Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen In-Game Tiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
About choosing Nidoran (f) over Nidoran (m): In LeafGreen NidF is a lot more common than NidM. And I mean a lot.

Also I'm for Sandshrew to High Tier. In this game Ground types are amazing, especially against all those Poison lot (Team Rocket and Koga). STAB Dig and later Earthquake is great, so is Slash.

Caterpie to Low. Sure it's weak Later game but Early - Mid game it's great, with the nearly 100% accurate Sleep Powder and Psybeam doing decent damage. I used it in the E4 and although not as powerful as the rest of the team, it did it's job: statusing.

At least Low.
Caterpie belongs in bottom tier in my opinion, All it has is Psybeam and a Sleep Move. Poor stats as well. Just a sleep move doesn't warrant it being moved up in my opinion. Raising it just seems like wasting exp points (along with EVs).

And Sandshrew for high sounds fine. Can get it early in the game and like you said helps you beat all of team rockets lol Poison-types.

Nix_Hex

I hope you make a million dollars
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Caterpie to Low. Sure it's weak Later game but Early - Mid game it's great, with the nearly 100% accurate Sleep Powder and Psybeam doing decent damage. I used it in the E4 and although not as powerful as the rest of the team, it did it's job: statusing.

At least Low.
Low is the right place for it. If you chose Charmander and you don't feel like finding Mankey or Nidoran, Butterfree works well against Brock (though you need to watch out for Rock Tomb). It learns Sleep Powder at Level 15, and I believe with Compound Eyes it becomes 100% Accurate (or at least very close). Just spam Confusion and you should be good. After Brock, Butterfree's usage becomes questionable, which is why it is recommended as low. Still, guaranteed status against slower foes (Butterfree sits at a comfortable base 70 Speed) and its ability to learn Flash are its saving graces.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I do think Caterpie deserves at the very least low. I don't think I've ever done an in-game run without a Butterfree simply because of Sleep Powder + Flash + Confusion. Confusion is awesome in the beginning of the game, (fuck you Zubat), and Butterfee also is nice to have against Erika and Koga.

I vote for Caterpie being at least in the Low tier, if not the middle tier.

I do think Caterpie deserves at the very least low. I don't think I've ever done an in-game run without a Butterfree simply because of Sleep Powder + Flash + Confusion. Confusion is awesome in the beginning of the game, (fuck you Zubat), and Butterfee also is nice to have against Erika and Koga.

Alright, moved Caterpie to low.

I dunno, usually by the time it evolves into Butterfree, your starter should be pretty adept at killing Zubat (or anyone else, really). Especially since Mt. Moon is after the first gym.

If it goes up, then Low Tier, emphasize that it eveolves quickly, but loses usefulness over time.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well yeah, anything in the game will kill Zubat eventually, but being able to OHKO it everytime you meet with one is a god-send. But yes, it does lose usefulness over time.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with Caterpie to low.

I disagree with Sandshrew to High. It has a very limited movepool as the TM's it can learn are usually better used elsewhere. It also lacks a lot of power, and special defensiveness. Mid tier sure, but not high.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with Sandshrew to High. It has a very limited movepool as the TM's it can learn are usually better used elsewhere. It also lacks a lot of power, and special defensiveness. Mid tier sure, but not high.
I agree with this, sandshrew's movepool is horrible, and if it's just for beating poison-types you may as well catch an abra (that can be caught at about the same time), or diglett (that can be caught before you really have to start dealing with Team Rocket), or just evolve your Nidorino and teach it Dig. Sandslash may have good offensive stats and Defense but needs TM support badly, so mid tier was fine for it.

Well yeah, anything in the game will kill Zubat eventually, but being able to OHKO it everytime you meet with one is a god-send. But yes, it does lose usefulness over time.

Starters are recieved at level 5 so they get that head start though. Granted, it depends on the starter who'll be doing the most damage early. Bulbasaur won't be killing qucikly at the beginning (outside of the Rock Pokemon) until it's well into evolution. Squirtle would have most likely evolved by then. If it has a good enough Special Attack, then Water Gun should do fine. Usually, Charmander does the best (thanks for Metal Claw to breeze through the gym and evolve) though.

I agree with Caterpie to low.

I agree with this, sandshrew's movepool is horrible, and if it's just for beating poison-types you may as well catch an abra (that can be caught at about the same time), or diglett (that can be caught before you really have to start dealing with Team Rocket), or just evolve your Nidorino and teach it Dig. Sandslash may have good offensive stats and Defense but needs TM support badly, so mid tier was fine for it.
Alright back to mid tier for Sandshrew. I was thinking Ground move / Normal Move / Rock Slide but he does have a poor Special Defense, below average speed, and doesn't learn very useful moves upon level up.
EDIT: Wow only learns Dig/Sandtomb as Ground-type moves... Yeah deserves mid. Obviously can teach it EQ as well but thats gained almost at the end of the game.

Another Pokemon that's underrated is Mr. Mime. Substitute, Magical Leaf, and Psychic help a lot. Good speed and special stats, and has sound-proof for roar.

I wouldn't even waste the TM on Sandshrew. I think it's Low, I'd take Diglett over him any in-game day.
Moved Sandshrew to low, especially now looking at how he relies on TM's...
Another Pokemon that's underrated is Mr. Mime. Substitute, Magical Leaf, and Psychic help a lot. Good speed and special stats, and has sound-proof for roar.
Alright moved Mr. Mime to mid.
Psychic stab and Magical leaf and available as soon as you cut HM Cut.

Speaking of Mr. Mime, Tangela ain't there. I'd say bottom, as its slow, very weak to Special attacks, not so strong, and learns only Grass moves really for offense. If it goes to Low, then I guess it's for his status moves and decent defense.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Articuno deserves High.

Sure it comes late but it also comes at Lvl 50 (On Par with everything else at that time) with STAB Ice Beam and great stats. Ice Beam and Fly is really all it needs, for its typing and STAB alone allows it dominate Giovanni, Bruno (teach it Fly), half of your rival's team (Rhydon, Pidgeot, whatever his Grassmon is), and Lance, and it has the bulk to tank Agatha as well. I've used Articuno pretty much every time is my FRLG runs and he does not disappoint. The only TM support it needs is Fly (HM) and Water Pulse (for Fires/Rocks). Its bulk also makes it a great damage sponge against Lorelei in case you're in a bind and need time to heal. That's quite a few major battles late game it excels in, not to mention the numerous trainers littering Victory Road.

In comparison, Zapdos isn't as bulky and fares much worse against Giovanni, Bruno (can't touch Onix), and Lance's Dragons. It also can't tank Agatha nearly as well due to lower defenses. (90/100/125 is a lot better than 90/85/90).

Everything else looks fine. Nice job.

Nix_Hex

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In justification for its status as a Mid-tier Pokémon, you should say that Electabuzz is pretty hard to capture given its encounter rate. Also, you find it in the exact location as Zapdos who comes at Level 50. They both have pretty crappy movepools though. Zapdos has almost no Special coverage besides powerful Electric attacks and Hidden Power (see the first link in my signature to understand the bleakness of this suggestion); Electabuzz at least gets Psychic, but can't learn Ice Punch or Fire Punch in FR/LG.

Zapdos' Special Attack is so high, he doesn't even have to worry about whether the Electric attack is supereffective or not. I think he should stay in High Tier. However, I the real reason why he would be questioned is the fact that Thunderbolt must be taught by TM. Not only that, he doesn't learn Thunder until 85, pretty much forcing you to use the TM if your gonna finish the game with him.

Let's not forgot, Drill Peck is a decent in-game move that serves Zapdos well.

Speaking of Mr. Mime, Tangela ain't there. I'd say bottom, as its slow, very weak to Special attacks, not so strong, and learns only Grass moves really for offense. If it goes to Low, then I guess it's for his status moves and decent defense.
Umm Tangela is there...

I think Articuno deserves High.

Sure it comes late but it also comes at Lvl 50 (On Par with everything else at that time) with STAB Ice Beam and great stats. Ice Beam and Fly is really all it needs, for its typing and STAB alone allows it dominate Giovanni, Bruno (teach it Fly), half of your rival's team (Rhydon, Pidgeot, whatever his Grassmon is), and Lance, and it has the bulk to tank Agatha as well. I've used Articuno pretty much every time is my FRLG runs and he does not disappoint. The only TM support it needs is Fly (HM) and Water Pulse (for Fires/Rocks). Its bulk also makes it a great damage sponge against Lorelei in case you're in a bind and need time to heal. That's quite a few major battles late game it excels in, not to mention the numerous trainers littering Victory Road.

In comparison, Zapdos isn't as bulky and fares much worse against Giovanni, Bruno (can't touch Onix), and Lance's Dragons. It also can't tank Agatha nearly as well due to lower defenses. (90/100/125 is a lot better than 90/85/90).

Everything else looks fine. Nice job.
I would say Articuno for middle tier because of there being better Ice types like Jynx and Lapras (Lapras has a lot wider movepool and Jynx has high Speed, Special Attack, and useful STAB Psychic) but Articuno deffinately beats them both with bulk so I'm fine with high tier.

In justification for its status as a Mid-tier Pokémon, you should say that Electabuzz is pretty hard to capture given its encounter rate. Also, you find it in the exact location as Zapdos who comes at Level 50. They both have pretty crappy movepools though. Zapdos has almost no Special coverage besides powerful Electric attacks and Hidden Power (see the first link in my signature to understand the bleakness of this suggestion); Electabuzz at least gets Psychic, but can't learn Ice Punch or Fire Punch in FR/LG.
Edited this in, thanks. :)

Zapdos' Special Attack is so high, he doesn't even have to worry about whether the Electric attack is supereffective or not. I think he should stay in High Tier. However, I the real reason why he would be questioned is the fact that Thunderbolt must be taught by TM. Not only that, he doesn't learn Thunder until 85, pretty much forcing you to use the TM if your gonna finish the game with him.

Let's not forgot, Drill Peck is a decent in-game move that serves Zapdos well.
Despite it not being very accurate the TM Thunder is found in the Power Plant along with Zapdos so at least it has a powerful STAB attack outside of buying Thunderbolt. I agree with Zapdos in high as well.

EDIT: Umm I think everything looks good now and is in the tier it belongs.
So I think this is ready for GP checks.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm wondering how would one proceed to GP check these articles (if they're done anyway). Perhaps there should be a format per Pokemon? Like this: [availability aka early-game/mid-game/late-game], [stats], [movepool], [any other comments]. Or, would that be too informative, especially on terrible Pokemon? It would be descriptive to show higher tiered Pokemon's claims though.

And the introduction that's stolen from Mekkah. What are we going to do with that? GP that 2 times per article?

Maybe more context too? Closing words/conclusion of some sorts for the specific game?

edit: got an interesting thought with Jubilee. We can do it like this article and put the stuff in tables. There would be separate tables per tier. Probably five columns and as much rows as there are Pokemon for the tier. First column = the Pokemon, second = Location (Beginning, Early, Mid, Late), third = Movepool (Wide, Decent, Poor), fourth = Stats (Excellent, Above-Average, Average, Below-Average, Poor), and a leftover column for additional comments (HM learned, etc). Anyone think this would be a good idea?

I'm wondering how would one proceed to GP check these articles (if they're done anyway). Perhaps there should be a format per Pokemon? Like this: [availability aka early-game/mid-game/late-game], [stats], [movepool], [any other comments]. Or, would that be too informative, especially on terrible Pokemon? It would be descriptive to show higher tiered Pokemon's claims though.

And the introduction that's stolen from Mekkah. What are we going to do with that? GP that 2 times per article?

Maybe more context too? Closing words/conclusion of some sorts for the specific game?

edit: got an interesting thought with Jubilee. We can do it like this article and put the stuff in tables. There would be separate tables per tier. Probably five columns and as much rows as there are Pokemon for the tier. First column = the Pokemon, second = Location (Beginning, Early, Mid, Late), third = Movepool (Wide, Decent, Poor), fourth = Stats (Excellent, Above-Average, Average, Below-Average, Poor), and a leftover column for additional comments (HM learned, etc). Anyone think this would be a good idea?
Yeah I think with a table format it would look a lot nicer however, I don't know how I would format it... Or would that be done by the person who HTMLize's it?

Nix_Hex

Dugtrio should be mentioned as Top Tier, separately from Diglett, since you can find them in Diglett's Cave. There's only about a 5% chance of finding them, but they come at such high levels (4% for Level 29, 1% for 31) that it's pretty hard to resist. It also learns Cut, Dig, and Rock Smash, but the latter would be pretty pointless on Dugtrio due to its pathetic power.

Dugtrio should be mentioned as Top Tier, separately from Diglett, since you can find them in Diglett's Cave. There's only about a 5% chance of finding them, but they come at such high levels (4% for Level 29, 1% for 31) that it's pretty hard to resist. It also learns Cut, Dig, and Rock Smash, but the latter would be pretty pointless on Dugtrio due to its pathetic power.
I think it should be left just as Diglett.
There's way too many other Pokemon that can be caught as evolutions as well and if I put Dugtrio in I'd have to put them all in as well. I personally think that would make this too cluttered.

Nix_Hex

The only reason I suggested it is because it is found exactly at the same time as Diglett and at a significantly higher level of 29, which is pretty good for so early on. Pokemon like Venemoth obviously shoudn't be mentioned, but I think you can make an exception for Dugtrio.

I strongly suggest moving Paras to Mid Tier, if only due to Spore (the fact that it comes with a Tinymushroom also helps for move relearning). It is also readily available early game and resists Water Pulse, giving you an easier time against Misty. Access to PoisonPowder and Stun Spore helps, too, as well as access to Swords Dance (although this only really works with Slash, Aerial Ace, and Dig).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)