What music do you have that the rest of Smogon apparEntly doesn't?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's a well-documented phenomenon around these parts that many of us share similar musical tastes, much to everyone's delight. But what about music you don't see discussed too often around here? Stuff that you might even be embarassed to admit?

I'll start. I particularly enjoy the following artists:
* Tori Amos
* Dar Williams
* Shawn Colvin (VERY underrated)
* REM

What about everyone else?

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm pretty much an outlier due to my big thing for video game music. I do like some real music - and my tastes there are pretty similar to CaptKirby's and Hazerider's - but other than a few exceptions, nobody seems to share my love of video game music.

Of some of the stuff that makes it onto my playlist regularly that I don't really ever talk about...

-Cat Power
-Tom McRae
-Blur
-Interpol
-My Bloody Valentine
-Yo La Tengo

I don't know why I don't talk about them much. MBV has put out some of the most emotional and brilliant albums ever. Interpol is something that I can't really rave about since they're not my favorite band or anything, but they're decent and I like to listen to them. Same goes for Yo La Tengo. Blur is one of the spillovers from my britpop obsession back in college, and I must admit I'm still a huge fan of Blur. Cat Power, Tom McRae, and similar pseudo-country singer songwriters (I like Kathleen Edwards and Lucinda Williams, too, although I don't have any of their stuff right now so it can't make it onto my playlist even if I wanted it to) are kind of my dirty little secret with music. Not that they're bad - they're actually amazing, especially Cat Power - but I don't like a lot of the stereotyping that goes on with people who listen to them.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Surgo, I recently tried getting into Tori Amos because my sister went through a huge phase of her in middle school and I remembered liking it... but it just didn't click. But other things mentioned in this thread so far that I absolutely adore:

REM
Sigur Ros
Sarah McLachlan
Interpol (come on, I'm indie)
My Bloody Valentine

As for me, I know of only 1 or 2 other people who like Joanna Newsom, so that's the obvious first choice. Also, I'm a GIGANTOFUCK fan of VNV Nation, which is some British industrial techno everyone seems to scoff at when I mention it.

Ys is one of my favourite albums ever. Joanna Newsom is amazing!

And as for obscure-ish stuff that I really like, ummm, Architecture in Helsinki, Slint, Jesu, Neutral Milk Hotel are a few that some people will know and some won't, I guess.

Why am I even typing this? Nobody here knows me anyway. Huh.

Edit: Also try Final Fantasy/Owen Pallett, Blonde Redhead, Tapes 'n Tapes. That's a better summary of my taste.

-Adiemus
-Aimee Mann
-Adrian Klumpes
-Annie Lennox
-Beth Gibbons
-black tape for a blue girl
-Chorus of Tribes
-Clannad
-Clogs
-Colleen
-Dead Can Dance
-Deep Forest
-Deep Listening Band
-Delerium
-Dirty Three
-Dulce Pontes
-Enigma
-Enya
-Esmerine
-Faun Fables
-Fugees
-Gabrielle
-Hammock
-Hangedup
-Joan as Police Woman
-Johánn Johánnsson
-KT Tunstall
-K's Choice
-Lamb
-Lauryn Hill
-Lou Rhodes
-Max Richter
-Meanwhile Back In Communist Russia
-Mike Oldfield
-Mirah
-Moya Brennan
-Nicola Conte
-Rachel's
-Sarah Brightman
-Set Fire to Flames
-Shalabi Effect
-Sinéad O'Connor
-Spelling Nadja
-Tangerine Dream
-The Autumn Project
-Tori Amos
-Vangelis
-Vashti Bunyan
-Vaya Con Dios
-Yann Tiersen
-Yanni

Not trying to sound smart or anything, I just opened my music folder and typed the artists I had never seen on np, or at least don't recall. Most of this list is Post Rock and New Age. I know some Smogoners are into Post Rock and thus should have heard of those bands or listened to them. I'm pretty sure no one here is into New Age though.

DM, I like Joanna Newsom : ( :(

norulz

excellent
REM is awesome, I guess that makes too much users that like REM for it to count.

My Bloody Valentine
My brother insisted that I listened to 'Glider' and 'Loveless' so I did, I've picked up some songs that I like, such as "Soon", "Only Shallow" and "I Only Said".

Other bands that I listen to and apparently no one else listens to are

Muse - Never saw anyone post a song by them, I strongly advise you to listen to at least one song.

!!! (chk chk chk) -Yeah, I'm pretty much the only one who posts this here, many of you didn't even know what this was.

Portugal. The Man - I gotta admit, I started listening to them because of the band's name, but damn, their songs are fucking awesome if you like Indie Rock.

Edit: Yeah, forgot about Morphine, DM advised it or so I recall, I listened. Pretty awesome band, the sax really covers for the guitar, you can barely even miss it!

!!!
4 Strings
Above & Beyond
Alien Project
Amorphous Androgynous
Amphasis
Astral Projection
Astrix
ATB
Atmos
Atomic Pulse
Autechre
Basic Element
Blank And Jones
Bleak
Boards Of Canada
Bomfunk MC's
California Sunshine
Chi-A.D.
Chicane
Cosmic Gate
Darude
Dimension 5
Disco Slickers
Dj Tiësto
Dr Bombay
Electric Universe
Elephant Man
Etnica
Ferry Corsten
Forty Foot Echo
GMO
GMS
Hallucinogen
Hybrid
Ian Van Dahl
Johan Gielen
Juno Reactor
Klamydia
Lasgo
LCD Soundsystem
Man With No Name
Mauro Picotto
MFG
Millencolin
Mind.In.A.Box
Novaspace
Paul Oakenfold
Paul Van Dyk
Phoenix
Poets Of The Fall
Pulsedriver
Rednex
Sash!
Sesto Sento
Shpongle
Sylver
Talamasca
The Future Sound Of London
The Orb
The Underdog Project
Yahel
YUP

Smogon doesn't have too many trance addicts from what I've seen. Iirc, Lexay listened to some, but that's all I've seen. I know some of you listen to some ambient stuff, like Aphex Twin though, which electronic music as well, but I've seen absolutely no trance (any sub genre of it) in the np thread or any other threads related to music.

I have like tens of more goa/psy trance artists on my computer, but they're mainly just individual songs or a couple of them, so I didn't bother with listing those. Heh, even listing the artists from which I have at least one album created quite a long one.

Well, not all of that list is trance/electronic music. There are some Finnish bands kicked in along with some more or less unknown bands from other countries as well. This gives a sort of monotous look about my taste of music, but it's not really that bland. I enjoy listening to indie, punk, rock and some metal and rap as well, but electronic music has taken over me.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nightwish
In Flames
Alghazanth
Damnation A.D.
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Candlemass

couple of others too, mainly metal.

my tastes are similar to hazerider and capt. kirby but with some genre expansion in there.

I listen to a lot of vg music(hi galbadia hotel) and remixes of them(hi ocremix). I also listen to a bit of j-shit, but it is kind of random and based upon animes I've seen. I mean, I don't care about L'Arc~en~ciel or how good or bad it is but I will definitely listen to that music of theirs that is in that anime I like. I won't, however, listen to the music if I happen to dislike it.

Edit: oh yeah, I absofuckinglutely ADORE gregorian chants(is this even the right name lol).

Edit 2: and the likes of Bethoven, Chopin, etc. Nobody seem to care about those genius :(

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why are some of you saying REM? im like the biggest REM fanatic, and i am 50% of smogon (edit: due to importance, not body fat!)

norulz

excellent
hahaha steelicks i thought so too

just posting because I forgot Ladytron. iirc there was a smogoner that liked it, one.

atlas' post reminded me of electronic music so i thought

I'm a gigantic Ladytron fan, and I post on the NP list with Ladytron periodically. I also like VNV Nation a lot, although I don't own anything currently, so it doesn't make it onto my playlist ever.

Brazilian Girls is something that I've never seen anyone else ever post about. And, of course, local bands, but I don't really expect to see someone posting about Ponytail or Beach House that doesn't live in Baltimore, or flatline/skyline or Nicosia Nicophante that doesn't live in Philly.

I never see any Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Sleater-Kinney, but they're both fucking awesome.

Oh, and probably the number one band I listen to that people are always kind of wtf about is Einsturzende Neubauten. Good god these guys are fucking amazing. Industrial music owes more to them than any other band (with the possible exception of Throbbing Gristle), and in thirty years of making music they have consistently been FUCKING BRILLIANT. Holy shit, Blixa Bargeld and FM Einheit are like my heroes musically. <3 Neubauten.

Also krusch, posting to say that Blonde Redhead rocks.

Smogon doesn't have too many trance addicts from what I've seen. Iirc, Lexay listened to some, but that's all I've seen. I know some of you listen to some ambient stuff, like Aphex Twin though, which electronic music as well, but I've seen absolutely no trance (any sub genre of it) in the np thread or any other threads related to music.

I have like tens of more goa/psy trance artists on my computer, but they're mainly just individual songs or a couple of them, so I didn't bother with listing those. Heh, even listing the artists from which I have at least one album created quite a long one.

Well, not all of that list is trance/electronic music. There are some Finnish bands kicked in along with some more or less unknown bands from other countries as well. This gives a sort of monotous look about my taste of music, but it's not really that bland. I enjoy listening to indie, punk, rock and some metal and rap as well, but electronic music has taken over me.

I don't NP all the time, but I have trance on my computer and I play it every once in awhile. I have almost all of the Sasha releases, Infected Mushroom, 1200 Micrograms and some others. Of course metal takes up most of my play time anyway, so yeah. >__>

But as most of you know I listen to metal most of the time, and most people would have no clue here as to who the fuck bands like Ruins of Beverast, I Shalt Become, Negura Bunget, Horna, Spite Extreme Wing, Nocternity, and the like, are. I'm a big fan of black metal and I listen to countless bands. My last.fm doesn't reflect this because I recently reset it, but seriously, most of my Top 100 was black metal before.

Nowadays I'm more varied in what I listen to. I hardly see Converge be mentioned here, and although I know there's ATDI fans here, they are barely talked about. I'm a big fan of trip-hop and I range from the classics and 2nd wavers like Portishead, Massive Attack, Lamb, and Mandalay, to the newer forms of trip-hop that are more electronic than before (like AIR's new stuff). Seriously if I were to name everything I listen to regularly that doesn't get talked about here, I'd be here for awhile.

What I and other people have and what I and other people actually listen to is a big difference but anyway...

I seem to be a rarity because I like The Fray, Three Doors Down and the Sheer. Most of my new music comes from other people being like "you've got to listen to this" and that tends to be pop music, while it seems most people here go for not-quite-mainstream-just-beyond-the-Top40-border stuff, if you get what I mean.

norulz

excellent
I'm a gigantic Ladytron fan, and I post on the NP list with Ladytron periodically. I also like VNV Nation a lot, although I don't own anything currently, so it doesn't make it onto my playlist ever.
props to you man, you are the user I mentioned on my post above.

ladytron is gg

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I used to have a pretty big trance phase -- I see some of the artists on Echo's list which I have. I don't play those that much anymore but I still enjoy some psytrance like MFG and progressive or whatever you want to call Armin van Buuren.

I'm pretty much an outlier due to my big thing for video game music. I do like some real music - and my tastes there are pretty similar to CaptKirby's and Hazerider's - but other than a few exceptions, nobody seems to share my love of video game music.
i am a vgm listener too. i usually listen to videogame music tracks more often than listening to songs. i've been an avid fan since the NES games (okay, true, they didn't have much of music, but some games did.)

when i do hear songs, i listen to all sorts, ranging from rap, pop, metal, ANYTHING that is enjoyable basically.

EDIT: thanks surgo for making this thread. it's awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)