Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.. so I'm running
Garchompite
Jolly with 252atk /252 speed / 6 hp
Outrage
EQ
Sword dance
Stone edge

Im pretty amazed by it because I was able to outrun some dragon type and other pkmns

But I was wndering if I should fix something in my garchomp? Well I'm pretty new in the game

In my opinion, SD Garchomp is mediocre at best in this gen, especially the SD M-Garchomp.
It is simply too slow to be an actual sweeper.
As a wall breaker, however, it is amazing. The mixed M-Garchomp is the one I like to run.
As long as you stray away from the idea of garchomp being a sweeper but a wall breaker, garchomp seems like a top-tier pokemon. While it is true that garchomp cannot hold life orb or leftover for his wall breaker set (mega), unlike Kyurem-B, I prefer garchomp over Kyube for most situations. The ice typing is something that I just cannot stand defensively, even in the current meta where stealth rock isn't as prevalent as before.
I've only been dwelling between 2200 and 2300 so I'm no expert. But that was my personal input.

On a side note, I really wished garchomp had gotten dragon dance, rock polish/agility, and/or extremespeed. I understand getting any of those might have made garchomp overpowered :P

Edit: I am not saying garchomp is bad. I am simply saying SD Garchomp as a sweeper is mediocre at best. With a huge speed creep, along with the abundance of priority coming off of powerful pokemons, it's not very good. The mixed sweeper set with the mega form, however, is the best wall breaker of the current meta in my honest opinion.

Last edited:
In my opinion, SD Garchomp is mediocre at best in this gen, especially the SD M-Garchomp.
It is simply too slow to be an actual sweeper.

I am not saying garchomp is bad. I am simply saying SD Garchomp as a sweeper is mediocre at best. With a huge speed creep, along with the abundance of priority coming off of powerful pokemons, it's not very good. The mixed sweeper set with the mega form, however, is the best wall breaker of the current meta in my honest opinion.
I think you understate how good the SD sets are, but your overall point is absolutely correct. The SD sets, both the jolly 252speed and the adamant 252hp, are quite strong. While they do get walled by a few things they require quite some work for most teams to stop, and you obviously build your team to help you overcome those.

The 'problem' with the SD set's is that the MegaChomp wallbreaker set is SO much better than SD sets it makes them look rather bad. Wallbreaker MegaChomp is easily one of, if not the best, wallbreaker this generation. The SD sets are at best, good sets, and are absolutely not the best sweeping sets of this gen. #WallbreakerMegaGarchomp2013

I think a simple swords dance 3 attacks garchomp is still his best bet in OU, running some sort of defensive item like Lum or type resist berry. The set in particular that I run is SD / Dragon Claw (or dual chop) / EQ / Stone Miss. Stone miss is primarily for Togekiss as it tends to kill almost all variants at +2 after rocks leaving Chomp with little in the way of "counters". Skarmory is still a problem but it's becoming increasingly rare from what I've seen. Also I'd like to note that the metagame is becoming really polarized between Painfully slow and REAAAAALLLY fast. Meaning Chomp's speed has imo gotten better by comparison to the things he has to fight.

Can Garchomp even get Stealth Rock legally? I've tried breeding one with outrage already with a Tyrunt with SR, and after 10 tries, still can't get one with SR.

I've been using Mega Garchomp to great success. +Speed 240SpAtk/240 Speed/ 18 Atk @ Megastone with Fire Blast, Draco, Earthquake, and Poison Jab has been getting 2 kills/battle on average. I chose Poison Jab over Stone Edge and Dragon Claw/Outrage since M-Chomp is used to soften up teams for my other sweeper (Dragonite) and I only catch incoming Fairies with it (Azu and Togekiss). Poison Jab doesn't OHKO Azu or Toge but it 2HKOs so as long as you can predict that they're gonna come in then you can catch them off guard. Obviously you gotta predict when using M-Chomp with this set/spread which may make this a bit weak since a wrong move could lose you a lot of momentum but when paired with another Dragon like Dragonite, it's been a great way to open up defensive teams.

I use Sandstorm support as well so Earthquake+Sand Force often severely injures/OHKOs anything that tries to come in and tank a -2 hit. Sand Force and the SpAtk boost is really what differentiates Mega from regular Garchomp and the mixed set makes good use of both those attributes. I guess Iron Head would be better over Poison Jab if using Sandstorm support but I just thought about that while writing this, lol.

I haven't tried M-Chomp in any other way but I feel like any other Garchomp set would want his higher speed so I wouldn't want to use something like Swords Dance M-Chomp. The higher Atk+Sand Rush would be nice for an Earthquake sweep but the prevalence of Levitators and Flying types with the drop in speed makes me doubt how often that could happen. A substitute set would be great with M-Chomp's new defensive stats but the lack of Lum and Lefties leaves the Sub set to being outplayed easier than a regular Garchomp could be.

Lately I've taken to using Rock Tomb on mega garchomp to run a sort of pseudo-edgequake with better accuracy on the rock side. Yes it lacks power compared to stone edge, but you take a lot of things by surprise thanks to the speed drop it puts out. Megachomp is still just fast enough to outrun most things after a single speed drop, including potential checks and counters.

Lately I've taken to using Rock Tomb on mega garchomp to run a sort of pseudo-edgequake with better accuracy on the rock side. Yes it lacks power compared to stone edge, but you take a lot of things by surprise thanks to the speed drop it puts out. Megachomp is still just fast enough to outrun most things after a single speed drop, including potential checks and counters.
Wouldn't Rock Slide be better? It only has a 10% chance of missing, but the extra power is definitely worth it.

I made some calcs and found out that as long as stealth rock and sand are in play a 16 Atk / 252 Sp Atk Naughty Mega Garchomp can simply 2hko the entire game (barring cresselia, who guess what, is destroyed by ttar) with a moveset of Earthquake / Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Stone Edge. I havent actually tested it yet, but the calcs themselves are promising enough to make me try it. The lowered speed inst that bad since youre supposed to be a wallbreaker and 92 is enough to outspeed nearly any wall anyway. Mega Garchomp is actually better than life orb chain chomp even when sand is not in play. 170 Atk is only 1% weaker than 130 Atk+Life Orb while 120 Sp Atk is actually 1% stronger than 80 Sp Atk+Life Orb. This means that outside of sand its pretty much hitting as hard as regular chomp, and hitting harder in sand, while not taking life orb recoil. Stone edge is also infinitely superior to poison jab. Poison jab cant even 2hko togekiss while stone edge is always a 2hko and has a 43% chance to ohko after stealth rock damage.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I hate to say it, but the SAtk boost on MegaChomp does not beat out ChainChomp much at all. Life Orb Garchomp hits almost exactly as hard on the special side as MegaChomp does. The benefits the MEvo has over ChainChomp, which you'll need to abuse in order to make the mixed attacking set work on MegaChomp, is the increased defense and lack of recoil.

That being said, I have been running MegaChomp with exactly the old moveset (Draco Meteor/Earthquake/Fire Blast/Swords Dance) and it's worked reasonably well. But if I'm ever not properly abusing the MegaChomp defense increase and mega evolving at the correct time, it'll be time to stop using it.

Garchomp @garchompite
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

Any have any suggestions for Evs and nature? I was thinking about naive/hasty with max attack and speed.
That set is just begging for Togekiss to switch in and murder you... immune to 3 attacks and I doubt Fire Blast will do much to it...

The problem with Garachomp is if you use Poison Jab for Togekiss you're walled by Skamory since you'll probably forgo Fire Blast... if you use Fire Blast you risk getting walled by Togekiss outside of Stone Edge... it's a pick your poison deal... Skamory can phase you and Togekiss outright kills you

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you run MegaGarchomp with:

- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab/Stone Edge

... and wallbreak like a boss.

Or you run MegaGarchomp with:

- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab/Stone Edge

... and wallbreak like a boss.
What EV's and Nature are you running on this? I've kind of made a team around MegaChomp and am running a simular moveset but have struggled to come up with the appropriate EV's and nature to really take advantage of it. ATM I think I'm running Naughty Nature with 176HP, 252Sp.Atk, 60Atk and 20Speed

Mega Garchomp
Naive/Naughty
32spA/224Atk/252Spe (32spA with Naughty to pound ferrothorn and skarmory)
- EQ
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor/DClaw

The Naughty nature with EQ/Stone Edge (esp with SS) is ridiculously powerful.
The 32spA is more than enough to pound ferrothorn and skarmory.
I've ran 252spA/252spe with naive/spA+ nature for the mixed st before and I'd much rather hit as hard as I can via attack.

I do believe that regular Garchomp is better than mega. As Yeah Galo Sengan aforementioned, a bulky megachomp set with SR has too many common weaknesses to be viable. Also, mega chomp's speed stabs it with a very large knife; assuming megachomp runs an adamant nature, it gets outsped by almost every positive-natured offensive pokemon, and if it runs jolly, the speed isn't much better. LO garchomp does a significant amount more damage than megachomp, also. Basically, i don't think that megachomp is worth using over the regular one.
Not even in...Trick Room?! *GASP*

With a Brave Nature and no effort on speed what-so-ever. Mega Garchomp can seriously make use of being slower. It's not gonna be a game changer in that department or be as slow as Mega Aggron, but it's something to consider.

Hey guys, I got my hands on a sassy shiny Gabite and I was wondering, can I make some use out of it? I'd like to use it with the garchompite. Maybe a special tank?

That set is just begging for Togekiss to switch in and murder you... immune to 3 attacks and I doubt Fire Blast will do much to it...
The same can be said about garchomp sets and skarmory last gen and he still did fine. U pack a magnezone or w/e. Every poke will have its counters, and in this example Mixed Mega garchomp will use necessary teammate(s) to check togekiss. The set is still working wonders for me

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Kyurem- B can hold Life Orb and Choice Band, Mega Garchomp doesn't have that luxury.
I hate how people tend to downplay the actual benefits of the Mega Stones.

Imma take the 3 (offensive) items most people use on Kyubee and compare what they give to Kyubee to what already M Chomp already has:

- Band: welp, i guess i cant argue you 2hko the entire game. can I? then you realize that most of the times youre just clicking outrage, much like CB terrakion with CC, not using Dclaw or Fusion Bolt since they actually defeat the purpose of a Choice Band: sheer power, but with the problem there that its a move so easily taken advantage of its not even funny, 95 speed is sub par at best for something that is supposed to sweep, and with that, almost the entire offensive side of the meta can KO after locking into outrage. Comparably, yeah sure, chomp is hitting 0.33x (dont quote me on this, just fast calculating) weaker, but you keep wallbreaking capabilities due to amazing complementary (and not fucking redundant) STABs and no pressure due to hazards, something caused by any choice item.

- LO: i guess somebody here is forgetting Kyubee is vulnerable to all hazards, weak to the most important, and has an Abomasnow-level defensive typing, LO recoil is, in my honest opinion, a liability to something with such bulk. Hazards in itself take 1/4 to more from Kyub's lifespan, and it is supposed to be a wallbreaker in the level of M Garchomp, who not only resists rocks but has much better STABs (im just not stressing this enough) to hit through defensive cores. The boost in power isnt worth the recoil taking your already scarce chances to do your job well.

- Scarf: tbh, this is the only item i would ever consider running on Kyub when comparing him to Chomp, since its something the latter cannot actually do, but we all know the problems with Scarf Kyurem , dont we? imma mention them just for the sake of it: its weak, and its weak to hazards. Well, as a general statement, all scarfers are relatively weak, so thats a moot point i guess, but the weakness to hazards is a killer to what is supposed to be a revenge killer. Still, i wont deny its better off taking this job than chomp is, no doubt about that.

I would run M Chomp any day over Kyub, to me its a no brainer, Band and LO have horrible setbacks to a poke with a the traits of Kyurem, and Scarf has its issues on itself. And the ''it takes up your mega slot'' argument is really starting to get me upset, if im gonna look for excuses not to use a pokemon that could fit here perfectly to use another pokemon that will probably need other types of support to work well then wtf?

The same can be said about garchomp sets and skarmory last gen and he still did fine. U pack a magnezone or w/e. Every poke will have its counters, and in this example Mixed Mega garchomp will use necessary teammate(s) to check togekiss. The set is still working wonders for me
Magnezone's probably not gonna like getting an Aura Sphere to the face though, or Fire Blast... sure he could switch into Dazzling Gleam but Togekiss is faster and both do nasty damage to Magnezone without SR... all varients are 2KOed at least by

An unboosted Fire Blast from a Togekiss with LO+80SpA deals 281-333 (86-102%) damage to a 0SpD/172HP Modest Magnezone With Choice Specs

Same damage with a 0SpD/4HP Timid Magnezone only here it does 99-118%

Same again with 0HP/4SpD but 100-118%

With a 212HP/0SpD Magnezone it's 84-99%

208HP/0SpD Magnezone loses 84-100%

252HP/0Spd loses 81-96%

This was factored with 110BP without rocks and using Togekiss' OU Offense Nasty lot set against all Magnezone variants on Pokemon Showdown...

The set is just risky way to easy to counter... and I doubt Fire Blast will do that much considering Togekiss' great special bulk...

Magnezone's probably not gonna like getting an Aura Sphere to the face though, or Fire Blast... sure he could switch into Dazzling Gleam but Togekiss is faster and both do nasty damage to Magnezone without SR... all varients are 2KOed at least by

An unboosted Fire Blast from a Togekiss with LO+80SpA deals 281-333 (86-102%) damage to a 0SpD/172HP Modest Magnezone With Choice Specs

252HP/0Spd loses 81-96%

This was factored with 110BP without rocks and using Togekiss' OU Offense Nasty lot set against all Magnezone variants on Pokemon Showdown...

The set is just risky way to easy to counter... and I doubt Fire Blast will do that much considering Togekiss' great special bulk...
i meant u would use a magnezone to counter skarmory last gen, that was my example.

ATM I think I'm running Naughty Nature with 176HP, 252Sp.Atk, 60Atk and 20Speed
32spA/224Atk/252Spe (32spA with Naughty to pound ferrothorn and skarmory)

The Naughty nature with EQ/Stone Edge (esp with SS) is ridiculously powerful.
The 32spA is more than enough to pound ferrothorn and skarmory.
I've ran 252spA/252spe with naive/spA+ nature for the mixed st before and I'd much rather hit as hard as I can via attack.
I haven't decided what I like the most but I agree that Attack is the most important. I also think speed is overrated on wallbreaker sets and as such am currently using Naughty/Brave 252atk 252spA.

Another set I really liked was Naughty 252atk 44spA rest HP or Speed. It still always OHK's Bulky Scizors, always 2HK's special defensive leftovers Skarmory (if double Fireblast lands), and while you can't OHK Ferrothorn you can kill it with FB+EQ. I prefer the 252/252 set so far because his job is to break walls not sweep teams and hitting things harder with Draco Meteor just seems to be more valuable to me then him being able to outspeed something that I should be swapping him out of anyways. Obviously the speed is useful because with more speed there are less things he has to swap out of, but so far stronger spAtk has been more useful.

Is Iron Head or Poison Jab worth using on sets over Stone Edge (for both normal and Megachomp), and if so, which of the two is recommended? I know PJ will hit Azuzu SE while Iron Head doesn't, but I think IH gets better neutral coverage on most things.

Wouldn't Rock Slide be better? It only has a 10% chance of missing, but the extra power is definitely worth it.
In that case you might as well run Stone Edge. The entire point of Rock Tomb is to put switch-ins and faster pokemon in a very dangerous position thanks to the drop in speed. I guess Rock Slide is a fine alternative if accuracy is a concern. It's not like he'll be flinching much though.

252HP/0Spd loses 81-96%

Magnezone not only resists fairy, but is immune to t-wave and resists air slash. With a scarf, Mag can switch into nasty plot, outspeed and OHKO with Tbolt. Magnezone should be scarfed imo to be able to check (mega) Lucario and outspeed all Scizor variants. Coupled with the fact that offensive nasty plot + LO isn't the most common Togekiss build, I can safely say CS Magnezone is a fine Togekiss counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)