Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Because Arceus can only be obtained at Level 100, meaning it can't be EV trained regularly - you can only EV it using vitamins (eg Carbos). The EVs given by vitamins cap at Level 100.

EDIT: Sniped.

EDIT2: Okay. Guys. Seriously. How the hell do you actually deal with Ho-Oh? I mean, it's so bulky that it's nearly impossible to revenge-kill, its STABs are so strong and it keeps demolishing me because I'm not prepared to run ScarfTar. Palkia can't deal with it, Latias can't deal with it, Giratina-O can't deal with it - how can I cover Ho-Oh at the team-building stage?

^Kyogre. Palkia and Dialga in the rain also works. Darkrai can use Dark Void, and any Pokemon with high SAtk in the rain can use Thunder to deal massive damage. Groudon can use Stone Edge and Rayquaza/Garchomp/Salamence can deal strong physical hits in the forms of Outrage, boosted Dragon Claw, and Stone Edge. Wobbuffet is also an option.

@ZeroTarken: But can't you use the box trick to give it 252 EVs in a stat?

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ice-eyes, you need to make sure you include Stealth Rock on your team, and have a way to keep it from being spun away, like Giratina-O. Kyogre is also helpful, as rain is very useful in taking it down, but be careful of Brave Bird.

@xing, medicines only allow you to go up to 100 EVs in a stat, (edit) also I'm not sure about the box trick see the below post

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
^Kyogre. Palkia and Dialga in the rain also works. Darkrai can use Dark Void, and any Pokemon with high SAtk in the rain can use Thunder to deal massive damage. Groudon can use Stone Edge and Rayquaza/Garchomp/Salamence can deal strong physical hits in the forms of Outrage, boosted Dragon Claw, and Stone Edge. Wobbuffet is also an option.

@ZeroTarken: But can't you use the box trick to give it 252 EVs in a stat?
The Box Trick worked that way in Gen3, where you could fully EV it that way, but it does not work in Gen4. Nowadays, you must gain EXP to gain EVs (apart from the vitamins).

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
EDIT2: Okay. Guys. Seriously. How the hell do you actually deal with Ho-Oh? I mean, it's so bulky that it's nearly impossible to revenge-kill, its STABs are so strong and it keeps demolishing me because I'm not prepared to run ScarfTar. Palkia can't deal with it, Latias can't deal with it, Giratina-O can't deal with it - how can I cover Ho-Oh at the team-building stage?
Two words: Stealth Rock. Giratina-O can deal with it, just run Outrage instead Dragon Claw, and Ho-oh will find it hard to damage you without dying. If you have Kyogre on your team, just keep the rain falling and it cause much trouble. If you have defensive Groudon, run some Speed on the to outpace for the OHKO with Stone Edge. For example:

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP/32 Def/188 SpD/36 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Filler

Now, I know people would probably start wising up and running more Speed on Ho-oh, but you can just run more speed on Groudon. If it gets so fast that you're losing defensive capabilities, just give up because Ho-oh would have lost a truck load of bulk as well so a lot more other things can kill it.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, Shedinja doesn't really work that well in Ubers currently. To use Shedinja effectively, you need to use Rapid Spin to get rid of entry hazards. That is easier said then done in an environment where 99% of teams use SR, and bulky Spinblockers are everywhere. Also, nearly every team carries Fire- or Dark-type attacks. Sheninja has a small niche, but its extremely hard to use it effectively.

firecape

This is the end...
In my opinion, it is better to just use standard Pokemon, because if your opponent carries a Giratina-O or Giratina, you basically have 5 team members, and Shedinja becomes dead weight.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea I would agree with above however it has been used effectively by Ace Matador I think and used it in his Uber Stall team in the Archive. Granted its [Sheddy] very hard to use in Ubers though.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
That team was created before the advent of MAS Giratina-O and the Ho-Oh surge which increased its popularity - Rapid Spinning is really difficult now.

Hey guys, do latias actually need calm mind? I know the standard set is dragon pulse, thunder, recover/roost, and calm mind. But I have found a set of dragon pulse, grass knot, hp fire, recover/roost much more effective, mainly because it ko unsuspecting scizor (hp fire)and give you a tools to hurt Tyranitar(grass knot), while still hit kyogre with grass knot. I have never found myself use calm mind and doubt its usefulness.

firecape

This is the end...
Without Calm Mind Latias may struggle to beat other Pokemon who boost with Calm Mind, such as Kyogre. In the end it comes down to personal preference

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Calm Mind is there so Latias can win a Calm Mind war against the Pokemon she's supposed to counter. It's a bit harder to win against CM Kyogre or even CM Manaphy if you're lacking Calm Mind.

EDIT: Oh, and pretty much ANY version of Manaphy would walk over that Latias since it's running Grass Knot, lol, and Manaphy really isn't something Latias wants to lose to.

The thing is that no calm mind kyogre is going to stay in to latias as people expect it can calm mind too. But yeh this is a kind of a bluff to your opponent and if this set become popular people may let their kyogre stay in and calm mind. For the Manaphy problem you can easily fix it by running thunder over grass knot

Hey guys, do latias actually need calm mind? I know the standard set is dragon pulse, thunder, recover/roost, and calm mind. But I have found a set of dragon pulse, grass knot, hp fire, recover/roost much more effective, mainly because it ko unsuspecting scizor (hp fire)and give you a tools to hurt Tyranitar(grass knot), while still hit kyogre with grass knot. I have never found myself use calm mind and doubt its usefulness.
If you want coverage, Latios fits the bill much better than Latias. She may take bullet punches better than her brother, but Latios can dish the damage far more effectively. Also Latios doesn't have the room to calm mind, unlike Latias, so unless you wanna waste power, use Latios' with draco/pulse/hp fire/grass knot.

what do you think about Snorlax in Uber? Is he decent? I mean he has the Sdef to take the strong SAtk in uber, and he can hit uber weaker physical defenses. Not bad typing, ability and move pool, so?

firecape

This is the end...
I have actually extensively tested Snorlax, and he can take a decent amount of hits, but his power is lackluster. He can barely OHKO anything while he takes a huge beating (at least 2 hits, 1 switching in and 1 while he attacks) just to get 1 hit in, so by the time Snorlax gets a kill (if he doesn't die in the process), he is already damaged beyond repair. Therefore, I found I was really only using him for his powerful Selfdestruct, which isn't really worth a teamslot.

To quote Theorymon...

"If Snorlax had Slack Off he would have an analysis"

He's really let down by the lack of instant recovery. For the role of a dedicated special wall, I would take Blissey. For an SDef-oriented tank that can hit back, I would take Tyranitar.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does anyone know of a PO server that's not full of people using Blast Burn Charizard in Ubers and people trying to break my Kyogre +6 Sub with -6 SpA Dialga Fire Blast? I'm on PokeBattleCenter and I've been wanting to use Arceus for so long and now that there's some cool analyses for it, it's not even fun due to the lack of talent. I'm bored!

Hey guys, i started plaing ubers about two weeks ago and since then have learned a lot about the tier. I have made plenty of teams and am currently trying to get a spot on the leader board with a team i have spent a lot of time and thought creating.

My team however has a glaring weakness once it sets up: Rock Polish Groudon. Groudon has a very difficult time setting up on my team, only being able to set up on 1 move from my choice scarfer. However, once it sets up its game and im tryign to figure out a way to finally be able to counter this monster.

On pokemon online i can change the team to use a groudon of myself along with an extreme killer Arceus to kill rp groudon. However, this is not an option on shoddy battle.

Does anyone have any general Groudon counters for suggestion? My team has a completely open last slot so any ideas on how to counter a groudon while it sets up/ while it has already gotten rockpolish down will be greatly appreciated.

I have searched many areas on smogon to get a feel for good counters but i would like the opinion of players that are probably more experienced then me at ubers.

Thank you for your time =D.

firecape

This is the end...
Does anyone know of a PO server that's not full of people using Blast Burn Charizard in Ubers and people trying to break my Kyogre +6 Sub with -6 SpA Dialga Fire Blast? I'm on PokeBattleCenter and I've been wanting to use Arceus for so long and now that there's some cool analyses for it, it's not even fun due to the lack of talent. I'm bored!
You can go on IRC (The tutorial to getting it) and join #Ubers, many of us test Arceus sets and battle with one another there, just don't constantly ask for battles if you decide to join ;).

Hey guys, i started plaing ubers about two weeks ago and since then have learned a lot about the tier. I have made plenty of teams and am currently trying to get a spot on the leader board with a team i have spent a lot of time and thought creating.

My team however has a glaring weakness once it sets up: Rock Polish Groudon. Groudon has a very difficult time setting up on my team, only being able to set up on 1 move from my choice scarfer. However, once it sets up its game and im tryign to figure out a way to finally be able to counter this monster.

On pokemon online i can change the team to use a groudon of myself along with an extreme killer Arceus to kill rp groudon. However, this is not an option on shoddy battle.

Does anyone have any general Groudon counters for suggestion? My team has a completely open last slot so any ideas on how to counter a groudon while it sets up/ while it has already gotten rockpolish down will be greatly appreciated.

I have searched many areas on smogon to get a feel for good counters but i would like the opinion of players that are probably more experienced then me at ubers.

Thank you for your time =D.
Well, Shaymin-S holding a scarf can outspeed Groudon after a Rock Polish if Groudon isn't using a Jolly nature. Giratina-O can survive a Stone Edge and do massive damage with Draco Meteor. Scarf Mewtwo can outspeed it (as long as it isn't Jolly) after Rock Polish, and do a lot of damage with Ice Beam/ Grass Knot. Wobbuffet can usually survive any attack it has, and OHKO with Counter. A Groudon of your own can take a hit and Roar it away. A Choice Specs Kyogre with 252 HP will not die to Earthquake as long as Spikes aren't down, and can OHKO with Surf. Lastly, a Lugia can take a STone Edge and set up Reflect, then procede to Whirlwind Groudon away. There are probably more, but this, hopefully, is enough for you to choose from.

Well, Shaymin-S holding a scarf can outspeed Groudon after a Rock Polish if Groudon isn't using a Jolly nature. Giratina-O can survive a Stone Edge and do massive damage with Draco Meteor. Scarf Mewtwo can outspeed it (as long as it isn't Jolly) after Rock Polish, and do a lot of damage with Ice Beam/ Grass Knot. Wobbuffet can usually survive any attack it has, and OHKO with Counter. A Groudon of your own can take a hit and Roar it away. A Choice Specs Kyogre with 252 HP will not die to Earthquake as long as Spikes aren't down, and can OHKO with Surf. Lastly, a Lugia can take a STone Edge and set up Reflect, then procede to Whirlwind Groudon away. There are probably more, but this, hopefully, is enough for you to choose from.
I'll add few to this list if you don't mind, as some of them are viable in Ubers ;).

For first probably the best counter is Bronzong. Resist all Groudon attacks (bar not often Fire Punch) and may Toxic Groudon or just Gyro Ball it for good damage.

Another good option is Cresselia. Just to show you Cresselia survives +4 (!) Swords Danced Stone Edge from Groudon. When you switch Cresselia on RP Groudon, then Groudon can't do anything.

Another good counter, which I personally love to use if Physically Defensive MewTwo. You switch in, Groudon attacks when you Reflect, you easily Recover and from there you may WoW/Ice Beam it to death. Also thanks to Taunt MewTwo does well against Ubers Stall.

Physically Defensive Skarmory (specially defensive also isn't bad, however critical Stone Edge hurts as hell) is another good check. You may throw spikes, Roost when neccesary and just Whirlwind poor Groudon away.

Not popular pokemon in Ubers, however Celebi is also good check for it. Grass Knot deals good damage, you resist Earthquake and may Recover any damage you have. Or just Perish Song, if you use set with this move.

I guess that's it. Firecape mention all offensive checks and that's why I didn't mention anything offensive. I hope that helps ;).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)