Ability: Defeatist
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 156 HP / 76 Def / 76 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Roost
- Knock Off / U-turn
- Taunt

TAUNTCHEN. this is just another set using part of archen's oddly big support movepool and its cool typing. taunt things that can't really hurt you like porygon, foongus etc, then proceed to either remove their item or gain momentum with u-turn. fast taunt is always nice. probably outclassed by mienfoo but everything good was taken already.

also sorry for posting a gimmick last week don't hurt me ;-;

Madonna (Archen) (F) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 Def / 236 HP / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge/Aerial Ace
- Roar
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Mono-attacking Archen ftw ! Get them defense boosts and roost away whatever pain it receives, thus never being in defeatist range. If something sets up on it, simply roar it away.

I don't play XY LC all that much, but:

Archen @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Substitute is the crux of this set, it serves two purposes. First of it means teams with an offensive Archen weakness (which is quite some actually) can't revenge kill it, if they rely on Carvanha for example they lose one Pokémon minimum, probably more. This gives you a pretty big advantage. Also this gives you the advantage against slower bulky switchin since you get two hits on. Now, Substitute may seem like a bit weird considering Defeatist, but that's actually where its second purpose comes in handy: you can Substitute down to Berry Juice level if needed, recovering to full health removing Defeatist as well as fully powering up Acrobatics. As for the other three moves, Acrobatics and Stone Edge are powerful STABs, while Earthquake is the best coverage by far, hitting Pawniard, Chinchou, Tirtouga etc. for the KO.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Archen @ Focus Sash/Berry Juice
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 SDef / 76 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Acrobatics

Behold the best lead archen you've ever seen. With a decent speed of 17, Archen can speed tie or outspeed most common leads, such as mienfoo or dwebble. Taunt prevents any sort of hazards, status, or set up from coming on to your team. Stealth Rock is an obvious choice on a lead, getting damage on switch ins and crippling common bug and fire types, like dwebble (again) and Ponyta. When brought down to low health or sash, a tailwind can be set up, allowing for slower Pokemon wall break or even manage a sweep. Examples of these Pokemon include ddance scraggy and eviolite Drilbur. You can opt for stone edge or acro, as Stone edge still hits strong even with a defeatist debuff. Acrobatics can use the extra power of the removed item to make dents. If you plan on using berry juice, you're better off with acrobatics. A sash set prefers the Unchanging power of stone edge.

Other options:
Eviolite is a solid item if you're looking for bulk. On this set, opt out of acrobatics and use stone edge.

If you're running Sash and have one hp left, head smash is an option for the attacking move, as the sheer power and lack of health mean that both your lead archen and your opponent may fall. This move is to be used only when left at 1 hp, as it makes the sash useless beforehand.

Rock Slide works over stone edge if you're worried about missing. The drop in power is noticeable, however.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge/Aerial Ace
- Roar
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Mono-attacking Archen ftw ! Get them defense boosts and roost away whatever pain it receives, thus never being in defeatist range. If something sets up on it, simply roar it away.

If you're going to use iron defense, wouldn't it be better to run Special Defense EV's?

Archen @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 Spd / 180 Atk / 76 Def
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

Substitute avoids Pawniard's Sucker Punch so Earthquake can kill it, checks Fletchling fine since switching into Acrobatics after SR activates Berry Juice letting Acrobatics wreck it. Point of the set is Endeavor, which lets it go out with a bang. After it's subbed down to his maximum capacity, he should have 2 HP (or at least, less than 5 HP). If he's about to die, or they went into like Spritzee or Hippopotas, Endeavor them, die, and let something else take care of them. Easy peasy.

Archen @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Atk / 196 Spd / 76 HP
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

Offensive Archen with a twist: Instead of using Rock Slide, I'm of course using Rock Tomb. While It has slightly less power, Rock Tomb's guaranteed speed drop always ensures that you'll at the very least be able to get another hit in (so long as they're 24 speed or lower). Given Archen's massive attack stat and access to high powered moves, you're sure to hit something very damn hard. I've actually had better experiences with Rock Tomb over Slide (yes, I've been testing it), and especially with U-Turn, you're able to apply a lot more pressure to your opponent than with Rock Slide. -15 BP for +5 accuracy and a great secondary effect is a great trade-off.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
ok, since I don't feel like slapping some random move on archen, I'd like to propose TormentChen
GEN 4 TERROR BUT INSTEAD OF FIRE/STEEL IS IN FACT ROCK/FLYING AND BETTER (Archen) @ Eviolite/BerryJuice
EVs: 156 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd / 20 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect / Roost
- Torment
- Acrobatics

Although this set looks, extremely stupid, it's actually insane how many switches this dumb thing can force. Diglett with rock slide giving you troubles? torment, and watch as it struggle to do jack all to the almighty archen of doom as it just sits there confused about what move it was just hit by. Choice scarf mon switching in? It better have uturn or volt switch, cuz it'll be STRUGGLING to do anything when it's locked into it's move, while archen gets a free recovery/sub. Best new meta set y/y

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Archen @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

Offensive Archen with a twist: Instead of using Rock Slide, I'm of course using Rock Tomb. While It has slightly less power, Rock Tomb's guaranteed speed drop always ensures that you'll at the very least be able to get another hit in (so long as they're 24 speed or lower). Given Archen's massive attack stat and access to high powered moves, you're sure to hit something very damn hard. I've actually had better experiences with Rock Tomb over Slide (yes, I've been testing it), and especially with U-Turn, you're able to apply a lot more pressure to your opponent than with Rock Slide. -15 BP for +5 accuracy and a great secondary effect is a great trade-off.
Hey, doesn't this look familiar?

View attachment 12384
Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 132 HP / 36 Def / 108 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Low Sweep
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave / Focus Blast

This requires some explanation.

Low Sweep slows down most switchins, letting Croagunk outspeed them with its 14 Speed. The immune Ghost types are weak to Shadow Ball, and Sludge Bomb and the Fighting move act as STAB. The EVs in Defenses are inefficient, but nothing else could be done with 72 EVs: they do help improve survivability without Eviolite, however.

Thanks! :)

Here's my Scarf Archen that I currently rely on LC competititve battling:
Archen @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 180 Atk / 132 SDef / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Pluck
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

So, most likely, Pokemon w/ Choice item is best used when it has scouting moves such as Volt Switch and U-turn.
Earthquake is a powerful Physical attack move that doesn't make any contact.
STAB Rock attack move can be also handy for some Flying/Ice/Bug/Fire coverage. Commonly used on Vullaby, Amaura, Snover, Dwebble, Larvesta, Chimchar, Darumaka, other, etc.
Stone Edge deals massive damage but its accuracy is too shaky. Rock Slide's accuracy is 90 but can flinch the opposing mon.
Finally, Knock Off is also good for coverage and hit Misdreavus, Abra and other threats on LC. Pluck can also be used due to this set having 3 moves that only hits fighting types by 1/2 the original damage.

Okay time for voting! This is a little late, I've been busy with finals and such. Here are the sets (there are a lot):
Archen @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Pretty simple. Thrash things with Banded Archen or cripple something with Switcheroo.
ROCK POLISH 48 PP AGILITY ARCHEN GOML

Archen @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish 48 PP AGILITY
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Head Smash
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Archen can utilize Rock Polish 48 PP AGILITY very effectively, quickly boosting its normally middling speed to a remarkable 32, 48 TIMES. It can then use a few of its powerful moves, such as Acrobatics, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Knock Off or Head Smash, to plow through teams lacking strong priority. Watch out!

SexBot (Archen) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

This set is pretty cool on offensive teams that need a one time check to fighting types, while still providing Stealth Rock support for the team. U-turn is also nice, as Archen forces out current threats like Fletchling and DodrioDoduo giving your team free momentum. Honestly I think that U-turn is very underrated on Archen right now.

blaraedit: idiot.

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Huge Power Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Acrobatics

HONE THOSE CLAWS. Come in on something you force out (aka Fletchling), and Sub/Hone Claws up! After a boost you're dealing unholy amounts of damage with Stone Edge, which has perfect accuracy after a boost. Last slot is either Earthquake for dat EdgeQuake coverage, or Acro for dat secondary STAB. Berry Juice is the item of choice so Defeatist doesn't become an issue.

Let's face it, Fletchling+Diglett is everywhere. Sub+Hone Claws Archen is a great way to punish those bitches for their unoriginality.

KAWWWW.
Archen @ Choice Band
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Knock Off

Archen with a Choice Band is a goddamn howitzer. The main move is Head Smash which is able to cut even the bulkiest opponents to ribbons. The recoil on it is a shame - especially when can trigger Defeatist - but not a lot of things can walk away from a STAB 150 Base Power move coming off 22 attack with a Choice Band.

180+ Atk Choice Band Archen Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 188+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 9 - 12 (45 - 60%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

180+ Atk Choice Band Archen Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 100 Def Combee: 172 - 208 (905.2 - 1094.7%) -- could kill a swarm of the fuckers

Earthquake punishes switches like Pawniard and gives great coverage with Head Smash. U-Turn is great for switches too and Knock Off is good coverage. Nuke-bird has some problems with speed and recovery, but it can really hurt things.

Archen @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant / Jolly
- Head Smash / Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Switcheroo
- Knock Off / Aerial Ace

180 Atk Archen Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Scyther: 88-108 (382.6 - 469.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Archen hits either 22 or 20 Attack with maximum EVs depending on the nature. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, Archen becomes a solid revenge-killer, taking out weakened Pokemon with its powerful attacks. Head Smash is Archen's most powerful attack, OHKOing Eviolite Misdreavus 81.3% of the time after Stealth Rock, but other rock-type STAB moves could also be run if the recoil and/or accuracy is less than desirable. Earthquake packs phenomenal coverage with Archen's rock-type STAB, allowing Archen to outspeed and OHKO unsuspecting Scarf Pawniards and Magnemites. U-Turn is a nice move for scouting and maintaining momentum, but Switcheroo is an option for crippling certain walls. Knock Off is able to cripple switch-ins, allowing Archen and the rest of the team to deal with them more easily later on, but Aerial Ace could be used to revenge-killed weakened Scraggy and Timburr; keep in mind that it doesn't OHKO if they have Eviolite intact and they are fairly healthy.
Archen @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 Spd / 156 HP / 76 Def / 76 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Roost
- Knock Off / U-turn
- Taunt

TAUNTCHEN. this is just another set using part of archen's oddly big support movepool and its cool typing. taunt things that can't really hurt you like porygon, foongus etc, then proceed to either remove their item or gain momentum with u-turn. fast taunt is always nice. probably outclassed by mienfoo but everything good was taken already.

also sorry for posting a gimmick last week don't hurt me ;-;
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge/Aerial Ace
- Roar
- Iron Defense
- Roost

I don't play XY LC all that much, but:

Archen @ Berry Juice
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Substitute is the crux of this set, it serves two purposes. First of it means teams with an offensive Archen weakness (which is quite some actually) can't revenge kill it, if they rely on Carvanha for example they lose one Pokémon minimum, probably more. This gives you a pretty big advantage. Also this gives you the advantage against slower bulky switchin since you get two hits on. Now, Substitute may seem like a bit weird considering Defeatist, but that's actually where its second purpose comes in handy: you can Substitute down to Berry Juice level if needed, recovering to full health removing Defeatist as well as fully powering up Acrobatics. As for the other three moves, Acrobatics and Stone Edge are powerful STABs, while Earthquake is the best coverage by far, hitting Pawniard, Chinchou, Tirtouga etc. for the KO.
Archen @ Focus Sash/Berry Juice
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 SDef / 76 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Acrobatics

Behold the best lead archen you've ever seen. With a decent speed of 17, Archen can speed tie or outspeed most common leads, such as mienfoo or dwebble. Taunt prevents any sort of hazards, status, or set up from coming on to your team. Stealth Rock is an obvious choice on a lead, getting damage on switch ins and crippling common bug and fire types, like dwebble (again) and Ponyta. When brought down to low health or sash, a tailwind can be set up, allowing for slower Pokemon wall break or even manage a sweep. Examples of these Pokemon include ddance scraggy and eviolite Drilbur. You can opt for stone edge or acro, as Stone edge still hits strong even with a defeatist debuff. Acrobatics can use the extra power of the removed item to make dents. If you plan on using berry juice, you're better off with acrobatics. A sash set prefers the Unchanging power of stone edge.

Other options:
Eviolite is a solid item if you're looking for bulk. On this set, opt out of acrobatics and use stone edge.

If you're running Sash and have one hp left, head smash is an option for the attacking move, as the sheer power and lack of health mean that both your lead archen and your opponent may fall. This move is to be used only when left at 1 hp, as it makes the sash useless beforehand.

Rock Slide works over stone edge if you're worried about missing. The drop in power is noticeable, however.
Archen @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

Substitute avoids Pawniard's Sucker Punch so Earthquake can kill it, checks Fletchling fine since switching into Acrobatics after SR activates Berry Juice letting Acrobatics wreck it. Point of the set is Endeavor, which lets it go out with a bang. After it's subbed down to his maximum capacity, he should have 2 HP (or at least, less than 5 HP). If he's about to die, or they went into like Spritzee or Hippopotas, Endeavor them, die, and let something else take care of them. Easy peasy.
Archen @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

ok, since I don't feel like slapping some random move on archen, I'd like to propose TormentChen
GEN 4 TERROR BUT INSTEAD OF FIRE/STEEL IS IN FACT ROCK/FLYING AND BETTER (Archen) @ Eviolite/BerryJuice
EVs: 156 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd / 20 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect / Roost
- Torment
- Acrobatics

Although this set looks, extremely stupid, it's actually insane how many switches this dumb thing can force. Diglett with rock slide giving you troubles? torment, and watch as it struggle to do jack all to the almighty archen of doom as it just sits there confused about what move it was just hit by. Choice scarf mon switching in? It better have uturn or volt switch, cuz it'll be STRUGGLING to do anything when it's locked into it's move, while archen gets a free recovery/sub. Best new meta set y/y
Here's my Scarf Archen that I currently rely on LC competititve battling:
Archen @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 180 Atk / 132 SDef / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Pluck
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide

So, most likely, Pokemon w/ Choice item is best used when it has scouting moves such as Volt Switch and U-turn.
Earthquake is a powerful Physical attack move that doesn't make any contact.
STAB Rock attack move can be also handy for some Flying/Ice/Bug/Fire coverage. Commonly used on Vullaby, Amaura, Snover, Dwebble, Larvesta, Chimchar, Darumaka, other, etc.
Stone Edge deals massive damage but its accuracy is too shaky. Rock Slide's accuracy is 90 but can flinch the opposing mon.
Finally, Knock Off is also good for coverage and hit Misdreavus, Abra and other threats on LC. Pluck can also be used due to this set having 3 moves that only hits fighting types by 1/2 the original damage.

Let me know if I missed anyone.

Zeriloa
Using a defensive Archen (Eviolite) While running on full speed (17 speed stat) that uses Taunt can stop most setters like Dwebble, Ferroseed, Hippopotas, Tirtouga, Scraggy, Shellder, Binacle, Omanyte, Surskit, Trubbish, and other LC mons. :)
Nice set. ^^

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Definitely a lot to pick from this time. I am torn between blarajan and boo836 (I liked yours though too zeriloa). I like boo836's, but since I use Rock Tomb myself I feel like it is not very new, so I am going to have to go with blarajan here.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
a vote for me is a vote to stop pp stall
48 pp will get you thru the hard times :)))

Reactions: OP
My set might be effective but tbh it's just maximizing the potential of the standard Juicechen set. Rock Tomb, believe it or not is actually superior to Rock Slide, but it doesn't really change much save for one move. Levi has a much more inventive set that changes Archen's role. Blarajan took it even further but i feel that it isn't as effective at dealing proper damage in this offensive metagame (though it could serve as a 141 wallbreaker. My vote is going to CCorporeal Levi.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)