Pokémon Hydreigon

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about you just don't make something meant to fight off fairies and instead switch to something that can?

That is what the other 5 pokemon are for. No need to waste a move slot to "Handle fairies"
I cannot agree more with this. My Garchomp can kill the fairies instead, Hydreigon is just going to own everything else. His weakness to Fighting may become a problem if Infernape and Mega Lucario become common, but apart from that, the Blitzkrieg Pokemon shall destroy all! :D

What do you guys think of this Hydreigon?

Nature:Naive. 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
@Wise Glasses

Flash Canon
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Hyper Voice

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What do you guys think of this Hydreigon?

Nature:Naive. 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
@Wise Glasses

Flash Canon
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Hyper Voice
That's pretty bad. Why are you using Naive when you're not using any physical moves? Either use Timid or Modest, the latter preferred. Also, Wise Glasses is a waste of an item, use one of Expert Belt, Life Orb, or Choice Specs. Hyper Voice is normal-type and has pathetic coverage, replace it with Dark Pulse. Dragon Pulse could be Draco Meteor for the extra power, but it's up to you I guess. If it's choice specs then draco meteor is definitely preferred.

That's pretty bad. Why are you using Naive when you're not using any physical moves? Either use Timid or Modest, the latter preferred. Also, Wise Glasses is a waste of an item, use one of Expert Belt, Life Orb, or Choice Specs. Hyper Voice is normal-type and has pathetic coverage, replace it with Dark Pulse. Dragon Pulse could be Draco Meteor for the extra power, but it's up to you I guess. If it's choice specs then draco meteor is definitely preferred.
That was the only Hydreigon (Deino) with a speed boosting stat I had. The only reason I have Hyper Voice is because I use this Hydreigon in double and triple battles and I want a move that hits multi-Pokemons at the same time.

About Draco Meteor, I didn't know that there is a move tutor for it in X/Y.

I'm breeding a new Hydreigon for single battles, I'll definitely teach it Dark Pulse over Hyper Voice.

What's wrong with Wise Glasses?

Wise glasses just don't give a very significant boost. Expert Belt, Life Orb and Choice Specs all give bigger boosts, sure they have drawbacks but they are almost always worth it

Wise glasses just don't give a very significant boost. Expert Belt, Life Orb and Choice Specs all give bigger boosts, sure they have drawbacks but they are almost always worth it
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I'm torn between using a Choice Specs Gengar or a choice specs Hydreigon.

I posted this in the creative/underrated sets thread a while back. It's my favorite set for Hydreigon this gen, as it catches a lot of players off guard:

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Calm, 252 HP 4 SpA 252 SpD
Dark Pulse
Substitute
Toxic
Roost

Hydreigon possesses the typing and bulk to run an effective specially defensive set. Dark/Dragon grants him a bevy of resistances (Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Dark, and the ubiquitous Ghost), and an immunity to Psychic moves. Ground type attacks will also be ineffectual against Hydreigon thanks to Levitate. 92/90/90 defenses are nothing to sneeze at, especially with full investment. For comparison, Zapdos's slightly inferior 90/90/90 defenses have allowed it to function as a formidable special wall since the Diamond and Pearl era.

Hydreigon's reputation as a threatening offensive presence tends to force numerous switches, which result in free substitutes. From there, Hydreigon can Toxic the opponent's switch-in and proceed to switch out, or stall with Roost and Substitute. With just two type resistences, Dark Pulse can often be spammed ad nauseum against slower foes, resulting in flinches and therefore wasted turns by an opponent. Although uninvested in this moveset, Hydreigon's exceptional 125 base Special attack stat will result in Dark Pulse inflicting considerable damage under most circumstances.

Steel types with high physical defenses pair well with this Hydreigon variant. They can threaten fairies, the bane of Hydreigon's existence, and absorb the Fire, Bug, Dragon, and Ice type attacks intended for him. In return, Hydreigon can switch in on Fire and Ground attacks aimed at his Steel type allies. A Ghost Pokemon can serve as a fitting 3rd member to this potential core, thanks to its immunity to the Fighting moves often thrown in Hydreigon's direction.

Interesting SpD Set, I would have never thought of Hydreigon like that
But I feel a bit late saying this, Hydreigon does seem like a late game sweeper when it's threats are taken out,now as for good synergy, I see either Skarmory or Bronzong (with Heatproof for mind games)

On the same team? I thought you can't have duplicated items, at least in the wifi battles.
No. A lot of people think that because of VGC rules, but this is Smogon, so we have to assume any other type of PSS (challenge) or Showdown, where of course there is no item clause.

yeah Haxorus outclasses him on the physical side , however that set can catch people off guard wen they send their special wall and bam toasted

How does a bulky hydreigon, designed to take out the top threats in the game, sound?

This entire thread has been devoted to how he will deal with fairy types, and that seems pointless. He never will.

However, with bulk and roost, I think he can be a dangerous for for Pokemon like aegislash, talonflame, tyranitar, and rotom-w as well as kyurem b.

Think about it, with just Draco meteor, fire blast/focus blast, and dark pulse he can do massive damage to a majority of the tier, most of which, can't do much back, especially if he is scarfed.

I only suggest bulk because he gets roost, but a scarf set is possible too.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The only reason I have Hyper Voice is because I use this Hydreigon in double and triple battles and I want a move that hits multi-Pokemons at the same time.
He also gets surf, heat wave, rock slide, bulldoze, and EQ if you're looking for spread moves

How does a bulky hydreigon, designed to take out the top threats in the game, sound?

This entire thread has been devoted to how he will deal with fairy types, and that seems pointless. He never will.

However, with bulk and roost, I think he can be a dangerous for for Pokemon like aegislash, talonflame, tyranitar, and rotom-w as well as kyurem b.
I ran a specially defensive Hydreigon for a while and it did alright- it's got a ton of useful resistances that make it a great pivot. Don't know if it's worth using instead of Lati@s but U-Turn's a pretty massive selling point! I can't remember the exact EV spread I used but I ran something along the lines of:

Hydreigon @ Light Clay / Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252Hp / 252 SpD / 4Def
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Reflect
- U-Turn

It's a limited role but Levitate and all Hydreigon's other resistances make it a really useful Reflecting pivot with a lot of longevity. Draco Meteor works perfectly in conjunction with U-Turn- smash something with DM and get the hell out.

He also gets surf, heat wave, rock slide, bulldoze, and EQ if you're looking for spread moves
Heat Wave is an egg move right? I like Heat wave, but it's 20 weaker than Fire Blast and only 5% more accurate. On the other hand, Heat Wave is great for double/triple battles.

I'm running a special sweeper Hydreigon, so rock slide, bulldoze and EQ aren't much of use for me.

I'm thinking of teaching it Surf instead of Flash Cannon. Flash Cannon is for hitting fairies and it's a risky strategy as Hyderigon got double weakness to fairies and Surf would give me a better coverage.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Heat Wave is an egg move right? I like Heat wave, but it's 20 weaker than Fire Blast and only 5% more accurate. On the other hand, Heat Wave is great for double/triple battles.

I'm running a special sweeper Hydreigon, so rock slide, bulldoze and EQ aren't much of use for me.

I'm thinking of teaching it Surf instead of Flash Cannon. Flash Cannon is for hitting fairies and it's a risky strategy as Hyderigon got double weakness to fairies and Surf would give me a better coverage.
Heat wave is a b2w2 tutor move

And hydreigon shouldn't be staying in on fairies anyway

dark + dragon + fire + water gives you perfect neutral coverage on everything except azumarill, and replacing water with ground (earth power) gives you perfect neutral coverage on literally everything

Heat wave is a b2w2 tutor move

And hydreigon shouldn't be staying in on fairies anyway

dark + dragon + fire + water gives you perfect neutral coverage on everything except azumarill, and replacing water with ground (earth power) gives you perfect neutral coverage on literally everything
Yeah, you're right it shouldn't stay on fairies but it can easily take out a fairy with a below average special defence like Granbull or Slurpuff, not to mention that Hyd outspeeds most fairies and as far as I'm aware there are no priority fairy moves.

How can I teach it Earth Power?

If it wasn't up to fairies, Hydreigon would be so fucking brutal.

Yeah, you're right it shouldn't stay on fairies but it can easily take out a fairy with a below average special defence like Granbull or Slurpuff, not to mention that Hyd outspeeds most fairies and as far as I'm aware there are no priority fairy moves.

How can I teach it Earth Power?

If it wasn't up to fairies, Hydreigon would be so fucking brutal.
Earth Power is an egg move and gen 5 tutor move.

besides you can run U-turn instead to gain momentum. Thats usually the better option against Fairies.

Earth Power is an egg move and gen 5 tutor move.

besides you can run U-turn instead to gain momentum. Thats usually the better option against Fairies.
Yeah, but U-Turn won't work on a scarfed Hydreigon. Though I can swap the specs for an except belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)