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 248-294 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

If a strong hp ice is needed, it also learns fblast and thunderbolt to go full special. However, i do think that a Plasma Fists/CC/Vswitch/hpice set with a 252 Atk / 64 SpD / 192 Spe spread is the best option for assault vest.
Actually, 244 Attack hits the exact same rolls against Mega Lop, which would enable you to still run my suggested 72 SpDef spread to have a better time vs Specs Koko's Dazzling Gleam. However, I do agree with your reasoning on more Attack, and I'll edit my post accordingly.

Seriously this guy is screaming lucario is my relative all over the place, and it is really awkward why isn't this guy a fighting type as well. At least be creative and give it something like steelworker-like abilities to boost fighting type attacks like a pseudo STAB, or give it that whatever that speed boosting ability when struck by electric type attacks is called, instead of friggin volt absorb of all things. It does heavily reduce the amount of weaknesses it has to worry about as a pure electric type (because all it has to worry about is just earthquakes but not much relevant pokes can outrun this guy), but still.

Anyway, guy has the potential to run a dual attack setup and that unmatched speed further helps a lot. The lack of ice punch would force it to run HP ice if you are that desperate to deal with dugtrio or chompy, but honestly I'm never a fan of overly relying on HP as coverage especially when they are nerfed so badly they don't really do a ton of damage even if they are SEs.

Guy doesn't pack a particularly big punch on both sides bst wise, but due to the particularly powerful and viable moves it has on the physical side (as well as the relatively poor choices you can get from the special side), basically you might wanna go physical, and probably pack volt switch (and probably grass knot to dent something like ground types that doesn't resist it) if things goes wrong for it. Heck, guy even has fake out for this purpose, and a 143 speed volt switch backed by its 103 special attack is something that Koko would have wished for.

Guy also packs a not-so-bad defensive side as a speedy attacker or pivot, so bulking up and try to overpower something might not be totally unthinkable or unrealistic, especially because of its lack of major weakness flaws it wouldn't be impossible for it to switch in (although it does have a relatively bad resistance list), and pull out a bulk up for a super charged CC or Plasma Fists to blow whatever the enemy is trying to throw towards you. Because it's already so fast, it is also perfectly OK for it to not have any speed boosts to pull out a power up, either. The only thing that fully blocks its electric/fighting/general physical attack coverage is Golurk which is not OU viable at all, and even so that thing would absolutely hate a grass knot that came out from nowhere.

Guy has quite some potential that can be OU viable, although not like super broken or something.

Last edited:
Being the 12th fast pokemon is cool. Allowing it to outspeed greninja. Unfortunately, it doesn't switch in on greninja and takes 63% min from specs water shuriken (3 hit). Wish it could have something besides speed. U turn access would be nice, allowing it to switch against ground types into something that can actually deal w/ them because it doesn't get ice punch. Close combat and Plasma Fists are a must on every set. Throat Chop and Knock Off are also solid options as Throat Chop gives you consistent damage, whereas Knock Off obviously removes your opponent's item, and potentially revealing an opponent to have a Z-Move. Thankfully it's only weakness is to ground types and w/ 75 defense, it may be able to run a Bulk Up set in lower tiers. It's able to 2HKO Defensive Landorus-T w/ HP Ice w/o investment. Sadly, while Zaraora may outspeed Koko, it doesn't have the power that Koko does. With the influx of pokemon that just gained new move tutors, Zeraora wishes it could have better coverage options. Choice Banded may be the way to go, considering you'll only ever be clicking 2 moves. Fighting type would allow it to resist stealth rocks as well as give it stab on close combat. I think we can all agree that this thing should have been fighting type and been given ice punch

First of all, I love this thing, coolest design ever, would be my new favorite Pokemon if not for it being mythic. Probably even going right on my team to replace Electivire.

That said, I don't see this thing being used/much better than Electivire. On the defensive side, they are about the same, Zeraora has a little bit more in each stat though. Unless you decide to run a mix set and have to put a negative nature on a defense stat though, that's something to consider. Meanwhile while Electivire is free to sit on Adamant and not give a hoot to it's SpA. On the offensive side, a fully invested Adamant-vire hits harder than even a fully invested Zeraora can do if going full physical. Electivire also has Ice Punch. For speed, both these guys are wanting to get hit with electric type attacks, but in Electivire's case it means a speed boost, just one and it can out speed Zeraora, who has no way of increasing it's own speed on its own. The best way to set it apart from Electivire is to go with a mixed set since it actually has some SpA to make use of. So I think your best options are offensive (252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe w/ Plasma Fists / CC/ HP [Ice] / Filler), or try to do soemthing a little more clever like (Plasma Fists / Fake Out / Volt Switch / [Suprise Move]) for some repeatable hit and run shenanigans.

First of all, I love this thing, coolest design ever, would be my new favorite Pokemon if not for it being mythic. Probably even going right on my team to replace Electivire.

That said, I don't see this thing being used/much better than Electivire. On the defensive side, they are about the same, Zeraora has a little bit more in each stat though. Unless you decide to run a mix set and have to put a negative nature on a defense stat though, that's something to consider. Meanwhile while Electivire is free to sit on Adamant and not give a hoot to it's SpA. On the offensive side, a fully invested Adamant-vire hits harder than even a fully invested Zeraora can do if going full physical. Electivire also has Ice Punch. For speed, both these guys are wanting to get hit with electric type attacks, but in Electivire's case it means a speed boost, just one and it can out speed Zeraora, who has no way of increasing it's own speed on its own. The best way to set it apart from Electivire is to go with a mixed set since it actually has some SpA to make use of. So I think your best options are offensive (252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe w/ Plasma Fists / CC/ HP [Ice] / Filler), or try to do soemthing a little more clever like (Plasma Fists / Fake Out / Volt Switch / [Suprise Move]) for some repeatable hit and run shenanigans.
Electivire depends on electric attacks to bypass its mediocre 95 Speed. Zeraora outspeed almost the entire nonscarf OU metagame by default, that's the big difference keeping aside all the theorymon.

Electivire depends on electric attacks to bypass its mediocre 95 Speed. Zeraora outspeed almost the entire nonscarf OU metagame by default, that's the big difference keeping aside all the theorymon.
Was thinking about that too. Right now my Elective's main/sole use on my team is to switch into electric attacks my other Pokemon would take, so maybe my experience is tainted in that way. Without the speed, 'Vire might take a hit, but can often KO in return, if often just barely, which makes me fear for this guy, seeing as he's a smidge weaker, speed doesn't do much good if you can seal the deal and get KO'd yourself, especially if you dropped a defensive stat, via nature, for a mixed set. But I think you're probably right, having that speed out of the gate, with an Atk that isn't THAT much less than 'Vire is probably a bigger deal than my gut says :/ Either way, I'm ridiculously stoked to try it out for myself when he's finally released (Probably next year some time...)

Thinking about this thing a little more, Zeraora, while already outclassed by itself, pretty much invalidates any reason to run Mega Manectric, as Zeraora is faster, is not so frail (not factoring Intimidate), has similar coverage and, thanks to being able to run a Life Orb, actually hits harder with its STAB.

Thinking about this thing a little more, Zeraora, while already outclassed by itself, pretty much invalidates any reason to run Mega Manectric, as Zeraora is faster, is not so frail (not factoring Intimidate), has similar coverage and, thanks to being able to run a Life Orb, actually hits harder with its STAB.
I don't know about that. Mega Manectric hits entirely on the Special side, as opposed to Zeraora, who will likely be Physical or Physically oriented Mixed in most cases, making it more vulnerable to Intimidate and W-o-W. It could go full Special with T-Bolt, Volt Switch, HP Ice, and Grass Knot/Focus Blast, but Manectric has the advantage of a potential Lightning Rod boost, Intimidate to similarly easy switch-ins, and Overheat, which is just plain more reliable than Focus Blast and more powerful than Zeraora's other coverage options.

I still think that Zeraora is a good Mon, and that it will do well in the competitive scene, but I don't think that it will necessarily invalidate Mega Manectric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)