Unpopular opinions

Yea Totodile is pretty solid, my only real complaint is there are -a lot- of good water types in Johto that are about as good as feraligator like Staryu, Mantine, Tentacruel, Lapras, and Quagsire.

Vs fire type competition really just being like...Growlithe if you're playing Crystal, and Magmar if you're playing GS(or if you get magby via odd egg) Unfortunately Crystal players don't get Vulpix because being able to get Vulpix's like level 26 or smth flamethrower + a fire stone(it's post-game only in silver) would be great
Vaild argument, But I think alot of other guys can learn fire moves (?) so I don't know really.

didls

formerly Besom
I feel like I might've brought this up somewhere in this subforum already but I'll take my chances

Can someone please explain to where all these rabid hordes of genwunners are? I've been in the core Pokefandom in some form for what, 4-5 years? Been playing the series and watching videos about it for much longer than that? And throughout that time I have literally maybe seen an amount of genwunners/unironic genwunner posts countable on two hands, with every instance of this resulting in OP being clowned on. And yet to this day people talk about them like they're utterly ubiquitous and have infested the online Pokemon space. It's by far the most bizarre, misaligned-with-reality bogeyman I have ever seen in any fanbase and I want to know just what exactly these people who propagate it are seeing that I'm not to keep hyping it up after all this time.
FR I don't think "genwunners" ever even existed outside of the most casual of the casual playerbase. Actually, I feel like the term is just used inorrectly because I've been called a "genwunner" multiple times just for my relatively mild Gen 1 takes.

FR I don't think "genwunners" ever even existed outside of the most casual of the casual playerbase. Actually, I feel like the term is just used inorrectly because I've been called a "genwunner" multiple times just for my relatively mild Gen 1 takes.
A lot of toxic people come and splart that you're a "genwunner" and "grow up" when you even critisize any new game, trust me, it's like calling someone a Karen when you mildly have different thoughts, and Good thing there isn't many of those people here.

Typhlosion is literally just budget Charizard. imo it should have received more choices that went with its 'volcanic' gimmick, give it access to Earth Power, give it acess to Scald like Emboar and Centiskorch; maybe even Explosion, that would've make it very interesting to use before the nerf. But instead it feels like a standard Fire mon with little to distinguish itself.

As I said before, free Dynabear.

It's... kind of the same problem Snivy has in BW, although it gets some breathing room due to resists not being so stacked through the game, and once it gets Coil, it can actually solo many more opponents than one would think in the second half of the game.

It's not that it can't work, but a one-click win is more popular.
Snivy is SO underrated in the original BW. Let me write a novel about why Snivy is actually the best starter.

Its stats are very unconventional (I prefer unique, but that's just me), which most people consider a flaw. It might be very fast, but 75/75 offenses are kind of bad, even for in-game. It does have good bulk, with most of that bulk coming from its defenses rather than its HP. This is great actually, because it's the perfect bulk distribution for abusing leech seed. On its own, these stats aren't that impressive, but they work amazingly well with its movepool to form a unique game plan like few other starters have.

Its movepool is pretty shallow, but the options that it does have are really good. It gets growth early, which allows it to sweep plenty of early fights. It later upgrades to coil, which allows it set up on most physical opponents. It gets leech seed, which assists this setup. Its STAB-options are good as well, with leaf tornado being a strong move for how early you get it, and leaf blade is about as good a STAB move as you could ask for. Now, its coverage consists of... return. I mean, it's not great, but it actually has great neutral coverage together with leaf blade at least. It also gets some more situational moves like screens or substitute that can also assist in setup.

So what's the result? Snivy actually has the most impressive gym and rival matchups of the gen 5 starters. It can sweep Chilli and Lenora with growth, though Lenora isn't consistent. It naturally has a good matchup against Clay thanks to its typing. It can set up coil and sweep Skyla and Brycen, despite the type disadvantage. It can solo Drayden with coil if you deposit the rest of your team, which makes it so you can't be phased out by dragon tail. Serperior also has by far the best late game compared to the other starters. It can set up on both Grimsley and Marshal with the defense boost of coil. It's naturally good against Shauntal's Jellicent and Golurk, and it's also mildly useful as a support Pokemon against Caitlin with leech seed and light screen. Meanwhile, Sammurott is basically completely neutral at the E4, and Emboar is completely shit.

The most impressive thing though, is its matchup against N (in Black at least). It completely walls ZEKROM of all things, so you can set up and sweep N. What other starter sweeps a character who is effectively the champion without extreme item support? It's insane.

I also think Serperior has one of the best designs out there. It is so different from any other Pokemon, which makes it really stand out. Its unique appearance fits its unique statline very well.

So in summary, Serperior's good bulk and access to useful support moves allow it to set up growth or coil to offset its rather low attack stat. Once fully set up, it can use its natural speed to sweep through the opponents team. This unique playstyle lets it sweep some really difficult fights, including the champion. Maybe it's just me, but soloing major matchups is extremely valuable to me, more than enough to make up for its lackluster route clearing abilities. Snivy might not be the most effecient Pokemon, in terms of how fast it can defeat most opponents, but it's better than the other starters in terms of effectiveness.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: It isn't Samurott that's flawed in design, it's Dewott
Dewott changes so little outside color, no wonder 3rd stage looked very different
Honestly, Dewott is kind of the bad link because it isn't like croconaw weird, but it really is just not fitting with the rest of the line. Oshawatt is cute and a klutz, Saumoratt is a big strong samauri, but dewott as a mid-stage tries to be a incredibly feirce guy that isn't really good looking, he just ooks off in his designs.

Hey, we Emboar defeners don't take kindly to insults! There us dozens of us, DOZENS!!!
I COUNTED WITH MY FINGERS, AND THERE WAS 0 AT LEAST!

edit; you don't get my smortinessinessinessinator-300 x 999 + yes is bigger!

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
swords dance is post-game in BW. You're definitely not getting to level 57 for natural swords dance before fighting the E3 lol
still doesn't compete with megahorn/scald/razorshell/revenge even unboosted since a majority of the game resists grass lol, as I've mentioned before Serp can struggle 2hkoing things even with 2 coil buffs and if you have to set up 4-6 buffs just to ohko a mon then you're not better than 2 mons that can 2hko most things unboosted
*Laughs in ugly pig starter that no-one likes but it's the best starter in for the game with flare blitz and like some random mega powerful fighting type move or whatever*
Literally my favorite starter line ;_;
but yea it gets flare blitz at 62 anyways lol, Emboar is a good starter but it really kinda sucks early-mid game because its best move is arm thrust and flame charge until it gets heat crash at 31 and then hammer arm until flamethrower at 43 and emboar honestly doesn't do the mixed attacker thing as well as Samurott does

Honestly, Dewott is kind of the bad link because it isn't like croconaw weird, but it really is just not fitting with the rest of the line. Oshawatt is cute and a klutz, Saumoratt is a big strong samauri, but dewott as a mid-stage tries to be a incredibly feirce guy that isn't really good looking, he just ooks off in his designs.
Well, Samurott is definitely the odd one out, because it's based on an entirely different animal than Oshawott and Dewott. It's a sea lion rather than an otter. The Bulbapedia page about its origin is actually really interesting:

Origin
While its pre-evolutions are based on otters, Samurott is rather based on a sea lion and an armored samurai.[1][2] While it was decided that Oshawott would be based on an otter, the designers had issues in creating a fully evolved form which was more interesting than just a bigger otter standing on two legs. At that point Yusuke Ohmura went to see real-life otters at an exhibit, but his attention was rather caught by the strength displayed by a nearby sea lion, and thus decided that the fully evolved form would rather be based on the latter animal.[2] Furthermore, to represent the variety in the human population of Unova, it was decided that the evolution families of the starter Pokémon would be based on the West, China and Japan. In the case of the Oshawott family, it had to represent Japan, and thus was based on Japanese samurai.[2] Samurott's inspiration also comes from the lifespan of a samurai, from a child (Oshawott) to a military commander (Samurott).

Samurott's tail may be based on a Japanese war fan. The "helmet" over its head appears to be based on the rare-spined murex shell. The markings on its chest make it reminiscent of a giant otter. Its ability to withdraw, attack with, and return its blade may be a reference to iaido, a Japanese martial art that uses similar swordplay in combat.

*Laughs in ugly pig starter that no-one likes but it's the best starter in for the game with flare blitz and like some random mega powerful fighting type move or whatever*
I thought Emboar was widely regarded as trash because lol Arm Thrust tho.

Don't quote me on that, haven't played BW since Gen 5 was the current one.

Fugly ass games. :blobnauseated:

Well, Samurott is definitely the odd one out, because it's based on an entirely different animal than Oshawott and Dewott. It's a sea lion rather than an otter. The Bulbapedia page about its origin is actually really interesting:

Origin
While its pre-evolutions are based on otters, Samurott is rather based on a sea lion and an armored samurai.[1][2] While it was decided that Oshawott would be based on an otter, the designers had issues in creating a fully evolved form which was more interesting than just a bigger otter standing on two legs. At that point Yusuke Ohmura went to see real-life otters at an exhibit, but his attention was rather caught by the strength displayed by a nearby sea lion, and thus decided that the fully evolved form would rather be based on the latter animal.[2] Furthermore, to represent the variety in the human population of Unova, it was decided that the evolution families of the starter Pokémon would be based on the West, China and Japan. In the case of the Oshawott family, it had to represent Japan, and thus was based on Japanese samurai.[2] Samurott's inspiration also comes from the lifespan of a samurai, from a child (Oshawott) to a military commander (Samurott).

Samurott's tail may be based on a Japanese war fan. The "helmet" over its head appears to be based on the rare-spined murex shell. The markings on its chest make it reminiscent of a giant otter. Its ability to withdraw, attack with, and ret urn its blade may be a reference to iaido, a Japanese martial art that uses similar swordplay in combat.
Ok, that is really intresting, but I still stand by that dewott looks odd since he' underdesigned in some ares, and trying to be complete opposites at once is kinda hard, and I think it wasn't executed very well. ( There was no way to execute it well )

Edit: DONT @ ME

Tenshi

Now Pignite might be ugly, but even it isn't as bad as this
^^^^^THIIIIISSSSS
Quilladin is a really shitty pignite clone and the only reason it's not the worst kalos mon is because Braixen is literally the 2nd most furry bait mon after Lopunny.

Lopunny is literally the fucking worst though, so hyper sexualized IN ITS OFFICIAL ART AND SPRITEWORK you can't possibly convince me that wasn't intentionally sexualized when it's an extremely feminine rabbit(yk cause that isn't a mascot of any sex related thing *cough* playboy rabbit) and it's literally covering its chest with its ass out. Gamefreak no.

Maybe is because I was spoiled by the Drayano romhacks, but another typing would have fit Emboar much better. Fire Dark would've been cool, and a good shout out to Nintendo's Prince of Darkness, Ganon.

Now Pignite might be ugly, but even it isn't as bad as this
I like the Chespin line, even my boi Quilladin, it looks like a cute happy pinata chestnut. For a hot take, Braixen is pretty overrated (I say this as a Quilladin fan and Delphox fan), I blame the anime and Pokken for that.

For a hot take, Braixen is pretty overrated, I blame the anime and Pokken for that.
Heh, cuz Fire type
No, Braixen is disgustingly fur bait. Delphox tries to reverse the damage, but then no one liked it cuz they're too busy horning for anime fox girl
Doesn't help the anime and Pokken gave it that voice
I find it negative in light like Primarina. The gender is too human based female, despite being the same for actual gender split like other starters

Tenshi

Honestly the only bad part about Delphox is its ear fur and even then it has a really nice witch aesthetic imo(I love witch aesthetics, Mismagius is one of my fav ghosts because of it). Braixen is too awful for me to ever try to use Delphox though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)