SM UU 13 Beaches

Introduction
I've wanted to use some kind of VoltTurn offense for a while now. I think it's one of the easiest strategies to use in Pokémon. I am a big fan of fast Pokémon, maybe it's because I enjoy running in real life. I made research on every member of my team. I tried to use not that obvious Pokémon that could work together, even though it looks like I used Ctrl C and Ctrl V. I think I used Pokémon that have potential to sweep late game if I weakened opponent's team.

Teambuilding procces

As I said, I wanted to use VoltTurn offense. In UU, there are two mega Pokémon that can utilize Volt Switch or U-Turn. Mega Manectric and Mega Beedrill are faces of the VoltTurn offense in UU. I have had some experience with Mega Beedrill so I decided to go with it. I heard people don't like this Pokémon, I don't know why. It has very good speed, great attack and most importantly, an amazing ability in Adaptability.

With U-Turn user, it's pretty important to also have a Volt Switch user. I tried to use all kinda viable users of it, it came down to Zeraora and Raikou. Don't roast me or anything, but I like Raikou a little bit more. It's also ''check'' to flying-types.

I read about Mega Beedrill's appreciation of entry hazards. Raikou kinda appreciates entry hazards too. Well, what offensive Pokémon doesn't appreciate them? So, when I read that I knew I want to use Froslass. Because of that, I set the next direction of my team.

I said that I wanted to take a new direction of the team. I chose Froslass because I wanted to use Bisharp. Bisharp loves when the opponent uses Defog thanks to Defiant. Bisharp is also offensive Pokémon. I love offensive Pokémon.

So I will be honest here. I added Scizor because I didn't know what should I use. I was going to replace it with Krookodile, but after like 20 games I saw how good it actually is, even tho it gives me another weakness to fire. I think it can be replaced with Krookodile, what do you think?

I wanted to have at least one Defog user if something goes wrong. I decided to go with Scarf Latias, so I can defeat the opponent's Nidoking, Infernape, and Terrakion.

The Team

Beedrill-Mega (F)
Ability: Swarm
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Fell Stinger

This is the standard set for Mega Beedrill. Nothing much to say here. Just that Fell Stinger is there for a late-game sweep. It can utilize Fell Stinger when the opponent's Pokémon is at low health and then it's pretty much bye bye.

Raikou
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

So I decided to go with Choice Specs Raikou. It hits really hard. I just really love the idea of maximum damage on Volt Switch. This is also standard set.

Froslass
Ability: Cursed Body
248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Spikes

Yeah, this is another standard set. Suicidal lead. Can burn stuff like Cobalion, Terrakion, and Krookodile. Icy Wind also lowers the opponent's Pokémon speed, so Scizor or Bisharp can come freely.

Bisharp (M)
Ability: Defiant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Ok, I don't know if I shouldn't use Darkinium-Z on this set, but after using it, the power of Sucker Punch and Knock Off is not that high and I may not be able to knock out the opponent's Pokémon.

Scizor (M)
Ability: Technician
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

I just love the CB Scizor set. Bullet Punch and U-Turn for obvious STABs. Pursuit mainly for Latias and other Psychic-types that can't touch Scizor. Superpower is there for Steel-types like Empoleon, Cobalion and for Magneton if you catch it upon a switch-in.

Latias
Ability: Levitate
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Healing Wish

This set is mainly for using Healing Wish. Bisharp, Scizor, and Raikou all appreciate it when they're at low health. It can also check other Scarfers, like Infernape, Hydreigon, and Nidoking.

Threatlist
Ok, I wanted to post some Pokémon that could give me trouble, but after so many games with this team, I know how to defeat Infernape, Hydreigon, Nidoking, and few more Pokémon. I know that you. Also, I know this team hasn't Stealth Rock, BUT (I know it's gonna sound weird) I haven't needed them.

Gameplan
The main idea is to look at the opponent's team and tell which two Pokémon I will need in the late game. For example, I will need Raikou and Bisharp. I won't let them in (only if I see a chance to set-up with Bisharp). Only when the opponent's team is weakened to the point where I can safely bring in one of those Pokémon in play and defeat the opponent. It may sound too simple and maybe you think it doesn't work, but it does.

Thanks, everyone for reading this. I would be grateful if you would point out some of the flaws in my team. Thanks!

Hey Abi_, first off I wanna say that this is a pretty cool & respectable idea and a nice take on it as well. As I was editing I noticed that ultimately I changed the structure of the team for the most part (actually apologize for this, looks like it's going to be a bad habit of mine), but I kept the ideas that stuck out to me, which were:
  • Volt-Turn
  • Hazard Stack
  • Defiant Abuser (Basically only Bisharp)
So with that out of the way, I wanna get into some of the things that building one of these types of teams usually necessitates, as well as some of the things that you should keep in mind/avoid during for future reference when building.
[Fell Stinger M-Bee, Big L]
Simply put, Mega-Beedrill is primarily used a pivot as you're already aware of, its typing/bulk & coverage doesn't grant it the option of being pivot-turn-cleaner like its bug-type counterpart, Scizor. Mega-Beedrill appreciates the coverage of Knock, Drill Run (hell even Protect on the first version)
& the utility that Toxic Spikes provide, so def keep that in mind.

[Common Scarfers / Fast Threats / Priority]
So this is just a list of household names in our tier that kind of give the original version a hard time, our common speed control in Hydreigon and especially Krookodile can be unforgiving , and M-Aero can be a pain as well so it's definitely good to keep that in mind. Bisharp being a big threat versus another Bisharp team is really new to me, but it happens.

----------

Updated Team & Revisions

[1]
So here I opted for a bulkier Spiker that could lighten your MU versus Krook, mainly. Froslass is pretty legit but wouldn't fit on the edited build because it's a suicide lead with no sustain, whereas Chesnaught provides defensive utility versus Krook, Sciz, Bish, M-Aero & chips common U-Turners/Rapid Spinners down to nil.
[2]
Gligar doesn't specifically replace Raikou, as their functionally different pokes, but I just added SR and kept momentum in U-Turn which I felt was pretty big. The SP.Def spread also allows it to act as a stand-in check for scouting Drei and Moltres, among other common threats. The reason you don't particularly need a defensive spread in my eyes is that you have the combination of Gligar and Chesnaught (and that Drill Run tech on Beedrill), so your Terrakion MU should be set.
[3]
Once again, Tentacruel doesn't specifically replace Scizor but it does do a fine job of removal and as a Scizor/Coba check as well. Nice glue mon, the combination of Tenta/Chesnaught/Pursuit trapper and extra assurance makes sure your Lati/Non-EP Celebi MU is very manageable.

Set Changes

[SD for AV]
Not much to be said here, apart from the fact that I think this is a very underrated pick. I recommend you try it out, maybe you'll end up falling for it like I did! It definitely feels right on this build, so please do try it out.
[Scarf for CM Z-Crystal]
This pick might make you slightly worried about your speed control, so I'll try to go in depth as to the benefits of Z over Scarf on this build. The only thing that Scarf Lati offers up is Healing Wish along with some very minor RKOing capabilities, usually outperformed by other common scarfers. CM gives you a Z User, win-con, and with Pursuit & hazard support, a reasonable out versus stall. Not to mention your team already had good tiers in Beedrill, Lati, and Sucker Bish --- and with the added defensive utility it doesn't struggle against any of the tier's common faster threats/scarfers.

----------

Final Words
The final product turned out a lot better than my own version of AV Bish spikes, which is good and bad at the same time (hahaha I suck). I always enjoy lookin' at your builds dude, you come up with some good ideas and inspire me to do the same. Keep up the good work dawg!

[click for heat-pack]

Really cool VoltTurn team you have Abi_ built around MegaBee but there are few issues I see which might affect how effective it can be. Your current team has a few issues with breaking some of the really bulky ground types in the tier as your best option is Bisharp which can't directly switch into an EQ from Hippo for example. I also am not the biggest fan of using Froslass Spike spam with this VoltTurn team which is why I'm going to deviate away from this but keep the VoltTurn theme you were going for.

Major Changes:

- Okay so I decided to swap out Raikou for Rotom-H because this gives you a better hazard remover and a more consistent answer to the flying types in the tier like Togekiss, Moltres etc. This still provides the Volt Switch user you wanted but just gives you a good Scizor and Malt check also. EVs mean it can OHKO Celebi after SR Dmg and I gave it 248 Spe EVs to be slower than other Rotom-H. Toxic punishes common switch-ins like Latias and Kommo-o.

- Next I dropped Froslass for Primarina because you need something that actually helps threaten the premier ground types in the tier like MegaLix and Hippo, to allow MegaBee and Scizor to put in work. Specs Prima just opens up a lot of doors for these Pokemon and gives you an answer to the dragon types in the tier like Kommo-o. I gave it a few more Speed EVs to be able to speed creep opposing Primarina. Both Scizor and MegaBee lure in these types of Pokemon which Specs Prima can then melt something.

- Finally I added Palossand because Cobalion, Terrakion and Maero are threats for this team and this alleviates this. It also gives you a ground type which you previously lacked. It also gave you a Stealth Rock user you didn't have before which is necessary on any team. Idk what the spread is for, Sei just said it checks Manec and Zera better so yeah. Colbur Berry is worth mentioning to ease the krook and Bish matchup.

Minor Changes:

- Just like 'sei. I suggest using a Calm Mind Latias especially now that you need a wincon. However I'd recommend an Electrium-Z variant on this squad to better handle breaking Empoleon, Mega-Aggron, Primarina etc. for MegaBee and Prima to put in more work. You can opt for 3 Atks Latias but I just went with BoltBeam + Recover to be a better sweeper than breaker.

- Fell Stinger is very niche so I suggest using either Toxic Spikes to ease the match-up against Balance and Stall, can also help out Latias. Or use Knock Off to be able to remove items from Gligar etc.

- Finally I suggest running an AV Scizor set to help with your Latias match-up etc. This still provides you with Pursuit support. I borrowed the set from Scizorphobic so props to him. It was mainly to also better handle Gengar but still providing some offensive presence.

I hope the team is to your liking and helps you with some of the match-ups you listed in your threat list. I know I diverged away from the spikes idea you had but I kept the VoltTurn spam so I hope this is still to your liking. If you have any questions just let me know ^_^

Last edited:
Hello again Abi_ ! Glad you did another RMT! I do like the idea of this team and VoltTurn in general is a fun and easy playstyle to use but there are a lot of things that conflict with each other on this team. I don’t think Froslass fits as a Spikes setter and Raikou is seen much more on bulkier hazard stacking teams with its niche to annoy checks with Sub Toxic. Many others have mentioned as well that you struggle against Bulky Ground-types who can wall a lot of this team. You also are lacking a Stealth Rocks setter but I’ll try to ensure that your team still keeps that relatively offensive route with your VoltTurn.

Major Changes:

• So to begin, I’ve removed Raikou and gave you Zeraora which is a known VoltTurn core and these two provide useful synergy since Mega Beedrill can revenge and remove Latias which walls Zeraora. Zeraora can also help a little against Ground-types by virtue of Grass Knot and can often scare them from switching in or harming them which can help out the Bee. Zeraora does require careful prediction though so assess your opponent’s patterns to utilize Zeraora to the fullest.
  • Next up, I wanted to offer some hazard removal that can actually deal with bulky Grounds so that’s when Tsareena comes into play. The Rapid Spin Tsareena set with a Lum Berry has been a much more solid set atm due to it having the one time pinch berry to assist it against bully Waters that spam Scald and also winning the hazard game against bulky Grounds. Even without a Choice Band or Meadow Plate, Power Whip does some big damage against the mons that Tsareena check. Tsareena is also able to put a stop against Bisharp and help against Scizor due to Queenly Majesty since Zeraora should never be a Scizor check.
  • I now needed something that could deal with Fighting-types and Doublade ended up fitting onto the team due to it providing great synergy with Bisharp as it is a Fighting-type check for it, is a second Dragon resist which puts less pressure on Bisharp, and can be a secondary wincon. Doublade is carrying Sacred Sword on this build so that it can break through bulkier Steels after a Swords Dance boost for Bisharp. Doublade also acts as a spinblocker to prevent opposing Rapid Spinners from removing hazards from your team.
  • Finally, this team still needed a bit of a defensive backbone and it needed a Ground immunity, a rocker, and an Electric immunity since Zeraora doesn’t really cut it. Gligar is capable of compressing all of these roles into one mon. It also gives you your 3rd mon with U-turn to make pivoting even easier and also can be a decent check against Scarfed Hydreigon.
Minor Changes:
  • Fell Stinger on Mega Beedrill just doesn’t work ever. Mega Beedrill always tends to force out switches so you’ll never really pull the Fell Stinger off to get that boost in a serious game. So much like the other rates, I’m replacing it and giving you Toxic Spikes. This move gives Mega Beedrill some utility behind it and Mega Beedrill gets many opportunities throughout the game to set them up due to it forcing switches. Toxic Spikes also compliment your sweepers nicely. You also are quite anti-removal with Bisharp discouraging Defog and Doublade blocking Rapid Spins.
  • You didn’t have a Z-Move on anything and while it isn’t mandatory, I think that Darkinium on your Bisharp is a fine item. Darkinium is capable of breaking Gligar and Quagsire after a little bit of chip damage before hand which is really beneficial for Doublade. Dread Plate can still be used for that extra power but Darkinium overall looks like a better pick imo.
And that’s everything! This team is much more interesting due to it being a rather undefined offense and not HO. VoltTurn Offense is what I’d call this not thinking about it. This team can have a some issues against Scarf Krook but it deals with pretty much everything else on my list of threats. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Beedrill-Mega (F) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Toxic Spikes

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

Bisharp (M) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Tsareena @ Lum Berry
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)