Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on a two-type Monotype? I'd call it DuoType I guess.

Basically the same thing as Monotype but 2 types are allowed, so you could use Water + Flying, or Dragon + Ground, or Psychic + Steel, etc. I think this would add some diversity to teambuilding strategy while keeping the theme of specializing in types. Also it could help some types, such as Fighting, be more viable.

The games themselves embody this to an extent as Kanto's Elite 4 all follow this structure. Lorelei is Ice + Water, Bruno is Fighting + Rock, Agatha is Ghost + Poison, and Lance is Dragon + Flying.

Edit: Yeah I like the idea of "Every team member must share at least one type with the leader". It seems like the most simple way to phrase it.

Edit 2: It's basically a knock-off Follow the Leader, I didn't think of that. Back to the drawing board lmao. Thanks for the feedback :)

Last edited:

Basically the same thing as Monotype but 2 types are allowed, so you could use Water + Flying, or Dragon + Ground, or Psychic + Steel, etc. I think this would add some diversity to teambuilding strategy while keeping the theme of specializing in types. Also it could help some types, such as Fighting, be more viable.

The games themselves embody this to an extent as Kanto's Elite 4 all follow this structure. Lorelei is Ice + Water, Bruno is Fighting + Rock, Agatha is Ghost + Poison, and Lance is Dragon + Flying.
Agatha's team was legit mono poison

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.

Hmm, maybe there should be a rule that one of the Pokémon on your team has to be both of the chose types? Just a suggestion.

Hey guys,

I've been playing ROM a lot, and I've had a concept idea that others might find interesting. I unfortunately haven't gone through the 93 pages of this thread, so let me know if it's been done/talked about already.

Clone Wars

5845684585.png

Metagame premise: Your team is comprised of 6 of the same species. No different forms allowed: if you pick Rotom-Wash, all 6 have to be Rotom-Wash. Same with Alolan forms.

This meta would favour Pokemon who can successfully pull off many different sets and who can play different roles depending on moves, abilities or spread. Now you don't have to pick, you can have them all at once!

Potential bans and threats: OU bans and clauses, but I can't think of individual bans for now.

Possible threats?
-Mew and Smeargle, as they can run pretty much anything.
-Mixed attackers (like Greninja, Salamence or Jirachi)
-Pokemon who typically struggle to fit everything in one set (like Dragonite, Hydreigon or Landorus-T).

Questions for the community: Would it be too redundant to play with one Pokemon 6 times? Would you still play through the battle even if you were at a Pokemon/type disadvantage?

Hey guys,

I've been playing ROM a lot, and I've had a concept idea that others might find interesting. I unfortunately haven't gone through the 93 pages of this thread, so let me know if it's been done/talked about already.

Clone Wars

View attachment 135689

Metagame premise: Your team is comprised of 6 of the same species. No different forms allowed: if you pick Rotom-Wash, all 6 have to be Rotom-Wash. Same with Alolan forms.

This meta would favour Pokemon who can successfully pull off many different sets and who can play different roles depending on moves, abilities or spread. Now you don't have to pick, you can have them all at once!

Potential bans and threats: OU bans and clauses, but I can't think of individual bans for now.

Possible threats?
-Pokemon who typically struggle to fit everything in one set (like Dragonite, Hydreigon or Landorus-T).

Questions for the community: Would it be too redundant to play with one Pokemon 6 times? Would you still play through the battle even if you were at a Pokemon/type disadvantage?
Cool so Lando Lando Lando Lando Lando Lando :D

Hmm, maybe there should be a rule that one of the Pokémon on your team has to be both of the chose types? Just a suggestion.
I love this idea personally but I could have swore there was an idea like but I could be wrong but then again you could pick two Pokémon types which compliment each other to bad there is no steel dragon type in ou or below cause that would be like the team

but pretty much steel and water ever else is I think is how things would turn out

also its death sentence to have a mono Pokémon as your lead right?

im looking at magerna being a lead

with access to very powerful steel and fairy types

or maybe aggron/steelix/excadrill

volcerona?

skarmary would be interesting

what about a gimic

and then you can just bite the bullet and use staraptor for chancey/blissey+skarmory

Hey guys,

Clone Wars

View attachment 135689

Possible threats?

I don't know, sounds like a bad version of Follow Leader

EDIT: Sorry CrystalFalchion, didn't mean to copy you.

Don't know how much would it be viable or if it has already been posted, but what about a meta in which you can actually switch pokemon only with moves that switch the user out (u-turn/volt switch/ecc)?

First Served*
*name may subject to changes
Metagame Premise: The first Pokemon in the team shares its moveslot with the rest of the party. As in, they gain access to their own and the first Pokemon's moveslots. The top moveslot will be its own while the bottom belongs to the first Pokemon. And yes, the first Pokemon doesn't get the sharing moveslot feature.

Basically, a single version of Partner in Crime except without the ability sharing part.

Banlist:
OU clause

Banned Pokemon:
Kyurem-Black
Smeargle

Moves banned from sharing (these moves will not show up at the bottom moveslot):
Belly Drum
Chatter
Extreme Speed
Final Gambit
Geomancy
Lovely Kiss
Quiver Dance
Shell Smash
Shift Gear
Sticky Web
Spore
Thousand Arrows
Transform

Potential bans and threats:
Smeargle gets access to almost any move in the game with Sketch, so it might be a huge threat as the first Pokemon. Seems like something that I should just straight out ban it, but its low stats states otherwise.

Another dangerous threat to keep an eye on would be Zygarde. In addition to Thousand Arrows, it can give Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed to the rest of the team, as well as getting other nifty stuff such as V-create or U-turn if it isn't the first Pokemon.

Kyurem-Black would appreciate getting Icicle Crash and Earthquake from Mamoswine, along several others. I feel like it's best to see it in action first before taking any action.

want to see komala using roar or whirlwind with sleep talk over and over again

Question for the community:
Should the moveslot sharing part last until the first Pokemon faints or till the battle ends?
Anything else that's missing on the banlist? What else shouldn't be banned in the first place?

Last edited:
small cup.

little cup but pokemon with only one stage in their evolutionary line (like shuckle or tauros), get to join in as well. probably one single stage pokemon on a team only idk im too tired and lazy to think right now

small cup.

little cup but pokemon with only one stage in their evolutionary line (like shuckle or tauros), get to join in as well. probably one single stage pokemon on a team only idk im too tired and lazy to think right now
I suggest banning legends, tapus, megas and ultras.

Rotom forms and heracross look threatening.

I suggest banning legends, tapus, megas and ultras.

Rotom forms and heracross look threatening.
oh yeah, another big threat is delibird funny enough, spikes and destiny bond make him a bit of a bully to the first stage evolutions. also i was thinking about upping the level cap, what do you think?

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I don't think you can get any of those at level 5, besides the Creation Trio from that Arceus event.
It’s more than just the Creation Trio.

The Creation Trio can be received at Level 1 from the Arceus event, or Level 5 with their Hidden Abilities (Telepathy, which is useless) from Dream Radar.

Ho-oh, Lugia, Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus can be obtained at Level 5 through Dream Radar, with their Hidden Abilities. So we’d have to deal with Regenerator Ho-oh, Multiscale Lugia and Lando-T.

There have been Level 5 events for Jirachi and Mew.

If you count Manaphy, it can be obtained at Level 1 also, through the Pokémon Ranger event.

Regigigas can be found at Level 1 in Platinum.

It’s more than just the Creation Trio.

The Creation Trio can be received at Level 1 from the Arceus event, or Level 5 with their Hidden Abilities (Telepathy, which is useless) from Dream Radar.

Ho-oh, Lugia, Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus can be obtained at Level 5 through Dream Radar, with their Hidden Abilities. So we’d have to deal with Regenerator Ho-oh, Multiscale Lugia and Lando-T.

There have been Level 5 events for Jirachi and Mew.

If you count Manaphy, it can be obtained at Level 1 also, through the Pokémon Ranger event.

Regigigas can be found at Level 1 in Platinum.
yeah there needs to bans for some pokemon

I've got a metagame submission in the works, so I can't submit the idea myself at the moment, but would anyone be interested reviving VoltTurn Mayhem by Rumors? There are four new Pokemon that I think will be particularly good:

Golispod seems like it was made with VoltTurn Mayhem in mind. Not only does it have a very powerful priority move, but First Impression's drawback gets negated by VoltTurn, and Emergency Exit negates opposing VoltTurn.

The mechanics of Battle Bond pressure the opponent to hard switch. Hydro Cannon and a powerful priority move is just icing on the cake.

Fake Out, and priority in general, was incredibly popular last gen. Psychic Terrain shuts that down.

This thing basically just has Huge Power now.

Last edited:
First Served*
*name may subject to changes
Metagame Premise: The first Pokemon in the team shares its moveslot with the rest of the party. As in, they gain access to their own and the first Pokemon's moveslots. The top moveslot will be its own while the bottom belongs to the first Pokemon. And yes, the first Pokemon doesn't get the sharing moveslot feature.

Basically, a single version of Partner in Crime except without the ability sharing part.

Banlist:
OU clause

Banned Pokemon:
None yet

Moves banned from sharing (these moves will not show up at the bottom moveslot):
Chatter
Final Gambit
Geomancy
Lovely Kiss
Shift Gear
Sticky Web
Spore
Transform

Potential bans and threats:
Smeargle gets access to almost any move in the game with Sketch, so it might be a huge threat as the first Pokemon. Seems like something that I should just straight out ban it, but its low stats states otherwise.

Another dangerous threat to keep an eye on would be Zygarde. In addition to Thousand Arrows, it can give Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed to the rest of the team, as well as getting other nifty stuff such as V-create or U-turn if it isn't the first Pokemon.

Kyurem-Black would appreciate getting Icicle Crash and Earthquake from Mamoswine, along several others. I feel like it's best to see it in action first before taking any action.

want to see komala using roar or whirlwind with sleep talk over and over again

Question for the community:
Should the moveslot sharing part last until the first Pokemon faints or till the battle ends?
Anything else that's missing on the banlist? What else shouldn't be banned in the first place?
No Espeed, Quiver Dance, Belly Drum, Shell Smash, or TArrows.
Don't wait for Kyu-B. It needs to be quickbanned. Maybe also something to stop phazing? Which you just described.

I've got a metagame submission in the works, so I can't submit the idea myself at the moment, but would anyone be interested reviving VoltTurn Mayhem by Rumors? There are four new Pokemon that I think will be particularly good:

Golispod seems like it was made with VoltTurn Mayhem in mind. Not only does it have a very powerful priority move, but First Impression's drawback gets negated by VoltTurn, and Emergency Exit negates opposing VoltTurn.

The mechanics of Battle Bond pressure the opponent to hard switch. Hydro Cannon and a powerful priority move is just icing on the cake.

Fake Out, and priority in general, was incredibly popular last gen. Psychic Terrain shuts that down.

I'd be interested, but can we have a challenge-only version on the main server? I'd play it then. Or maybe more interest.

Toxapex is another cool addition to the meta, he can pivote and fish burns tanking a powerfull hit from an opponent (using a red card maybe). His weaknesses upon switchin can be circumvented by its teammates, tangrowth and mage are good partners i think, the first one taking tbolts, equakes and with regen, and the second one being a good sponge for psychic attacks and with access to fleur cannon.

Tapu koko and zeraora are also good new electric types, the latter can make electric type hyper beam and giga impact, allowing safe switchings to tangrowth, zygarde and lando.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)