Metagame np: Stage 1 - We Might Be Dead By Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before, use Swanna for good Defog support!
Swanna @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane/Air Slash/Ice Beam
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
It is, without a doubt, the best offensive Defogger in the tier now, being fairly quick at 98 speed, having reliable recovery and being immune to Sticky Web and Spikes. Defiant Pokemon can't really switch into Swanna safely since Scald can burn Pawniard and Primeape is OHKOed by Hurricane or Air Slash. Water/Flying and Water/Ice is pretty good coverage with only two moves as well. Also very good on or facing rain teams. Definitely a very underrated NU Pokemon. Don't know how this only has less than 2% usage.
Yeah I think Swanna is the only offensive Defogger in the tier right now, so being the best isn't too difficult :P Haven't used it myself but they say Swanna is pretty good. It's got good offensive presence which is very helpful for Defogging safely. It also matches up well against common hazard setters like Rhydon, Seismitoad who can't really touch you, Qwilfish almost gets oneshotted by Hurricane etc. Go Swanna! Pelipper still the best imo

Yeah I think Swanna is the only offensive Defogger in the tier right now, so being the best isn't too difficult :P Haven't used it myself but they say Swanna is pretty good. It's got good offensive presence which is very helpful for Defogging safely. It also matches up well against common hazard setters like Rhydon, Seismitoad who can't really touch you, Qwilfish almost gets oneshotted by Hurricane etc. Go Swanna! Pelipper still the best imo
Offensive Pelipper gg

You can run Defog on Swellow and Archeops.
But you're right, NU is really lacking on offensive defoggers right now. Do we even have a Defogger not Water or Flying?

Gatr/Archeops didn't move up? o_o anyway, glad to see tomb gone, rip gurdurr

edit: ras said they might move up, not will

Last edited:
been laddering for some time now and I've found that crustle (idk if it's better than omastar or not) offense is disgustingly consistent and also easy to build/use. you just shove a bunch of threats on a team with crustle and spiritomb for spinblocking (or any ghost but spiritomb is the best spinblocker) and voila.

also, an awesome offensive partnership I've been using seems to be which workin out:

Electivire @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return

electivire works as a nice lure to a bunch of common gatr switch-ins including vileplume, ferroseed, seismitoad and lanturn. gatr is then free to sweep :)

can I also just say that NU is infinitely more fun to play when there is not your typical combusken team every 2 battles. so many teams prior to the ban were essentially combusken/xatu/feraligatr/kangaskhan/filler/filler and it got extremely boring and repetitive.

been laddering for some time now and I've found that crustle (idk if it's better than omastar or not) offense is disgustingly consistent and also easy to build/use. you just shove a bunch of threats on a team with crustle and spiritomb for spinblocking (or any ghost but spiritomb is the best spinblocker) and voila.

also, an awesome offensive partnership I've been using seems to be which workin out:

Electivire @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return

electivire works as a nice lure to a bunch of common gatr switch-ins including vileplume, ferroseed, seismitoad and lanturn. gatr is then free to sweep :)

can I also just say that NU is infinitely more fun to play when there is not your typical combusken team every 2 battles. so many teams prior to the ban were essentially combusken/xatu/feraligatr/kangaskhan/filler/filler and it got extremely boring and repetitive.
Frustration > Return and E-Belt > LO imo.

But its true, I've been using that partnership in my RTM (here) and its a very powerful combo, But I prefere to use this spread on E-vire:
Megabuzz (Electivire) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

Cross chop is for Pink blobs cause fuck pink blobs. Toad is not OHKOed by HP grass sadly :[

Frustration > Return and E-Belt > LO imo.

But its true, I've been using that partnership in my RTM (here) and its a very powerful combo, But I prefere to use this spread on E-vire:
Megabuzz (Electivire) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

Cross chop is for Pink blobs cause fuck pink blobs. Toad is not OHKOed by HP grass sadly :[
yeah, ebelt can also be used. I prefer LO though, cause tbolt is a little weak on neutral targets without LO :(

shame you really can't run cross chop AND hp grass, but I guess it's whatever you need to hit specifically. audino is very annoying, though. also: 252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 354-416 (85.5 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO so with a little prior damage (or rocks + 1 spike) you can ko toad, so it's not a giant deal.

yeah, ebelt can also be used. I prefer LO though, cause tbolt is a little weak on neutral targets without LO :(

shame you really can't run cross chop AND hp grass, but I guess it's whatever you need to hit specifically. audino is very annoying, though. also: 252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 354-416 (85.5 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO so with a little prior damage (or rocks + 1 spike) you can ko toad, so it's not a giant deal.
232 SpA Expert Belt Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 317-374 (76.5 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:[

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gatr/Archeops didn't move up? o_o anyway, glad to see tomb gone, rip gurdurr
They aren't gone yet. They're just close to rising to RU by usage when the tier shifts come next month. But as of now, you can still use Tomb, Gatr, and Omastar in NU.

List Barton said, Crustle is seeing more play, and its really good. Its one of the few spikers Xatu can't switch into safely, and is surprisingly bulky. With the lack of defoggers (I saw a good variety yesterday and Swanna seems like the only decent one), that Crustle-Spiritomb core seems rather potent.

I like crustle too mainly due to it being able to hold mental herb which prevents it from getting taunted and its ability to threaten the defoggers and Xatu.
I have had decent success with sticky web too. Kricketune is by far the best SW user as it can taunt defoggers and can surprise attackers with endeavour. Magmortar becomes god with sticky web support due to its coverage. Gator can now spam 2 Waterfall instead of aqua jet. And... You get the point.
Mespirit is the best pokemon in NU atm. It can run a plethora of sets and fits on all playstyles. I use an expert belt set to feign scarf and lure in ferroseed. However, i learnt the hard way that good players scout for it by protecting or double switching. So, now i keep the surprise for later in the game. ;)
Now, weather. Honestly, rain is the more fearsome playstyle to face. Specs Omastar in rain is a lot like specs Keldeo in rain but with much more speed and power as it runs modest. :O
Ludicolo is as powerful as always. However, i think that qwilphis is a pretty underrated rain sweeper. It gets swords dance and the fastest of the lot. It can take out a problematic pokemon with explosion / destiny bond too opening a sweep for a teammate.
Lastly, i want to talk about Kangaskhan. With dual priority in fake out and sucker punch it can check many fast offensive threats especially with hazard support. Most of the time, frail offensive pokemon will switch out of it and if i can predict that, i get to hit something hard with return or earthquake. Seriously people, use kanga. Its good.

Sticky Web Teams are extremely threatening atm guys. Leavanny/Pawniard/Mismag is one of the best offensive cores for Web Teams, with Leavanny setting up webs, Pawniard being a FogBlock, and Mismag as a spinblocker. For Offensive mons, I like to use Mesprit, Zangoose, and Samurott. This team has been working acceptionally well, and I would like your opinions on the Sticky Web meta.

Also which do you think is better? Sun or Rain?

this set come to leafeon set could probly beat ou pokes
Unpredictable sweeper (leafeon) @ choice band
abilty chlorphyll
evs 252 attack Speed 4 spD
adament nature
-leaf blade
-knock off
-x scissor
-aereal ace
leafeon is usely run defensive so this will encourage a special sweeper out like jynx or haunter u can go for knock off 252+ Atk Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jynx: 460-542 (169.1 - 199.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haunter: 386-456 (166.3 - 196.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It can OHKO alot of things and do alot of damage. something that supports this set is Beheeyem

Beheeyem @ choice specs
Abity analytic
252 Spa and Hp 4 spD
modest nature
-dark pulse
-psychic/psyshock
-thunderbolt
-energy ball/psychock
this a realy good sweeper

this set come to leafeon set could probly beat ou pokes
Unpredictable sweeper (leafeon) @ choice band
abilty chlorphyll
evs 252 attack Speed 4 spD
adament nature
-leaf blade
-knock off
-x scissor
-aereal ace
leafeon is usely run defensive so this will encourage a special sweeper out like jynx or haunter u can go for knock off 252+ Atk Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jynx: 460-542 (169.1 - 199.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haunter: 386-456 (166.3 - 196.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It can OHKO alot of things and do alot of damage. something that supports this set is Beheeyem

Beheeyem @ choice specs
Abity analytic
252 Spa and Hp 4 spD
modest nature
-dark pulse
-psychic/psyshock
-thunderbolt
-energy ball/psychock
this a realy good sweeper
Leafeon is a good poke but there is not a chance that jynx or haunter will switch in on you, both are faster and could probs OHKO if they are out first, also aerial ace doesn't offer much extra coverage, better to use SD/Heal Bell/Synthesis imo.

Beheeyem is also good but can't sweep because it is too slow

Leafeon is a good poke but there is not a chance that jynx or haunter will switch in on you, both are faster and could probs OHKO if they are out first, also aerial ace doesn't offer much extra coverage, better to use SD/Heal Bell/Synthesis imo.

Beheeyem is also good but can't sweep because it is too slow
Speaking of Beheeyem, I've been testing an Assault Vest variant, and it hasn't been too shabby. You bluff Choice Specs extremely well, and it gives more opportunities for Beheeyem to tank and proceed to fire off powerful analytic boosted attacks. You also aren't choice locked.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think I'll bring up a pretty underrated and somewhat irrelevant pokemon because there's nothing to do and I am out of hot pockets.

boner joke here (Marowak) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head/Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang/Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Substitute
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge/Stealth Rocks

Thick club is essentially a huge power boost that gives marowak a nice and meaty maximum 568 attack stat.

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Vileplume: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Audino: 294-348 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Crustle: 214-252 (62.2 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, marowak does have its drawbacks, that being that it must hold thick club in order to be able to stand out; meaning it wont be able to use anything like leftovers or assvest to help its alredy bad special bulk.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
sub
I think I'll bring up a pretty underrated and somewhat irrelevant pokemon because there's nothing to do and I am out of hot pockets.

boner joke here (Marowak) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head/Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang/Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge/Stealth Rocks

Thick club is essentially a huge power boost that gives marowak a nice and meaty maximum 568 attack stat.

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Vileplume: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Audino: 294-348 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Crustle: 214-252 (62.2 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, marowak does have its drawbacks, that being that it must hold thick club in order to be able to stand out; meaning it wont be able to use anything like leftovers or assvest to help its alredy bad special bulk.
Sub is a better option to have over stone edge miss. It allows you to sub on the switch or on a status from a slow wall and also if you lead and they rocks you have a free sub up after you kill them. Also it helps to eliminate having to predict if they are going to switch into a flying type or not.

Lapras is among the few Pokémon to receive Freeze-Dry (already used by Mamoswine in OU to lure Rotom-W). Except that Lapras is the only Water/Ice Pokémon who can use this move!

Lapras @ Assault Vest / Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet / Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Surf
- Ice Shard / Substitute / Frost Breath

Here is an idea of a pivot set. Freeze-Dry might be 23% weaker than Ice Beam, but it has the advantage of hitting fellow Water-types super effectively and has almost perfect coverage with Water moves (only Jynx and Shedinja resist both Freeze-Dry and Water moves). Ice Shard finishes off weakened targets while Substitute blocks status (only with Leftovers). Frost Breath bypasses Special Defense boosts and hits as hard as Ice Beam.

Yeah I agree, sd eviolite > life orb sneasel. Can live a lot more hits with eviolite, especially resisting sucker punch, sd and do decent damage. Its more difficult for sneasel to live a hit and still dish out more than 1 attack with life orb and rocks damage
Absolutely. Give up to eviolite for a "LC" pokemon, could be waste Sneasel resources.

Electivire @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return

The coresteal is real no credit smh :[

Oh also posting a set I'm really liking atm:
Samurott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

This samurott is the best samurott. Using Substitute, it can ease predictions, avoid crippling status, and most importnatly reach torrent to spam OP attacks at walls. Its a really awesome move to use over the common Aqua Jet, as a correctly timed substitute on a forced switch basically means the opponent has to sac a pokemon to revenge the substitute. Just a nice variant of Special Rott for everybody to try, I like it better than standard tbh

I have a realy good alteria set that can obliterate walls
Alteria@life orb/leftovers
abilty cloud nine
adamant nature
-dragon dance/hone claws
-dragon claw/dragon rush/outrage
-earthquake/pursuit/perish song
-roost
this set draws in speacial walls to come out like vileplume and you can use dragon dance to get that boost to attack and speed to easly take a huge chunk of health of the enemy
+1 252+ Atk Altaria Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Vileplume: 165-195 (46.6 - 55%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery that is dencet right?
+1 252+ Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Metang: 126-150 (38.8 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
dencet after dragon dance

i also have a troll set sunflora set
TROLOLOLOL (sunflora)@ choice specs
abilty early bird
evs 252 Spa and speed 4hp
-giga drain
-earth power
-sludge bomb
-hidden power ice/electric
you just want to see the look on the oppents face that they got swept sunflora

Heat Rock/Damn Rock need to go, man, the weather spam is real.
And we had too many good hazards setters and spin blockers, but really bad spinners.
Fun meta anyway.

And hi, i am a new user, maybe someone already saw on the ladder, sorry for my inglish c:
People, run Toxic Crustle, is the very best

So, with all the talkof there not being any good Defoggers, I guess I will post a cool core I've been using down here.

Mantine @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- Rest

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Clearly you'd pair Slurpuff, or another cleric, with this core due to Mantine having Rest. Basically, these two have incredible synergy with each other, and as well as with other walls in the tier: Ferroseed, Vileplume, Spiritomb, Slurpuff, and a couple of others. Seismitoad removes people of their Leftovers, Life Orbs, or choice items, which helps Mantine stall them out with Toxic+Rest, or burn if you'd rather that. Mantine is also reliable at Defogging, and easily switches into special attackers due to its monstrous Sp bulk. Mantine is also the cutest hoe in this joint.

Last edited:

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch / Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

This thing is a surprisingly good tank/wallbreaker. It's sort of the Conkeldurr of NU (fck you, Gurdurr). Super high base HP, so investing in Defense is reasonable. Close Combat is a bit awkward seeing as it lowers the stats you're "investing" in (252 EVs for Def, AV for SpDef), but it's quite powerful for wallbreaking. Ice Punch is for Vileplume and such, and Knock Off is Knock Off. Prio move of your choice. If only it had a better movepool and didn't hate Tomb/Puff so much.

Unfortunately it may be a bit outclassed by Gurdurr, but who knows, Gurdurr might move up from usage or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)